Chapter 4

At 2 in the morning

 

" And then Jooheon came over, you know, the redhead with the dimples."

"Not the creepy guy from the supermarket?"

"No no. That's Hyungwon. Where was I… yes. And then Jooheon came over and said he couldn't find the diabetes book Hoseok was looking for."

"No!" Minhyuk gasps.

"Yes. And all of sudden Hoseok got totally awkward. He pulled Jooheon away, talking about romance novels he saw in the pregnancy area."

Kihyun stirs around in his coffee, pouting as he remembers the happenings of the morning he can't quiet sort the out.

It's already late, around 11 in the night, and today Minhyuk and him share their shift. The shop is almost empty and they just took a seat behind the counter for a small coffee break.

" I'm really not sure why he was looking for that. It couldn't be because of me, could it?"

Minhyuk brandishes his spoon through the air and a bit of cream almost ends up on Kihyuns face.

"That guy is totally into you! Even you need to realise now!"

"You think so?"

"He's buying books to check out about your sickness."

Kihyun stares into his cup. " It could be because of another reason."

" If you come up with another reason please tell me. On top of buying that book he totally freaked out when dimple man brought it up in your presence."

Kihyun nods slowly. " That was really strange."

Minhyuk glares at him. " What is strange about that? He was clearly embarrassed in front of you.", he tips his spoon against his lips." He doesn't look like it but he must be on the shy side."

" That sounds way too easy."

"Kihyun… things don't always have to be complicated. You've watched too many movies. That's the problem. Sometimes people meet and instantly feel drawn to each other. And then they end up together. Without drama."

Kihyun can't help but to smile at Minhyuks words. His friends grins devilishly at pokes his side.

" Someone seems to like the thought of it. Are you a tiny bit in love?"

Kihyun holds his cup in both hands, enjoying the warmth. " I feel… comfortable around him. And awkward all the time because he makes me blush and my stomach is a mix of… everything. I want to spend more time with him…"

"So cute.", Minhyuk cooes." Next time you see him invite him to a date."

Kihyuns eyes widen. " Nooo!"

"Why not?"

"What if he says no."

"In what parallel universe would this guy say no to the cutie who is my best friend?"

" Just because you're smitten by me doesn't mean everyone is."

Minhyuk lifts an accusing eyebrow. " Please. I might be the most rational one around when it comes to you. I saw you at your worst. Remember the stomach flu two years ago?"

"Don't bring it up." Kihyun says, a shiver running down his spine.

Minhyuk pinches his cheek.

" No need to worry.", he lets go off Kihyuns cheek. " But seriously, Kihyun. He is so awkward around you, he definitely likes you."

Kihyuns phone goes off in his jacket hanging next to the staff rooms door.

"We'll see." he answers and gets up to answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Hyung. It's me, Changkyun."

"Hey.", Kihyun happily answers. "How are you?"

He hasn't talked to the other since the last time they met in the shop.

"I'm good. But hyung, are you okay? Hyungwon told me something about you having diabetes. Why didn't you tell me?"

Kihyun slightly chuckles when he hears the worry in the youngers voice.

Really, such a cutie.

"I'm fine, Changkyun. I've been dealing with this for years and others do, too. No need to worry."

" If you say so… I will still keep an eye on you though."

"That means you'll come visit me again?"

"Of course." Changkyun answers with so much determination that Kihyun feels like he has offended the younger with that simple question.

" Hyung. I was wondering if you wanted to visit us some time. We can eat together, play some game, watch a movie, whatever."

Kihyun is taken aback for a second.

Visiting them would mean also seeing Hoseok.

" Of course you can also bring your roommate over." Changkyun adds when the silence grows too long.

"Just a second, Changkyun."

Kihyun covers the device with his hand.

" Changkyun asks if we want to hang out with them some time." He mouths over to his friend and Minhyuk almost falls over his own feet when he jumps up too fast.

" We're coming!"

Kihyun facepalms.

If Minhyuks favourite example the Pope didn't hear that it would be a miracle.

"As you might heard already, we're coming over."

He almost sees Changkyuns bright smile in front of him.

" Great. When do you have time?"

"Hmm…", Kihyun thinks for a second. " How does tomorrow evening sound?"

"Perfect. Around half past 6?"

"Well be there."

"Okay hyung. I'll text you the address later."

With that he hangs up and Kihyun stays like this for a second, trying to figure out how he ended up like this.

Minhyuk jumps up and down. "We're really going?"

"Seems like it."


                                                                                                         OOO
 

The next evening comes a bit too early for Kihyuns liking. He left the bookshop on time, only to find himself in front of his wardrobe, in deep desperation trying to find something decent to wear.
He decides he doesn't own anything.

"Minhyuk!"

He throws himself into his best friends arms when he comes home around 5.

"Who died?"

"I have nothing to wear."

