Chapter 9

At 2 in the morning

 

 

Kihyun tries not to make a scene.
He tries not to yell obscenities because there are two small girls passing by, holding their mothers hand. He tries not to kick balls because it might traumatise the older couple a few metres away.

He keeps his gaze straight on the traffic light, praying that any higher power has an understanding.
" Where are you going?"
Chihwan leans against the traffic light, hands in his pocket and not getting that Kihyun is trying with all of his mind not to kill him on the spot.
"Somewhere."
"Alone is boring. Let's go together."
" Who said I'm going alone?"
Chihwans gaze wanders over the area. "Minhyuk is here?"
" I wished he was."
Because he has less self control with you and would have destroyed your family planning by now.
" Why so serious, Kihyun?"
Kihyun glares at him sideways. " Are you sure about the question or are you really too stupid to get it?"
Chihwan shrugs and smiles brightly. " I missed you these days."
"Go die in a hole ~" Kihyun purrs.

" Kih--"
The traffic light turn green and Kihyun struts away, his head held high.
"What if I really do?!"
"Send a picture then!"
"Yoo Kihyu--"
"-can't hear you over the s he gives !"
Kihyun waves over his head and reaches the other side of the road just as the lights turn red again.
Hoseok approaches him slowly. Kihyun reaches out for him and he takes his hand.
" Who's that guy?"
Hoseok nods over to Chihwan who still stands where Kihyun left him, taking in the couple.
Kihyun intertwines their fingers. " No one you need to care about."
He wants to leave, preferably fast, but Hoseok holds him back.
"Seriously. Who is that guy?"
Kihyun screws his nose as he eyes Chihwan in the distance. " Just the creeper Minhyuk talked about."
" He keeps bothering you?"
There is something in Hoseoks eyes.

Kihyun is taken aback for a moment, trying to remember if he ever saw it there but… no.
Noticing it, even if it was there for only a mere second makes him feel strange, almost anxious in far too many ways and he decides that he hates it, no matter if it was imagination or not.
" It's fine. He is just an idiot."
Hoseoks gaze doesn't leave Chihwans frame in the distance.
" Hoseok.", Kihyun cups his boyfriends cheek to get his attention. " I promise you I can handle it. He is just annoying. Okay?"
Hoseok finally turns his gaze back to him. " You tell me when he gets too much."
"I will."
Hoseok rubs the back of his neck, apparently not too happy about the situation and how Kihyun handles it.

" This… annoys me to no end."
" Don't be annoyed." Kihyun straightens the wrinkle on his forehead with his finger.
" I can't help it.", Hoseok leans in and kisses Kihyun softly and maybe a bit too long to be appropriate. " You're too cute for your own good."
"Says Mister - people's - swooning- object - since - 1993."
" It's not that bad…"
Kihyun chuckles and pulls Hoseok with him. " Try to tell yourself while I cry in the corner over my too popular boyfriend."
"There is nothing to cry over.", Hoseok seems to find his energy again and reaches Kihyun only to sneak one arm around his waist and pull him tight. " You're the only for me."
Kihyuns skin burns hot under Hoseoks lips on his cheek.

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

"Kihyun! Look!"
For the nth time Kihyun leans over to see what it is now that caught Hoseok attention in the magazine he is currently reading.
"They transplanted a whole uterus for the first time!" Hoseok points at the article he just read and Kihyuns stomach is doing crazy thing because his boyfriend is too adorable for his own good.
Kihyun is feeling a bit tired today. The warmth in the waiting room isn't helping at all with that. He leans over until his head comfortably rests on Hoseoks shoulder, enjoying the closeness.

" Why are you reading the gynaecologist magazine?"
"I read all of the other interesting ones."

" Sorry we have to wait for so long."

" No problem.", Hoseok rest his cheek on Kihyuns head. "Tired?"
Kihyun nods and closes his eyes for a moment. " You're too comfortable to rest on."
"You can take a nap. I'll wake you when it's your turn."
" I can not always sleep here. The receptionist will start to think Minhyuk doesn't let me sleep at night." Kihyun mumbles. He still nuzzles more into Hoseoks side, just to be a tiny bit more comfortable than he already is.
Hoseok chuckles quietly and presses a kiss to Kihyuns head. " I like sleepy Kihyun."
"Why?"
"Sleepy Kihyun is a lot more touchy in public."
Kihyun smiles and his eyes close again and for a few great moments he ends up in dream land before Hoseoks soft voice wakes him up.
" Kihyun…. It's your turn.", fingers run over his cheek. " You need to wake up."
" Five more minutes."
" I'll help you up."

" One minute."

" Come one."
Before his brain can realize it he is already standing and waddles over into the doctors office with Hoseoks help.
His doctor awaits him with a friendly smile.
"No Minhyuk today?"
She closes the door after them and walks back behind her desk as both of them take seat.
" That's my boyfriend, Hoseok."
"Oh, Kihyun. Such a handsome one."
Hoseok smiles bashfully and Kihyun playfully glares at her. " He's taken."
She lifts her finger and the ring shimmers in the light.
" It is good to know that he has people around him that are interested in his well being." she tells Hoseok.

