Chapter 1

At 2 in the morning

Yoo Kihyun is not amused.

Not at all.

He feels his left eyebrow start twitching as he stares at the water drops falling onto his freshly - VERY FRESHLY - cleaned floor.

" The coffee shop closed." he deadpans and manages not to beat the wet bunch in front of him with the broom in his hands.

" Yes, I know, I'm sorry.", the blonde under the hood hastily apologizes and still pushes the guy next to him over to Kihyun. " Just please let him stay here for a moment. I'll pick him up soon."

" We're cl--"

" Here.", the disturber, seemingly more or less close to a mental breakdown pulls a bill out of his pocket and shoves it into Kihyuns hand. " Make him whatever he wants. I'll be back soon."

He sends a stern gaze at the guy who got his balance back next to Kihyun after the more than harsh shove.

" Stay here. Don't you dare following me."

And with that he leaves both of them alone.

For a moment, the ticking of the clock above the counter is the only sound that can be heard in the awkward silence.

Kihyuns gaze wanders to the bill in his hands.

Wow... 50.000 won.

Then he gazes at the bundle of wetness next to him.

He is quiet adorable.

When you forget about the murderous glint in his eyes.

Gaze back to the bill in his hands and then to the door.

" Sorry for that.", the stranger says with a surprisingly deep and nice voice. " Hyung doesn't think from time to time."

" Seems like it."

" Don't mind this. I'll just wait outside until he is back. We don't have to tell him."

As much as Kihyun wants to kick him out to go back cleaning the floor once again, his motherly instincts Minhyuk always makes fun of kick in. He feels his heart swell for the poor younger in front of him who tries to hide the shivering of his body from him.

Quiet futile.

Nothing escapes Kihyuns eyes.

" Come on. Take a seat.", he leans the broom against the wall and points over to a table close to the counter. " What do you want to drink?"

" I said it's fine."

" Well... your friend already gave me this bill and told you to stay here. So get your wet over there."

He doesn't move.

Kihyun flicks his head.

" Ouch!"

" Get going and sit down. Now."

The strictness in his voice seems to work.

He still keeps mumbling about the pain but slowly makes his way over to the table where he falls down on the chair with a deep sigh.

" Rough day?", Kihyun asks as he walks behind the counter and once again turns the coffee machine on. " What do you want to drink?"

" Nothing."

" Caramel coffee it is."

He starts humming when he takes a cup out of the shelve.

" What's your name?"

" Changkyun."

" Hmm." Kihyun hums as an answer and soon feels a gaze that seems to pierce through him.

He lifts his head.

" What?"

" It is common courtesy to tell your name after asking someone else about his."

" Did your Hyung tell you to be a moody ?"

" Nah. This is all my doing. Hoseok hyung is way nicer than me."

" I see.", Kihyun turns to him and points at his name tag. " Yoo Kihyun. Not Kiyeon. Ki- Hyun."

" I got it the first time."

" Just making sure you remember the great barista that is making his infamous caramel coffee for you."

Changkyun scoffs but finally there is something like a smile around his lips and Kihyun feels relieved.

He doesn't know what is going on and he frankly doesn't want to because it most probably isn't legal and dangerous and nothing he wants to get into. But that boy in front of him ( yes, that boy, Kihyun can notice that he is younger than himself behind the facade he is pulling off), he wants him to feel relaxed and safe in this foreign environment.

" Want to tell me why your hyung brought you here at 2 in the morning?"

" No."

" Okay, I guess I have to accept that.", Kihyun fills the coffee into the cup and puts his special caramel mix into it. " Do you want a pretty cacao cat on top of it?"

" I'm a guy."

" Guys can drink cacao cats as well."

" I don't care."

" A cacao cat it is then."

Changkyun mumbles something under his breath and Kihyun can't help but to smile brightly. Late night shifts haven't been this interesting for a while, he has to admit.

" You have eye dimples." Changkyun says.

" I know. I'm still not sure if I should be happy about it or not.", Kihyun puts the cup on a saucer and carefully carries it over to Changkyun. " I have this one friend and he totally thinks I'm cute. Which is okay, because cute can get you a lot of stuff. But it doesn't work out if you want to be hardcore."

" You're in no way hardcore."

" How old are you?"

" 21."