"That is a whole lot worse than someone dying.", Minhyuk pulls of his jacket. " We're just going over to their home. Wear something casual."

"I want to look good."

"You will look good in everything. Come on.", he takes Kihyun by the hand and guides him back to his bedroom. " I can't believe you're whining about clothes."

"It's important..." Kihyun mumbles and takes the shirt Minhyuk gives him. It is plain white and he didn't even think about pulling it out from the depths of his wardrobe.

" Get your black trouser and the jeans shirt over it and you're good to go."

"You're a genius, Minhyukkie."

" A genius that needs a shower."

He ruffles through Kihyuns hair and leaves him alone to change into his clothes.

                                                                                                                      OOO

Saying that he isn't nervous would be a lie.

Of course he is.

Enough that his hands are a bit clammy and his heart might beat a bit faster from time to time. But it is okay because between all the nervousness there is excitement. He is happy to meet everyone again. He wants to get to know Changkyun and Jooheon a bit better and maybe he can finally have a nicer conversation with Hyungwon.
But most of all he wants to see Hoseok. Really really badly, he has to admit and it makes him walk down the road to their destination a bit too fast.

" Kihyun…" Minhyuk yells from behind.

" What is it?"

"Why are we sprinting down the road since we've left the subway?"

Kihyun stops in his tracks and waits until Minhyuk reaches him. " We're not sprinting."

"Come here, nervous princess.", Minhyuk links their arms. " I know you want to see him but can you not look that desperate."

"I'm not running because of him!"

One glare and he is quiet.

They bicker their way down the street and soon arrive in front of the apartment building Changkyun described in an earlier message.

Minhyuk nods at Kihyun. " Let's go."

Kihyun rings at the door and soon a voice answers through the intercom.

" Yes?"

"Ehm… it's Kihyun and Minhyuk."

No answer.

Only the door slides open and the two walk inside and into the elevator.

"Which floor did he say?"

"7th."

Minhyuk pushes the button and the elevator starts moving.

" Now I'm getting a tiny bit nervous too." Minhyuk says around the 4th floor.

"You can't. You need to be my strength today."

"I will never reach your level of nervousness so it is fine."

With a small ding the elevator arrives at their destination and they leave it.

" It must be down there.", Kihyun points to their left. " Number 716."

"It's nice here. Looks quiet expensive." Minhyuk states as they make their way down the hallway.

" Ask me again later. I'm a nervous wreck."

Finally, they stand in front of the right door and Kihyun rings the doorbell.

First, there is nothing and for a second Kihyun is worried that they got the wrong door but then foot steps grow closer and someone opens the door from inside.
Someone Kihyun definitely doesn't know.
He has a short staring contest with the quiet muscular dark haired man the opened the door for them.

" Ehm… hello?"

"Hello." He answers with a deep soft voice and keeps looking back at them.

"Ehm… is this where Changkyun lives?"

"Yes."

Still he his not moving.

Kihyun loosens his collar, not knowing how to act.

"Hyunwoo hyung!"

He almost utters a short prayer when he hears Jooheons voice in the background. Soon, the redhead appears in the doorframe, softly patting the quiet ones upper arm.

" Sorry. Hyunwoo hyung isn't the biggest talker."

"Come in." So called Hyunwoo politely says and walks back in.

"Come in, come in. Is this Minhyuk? I'm Jooheon. Nice to meet you. Did you dye your hair yourself?"

" I wanted to ask the same. How did you manage to get it red like that?"

" Lots of beforehand bleaching at the hair salon."

" I feel you, bro."

Kihyun thinks that they might haven't looked for but still found each other.

They leave their shoes at the entrance and follow Jooheon into what looks like spacious living room.

" Welcome to our home.". he says, his arms proudly spread. " We live here with 5 people. Hyunwoo and Hoseok, and then there is Hyungwon, Changkyun and me."

Kihyun doesn't listen to him anymore.

His eyebrow might be switching again.

But there a boxer shorts on the ground. And a few socks. And is that a plate of left over noodles on the table in front of the TV?

" Kihyun.", Minhyuk just knows him too well. " Can I get to know them before you embarrass me too much?"

"Go ahead."

Jooheon follows Kihyuns gaze and breaks out into laughter. " I'm sorry. We already know you have some mania for cleaning and we really wanted to tidy things up but then Hyungwon took a nap and this new game came out last night and Hyunwoo hyung honesty doesn't care as long as he can walk into the kitchen and back to the living room. Hoseok hyung normally forces us to tidy things up but he has been working all day long and hasn't come back yet. He's going to kill us when he finds out we invited you and on top of that didn't clean up."

"Wait…", Kihyun slowly says. " Hoseok doesn't know we're here?"

Jooheon smiles only brighter and his eyes disappear. " Of course not."

Kihyun is frankly too lost for words. " Why wouldn't you…"

Minhyuk snorts as if he knows more than Kihyun. " I love them."