The blonde nods. " I want to know as much as possible to help him out the best I can."
Kihyun takes his hand under the table and squeezes it thankfully.
" So, Kihyun." Doctor Kim says, back to a more serious tone as she goes through his file.

" How are you feeling lately?"
" Tired."

" More than usal?"

" No."
" How is your blood pressure?"
"I feel dizzy from time to time but not worse than normally."
" Okay.", she gets a glucometer out of her desk. " Then let's check that first."
He holds his finger out and contorts his face as the needle pierces through his skin. It is so scary when someone else is doing it.

It is quiet for a moment until the device gives out a noise. " Blood sugar looks good. You're eating healthily?"
"I have a few more babysitters now that look after me so yes, I do."
Hoseok looks a tiny bit proud and it kind of makes Kihyun happy.

" I'm really pleased with you."

" I'm trying to do well."
Kihyun runs his finger over the wooden armrest. He always had like the chairs his doctor is using. They are worn out already, but one hell of comfortable.
After putting in a few more data she closes his file and rests her elbows on the table.
Kihyun knows the look on her face all too well.

He grimaces once more.
"It is time again?"
" Yepp."
Hoseoks wanders from Kihyun to Doctor Kim and back to Kihyun as they have a small fight out.
"Don't act like that, Kihyun. You know it has to be done."

" Why again..."

" We can only determine the extent of--"

" That was rhetorical."
He groans when she puts the small plastic cup on the desk and grabs it as fast as he can.
She darts a glance at Hoseok.
" Urinating into a plastic cup isn't his favourite hobby."
"Doc!" Kihyun yells as Hoseok can't help but to explode with laughter.
" I hate both of you.", Kihyun pushes himself out of his chair and swaggers to the door with as much pride as he can muster. " You could have told me secretly!"

OOO

"Babe…"
Kihyun ignores Hoseoks poking and continues sulking back in the waiting room.
"Ki-hyun-nah.", Hoseok coos, placing on hand on his boyfriends knee. " I'm sorry. Don't be mad at me anymore."
" I'm not mad." Kihyun mutters, gaze averted to the wall.
"You are."
"A tiny bit.", Kihyun agrees eventually after he can't endure Hoseoks puppy eyes any longer. " But more than that I feel humiliated."
He finally faces Hoseok.
" She talked about peeing in plastic cups in front of you..."
Hoseok has to bite his lip.
Kihyuns eyes widen indignantly. " Are you still making fun of me?!"
"Ahh, no!", Hoseok keeps Kihyuns face in place with his hands, an amused smile playing at the corner of his lips. " It's just so cute how upset you get about peeing into a cup. If it is necessary you have to do it."
"Don't say it!", Kihyun cries out, falling face first into Hoseoks chest. "We didn't even reach the three month border, it's too early for the embarrassing stuff."
Hoseok pats his back. " It's just a cup, Kihyun."
"It is my pride... tainted... lost"
"Okay… then it is your pride and we have to protect that at all costs."
"Yoo Kihyun?"
The nurse comes inside and Kihyun feels relieved because they already waited for more than 30 minutes and he worries that Hoseok will come back too late to work.
Hoseok pokes Kihyuns nose. " Mental breakdown is over?"
" For now."
He pulls Hoseok back on his feet and they both walk back into the office where Doctor Kim is already waiting for them.
She smiles as the two as they enter her office.
" I'm really satisfied with your results, Kihyun."
He lifts his eyebrows. " I hear that once every leap year."
"The treatment seems to work well on you. Your kidneys activity hasn't declined, your urine--"

"Doc!"

"-- is perfectly fine, you're good to go."
Hoseok grins like a Cheshire cat next to him and Kihyun also can't help but to break out into a bright smile, forgetting that he just lost his pride.

 




OOO

 

 

 

Out of the office, Hoseok gently grabs Kihyun by the collar of his shirt and pulls him close for a chaste kiss.
" I'm glad you're fine."
" I'm surprised I'm fine."
They take their jackets and leave the hospital, not before getting Hoseok a sandwich and Kihyun a diabetic yoghurt.
They slowly walk down the road after their small meal, loosely swinging their intertwined hands between them.
" You'll be home when I finish work?"
Kihyun nods. " Today sleep over at yours, as promised."
He chuckles quietly when Hoseok pulls him closer with an arm around his neck only to kiss his temple.
" Makes me want to go home right this moment."
" I'll prepare dinner."
" What did you plan?"
They stop at a red light, Kihyun taking the opportunity to hug Hoseok and to rest his head on his shoulder. Because he can, and because he is happy and because today he didn't get bad news and because he really wants to.
" What about pizza?"
" You need to eat healthy food."
" Didn't you listen to my doctor? I should become a fitness model."
" No model, you're only for me to look at." Hoseok mutters into his ear and damn, why does his voice get so hot… and how?