Kihyun flicks his forehead. " Good. I'm older. Show some respect."

He turns back to the counter and his eyes light up when he sees the left over cake he hasn't yet thrown away.

" It is your lucky day today. I have chocolate cake left.", he throws a side glance at Changkyun. " Or is that also too girly?"

One look into the younger's face is enough. He cuts off a big piece and puts it in front of Changkyun before he finally also takes a seat. The younger hesitates for a moment but then finally digs in.

Kihyun watches him, satisfied when he notices the other likes it.

" It's good?"

" Hm.", Changkyun answer with full cheeks and swallows before he talks more. " I haven't eaten cake for a while."

" Why?"

He shrugs. " No time."

Another bite and the silence that was awkward earlier becomes comfortable.

" That hyung of yours should make sure you get your weekly cake. My friend says healthy food is important but since sugar bombs are healthy for your psyche you should get it from time to time."

" Your friend sounds like a wise man."

" Well...", Kihyun breaks out into another smile. " I don't think you would say that if you met him. People tend to think he doesn't have the highest IQ. Must be the blonde hair. Or his mouth that never shuts."

"Hoseok hyung is the same."

" The one that brought you here?

" Yes. People look at him and only take in his outer appearance. So they either way want to him or think he is stupid."

" Language, boy."

" That sounds awfully like hyung. Where was I... Yes. But he is actually pretty caring and intelligent."

" Sounds nice."

Changkyun nods, cream on his lips. " He's great."

Kihyun scoffs and takes a tissue before he leans over and wipes the cream away. " Messy eater."

There is a slight blush on Changkyuns cheeks and Kihyun chuckles.

" No need to get embarrassed."

" I'm not a child."

" You're a cute baby."

His cheeks become a darker shade of red and Kihyun can't help but to break out into loud laughter.

" I'm so sorry to destroy your ego but you really are a cutie pie." he manages to say after a while and wipes over his eyes.

Changkyun turns his gaze to his caramel coffee.

" No one ever said... I'm cute."

Kihyun leans over the table and pats his hair. " You are. Do I need to kick your hyungs ?"

" No one can kick hyungs ."

Kihyun smiles smugly. " Let me try once."

 

 

OOO

 

 

Hoseok is back half an hour later.

He brings more water into the coffee shop, pisses off Kihyun once again and earns himself a smack on his head, but secretly Kihyun is relieved.

He doesn't know what is going on but Changkyuns gaze started to wander outside into the night more than necessary the past minutes and even though he didn't say anything Kihyun could feel his rising nervousness.

He is glad when the strange blonde comes into the shop and when Changkyuns features light up.

He keeps the 50.000 won though.

When he wakes up the next morning and meets Minhyuk in their shared kitchen he immediately tells his friend about his encounter last night.

Minhyuk is more than thrilled about the story, but can't help to be worried about his friend.

He leans against the counter, a cup of coffee in his hands. " I never liked it when you take the night shift alone, you know, erted guests. But this is on a whole new level."

" It is alright. They were nice people."

" They came to the shop at 2 in the morning and one was left behind by the other who went to god knows where. What did you think that Hoseok guy was doing?"

Kihyun shrugs. He opens the rice cooker and puts some rice into his bowl. " I don't really care. What I don't know won't hurt me. Changkyun was nice though. And I couldn't send him away. He was cold and needed something warm to drink. I even got a plus of 40.000 won. Nothing happened and I'm alright. So all in all it was a successful night."

" Thankfully."

Kihyun softly hits Minhyuks forehead with his spoon. " Stop worrying so much. It is fine. And it's not like they're going to show up again... like ever."

 

 

OOO

 

 

Ever again happens around one week after.

Kihyun just turns the sign at the door to 'closed' and already has his broom at the ready when his tired eyes see a figure standing in front of the huge glass front. It takes him only a few seconds to make out Changkyuns face under the hood.

For a moment he contemplates his life choices, his oh so big heart and his bad luck, but then his kindness kicks in and he walks over to the door, broom in his arms, one eyebrow already lifted.

Changkyun silently looks to the ground when Kihyun opens the door.

" You do understand the concept of closing hours?"

" Convenience stores don't have it."

" Over there is one. Bother them and bye."

" Hyung!"

.

There it is, his weakness. The stupid thing not so much younger Minhyuk always uses to get what he wants.

