Enemy

Around the Campfire

Our team sits on the edge of the dock awaiting for instructions for what to do. Hong Ki tells Seung Hyun to move away from me and sit by him. I give an eye roll to him. Seung Hyun looks at me then back at Hong Ki.

"No thanks, I want to stay here."

Hong Ki stands up and assists Seung Hyun to his feet. He grabs his arm.

"Come on buddy please move away from this monster before you get hurt."

Oh Hell No. 

"You know Hong Ki if you clean the crap out of your ears and use that little pea size thing in your head called a brain you'd hear that he said: HE WANTED TO STAY THERE!"

"Why?! So you can bully him? He's had enough of your bull crap!" 

He roughly shoves me. I stand up quickly shoving him back. He tosses his book bag aside ready to go standing in fighting stance. He threw the first punch hitting my stomach.

"You want to go down Hong Ki?! I'll snap you like a twig!"

I grab his shirt lifting him off the ground. I pick him up by his waist and shove him backwards over my shoulder. The team watches us fight in complete shock. I toss him on the ground again. He throws a rock that hit me in the sore spot of my head. I howl in pain then grab him by his neck. 

"You're gonna pay for that with your broken teeth."

I press him on the ground of the dock leaning all my weight on top of him so he cannot move. I drew my arm back my hand in a tight fist. 

"KWON JI YONG! Let him go!"

I hear Janie's voice holler from the entrance of the lake. I look at Hong Ki then at her. Of course this probably looks bad. I just made nice with Seung Hyun and now I have someone smaller than me on the ground ready to punch his teeth down his throat. Janie rushes over.

"Get off him now!"

I obey, Janie helps Hong Ki up brushing the dirt off his outfit. I cross my arms giving Hong Ki death stares. 

"Ji Yong I was wrong I thought you changed when you made nice with Seung Hyun now you are being vicious to Hong Ki. Seriously what were you thinking?"

I was thinking that this snot is going to be leaving on a gurney teeth less and unconscious? I was not going to take bull crap from him whatsoever. I have no problem defending myself. You're yelling at me when HE started it and threw the first punch? 

"Janie he threw the first punch!"

I point to him and he holds out his arms like he had no idea what on earth I was talking about. She grasps my sweatshirt I sharply pull away slapping her hand away.

"Do not touch me!"

She tells me to follow her. I follow behind her proceeding to give Hong Ki death stares and thinking about how to plot revenge. 

Itching powder? Super glue his hand to his crotch? Maybe mow his hair off while he sleeps? 

Janie tells me to wait outside for her as she goes inside the nurse's cabin with  Hong Ki. 15 minutes pass and she still hasn't come out. Maybe Kendra wrapped her up in gauze like a mummy and threw her in the trash. I laugh to myself thinking how funny that would be. Luna came by and pats my shoulder. 

"Hi Ji Yong! I got a letter for you."

She hands me a pink sealed envelope that says: 

To: Ji Yong 

From: Mom

I quickly open the envelope. Inside is a letter and a ultrasound picture of my baby sister. I read the letter:

Hi Son,

I know it's been a couple days I'm sorry to hear that you don't like it there but try to adjust and try to have fun. I know that you are a fun person and can think of ways to make any situation entertaining. I do miss you too. I went to the doctor earlier than my appointment time today and he says that your sister is healthy as can be and there seems to be no problems with anything. She's kicking around which I'm sure means that she misses hearing her big brother's voice. 

I've finally got the nursery finished and I'm waiting for a painter tomorrow to paint the room pink. Your aunt is going to live with us for a little while for a reason that I will explain another time. I called the other night to ask how you were doing, in reply they told me that you were having a hard time making friends.

I know that there is that one kid that you don't like but please at least try to be nice to him and the other campers. I know you are a nice kid and this rebel personality that you seem to have isn't the real you but more of a mimic of what you were taught. There is a lot going on right now but don't let that make you into something that you are not. I love you very much and I'd rather have you there than at the detention center. I love you more than anything and I want to see you be a happy and independent kid. We all have that one person we want to be mean to but in the end what is it worth? 

The camp informed me that there is a family visitation day in a week. I am intending on going but if for any reason that I will not be able to make it to the family day they said that you can call me on the office phone or allow you to have your phone for a short time so you can video chat me. 

That's it for now. I love you very much! Stay strong for me!

Love, Mom.

 

Closing the paper I wipe a growing tear from my eye. My only concern is Why did she go to the doctor earlier. Luna looks at the ultrasound picture with a big smile.

"Awww is this your sister??"

I nod studying every detail of her little eyes, hands, feet, and toes. She is absolutely adorable. My heart warms up seeing this little baby. I remember seeing the first ultrasound. She was a little pea spot on the screen now she's a whole human being! Luna tells me she needed to leave. I sit at the bench in front of the nurse's cabin not taking my eyes off my little sister's face. I heard the door swing open and out comes Janie. She sits next to me.

"Okay, Gabe talked to the other campers. All four of them said that Hong Ki did provoke and he will be punished for it. As for you, you need to stop going bear attack on people. If there is a problem you let the staff know and we will take care of it."

I shake my head feeling my blood beginning to boil. For some reason my mind was brought back to middle school. I was this 13 year old being tormented. At first I wouldn't fight back I told the principal who would say he'd do something about it but never did. I started getting tougher and one day when my bully decided to bother me I fought back. He lost real quickly. He never bothered me again.

"Janie... I am no weakling who runs with my tail between my legs. I will stand up for myself. I won't cry to someone only to not have anything done."

She blinks then nods like she seems to understand. 

"If it'll get you to stop fighting people can I give you my sincere promise that if you come to me with any issue no matter the severity I will take care of it? I don't want you fighting anymore. It's not okay by any means to do that. If you were older and you fight someone like that you'll go to jail. Please promise me that you will try not to do that again?"

I sigh. There's really no promise to it. I know how to resist temptation but if I need to I will fight back. It's just me. I nod slowly and stand up accidentally dropping my letter and picture. She picks it up for me and notices the picture.

"Oh my Gosh who is that adorable cutie?"

"That's my little sister she's going to be born in a couple months."

She smiles big adoring the details of her little body.

"What's her name going to be?"

I shrug.

"My mom is thinking about Mary-Kate. She says she always wanted to name a child Mary-Kate."

Janie says she loves that name and says that she has a niece in law with the same name. We hear Hong Ki step outside. Janie greets him. Hong Ki stands in front of me. He bows respectfully. My god we both look like we went through hell and back. I shake my head.

"No need to bow to me man. You're okay. I'm sorry for going all WWE on you."

"I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have acted out."

Of course Janie had to ruin the moment she claps her hands happily. I don't know what's with her but something about people making up gets the rainbow popping out and gets the My Little Pony vibe going. She gets a text then says she needed to leave and she trusts that we will make it back to the canoe area safely. 

We were almost there when we both felt a rough shove. We both fell back. Hong Ki looked up and in pure fear he peed his pants. He runs behind a tree nearly in tears We see a guy assuming he is a camper he was wearing a team Purple shirt. He stands taller than the both Hong Ki and I. He wears black jeans and military combat boots. My eyes widened. 

"Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum which huge beanstalk did you fall from?"

He pulls me up on my feet with one sharp yank.

"Who are you?"

He stares into my eyes doing a great job intimidating me. The stare of his blue eyes is so cold it made me wiggle completely uncomfortable. 

"I am your worst nightmare Sprinkles."