Chapter 5

At 2 in the morning

 

 

Kihyun doesn't know how he ended in this position.
His position you ask yourself?
On a bench.
Somewhere outside.
Head comfortably resting in Hoseoks lap.
Not that he hates that detail at all.

 


"You ready?"

Hoseok waits for him next to the door.

Kihyun is not ready, not at all. Never was and now that he takes Hoseok in  all of his casual glory and can't decide if this or the suit look is better, he is a dead loss.

"Let's go." he nevertheless says with as much courage as he can muster and follows Hoseok out to the elevator.

Minhyuk and Kihyun were invited to hang out with them but none of the younger ones thought about filling their almost empty fridge with food which led to Hoseok having another mental breakdown, Kihyun trying to assure him that it is fine and Minhyuk and Jooheon telling them that they should just go and buy groceries together.

"I'm still sorry for this, you know." Hoseok starts after he pressed the button for the elevator.

Kihyun stops him with a wave of his hand. "It's quiet a lot of fun."

Hoseok smiles at him. "You sure?"

"Totally."

"That's good to know. Because I'm actually quiet happy you came over."

Me, too, Hoseok. Me too.

In all his nervousness, it is more than comfortable to talk to Hoseok. Even though they are alone in the most awkward situation one can end up, alone with each other in an elevator, it is fine.

He feels hot, his hands clammy, but it is fine.

Because earlier, when he realised how easy it would be to love the other, something fell into place for Kihyun.

Either way, they will end up together and he will be happy, or he will get rejected and will be sad for quiet the while.

But still, it is easy.

Not complicated, just as Minhyuk said.

As easy as talking to Hoseok.

As easy as falling in love with him.

" Your dimples. They're cute." Hoseok says.

He leans against the wall and Kihyun only then realises that for the past five floors he has been deeply lost in his thoughts.

He touches the spot Hoseok mentioned.

"I got used to it."

"You didn't like them before?"

" Who always likes the most prominent part of oneself?"

Hoseok purses his lips and looks a him, so long that Kihyun starts to feel uneasy in his skin. He awkwardly loosens his  collar . "There is something on my face?"

"What?"

"You're staring at me."

"I… what...oh. Sorry. I didn't notice. "

 

They arrive on the first floor and Hoseok hurries out of the elevator.

" I easily get lost in my thoughts." he explains to Kihyun as they leave the building and walk down the street to the supermarket.

" Me, too. And then everyone things I'm a creeper."

"I feel your pain. Once I was in a club and I was wondering about how long it takes to get alcohol out of your system. The thing you learn in driving classes. And I just stood there and stared into nothing but then this girl took it as if I was so into her, she didn't leave me alone for the whole night."

Kihyun thinks it is quiet funny.

He also hates the story a whole lot.

Something clicks in Hoseoks head and he frantically shakes his head. " Not that I would have been interested in her either…way…", his voice turns quiet in the end and he starts to fan air to his face. " Is it me or is it hot out here?"

Kihyun tilts his head. "It must be you. The weather is getting colder lately."

An affectionate smile forms on his lips. It almost feels like Hoseok is as nervous as him.

Misery loves company.

" It's nice." Hoseok says.

"What?"

"That smile of yours.", they stop at a street, waiting for the traffic light to turn green. "Makes me feel like calming down."

"You need to calm down?"

"Maybe."

"Why?"

They share a gaze and when the light turns green Kihyun wants to cross the street but a hand on his upper arm stops him.

He didn't notice the taxi that drove over the green light.

"Thanks…" he mumbles, feeling only the hand on his arm.

Hoseok is the first one to break the following silence, his cheeks turning obviously red.

"You--", he starts and ruffles his blonde hair, accompanied by a deep groan. " This is ridiculous."

"You okay?"

"I wished I was…"

"Can I do something for you?"

"You could. You definitely could."

" What is it?"

"Kihyun." Hoseok all of sudden says with a stern voice and Kihyun notices how close he is. Close enough to hug him or…

Retreat, Kihyun!

" I really tried to be cool but it is even difficult to go to the supermarket like this and since my friends are oh so subtle I think even an idiot would have known by now."