His Achilles Heel.

Hyung.

Stupid motherly instincts.

Sighing deeply he turns back to the younger. He leans his tired body against the door frame.

" What is it?"

The younger shuffles his feet.

" Did your hyung drop you off somewhere again?"

" Not exactly."

" You need to take a piss?"

" Not really."

" You got another comprehension of time and I'm just too dumb to understand it?"

Changkyun shakes his head and Kihyun feels the rising ache behind his temple.

" You need to tell me what is wrong if you want me to help you."

" I just thought...", the younger mumbles hardly audible and shoves his hands further into his pockets. " I thought maybe I could stay here with you for a while. Hoseok and Hyunwoo hyung left for business a while ago. Normally Jooheon and Hyungwon stay with me but they had to be somewhere urgent and needed to leave. So... I was all alone and didn't know where to go."

The nervousness in his words is so obvious that Kihyun decides after only a second, that, no, his Plan A of just closing the door in front of his face is not achievable and Plan B ( hitting him in the balls with his broom so he won't remember anything out of pain and won't come back on top of that) wouldn't be sensitive enough.

Not sensitive at all.

So, after a few more moments of thinking and fighting a small battle with his common voice he takes a step aside and motions inside the coffee shop. " Speaking honestly, there were a whole lot of names I already can't remember and I sounds suspicious as but it's late, you look lonely and I wouldn't want that for myself or my friends so just come in."

Changkyun doesn't move and Kihyun grabs him by the wrist without further ado and pulls him inside the warm shop.

" I need to kick this hyung of yours. Seriously.", he nags when he feels how moist Changkyuns clothes already are. " Allowing something like that. You'll catch a cold in the end."

" I'm not a child."

" You're not a child, you're a baby. Walking around at night without anyone. Do you know how dangerous it is outside nowadays? Get out of that jacket."

" I don--"

Resistance is futile.

Kihyun doesn't look like the strongest and on top of that he isn't the tallest around but in a matter of seconds he pulls Changkyun out of his wet jacket and throws it over a nearby chair.

" I have another shirt in the back. Wait a second while I get it for you."

When he comes back with the white long sleeve, Changkyun hasn't moved an inch. He looks so lost in between the chairs and tables, so awkward and uncomfortable that Kihyun almost breaks out into coos and giggles because who can resist such cute puppies.

" Here. You can change behind the wall over there. I'll make you something hot to drink meanwhile."

" Thanks... hyung..." Changkyun mumbles, but Kihyun just waves it aside.

" Wear it and make sure you don't catch a cold."

He makes his way over to the counter and starts the coffee machine he already turned off once again for hot water.

" Fruits or herb?"

Changkyun manages to push his head through the shirts opening, his hair a huge mess afterwards. " Fruits."

" Coming."

Kihyun pulls a cup out of the shelve and puts it on a tray, next to a small cookie and a bit of sugar.

" Sit down." he calls over to Changkyun when the younger stops indecisively in the middle of the room.

" I... feel really sorry for showing up here... actually."

" I told you it's fine. I wouldn't have let you in if it wasn't so don't feel bad."

" It is already the second time that I bother you and you don't even know me."

Kihyun smiles warmly and fills the hot water into the cup. " You're my cute little brother who feels lonely. What more do I need to know?"

There is a blush on Changkyuns cheeks.

" Seriously. Changkyun. This situations seems really odd even to me. But this coffee shop here-", Kihyun spreads his arms to emphasize his words. "- I'm not the owner of this shop and between us, my boss is quiet the money addicted , but this is my personal support system. During my shift, I want people to feel comfortable. Be it a stressed out college student or an office worker that doesn't want to go home to his nagging wife. And if you don't feel comfort wherever you live and feel like you can find it here, then please come here and I will try my best to make you forget about whatever made you feel upset."

He puts a tea bag into the hot water and makes his way around the counter.

" Hopefully it won't be at 2 in the morning all the time, but I'll try my best not to kick you in the balls for that." The last part, he supports with a wink and he happily notices how Changkyuns stiff shoulders relax the slightest.

" Now sit down and drink your tea. And then you can help me out with cleaning the shop. Free worker sounds nice, doesn't?"

" You're too nice, hyung."

