Chapter 2

At 2 in the morning

 

"Kihyun… Kihyun… hey."

A gentle touch on his shoulder pulls Kihyun out of his slumber. He blinks into the bright neon light above him.

"Hyunie. Time to wake up. It's your turn."

"Already?"

" Yeah.", Minhyuk ruffles through his dishevelled hair.. " Let's meet the doctor."

Kihyun nods slowly and moves out of the chair he sat in the past hour or so.

Hospital visits are normal for Kihyun. Normally, he spends a few afternoons of the month here.

Kihyun has diabetes.

Diagnosed when he was around twelve years old, he spent almost half of his life with insulin shots and checking his blood sugar.

Something many people live with and Kihyun doesn't want to whine about it.

His bigger problem: his body decided diabetes wasn't enough to deal with. His condition worsened over the years, and soon doctors found out that his kidneys got affected by his diabetes.

Nephropathy sounds awesome but it is a huge pain in his , since he can never be sure if his kidneys will keep working forever.

It is not the most horrible fate in the world, but still, the feeling of having a ticking time bomb in his body has brought him more sleepless nights that he would like to admit and dialysis, what awaits him if he gets a lot worse, isn't something he has written down on his bucket list.

" Hey Doc!", Minhyuk beams as he enters the office. " How are you doing?"

" Great, now that my Minhyuk is here."

Kihyun makes a gagging sound as he closes the door. " Should I leave you two alone?"

" A ray of sunshine, like always." Doctor Kim offers them the two chairs and both of them take a seat.

" How are you feeling lately?"

Kihyun shrugs. " Tired from time to time, as always."

" Pain?"

" Nope."

She pulls out his file and Kihyun groans.

" What?" Minhyuk asks confused.

" Look at her face.", Kihyun nods at her. " She's got bad news."

" She looks normal to me though."

" I've known her for quiet a while now.", Kihyun supports his elbows on his knees. " Spit it out, doc. It got worse, right?"

She looks at him in sympathy. " Seems like it. I don't like the results of your latest tests."

Kihyun sighs deeply. " Dialysis is calling?"

" It's not to that extent. But we need to adjust your therapy to avoid it. You know the procedure already."

Kihyun nods slowly, gaze on a tree in front of the window. " Yes... I do."

 



OOO
 

 

"Thank God we're out!"' Kihyun spreads his arms as they leave the hospital.

He feels Minhyuks gaze on him.

"What?"

"You're okay?"

For a moment he pauses.

Is he okay?

Hmm… being desperate would be an exaggeration.

Perfectly fine, too.

But okay...

Yes, okay he is.

" Of course I would have been happier with other news and I feel a bit nervous but I knew it from the beginning that it is possible for my body to get worse. We're going to adjust the therapy and things will be fine."

Minhyuk grimaces and Kihyun flicks his shoulder. " It is not the end of the world. Let's get going. Our fridge is a graveyard and I really need meat."

"You need healthy snacks!"

"Broccoli again?"

" Yes. A whole bunch of it."

Kihyun groans.

Minhyuk with his never ending energy pulls him down the street to the next supermarket.

Kihyun feels a bit tired. Not enough to fall asleep while walking but enough to feel a bit uncomfortable. He rarely tells Minhyuk. The blonde wouldn't let him leave the house anymore and this is just what his sickness brings with it.

They walk into the warmth of the store and already two steps later Kihyun has to stop Minhyuk from buying the latest (Quote: Oh so cute) Pokemon merchandise.

"You have a whole bunch of those useless Pokemon toys already.", Kihyun lectures him as he gets them a cart. " And I need to clean after you. I don't care if they're cute."

Minhyuk follows him, a pout on his lip. " Just because you have a cutie in real life doesn't mean you can stop me from getting one myself."

Kihyun stops in his track and gapes at him. " What cutie do I have in real life?"

"Remember two nights ago.", Minhyuk catches up with him and puts an arm around his neck. " Oh Minhyuk! He has such strong arms and he is so attractive I could die."

"When did I say that?! When did my voice change into that of a castrated Bugs Bunny??"

" Oh, don't try to get yourself out of it. I noticed your little crush on Mr. Stranger."

"I don't have a crush on anybody!"

"Of course I need to fully check him first."

"Minhyuk!"

" Time to shop!"

A few carrots fly at him and Kihyun barely manages to dodge them into the car. " Why do I like you again?" he presses our between clenched teeth.

