Listen

Around the Campfire

Janie sits beside me waiting for me to say what I needed to say. I wipe the running tear off my cheek letting out a sigh. I really hate crying and I try so hard to stop but for some reason my body is making it absolutely impossible and the thought of my mom getting hurt kept popping up in my head making me cry more. Janie hands me a tissue out of her bag. 

"I usually don't do this..."

Janie shakes her head patting my arm reassuringly. She gives me a smile wiping my tears away with another tissue. I'm a guy I shouldn't be crying like a kid who let go of their balloon. I feel like I need to get this anger off my back. 

"It's okay Ji Yong it's okay to cry. Everyone cries no matter how tough they are. I'm here to listen and it's only going to be between you and me."

Once I finally stopped the waterworks I took a breath ready to talk. 

"What I think the reasoning of my sleep walking is that I am low key worrying constantly about my Mom and my unborn baby sister. My dad and her are separated they both want a divorce. A few nights ago, right before I left to come here, they got into a fight. My dad can't keep his hands to himself. Since she announced she was pregnant he's been mean to her constantly harassing her and threatening to hurt her and the baby. She's a head strong woman and knows how to fight back, but I'm afraid he's going to hurt her. I do not trust him Janie."

Janie nods like she understands. 

"Ji Yong I came out of a three year abusive relationship nearly two months ago, I know how it feels. It isn't fair to you that your father makes you worry like that."

She pulls out her cell phone and dials my mom's number putting on speakerphone.

"Here call your Mom and talk to her."

The phone rings three times and I hear a click.

"Hello?"

"Hi Mom."

I smile happy to hear my Mom's voice. I wipe away an incoming tear. Seriously I became an emotional wreck. See what these people did to me?

"Ji Yong! Hi honey! How are you? I miss you so much."

"I'm okay I just miss you that's why I wanted to talk for a bit. How are you? How's my sissy?"

I hear her sigh and my aunt talking in the background. I'm imagining her sitting on the couch relaxed with her fleece blanket watching the People's Court. My aunt is probably waiting on her hand and foot.

"I'm alright. Your aunt is staying with me for a while. Your sister has been playing kick ball in my belly for the past day. She's doing well."

I sigh relieved to hear that her and the baby is doing well. I'm glad to hear that my aunt is there. I know for certain that he won't be in the house while she is there. She's safe for now. I clear my throat.

"I take it Dad is out of the house?"

"Yeah he's gone. He moved out of the house to go live with his friend. I'm waiting for some paperwork and my lawyer to call. I told you not to worry about me sweetheart. He hasn't been here since you left. He won't dare to hurt me. I'll let you know if anything happens."

It's at that moment I felt 100 pounds being lifted from my chest. I am so happy to know that he is no longer at the house. He made the best decision on leaving. I doubted from the start that he was going to stay there through the whole pregnancy anyway. 

"Okay Sweetheart I need to use the bathroom for the third time in an hour I'll see you in a couple days at the Family Visitation. I love you so much and behave yourself."

"I will Mom I love you too. Tell auntie and Mary Kate I said hello."

I give Janie back her phone. She hung up and looks at me smiling.

"Feel Better?"

I nod. I am feeling a lot better. It's crazy how much stress can be released just by talking to somebody. We stand and continue to walk down the trails. She asks me questions about my mom and if I'm excited for my baby sister. Of course I'm excited I've always wanted a sibling. I'm going to be a big brother. I'm going to be there for my sister no matter what. God have mercy on the kid who messes with her or makes her cry. I'll be their living nightmare. 

The nature took a bit longer than expected. We did find the others, they were laying on the big rocks they were exhausted from walking. The did a .8 miles, I only did half. I see Daesung sweating and nearly wheezing. I offer him a drink of my water. He inhales a puff of his inhaler.

"God I'm boiling."

I take a green leaf off the tree nearby and wave it in front of his face. 

"Cool off."

I wave it closer flapping my hand harder.

"Cool off."

"Ji Yong it's not help-"

"Cool off."

He got tired of me brushing a green leaf against his cheek and shoves me away. I take a deep breath and blow on his skin then busting out into a laugh. 

"Ji Yong Stoooppp..."

"Okay I'll stop toasty."

I get off the rock focusing my attention to a medium length tree with thick low branches. I climb up the tree wrapping my arms around the branch then my legs. I look down from the 10 feet height. 

"I'm a sloth!"

Janie told me to get down then Seung Hyun joins me in the branch below me. He giggles. 

"This is fun!"

Hong Ki is on the adjacent branch. He's hanging by just his legs.  He makes peace signs. I gasp like I've won a million dollars.

"My sloth family! You've returned! This is the happiest day of my life!"

Seungri, Daesung, and Taeyang don't seem amused. They must think we're off our rocker. We notice Gabe is almost 15 feet up in a neighboring tree that is about 30 feet tall in height. He is hanging onto a branch with one hand and has his left foot. He had out beat us.

"Don't you three feel ridiculous now?"