"Pardon?"

Hoseok swallow heavily. "So, before I keep acting like an idiot and can finally be a bit more relaxed around you I was wondering…"

Kihyun waits for him to finish his sentence, but nothing comes out.

"Hoseok?"

"I was wondering…"

"I got that."

"I was wondering. If… if you might want to go on a date with me!" The last word comes put almost too fast to understand but Kihyun gets the important part and his heart literally skips a beat.

Hoseok stares to the ground, head ducked, heavily breathing, his hands in shaking fists.

Kihyun wants to laugh out loud.

Not at Hoseok.

Of course not.

This embarrassed, adorable human being in front of him… how could he?

That question, it made him happy, gave him a happiness he hasn't felt to that extent for a long time.

Minhyuk was right.

Sometimes things aren't complicated.

They are so easy and he is not even surprised how easily he can give him an answer.

" I'd love to. Tell me where and when and I'll be there. "

Hoseok lifts his head with a start. " What?"

"You asked me out on a date and I said yes."

" Yes but… what?!"

"Yes."

"You're sure?"

Kihyun chuckles and he really wished he would know what is the best to do but the only thing coming out are his chuckles.

" I'm so sorry, Hoseok. I actually don't know what to do but I'm happy so I'm smiling at you like a maniac and… yes."

Hoseok looks at him in disbelief and Kihyun starts to sweat, because he is scared that his awkwardness destroyed everything but it takes only a second for Hoseok to break out into the gummy smile that Kihyun grew to love in only a few days.

" Be a maniac as much as you want as long as you don't take your yes back."

"I don't plan to."

"Promise." Hoseok holds his pinky out and Kihyun links it with his.

They hold their fingers like this for a moment too long but it is okay because both have a dumb smile on their faces and both are happy so it doesn't matter that people are staring at them strangely and that the traffic light turned green for the second time and they are still not moving.

 

 OOO

 

They slowly walk to the apartment building, both of them not in a hurry to get back to the others.
Hoseok forced Kihyun to put a whole lot of vegetables into the cart and Kihyun internally shhakes at the thought that Hoseok will be a second Minhyuk that controls his every step when it comes to his diabetes.

Hoseok hums lightly, happily swinging the bag he carries.

While it was a bit awkward in the beginning everything feels so much better now that Hoseok finally spoke out what both where thinking about.

Kihyun smiles at his profile. " You look happy."

"I am. Really happy~"

"I'm glad we saved your mood. You didn't sound too well when you came back home earlier."

Hoseok grimaces. "Don't remind me of it. I really hate my boss. I wished I had never started to work there."

" That bad?"

Hoseok shrugs. " It can't be helped."

"You seem to earn a lot of money though."

"Does it seem like it?"

Kihyun points at the apartment complex that slowly comes into view. " Your apartment speaks volumes."

" That's not thanks to my job."

"Rich parents?"

Hoseok winks at him. " Leave some questions for our real date."

Kihyuns face explodes into 1000 tomatoes and he fastens his step.

"Wait!", Hoseok hurries up to reach him, unsuccessfully trying to shut down this laughter.

" I'm sorry."

" You like to see me blushing?"

"A lot actually."

" Can you go back to being the embarrassed mess?"

" Not that soon."

Hoseok softly bumps his shoulder into Kihyuns and the latter just can't be mad at him.
It is close to the building when he feels the weakness in his knees for the first time and it takes only a moment for it to grow worse.
He curses internally when he feels his pockets and doesn't find his blood pressure pills next to his insulin. He must have left it in Minhyuks bag
He shakes his head when he starts to feel dizzy and grows slower before his stops.

Hoseok notices a few steps later.

He looks back at him . "You're okay?"

So annoying.

So embarrassing.

" I'm sorry. I need to sit down for a moment.", with shaky fingers Kihyun points to a close by bench. " I feel dizzy."

" You look quiet pale." Hoseok leaves the bag on the ground and is next to Kihyun a second later. Kihyun almost sighs in relieve when he feels his hands on his shoulder and the support keeps him from sinking on the ground.