Changkyun takes a seat while Kihyun leans against the counter. He stirs the water with his spoon.

" Do you want to talk about it?"

" About what?"

Kihyun motions around and that is enough for Changkyun to understand.

He shrugs. " There isn't a lot to talk about. Everyone is out and I'm scared alone."

" You're scared alone at home and still get out into the night to come over here?"

Changkyun averts his gaze. " Last time... was really nice. I felt... good. The atmosphere."

That is enough explanation for Kihyun.

" Why don't you tell your hyung about that."

" I'm already the youngest. They will think of me as a baby more than they already do,"

" Being babied doesn't always mean it is out of bad intentions. Maybe a lot of people are just worried about you."

" I'm more worried about them...", Changkyun trails off and then heavily shakes his head as if he needs to get his thoughts back into place. " I'm sorry. My mind was wandering off. It is nothing you need to or should know."

Kihyun is quiet the curious person but he knows better then to pry into things he shouldn't stick his nose in. Those boys gave off a strange vibe the first moment he met them.

Not dangerous... at least not for him. But maybe involved in things he doesn't want to know about.

" Then I will respect that and won't ask more.", he smiles at Changkyun and finally sees the shadow of a smile on the youngers lips. " Is the tea okay?"

" Tasty."

" Good to know. Minhyuk buys it for the store. Manager is too busy to hook up with girls."

" He really sounds like an ."

" Well.... they never stay long. He is a bit on the ugly side and as soon as they find someone with more money they're gone. Seems like appearance is still more important in the end."

" My hyung is pretty attractive I think."

" Is that so?" Kihyun smiles slightly when he sees how the topic change helps the younger to come out of his shell.

" Yes. I have never seen someone more attractive than my hyung... at least I think so. The others of course are also attractive but in a different way. But Hoseok hyung... he's top. Don't you think?"

Kihyun tries to remember the face of the stranger he met once but his mind only comes up with blonde wet hair and a bit of a nervous expression.

" I'm sure you're right.", his fingers come in contact with a tissue and he starts twirling it in his hands, an old habit. " If I ever see him again I will take a closer look and then tell you."

" I already know the answer." Changkyun puts a bit more sugar into the tea and Kihyun is tempted to ask him if he has enough water in his sugar.

" There we got the prime example of a hyung pabo."

" I'm not a hyung pabo. I just-"

" - am totally infatuated with him."

Changkyuns cheeks blush again and Kihyun can't help but to giggle. He pushes himself of the counter and takes the broom he earlier leaned against a nearby table. " Drink everything as long as it is hot. You can help me out afterwards. And then I will bring you home."

It is quiet the nice time that follows.

Yes, Kihyun has to answer three calls from a frantic Minhyuk who just won't believe him about the maintenance he has to do before he can go home. Kihyun will eat his broom before he tells his friend that the same guy from last week showed up in his shop again. He doesn't want to trigger Minkalypse.

Like... seriously not.

But well, Kihyun and his luck.

Instead of Minhyuk, another wave of wrath is crashing down on him.

Or more on Changkyun.

" Oh ..."

Kihyun looks up when he hears Changkyuns silent curse.

He gets up from his crouched position behind the counter and looks over to the younger. He doesn't even have the time to ask anymore because a moment later someone storms into the store.

" Im Changkyun! What the do you think you're doing?!"

Yes, Changkyun was right.

Taking a closer look, the guy is pretty much the most attractive thing he has ever seen. Way better than anyone he has ever met before.

Not that it excuse storming into his shop like that.

Not at all.

Kihyun takes the wet cloth out of the bucket and throws it.

Right into the intruders face.

Silence.

" Holy , hyung. What a shot."

The redhead who comes inside next looks at the scene with eyes bigger than sausages before he breaks out into loud laughter.
One glare from Kihyun and he is standing at attention.

 

" You think I love cleaning that much?! I do but it's half past 2 in the ing morning and we just finished cleaning and then you decide to storm in like a ing rhino and bring all the dirt inside!"
 

The blonde slowly pulls the wet cloth from his face.
 

Kihyun points an accusing finger at him. " Yes! I'm talking to you mister!"
The redhead audibly tries to smother a laughter and the second cloth hits him straight into the face. " You too! Look at your feet! There's a shoe wiper in front of the door!! It is not there to look pretty!"