Janie had enough and commanded that we get down this instant. We obey as she scolds Gabe for being "a bad influence to campers". Heck I'm starting to like him at least he can have fun. Janie told us it was time to get Seung Hyun from the kitchen so we can go swimming. Seungri complains that he needed to pee. I pointed to trees.

"Pick one just don't pee in any bushes they can be poison ivy. You don't want rashes down there."

We all laugh. Seungri held it until we got to the bathroom as soon as we were out of the hiking trail. From behind the bathroom we see Mack come running out snorting. Janie picks him up giving him pets. It's crazy how every dog over can go from their normal speaking tone to a high pitch baby talk tone.

"Mack, Aww you poor baby, you're lost again aren't you? Yes you are. Oh yes you are. Ah! You kissed me! How cute!"

She radios Bella saying she found Mack and then held him up like he's in the Lion King. I'm very surprised from that height that dog was held up at, he didn't pee on her or barf. Or both.

"Mack is the king of Oakwood!"

Gabe gently takes poor shaking Mack out of Janie's hands and held him to his chest. 

"Janie he's quite full of himself as it is don't say he's king. He's a PRINCE."

He holds him outward shaking his paw to us. Mack snorts.

"He said hello peasants."

We all take turns passing Mack around playing with him and saying he's royalty. I held him in my arms and place my hat on his head. He his nose.

"I now crown the Pug Prince Mack."

"PUG PRINCE MACK!"

He struts around as if he really was royalty puffing his tail then peeing on a tree. Bella comes from the Red trail looking for Mack carrying his leach. 

"Mack? Mack?!"

Mack hears his name and runs toward his owner barking. She catches him attaching his leach to his collar.

"For God's sake you crazy dog stop running away from me."

We cross our arms at her.

"Hey! Is that  any way to speak to our Prince of Oakwood?"

Confused at first then she laughs at our little joke. She squats to pet Mack.

"I've left you alone for five minutes and you become a prince."

She thanks us walking off with her dog. We go into the kitchen to get Seung Hyun. We hear music blaring from Phyllis's Bluetooth speaker. They were both dancing and singing to Uptown Funk. It looks like they were having the time of their lives. 

It was nearly impossible to hold back the growing laugh building in my gut. My face had to be beet red form watching a elderly woman and a dorky kid dance like their in a club. Gabe had just about died from laughing too damn hard. The others just watch with jaws dropped. Janie came in and stopped dead in her tracks seeing the two dance.

"Oh my God."

Seung Hyun squeaked, freezing in mid dance seeing us standing there. Phyllis just cleared and continued to finish dishes. She had no shame whatsoever. Seung Hyun's face turned pink. We busted into fits of giggles. Gabe held up nine fingers.

"9 outta 10."

The moment passed we notice the sweet smell of funnel cake. It reminded me when Mom and I used to go to a fall carnival as a kid. It's my favorite. We immediately grew hungry. Phyllis carries a hot pan of funnel cakes, paper cups, juice, paper plates, utensils, powder sugar, three different kinds of sprinkles (go figure), and flavored ice cream sauces to her cart telling us to go to our table. We sit down as she gives us good size servings of the greasy goodness. Before digging in to toppings we all bow.

"Thank you Phyllis."

"You're welcome!"

We all start eating. She comes over behind me hugging my shoulders then pouring hundreds of sprinkles on my funnel cake making me smile.

"More sprinkles for my Sprinkles."

After eating we help clean up thanking her once more for the funnel cake. We leave to go get changed to go swimming. It was definitely a great day to be in the water. It was past 10 am and it was 81 degrees. I change into my swim shirt and shorts. My belly started hurting but I brushed it off as nothing and walked with the rest of the team. 

Gabe said I will be Seung Hyun's swim buddy because he did not have one the other day. We got to the lake and I admit that it looks like loads of fun. The dock had a diving board and a rope swing. Tons of beach balls. I saw a tall woman with blond hair wearing a red lifeguard bathing suit she climbed up in the chair. I have one word to describe her: HOT. 

When she got our buddy count she blew her whistle saying it's okay to swim. Everyone assigned to the deep end including us dove in nearly at once splashing everyone in the intermediate area. Hong Ki sneakily swims beside me pinching my ankle making me squeak. He surfaces laughing at me. I splash him with a huge push of water. A random camper tabs my shoulder. 

"Hey I accidentally lost a silver ring over beside the dock. I can't get it can you see if you can find it?"

I nod telling Seung Hyun I'll be back and follow the camper to the dock looking around. I didn't really see anything. As I continued to look by the edge I heard the camper laugh he gave me a evil smirk. 

The same time I found out I was tricked, I felt a rough shove and I fell in the water. I flail my arms trying to surface. My head lifted above the water I notice that waves were bringing me further from the dock. The water pass the buoys had to be about 12 feet deep. I'm in the boating area. I kept sinking and I went under the water going to the bottom. Moving my arms and legs seemed to make it worse.

My lungs and head ached from holding my breath for so long. I made one last attempt to resurface but failed. I'm usually a good swimmer and I had no idea why I could not resurface. I close my eyes slowly letting my mind darken.