Chapter 24

At 2 in the morning

 

 

Kihyun can do it, he is pretty sure of that.

It is a piece of cake.

Waiting until everyone is asleep, then quietly crawling out of bed, clothes already on. A few steps down the hallway, out the door, and then a short sprint to the elevator.

It will be easy.

As easy as getting in contact with Jihoon. He was surprised, that the old mobile number still worked, and only the more astonished that his call wasn't rejected just like that after all those years.

He manages to get out the door without making any noises. Just a few more steps through the dark - he didn't turn the lights on - and he can disappear into the safety of the elevator.

A few more steps...

Almost...

The lights are suddenly on, blinding him for a few seconds before he freezes halfway between the door and his safe haven.

" Told you he is planning something."

Kihyun doesn't dare to turn around.

Minhyuks voice sounds friendly, way too friendly and he knows when he faces him he is in for the scolding of a lifetime.

" I can explain." he presses out and it takes all of his courage to look at the gathering behind him. He forces his lips into his most innocent smile but there, Jooheon and Changkyun are already by his side and more or less carry him back inside, giving him the feeling of outmost humiliation. They don't even have to try that hard to lift him a few centimetres from the ground.

" Let me down.", Kihyun whines. " I can walk."

" Couch." Minhyuk commands and soon he finds himself between the soft pillows.

" Blanket."

Another order and Hyungwon covers him with the warm blanket they always use when they watch TV in the evening.

" I said I can explain."

" Aha." Minhyuk lifts his eyebrow, arms crossed in front of his chest.

Kihyun swallows heavily and tries to use the puppy eyes to save his neck but it is futile.

" Where the hell did you want to go to in the middle of the night?"

" Only to the--"

" Kihyun.", Minhyuk interrupts him. " Are you really trying to lie to me right now? I've know you way too long to fall for that bull. You've acted strangely all day long and you're going to tell us why."

" But--"

" No."

" I--"

" Nope."

" Min--"

" Yoo Kihyun!"

Use of his full name.

Kihyun knows that he is done for good. How could he possibly believe that he would be able to fool Minhyuk even for a second? That guy has a ing trouble radar when it his about trouble concerning him. These days only the more because they think Kihyun is made of glass.

Kihyun accepts his fate and decides there is no use in lying.

He hangs his head, contritely.

" I made plans with someone."

" Plans with someone?" Changkyun repeats in confusion.

" Yeah.", Kihyun carefully eyes Minhyuk. " I... made plans with Jihoon."

" YOU WHAT?!"

Jooheon winces when Minhyuks pterodactyl cry echoes through the apartment.

" Hyuk..."

" What the ing hell, Kihyun?! Hoseok hasn't been away for even a month!"

" I think you're getting it the wro--"

" Oh God, no!", he throws his arms in the air, starts to pace up and down. " Don't! Can't you just... use your hand like in the good old days?! If you leave Hoseok I have to leave Hyunwoo and he is way to good to be left behind for breadbrain Ji Ji!"

Kihyun doesn't know if he should laugh or cry at the look of utter betrayal and confusion on Changkyuns face. He decides to suppress the snickers that threaten to come out because the boy looks seriously out of it and even Hyungwons eyes widened.

" If you'd calm down for a second I could explain to you that I have no intention of doing anything of that kind with Jihoon. I'm almost offended you're even thinking about that."

Jooheon joins the conversation. " Could someone explain what is going on? Who is Jihoon?"

Minhyuk, long since dramatically leaning against the wall answers for Kihyun. " Jihoon. Sixpack Ji Ji. Ex-boyfriend. Satans spawn."

" Minhuyk... it has been years and we weren't dating that seriously.", Kihyun objects. " Can you stop making things up and listen to me? And Changkyun. Come. Sit next to me. You look like passing out soon."

The younger hurries over, takes a seat next to him and Kihyun covers him with half of his blanket before he slings an arm around his shoulders.

" You do know that Minhyuk tends to overreact?"

" You're not leaving hyung?"

" No.", Kihyun pinches his cheek. " I'm flattered that worried you that much but I don't intend to, so cheer up."