 

More silence.
Now, that he starts thinking for a few seconds and the first anger vanishes Kihyun really takes in the blonde in front if him.
Tattoos.
One or two peek out from under his shirt.
Muscles.
And are those piercings in his ears.
A cold shiver runs down his back.
Great.
He couldn't keep it down and now he ends in the gully in the backyard by the hand of a street thug.
I'm sorry, Minhyuk, my mouth was working too fast for my brain once again
"Another round of cleaning won't kill me of course." He coughs slightly and pulls his finger back, trying not to have any eye contact with anyone.
It is silent for only a second before a quit chuckle can be heard.
It might be because he feels not in immediate danger anymore of being shoved into his bucket or because it really is just a nice sound, but Kihyun feels relieved.
A lot.

And there is something else bubbling in his stomach.
The blonde smiles brightly at him, maybe a tiny bit embarrassed as he rubs the back of his neck with a hand.
" I'm really sorry for this. I didn't think before coming in. Please no more cloth. You've got quiet the good aim." he bows slightly and Kihyun might have felt a tiny bit of bad for a second.
" It's fine… I'm sorry for throwing things at you."
"You don't need to be sorry."

Kihyun can't help but to stare at him, and deep down, in his stomach, the strange feeling grows worse.

" But this one here-", the blonde, Kihyun assumes it is Hoseok, continues and turns his attention back to Changkyun who noticeable shrinks in the corner. " Do you know how worried we were when we came home and you weren't there?"
In shame, Changkyun looks at his shoes.
" Couldn't you take your mobile with you? At least write a note? Hyunwoo and Hyunwong are also outside looking for you and I find you here? You think this is funny?!"
He was more collected in the beginning, but slowly his voice grows louder. It is fairly easy for Kihyun to judge people and here, the worry the blonde felt is so out in the clear he could be the broom in the corner and still notice it.
" You got nothing to say?!"
"I…"
Kihyun steps closer to the blonde and in one of his less intelligent moments stops his speech with a hand on his shoulder.
"Can we-", he motions behind him with his head. " - talk over there for a moment."
Hoseok seems to be more than confused for a second but then gives in and follows the caramel head a few steps into the corner.

Kihyun ignores the surprised gasp from behind and waves Hoseok a tiny bit closer.
" I'm sorry for butting in cause this is clearly not my business.", he whispers. " But I just wanted to give you the small hint that maybe one person inside this room is a bit scared of being alone at night and maybe did something horribly idiotic today to escape that fear. Of course I'm not using Changkyuns name. Never."
" Why are you telling me this?" Hoseok whispers back and in all his nervousness Kihyun misses the ghost of a smile on his lips.
"Because I met the boy only two times and I already think of him as my little brother."
"Your little brother?"
"Yes. My little brother. So you would do me a huge favour if you talked to him about it. And maybe you could talk to him like he is an adult. I think he has quiet the complex because he is the youngest."

Hoseok leans a bit closer in, probably to understand him better, his warm breath ghosting over Kihyuns cheek, giving him an odd sensation in the corner of his stomach.

He coughs slightly again.
"Anyways. I know he acted dumb but he is young and has to act dumb from time to time. Please consider my thoughts.", he gives him a pat on the shoulder and turns back to Changkyun and redhead. " All done, boys."
"Woah. You're seriously the best. Stopping hyung just like that." The redhead shows him a dimples smile and waves cutely. " I'm Jooheon and I already like you."
"Jooheon. Don't be a creep." Hoseok says from behind Kihyun.
" He's the creep. He took Changkyun in."
"Jooheon…" Hoseok warns.
Kihyun uses the time and moves over to Changkyun. On his way he takes the now dry jacket of the younger and pushes it into his hands. " You know it was stupid to act like that?"
"I know." he admits quietly.
" So be a man and listen well to what your hyung is going to tell you, okay?"
Changkyun nods slowly.
" The offer is still on, you know?"
"The offer?"
"When you need a place to go, just come over.", Kihyun pats the pocket of his jacket. " I put my number in. If there is something going on you can call me."
" Changkyun. Let's go." Hoseok calls over.

" Yes."

It could be imagination, but Kihyun feels like Hoseoks gaze lingers a bit too long on him before he says bye with smile and leaves the shop after the other two.