Minhyuk beams at him. " You don't like me. You love me."

" I wonder why."

"Oh come on, Hyun.", Minhyuk playfully leans his head on Kihyuns shoulder. " There's nothing wrong with liking someone."

"I told you I don't like anyone."

"You're attracted to him."

" Well… of course. Who isn't attracted to good looking people ? But I met this guy only two times, so don't interpret too much into it."

"We'll see."

"Minhyuk!"

They bicker their way down the aisle and it is close to the crisps section when Kihyun starts to feels the sensation of being watched.
He lets his gaze wander through the shop but there is nothing. With a shrug he tries to get rid of the feeling and it almost works, but after a minute or so it starts again. Another gaze over his shoulder, and there, his eyes catch someone in the back.
Tall.
Black clothes.
A lazy stare directed at him.

"Hey. Minhyuk.", he subtly elbows his friend into the side. " That guy over there is creeping me out."

"Who?" The blonde asks too loud for Kihyuns liking.

"Can you keep quiet? He can hear you!" he hisses.

"Who can hear me? The one over there?" Minhyuk wonders, and has the nerves to point at the stranger.

Kihyun wants to throw himself into the potatoes.

He has been with this potato for 15 years now.

15 years are definitely too long.

" Yes. The one over there who now knows that we are talking about him. Thanks."

"Over there is coming over."

"Over there is what?" Kihyun asks in confusion.

" He's coming here."

"Great." Kihyun sighs in desperation.

"Maybe he wants to hook up with me."

"Maybe he wants to sell tooth paste." Kihyun hopes.

"Maybe he just wants to buy detergent."

"In the chips aisle?"

"You're right, Kihyun. He must be a serial killer. Shame on his head and his cow for looking for detergent in the chips aisle."

"Minhyuk…can you just shut up for once."

"Kihyun?"

Kihyun can't contain the shriek but forever and ever he will deny that he jumped a little.

This he will take to his grave.

He slowly turns his head.

Blonde hair.

Black eyes

And those rude lips.

Hoseok in all of his glory, definitely leaning too close with his terribly handsome face.

" I'm slowly starting to think you're doing that on purpose." Kihyun states and Hoseok dares to smile at him.

The temperature seems to rise.

" Well… it is almost like I keep looking for you."

" Kihyun?" Minhyuk says, a knowing smile on his face.

Kihyun screams internally. He won't survive the night with Minhyuk and his never ending curiosity.

" Care to introduce your friend to me?"

Yes, he cares a lot about it but Yoo Kihyun knows his manners.

" That's my flatmate Minhyuk. And this is Hoseok. You know, coffee shop Hoseok."

" I already have a special name?" Hoseok asks cannily.

Minhyuk beams at him. " He talked a lot about you."

"Can you just die in a hole."

"After you."

It's sounds inviting.

"Hyung. Who's that?"

Kihyun totally forgot about the creeping stranger that now stands next to Hoseok as if it's the most natural thing in the world. Hands in his pocket, he looks like he is ready to punch Kihyun with the eggplant in the bag hanging on his wrist.

" Is he the one Changkyun keeps talking about?"

"That's Kihyun.", Hoseok tilts his head. " You look kind of constipated, Hyungwon."

"Hyungwon?", Kihyun repeats and tries to smile at the slightly hostile younger." Changkyun talked about you."

The other scoffs and looks away. Hoseok slightly hits him over the back of his head. " Be nice. He helped us out a lot and Changkyun likes him."

"Whatever."

Hoseok smiles apologetically.

He smiles a lot and Kihyun makes a mental note of that.

" Sorry for that. I have the feeling Hyungwon is bit jealous. Changkyun talks a lot about you."

"Hyung!"

" What?", Hoseok shrugs nonchalantly. " You're acting like a brat, why can't I?"

" We need water." The younger mumbles and starts down the aisle. For a moment Minhyuks gaze wanders between them and Hyungwon. Then, he seems to decide on something, gives Kihyun a slightly too hard slap on the back and follows the younger. " We also need water!" He calls over his shoulder, and then winks at Kihyun.
So subtly that maybe, just maybe an astronaut on the IS saw it.
Once again, throwing himself into the potato shelf doesn't sound too bad to Kihyun.

"He's that kind of friend?" Hoesok asks.

"Yes. The prime example."

" He has good taste."