" Then why the hell would you call him?" Minhyuk demands to know.

" Because he knows people."

" What people?"

" You do remember that the nightlife was practically his home and that he's been around."

" Yes. But... I still don't get why."

Kihyun remembers the phone call with Hyunwoo, how he couldn't handle it anymore not to do anything. Unconsciously, he pulls Changkyun closer to his side.

" I was hoping that he maybe knows someone. Anyone that could give me some information about Taesan, maybe even someone that could help us getting Hoseok and Hyunwoo out of there. I... simply couldn't wait anymore."

Hyungwon has been quiet the whole time, lost in deep thoughts. Now he addresses Kihyun directly.

" What's that guys name?"

" Jihoon."

" Full name."

" Jeong Jihoon."

Jooheon gasps. " What the ?! What the hell do you have to do with Jeong Jihoon?!"

Kihyun and Minhyuk share a confused gaze at the sudden outburst of the younger.

But Jooheon isn't the only one. Kihyun feels, how Changkyun stiffened next to him.

" What's wrong guys?"

Hyungwon points to his eyebrow. " He got a piercing there?"

" He had one when I last saw him but why is that important?"

" Hyung...", Changkyun deadpans. " Where do you meet those guys?"

" Okay. Your turn to explain."

Jooheon takes a seat on the couch, leaning against the backrest as he emits a deep sigh.

" Jeong Jihoon might be Taesans currently biggest enemy on the market."

Minhyuk breaks out into loud laughter. " Our Ji Ji? I was surprised he managed to finish middle school and now you're telling me he is big in business?"

Hyungwon shakes his head. " Jooheon is right. Last year, he made some good deals. Gathered people around him and has been bugging Taesan for quiet a while. We met him during some jobs."

The laughter gets stuck in Minhyuks throat.

Kihyun has listened to them, his mouth slightly agape. He was hoping that Jihoon could help him out at least the tiniest bit... but this. All of sudden it feels like he can hope again. His gaze wanders to Minhyuk, his friend currently biting his lip in what looks like deep distress.

" Minhyuk... I want to meet with him. No... I have to. Even if it means climbing out of the window. You know I will."

Minhyuk ruffles through his blonde hair. He has do dye it soon, the black roots are showing.

He looks at Kihyun, the fight between his worry and his urge to finally do something to get them back visible in his eyes.

" This sounds so dumb."

" Please..."

" Let's go."

" What?" Kihyun almost chokes on nothing when Minhyuk just like that gives in.

" I seriously need a vacation after this. Too many dark secrets.", he motions for the door, takes a few steps and pauses again. " But to be honest, I was waiting for someone to finally act. Preferably not you and not in secret but I knew I couldn't keep you here forever."

" You always said to trust Hoseok though."

" Please.", Minhyuk stops in the doorframe. " He would tell you everything to keep you relaxed. He'd call a stomach shot a small scratch. Come on, boys. Where did you want to meet him?"

" Down the street in the coffee shop."

" We can't just...", Changkyun grabs Kihyuns wrist. " We can't just meet him. His Jeong Jihoon."

Minhyuk smiles at him. " First of all he's Ji Ji. Don't worry. I'll protect you."

 

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

Kihyun is more than aware of the four bodyguards that positioned themselves behind him.

" You sure he's here?"

" He texted me earlier."

" Can we really go inside just like that?" Jooheon loosens his collar in discomfort. They wouldn't let Minhyuk and Kihyun go alone, and Kihyun is pretty sure it is because they feel the need to protect them in Hoseoks and Hyunwoos place but that doesn't mean they are not currently ting their pants.

" He's alright. We dated casually and broke up without bad feelings. There is no reason for him to be mad at me or at you."

Minhyuk pats Jooheons back. " The only thing you need to be careful of is him trying to get into Kihyuns pants. If he tries the slightest move on him he's dead. But apart from that he is quiet alright. When he doesn't talk to much."

" You think those guys belong to him?" Hyungwon subtly motions to the door of the coffee shop.

Oh, yes.