"Can we sit?"

"Of course."

"I'm sorry…"

"Kihyun, no need to be sorry. Come.", Hoseok says and helps him over to the bench, the worry written all over his face. " Do you need the insulin?"

He helps Kihyun to slowly sit down and crouches in front of him, hands on Kihyuns knees.

Kihyun shakes his head, feeling so weak all of sudden .

" The diabetes influences my blood pressure."

Just a small lie.

Diabetes or kidneys, it doesn't matter.

All he knows is that his body is ing with him.

" Sometimes my blood pressure gets too high or too low. I have pills but I forgot them in the building."

"You need them?"

"I can just sit here for a moment. You can go in first."

"I'm not leaving you out here, Kihyun.", Hoseok says and Kihyun feels his warm hand on his cold cheeks. " You feel really cold."

Unconsciously of his act, he leans into Hoseoks hand and it feels like it is the only support he needs.

" Can you please not close your eyes, Kihyun? I feel like you're dying on me and that frankly freaks me out a whole lot."

" I'm not dying on you.", Kihyun mumbles. " I just feel really really tired."

"Yes… that didn't make it better. I'll call someone."

Kihyun would have protested any other moment but he is tired and dizzy and has to use all of his energy to fight the sleepiness because he doesn't want to worry Hoseok more.

Hoseok sits down next to him, his arm around Kihyuns shoulder so he can lean into him comfortably.

"Changkyun. Give me Minhyuk.…........yes....................just give him to me….............. no............... yes…. ................Minhyuk. Just Minhyuk."

If he had more energy Kihyun might have started to cry because of course he has to up things again.

Way to go.

"Minhyuk. Can you come down?… ..............No….......... No….................... He all of sudden told me he feels dizzy... ................No. He said he forgot......................... Yes… .....................We're sitting here. You should see us when you leave the building……. Yes…….......... Lay him down……. Okay………"

Hoseok hangs up. He gently straightens Kihyun and moves from his spot to the far end of the bench. " Lay your head on my lap, Kihyun."

"What?"

"Minhyuk said it is best for you to lay down. Come on."

Soft hands help him to get his head into the right position. Kihyun doesn't know when he rested that comfortable for the last time.

" That's comfy."

He blinks and Hoseok smiles down at him. " That's good to know."

He slowly runs his finger through Kihyuns hair while they wait.

"I'm bit worried now." Kihyun says.

He slightly mumbles because he really is tired.

"Why."

"I'm worried you will blow off the date because my body is a ."

For a moment the finger movement stops before it continues.

"Have a bit more faith in me, Kihyun. Nothing will stop me from going on this date with you."

" Seems like you want to go as badly as I do."

"Maybe a tiny bit more."

"No way."

" You're so talkative all of sudden."

Hoseok smiles down at him and Kihyun wonders if he looks at others the same. Because those dark eyes seem to engulf him with so much affection and he prays that he doesn't get the emotions behind it wrong.

"I told you I'm going to tattoo it to your forehead if you forget once again!" Minhyuks voice echoes through the street and Kihyun groans when he remembers the threat.

"Hyung! Are you alright?"

Hoseoks hand stops moving and instead of it warmly rests on Kihyuns head.

"He can still call his body a so I don't think he is close to dying."

"Seriously, Kihyun. Don't forget those.", Minhyuks shadow falls onto them. " You know it happens in the worst situations."

He crouches down next to the bench and climbers with a bottle of pills. Kihyun reaches out for it and with Hoseoks help manages to lift his body enough to take one.

"Give me five minutes."

"Are you really okay, Hyung?" Changkyun asks from behind the bench.

Kihyun lifts his thumb. " It's only my blood pressure. This hyung here just forgot his pills."

Hoseok takes his lifted hand in his.

" You're still cold."

And if it is the most normal thing in the world, he doesn't let go of the hand anymore. Between half closed lids Kihyun sees the meaningful gazes Minhyuk and Changkyun share and Hoseoks response almost sends Kihyun into another blood pressure induced rollercoaster.

" Just to inform you, I asked him out on a date and he said yes."