Kihyun chuckles when he pushes the cart down the aisle. " Big ego?"

Hoesok slowly follows him. " I just… know about one or two things pretty well."

"And I assume it is not appropriate to explain those things to me in the supermarket."

The blonde leans a bit closer. " That is for you to decide."

Kihyun almost runs into Pepsi pyramid and Hoseok breaks out into his gummy smile, barely stuffing a loud laughter.

" I See, I see.", Kihyun coughs slightly and manages to keep his posture. " The popular one with lots of experience."

Hoseok furrows his brow. " This is not what I wanted to impl--

"Tuna."

"What?"

"What what?"

Kihyun looks at him with big eyes and for a moment Hoseok just stares back. Then, the terrible attractive lower lip moves.

Tattoo Prince is pouting in the supermarket and Kihyun is not sure about the reason.

"Nothing." Hoseok mumbles.

"Then tuna it is."

They stop in front of the shelf, both looking up to the canned goods.

" I'm terribly sorry. I'd love to be cool and help you out but I'm not that much taller than you."

Kihyun exes him from head to toe. " But you have muscles so you don't look as tiny as me. You must train a lot."

"Sometimes…"

It almost looks like Hoseok just blushed but Kihyun likes to think it was only his imagination.

"So. . You and Minhyuk, you're close?"

Kihyun lifts his eyebrow at the random question. " I don't know how this is going to help us with the tuna."

A shattering sound behind them.

When they turn around they see two heads disappearing behind the next shelf, one suspiciously looking like Minhyuks blonde shock of hair.

" What was that?"

"I think we're being spied on."

"We were just… checking out the prices. It's important to compare them. You know…. Saving money." Minhyuk appears and pulls Hyungwon over to them by the wrist.

" You became friends pretty fast." Kihyun states.

Minhyuk pulls the taller one close. " We had a nice chat. Right Wonnie?"

"Yes…"

"And I showed him some things, right?"

The younger nods.

Kihyun, in his relief that the hostility partly vanished, misses the gaze the three share.
 

OOO
 

" Which way do you live?" Hoseok asks when they leave the supermarket all together, loaded with bags.

Kihyun points down the street. " Over there. Around 10 minutes to walk."

"Opposite of us." Hoseok answers… a bit disappointed? Kihyun is not sure. A tiny part of him is hoping for it, like you always do when someone looks attractive and you think that maybe maybe there could be something. But he doesn't like to hope. It makes you… not thinking rational. And that is something Kihyun doesn't like to do at all.

" How about joining them for a bit of the way?", Hoseoks looks expectantly at Hyungwon.

" Didn't you say earlier you wanted to take a walk before going home?"

Hyungwon takes a moment to glare at him and then nods. " Sure, hyung."

" Great." Hoseok beams.

Kihyun remembers something and takes a look at his watch.
" …" he mumbles under his breath.

He already missed his usual insulin time.

" Minhyuk. I forgot… you know…"

" Again!" he flares up and Kihyun closes his eyes in expectation of a slap, but only receives a soft pat on the head. " Over there is a bench. Sit down for a moment. We got time."

"I can do it at home though…"

"Kihyun. You're already late."

"But…" he subtly motions at the two bystanders. He doesn't know why he is so embarrassed about it. For years he has to take shots now and still… if somebody doesn't know about it the task makes him feel uncomfortable… almost bad.

Syringes and blood.

That means sickness.

Who wants to have sick people around?

Would Hoseok want that…

If he is disgusted by that he is a , his inner voice says but he frankly doesn't want to find out.

Great thing that he has Minhyuk by his side.

" Kihyun has diabetes. He needs to check his blood sugar on time and needs an insulin shot. So that is why I will force him over there now so he can take it on time."

Kihyun internally facepalms.

" Is it okay for us to stay?" Hoseok asks the next moment.

Kihyun is surprised.
No… more like, lost for words… because… yes, why? Why does he feel a slight happiness all of sudden?

" I just never saw it and since we're all getting to know each other and this is important to you…", he rubs the back of his neck. " Sorry."

Behind his tattoos, he can be quiet shy.

" Sure."

Kihyun hears himself say and a too happy Minhyuk beams over his whole face.

They follow him over to the bench.

" It really isn't that exciting." he says when he takes a seat there.

Curiosity is written all over Hoseoks face as he simply crouches before him.

Kihyun gets his glucometer out of his bag.