Kihyun almost forgot about the two guys next to the door, the actual reason they haven't yet entered the shop. As soon as they stepped close, they had their glare on them and no one dared to move any further.

" Let me call him." Kihyun pulls his mobile out of his pocket. It takes only a few seconds for Jihoon to answer.

" Hey. I'm outside....................... I wanted to but there are two guys at the door. Look like they'll chop off my balls if I get too close............................. They belong to you?............................... Yeah............................Okay."

He hangs up and turns to his friends. " He'll be out in a second."

Changkyun swallows heavily. " I think I'll piss my pants."

" He's alright, I told you."

" Haven't you heard the stories?"

Minhyuk grins. " Have you heard the stories? He was scared as when Kihyun had one of his outbursts."

" Hyung? Outbursts?"

" Minhyuk.", Kihyun whines. " That is in the past."

" That smol hyung of yours had that huge anger management problem throughout his life until the end of high school. All the big guys were shivering in fear when he lost his . Man, those where glorious times."

Hyungwon and Changkyun eye Kihyun from head to toe, but Jooheon nods slowly. " I remember Kihyun hyung telling me."

" Did you have to say that?"

Minhyuk pulls Kihyun closer. " Payback for trying to steal yourself away in the middle of the night."

" I get to hear that til the end of time, won't I?"

" Exactly."

" Kihyun!"

There he is.

Jihoon is still tall, still has those broad shoulders and that ugly eyebrow piercing Kihyun hated with all of his being, and still does, he notices when the other walks over to them.

But other than that, he feels nothing.

Years ago, he might have found him attractive and maybe liked him a tiny bit during the times he dated him but all of that is gone. He is a bit happy to see him, because it was the truth when he told the others that they didn't break up hating each other and they really had good times together.

But that is it.

Nothing compared to what he has with Hoseok, not the least.

" Kihyun." he calls once again, his trademark smirk on his face when he reaches them.

" Hey." Kihyun wants to greet him with a hug but arms around his torso keep him back. He tries not to roll his eyes but fails miserably.

Minhyuk leans into his back, chin on his shoulder.

" Hello."

" You brought Minhyuk.", Jihoon states, but he doesn't sound the least bit pissed off. " When did you get blonde?"

" When did you get ugly?"

Jihoon breaks out into loud laughter. " Wow, I missed you, bro."

" I didn't."

Kihyun elbows Minhyuk. " Behave!"

" He--"

Kihyun ignores him. " Sorry, Jihoon. He is convinced you're still trying to get into my pants."

Jihoon winks at him. " Who says I'm not?"

" Okay, okay, okay! Everyone calm the down he is just joking!"

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

After he managed to calm everyone down, they are finally inside the coffee shop. It is empty

and Kihyun has the feeling that this is Jihoons doing. Would explain the bouncers in front of the door.

" Have I met you somewhere before?"

Jihoon scrutinizes them, pauses when it is Hyungwons turn. His eyes narrow and you can almost hear the wheels working in his head.

" You worked with computers."

Hyungwon nods and Jihoons eyes widen when he seems to recognize him.

" You're Wonhos boys, aren't you? Woah...", he leans back into his chair. " Almost didn't recognize you with the different hairstyle. I--"

He pauses and looks at Kihyun, dumbfounded.

" What?"

" It's Wonho, isn't it? The ominous boyfriend you want me to help out with."

" Hoseok." Kihyun corrects him, still not fully warm with Wonho.

" Whatever.", Jihoon supports his elbows on the table, a lot more interest showing in his features that has been there before.

" How come you're dating a thug?"

" He's not a thug."

" Oh boy, working for Taesan me--"

" One more ing word and I'll slam your face into the table." Kihyun spits out with so much venom that everyone, except Minhyuk, stare at him in utter disbelief. The latter seems the proudest he has been all day long, almost gleaming.

Jihoon lifts his hands in defence. " Sorry. Didn't mean it like that. I worked with them. All of them--", he motions at Hyungwon, Jooheon and Changkyun. "-- in the past and I have nothing against them. I kind of liked them, actually. I'm just surprised you're with them now."