"Changkyun! Hyungwon!", Jooheon walks to a door and peeks into another room. " Save the game and come out. They're here."

Something hits the ground and someone hurries over to them.

" Kihyun hyung!"

A breathless Changkyun runs out of the door and almost falls over one of the socks on the ground.

" Calm down." Kihyun smiles at him.

"Hyung! You're too early! We haven't cleaned yet!"

"It is half past 6 though." Kihyun objects. Changkyuns eyes widen and he throws a quick glance at the clock above the door.

" Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"You didn't ask." A sleepy looking Hyungwon pushes himself through the door frame. Kihyun carefully looks at him. He remembers how hostile he has been towards him in the beginning and even though the younger has been a bit friendlier in the end Kihyun is still careful. But he doesn't have to worry. Hyungwons gaze meets his and a small but earnest smile plays on his full lips. " Hello hyung. It is nice you came over."

"Hey, Hyungwon."

It takes a load off his mind.

" Do you want a cookie?"

Hyunwoo is back from the immersion he hid himself in and offers the package to Kihyun and Minhyuk.

Kihyun finds him cute. Like really really cute even though he has a lot of muscles and looks like he could kill people.

"Woah. Thanks. I'm so hungry I could die. You like chocolate?" Minhyuk takes a cookie.

Hyunwoo takes long gaze at the cookie package.

"Yes."

"Ah. Me too. Good choice, good choice." Minhyuk rumbles with his mouth full.

Kihyun declines when he offers him. " Sorry. I can't."

He almost laughs out loud when Changkyun looks like he wants to cry and Jooheon sighs deeply. "Guys. It is fine. No need to look like that."

"But cookies…"

"There a diabetic friendly cookies. Everything is good. But...", his gaze wanders to the ground." You would do me a favour if you'd let me... you know..."

Minhyuk swallows his last piece of cookie and takes another one. " You really want to clean this up, don't you?"

Kihyun nods eagerly. " I'd love to."

                                                                                                           OOO

It is shortly after 7 when someone puts in the code and opens the door.

With a loud thud it closes.

Kihyun is just busying himself with taking the socks from the ground and he is quiet happy that they are washed and still wonders why they were lying there to begin with.

" I hate my life."

Hoseok whines and while Kihyun needs to keep it together because did he really miss his voice that much Jooheon and Minhyuk exchange gazes and can barely contain their laughter.

"You think anybody minds when I stick my boss into a trash can and throw him into Hankang?"

His whining comes closer and soon Hoseok in all of his glory walks into the living room, a deep frown on his face. He is wearing a black suit ( yes, a black suit, Kihyun might get a heart attack) and loosens his black tie as he walks inside.

" Why do I even ask? I would get a decoration. A promotion. Become the ruler of the world." He throws his suit jacket on the ground and falls face first into the comfortable couch, still not aware of anything or anyone in the room.

He slams his face into the pillow a few times before he finally lifts his head and gazes into the room with a big pout.

" Someone make me ramy--"

He stops midesentence.

Slowly his eyes widen and he stares at Kihyun who sits two metres away, one sock in each hand.

" Kihyun?"

"Hello."

"Why are you collecting socks in my living room?"

"Because I couldn't deal with them lying around and they let me."

"Ahh.", Hoseok nods slowly, absentmindedly blinking and looking as if he just tries to figure out the meaning of life

The next second he is back on his feet.

" Jooheon! I'm going to kill you!"

The addressed weicht flinches. " Why me?!"

"Who else would come up with such an idea??"

"Aren't you happy they came over?" Changkyun innocently asks from the corner.

" Of course I'm happy that Kihy-- that they came over!! But--- oh----", he turns around in a circle.." Why didn't you tell me? The apartment looks like … I look like… why didn't you clean?? Why is he cleaning?!"

It might be this moment where Kihyun realises that he will fall deeply in love with this guy if he keeps hanging around him. He feels warmth for him, incredible warmth, and his heart seems to spill with affection for the boy that can't seem to calm down.

"Who came up with this idea?? Hyunwoo?? Why didn't you stop them?!"

Hyunwoo bites into another cookie and keeps silent.

" Hoseok."

" I'm so sorry you had to witness this, Kihyun. Do you know how many times I've told Hyungwon to put away his boxer shorts?"

"Hoseok…"

"It goes out as fast as it gets in!"

"Hey…"

"How could they keep this from me?!"

He doesn't know why and how and he won't survive until tomorrow because he won't be explain to Minhyuk but it doesn't matter because his hand already reached out and grabbed Hoseoks, keeping him from turning in circles once more.

Hoseok stops in his moving.

He looks down at Kihyun, his features inscrutable.

" It's fine. Really.", Kihyun smiles so brightly he almost feels his dimples. " Everything is perfectly okay. So you can calm down."

And so Hoseok does.

While Minhyuk and Jooheon high five in the background.