" Do you have a bit of water?"

Minhyuk already has a bottle out and empties a bit of water over Kihyuns hand. He dries it with a tissue.

" I need to pierce my finger.", he says carefully. " You might want to look away. Some people find it... disgusting."

" I'm fine."

Hoseok almost seems to lean closer and Kihyun, yes... what does Kihyun feel?

Almost a bit happy that Hoseok seems genuinely interested and alright with the action.

He got used to the piercing already and so brings it over fast.

" And now that small thing will tell you how high your blood sugar is?" Hoseok asks and looks at the display.

" Yes. And then I jot the number down somewhere."

Minhyuk leans over his shoulder. " Looks good."

" Hmm..." Kihyun writes the number down.

It really is.

Hoseok beams at him. " That's great, right?"

Kihyun can't help but to smile back. " It is."

The knowing gaze Hyungwon and Minhyuk share escapes him.

He takes his syringe out of his bag. " This is my insulin. I decide myself what amount I inject."

Hoseok peeks at it. " So you need to be careful not to take too much?"

" Yes. But I have done it for the past 12 years sp--"

" 12 years already?" Hoseoks gasps and Kihyun can't help but to laugh at his flabbergasted expression.

" It isn't that bad."

Hoseok only stares at him, his lips slightly parted. Kihyun grows insecure, awkwardly runs his fingers through his hair. This time, he doesn't miss Minhyuks elbow in Hyungwons side.

He tries not too blush too heavily.

" So...", he coughs slightly. " I need to inject it into my stomach. Anyone who doesn't want look...now it is the time."

Hoseok seems to find back from somewhere farer away. He lightly shakes his head. " Go on. I don't mind."

Hyungwon turns his head when Kihyun takes the injection.

It is done in a matter of seconds.

" Doesn't it hurt?"

" It is more about overcoming the fear of needles."

Kihyun puts his medicine away and Minhyuk claps his hands with a big smile.

" All done.", he turns towards them. " You still want to join us on our way home for a bit?"

" Minhyuk...", Kihyun opposes. " They already waited for me to take my insulin."

"Ha.", Minhyuk dramatically slumps together. " And there I was hoping you could help us carry our bags home."

" We only have three." Kihyun deadpans.

Minyhuk pats his shoulder. " Poor Kihyunnie is so weak after his injection."

" I'm not."

" We don't have to hurry home." Hoseok says.

Minhyuk beams at him. " Great."

Kihyun knows pretty well what Minhyuk is trying to do.

Not that he minds that much, he strangely notices.

Especially when Hoseok looks too happy to be able to take Kihyuns bags.

Still, he can't use the guy like that.

" It is really nice of you to offer but really not necessary." Kihyun keeps one of the bags straps in his hands.

Hoseok pulls at the other. " I would be really glad to help you out."

" I'd feel horrible if you had to carry it."

" I'd feel horrible to let you carry it."

" But--"

Hoseok loosens Kihyuns grip and takes the bag. " Let's go."

He already walked a few steps until Kihyun reaches him.

" Did you talk to Changkyun?"

Hoseok hums as an answer. " Yepp. I was quiet surprised he is that scared of being alone at night."

" He indeed doesn't look like it."

" Not at all."

They cross the street and Kihyun guides Hoseok left. For a moment he remembers that there were two others with them but... yes. Hoseok. He seems to have that effect on him.

" I'm actually ing scared of needles."

Hoseok eyes him from the side. " That seems to be... contra productive."

" It is.", Kihyun chuckles when the memory comes up. " I cried so much after finding out about my diabetes. Minhyuk had to bribe me out from under the playground slide."

" You've known each other for such a long time?"

" Yes. He has been my best friend since the beginning of elementary school I think. Don't ask me how I endured him until today. I just did."

" Best friend..." Hoseok repeats, almost mutters it, nods and looks awfully satisfied with it.

Kihyun can barely save him from running against a street lamp.

Hoseok blinks, then looks at Kihyun who still holds him by his arm.

" Careful."

Hoseoks gaze wanders to Kihyuns hand that touches him.

There.

Another sudden blushing.

He takes a step to the side, coughs loudly and bypasses the light. " Sorry. Sometimes I'm an airhead."

With damn fine upper arms, Kihyun thinks to himself and follows him slowly, once again not noticing that Hyungwon and Minhyuk high five in the background.