Kihyun closes his eyes in deep distress when Changkyun and Minhyuk coo in delight.

"Thanks for taking things into your hands, Hoseok. My Kihyun over here wouldn't have done it in 10 years. Don't know what I did wrong with this kid."

"Minhyuk…", Kihyun whines. " You're embarrassing me."

He feels Minhyuks soft pat on his forehead. " That's my job, my dearest friend."

Hoseok chuckles and presses Kihyuns hand.

" You okay?"

"I think the pills are slowly working."

" Sure?"

"Yes. I think I can sit up."

"Careful there."

Hoseok helps him to lift his upper body and soon he sits straight. For a moment he keeps his eyes closed, fully aware of Hoseoks hand that keeps resting on his back. When he opens his lids he can see everything clear again.

"It's fine."

Minhyuk eyes him from head to toe. " You sure?"

"I can walk."

"We can carry y-"

Kihyun frantically shakes his head before Changkyun can even end his sentence.

"Please. My pride is already hurt too deeply. Let me walk inside."

They let him after a short discussion he is not allowed to take part in. Minhyuk takes the bag he earlier carried while Changkyun takes the one Hoseok left on the ground.

Hoseok stays close by his side, his hand not leaving Kihyuns back as they slowly follow the others over to the building.

" I'm really sorry for all of this, Hoseok."

"I told you it's okay. You can't help it."

"I shouldn't have forgotten my pills."

Hoseok winks at him as they walk inside. " I take it my presence put you off your stride."

Hell.

How right he is.

                                                                                                                OOO
 

Kihyun gets seated on the comfy couch, Hyunwoo on his left and Hyungwon on his right. He feels well enough to help them with cooking but he gets yelled at as soon as he even tries to lift a finger and so he has to sit there and needs to endure how Jooheon almost boils vinegar in the pan and Minhyuk nearly stabs Changkyun when all he had to do was cutting tomatoes.

Hoseok comes over here and there, filling up Kihyuns cup once more, asking him if he is alright or just to give him something to taste.

He really isn't a nervous mess anymore.

Kihyun still can't believe that he is the reason for his earlier language problems, the red cheeks and stumbling.

" So… hyung asked you out on a date?" Hyungwon asks when Hoseok left them alone once again to go back to the eggs in the pan.

Kihyun is a bit startled. Have Minhyuk or Changkyun even talked to the younger since coming back?

Hyungwon seems to read his thoughts. "Changkyun texted me from outside."

Kihyun once again feels too embarrassed to answer and rubs the back of his neck.

" It is good though.", Hyungwon continues, his gaze on the television. " Hyung was getting annoying."

"Annoying?"

" He was whining a lot these days."

Kihyun almost forgot about Hyunwoo next to him and is startled by his sudden words.

"Whining a lot?"

Hyungwon nods, and finally there is a smile on his always so stoic face. " The worst day was when he found out Changkyun has your number. He couldn't quit ing about it."

"Oh…" Kihyun mumbles and looks down.

He smiles to the ground.

Cute.

" You and hyung seem to match well. I like you."

" You didn't seem to like me in the beginning though..." Kihyun notes.

Hyunwoo eats another cookie and Kihyun wants to tell him to stop because of dinner.

" Hyungwon thought you liked Changkyun and was jealous because he is his best friend." he says after swallowing the cookie.

"Hyung!"

"It's true."

It's good to know that even hostile looking Hyungwon is just jealous from time to time.

"Changkyun is like…. My baby. I need to look out for him." Kihyun explains.

"Yeah… he thinks he is cool but actually he needs to be pampered a lot."

Kihyun and Hyungwon share a knowing look.

" The tomatoes are burning!"

Okay.

That's it.

Kihyun is on his feet and hurries over to the open kitchen.

"Go away!" Minhyuk threatens him with a spoon.

" Tomatoes are burning! What are you even doing?! How can they burn?"

"It's fine, hyung.", Jooheon smiles his dimple smiles and tries to hide the flames behind his back. "Everything is under control."

"The eggs! Changkyun screeches.

"What could possibly go wrong with eggs?!"