" They quit.", Minhyuk explains. " But that Taehyung--"

" Taesan." Jooheon corrects him.

" --Taeyang, he wanted them back to work for him again and used the first opportunity to do so."

" What opportunity?"

Kihyuns hand subconsciously wanders to the scar on his stomach, which is still covered by a huge band- aid. Changkyun follows the movement with his gaze. He touches Kihyuns thigh and squeezes it gently.

" Shortly, I was dying of kidney failure and in exchange for a new organ Hoseok and Hyunwoo went back to him. Now it seems like he won't let them out again."

" Wow...", Jihoon looks at him in honest sympathy. " Okay... now they have my fullest respect. You're better now?"

" Physically yes."

He doesn't have to say more to explain things to him. Jihoon will understand, he isn't a man of many words.

Kihyun leans a bit closer to him. " That is why I contacted you. I thought you might know someone that could help us out... but then the boys told me you are way more important in the business than I thought. They said you have power."

" You want me to go against Taesan?"

Kihyun nods not averting his gaze for even a second.

Jihoon slowly pulls a ring from his finger and plays with it, Kihyun remembers that habit.

" He's dangerous."

" I heard."

" Got a whole bunch of people and money."

" You don't?"

The ring falls to the table and Jihoon stops it before it can fall to the ground. " But on the other hand I got some things he'd love to have."

Kihyun is so tense, he barely manages to keep himself seated on his chair.

" And he became way too arrogant lately."

Jihoon eyes Kihyun for a while, it could be a minute. Kihyun is pretty sure he is not even seeing him though, lost deep in thoughts.

He is scared all of sudden.

What if he says no? He never thought about what he will do afterwards? He needs to come up with a back up plan... maybe forcing Hoseok to give him more information. Or Hyunwoo. Yes, Hyunwoo hyung will talk.

" Are they worth it?"

Kihyun winces when Jihoon suddenly talks. " What did you say?"

" Are they worth the trouble?"

" Worth more than anything I could think of." Kihyun says without having to think once.

Jihoon smirks. " You've always been on the dramatic side."

He pushes his chair back and gets up, stretches before he motions to the door.

" Let's go."

" Where to?"

" My house."

" You mean..."

Jihoon grins. " Don't we have to forge out some plans?"

And Kihyun feels like crying once again, because just like that hope isn't just a fantasy anymore.

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

 

" This is not a house, it's a ing village." Kihyun says in awe after he got out of Jihoons car and looks at the mansion in front of him. It is located on a huge private property, surrounded by a huge fence and vast green areas

" It's not that big.", Jihoon says after he exchanged a few words with his driver. " Only a few square metre."

" Square kilometre." Minhyuk says, totally overwhelmed.

" Get inside. You must be hungry."

They walk up the stairs leading to the entrance. One of Jihoons man opens the door for them but Jihoon stops Kihyun before he can enter the house like the others.

He looks at him in question.

" What's wrong?"

This time Jihoon smiles.

No smirk, no mischief in his eyes.

He almost looks affectionate.

" I will always like you, Kihyun."

" Wha--"

" No. Wait.", he slings an arm around his shoulder. " I know we will never work out like we didn't in the past as much as I dislike the fact and I'm happy you have someone like Wo-- like Hoseok by your side. But I just wanted to say... you are and will always be important to me, a lot actually, and I will help you. As much as I can. You can trust my word."

Kihyun is speechless for a moment. Jihoon was never a deep talker, their relationship more on the shallow side if he would have to describe it.

But it feels good, to hear him saying that.

Makes the anxiety a little less difficult to handle.

" I...", he takes Jihoons arm from his shoulder only to squeeze his hand. " Thank you. Really. Thank you so much. That means a lot to me."

And as fast as the sincerity found its way into Jihoons eyes, it is gone again. As if he just pushed a button.

" I got into your pants with that?"

" Not in a hundred years."

Kihyun smacks the back of his head and Jihoon follows him inside, laughing like a maniac while rubbing the hurting spot.

Still, Kihyun feels a tiny bit better. Because even though he isn't serious 90 percent of the time, this time Jihoon meant what he said.