Kihyun tries to fight the blush and looses miserably. He coughs slightly, regains his composure only slowly. " What about healthy pizza?"
"Does healthy pizza exist?
The light turns green and Hoseok goes back to holding Kihyuns hand as they cross the street.
" I'm going to look it up." Kihyun suggests.
" I'm not sure if you will find something."
"I'm pretty sure something like broccoli pizza exists."
Hoseok wrinkles his nose. " I strongly disagree."
Kihyun chuckles and lightly elbows him as they reach the subway station where they have to part ways.
Hoseok pouts. " I wanted to spend more time with you."
"I'll be there when you come home."
Hoseok cracks a smile at him and leans in for a short kiss.
" I'm happy about the good news you received today. I really am.", he gently caresses his cheek. " And now get back home and please forget about the broccoli pizza."

" Please. I hate it as much as you do."


 

 


OOO

 

 

 

Kihyun doesn't manage all the way to Hoseoks apartment in one go. After he conquers the staircase and left the subway station his legs grow shaky and he needs to sit down on the next bench he can find.
He tries to breath slowly so the sickness in his stomach won't become worse and it works fairly well.
It is a few minutes into his break when someone takes a seat next to him.
" Do you have enough space?", he asks the girl with the pretty long hair. " I can move a bit further."
" It is fine." she smiles.
Having been polite ,Kihyun now goes back to concentrating on his breathing until she addresses him. " You okay? You look quiet pale."
He puts her off. " I'm just a bit dizzy. It'll be better soon. But thanks for your concern."
She takes her fancy bag from next to her and starts rummaging through it. " I have a chocolate bar somewhere…", she mutters. " You can have it."
"That's nice of you but I shouldn't."
She lifts an eyebrow in confusion.
" Sugar." he adds as an explanation and she seems to be satisfied with it. Her cheeks grow a tiny bit red when hee stomach starts to rumble in that one second none of them talks.
Kihyun chuckles lightly. " Maybe you should eat it."
She awkwardly runs her fingers through her long black hair. " I didn't have the chance to eat today."
"You should have.", Kihyun checks the time. " It is past 4 already."
" I will."
Kihyun stays for a few more minutes, until he has the feeling it will be fine to get up again.
He bows slightly to the girl after getting back on his feet. " Make sure to eat later. I need to go now."
"Thanks for the concern."
She waves and he makes his way down the street to the apartment building. He feels the relief wash over him when there are only a few more metres left. The cold and the shaky legs are the worst combination. Just as he wants to ring the doorbell someone opens the door from inside.
"Hyung." Jooheon greets him, slightly taken aback.
Kihyun holds the door open. " Where are you going?"
"Convenience store. I ran out of chips."
"Make sure not too eat too much. I plan to cook dinner soon."
Jooheons dimples show up. " Got it, hyung."
They part ways and Kihyun takes the elevator to the apartment. He punches in the door code and with a silent beep the door opens.

" Hey." he calls and opens his jacket.
" What took you hours?!" Minhyuk yells over from the living room and Kihyun is not even surprised to meet him in the apartment anymore. He is over there more often than he is in his actual home and Kihyun almost expects it has something to do with Hyunwoo.
" And what are you doing here?"
He leaves his shoes next to the door and makes his way over to the living room. Minhyuk and Changkyun are sitting at the table together, paper over paper covers the surface.
" Why the mess?"
" Hyung is helping me looking over the university info brochure." Changkyun explains and Kihyun can't remember a lot of times where he saw the boy that happy.
He sits down on the ground next to them and takes one of the papers. " Nano Science?"
"He said he is interested in science specific things.", Minhyuk states. " I wanted to force him to choose law because just imagine such a cutie patootie fighting the judge, but there goes my hope.
"Hyung, look.", Changkyun shows Kihyun another paper. " I could try to get into life science."
Kihyun smiles fondly and ruffles through Changkyuns dark hair. " My boy is going places."
" They grow up so fast." Minhyuk sighs dramatically.
Changkyun grows awkward but Kihyun already noticed that he leaned into his touch. He makes a mental note to praise the boy a lot more. He seems to grave it.
" Did you have a chat with Hyunwoo and Hoseok?" Kihyun motions for Minhyuk to give him one of the apple slices they have on the table.
" Say ahhh."
He leans over the table and Minhyuk slides the apple into his mouth.
" I talked to them. They said they're really proud of me for trying to educate myself. Of course the finances are a problem. But I will try to get a scholarship and I'll keep my part time job. They said they will still support me."
Kihyun feels slightly better as soon as he swallowed the apple.
" I will put a bit of money aside as well."
"But hyung-" Changkyun protests but Kihyun already took a pillow from the couch and makes himself comfortable on the ground. " No discussion."
" Your mom has spoken." Minhyuk informs Changkyun and the latter shuts up.
" I'll take him to the info event next week. We can check out more about courses and internships." Minhyuk tells Kihyun. The latter nods, his eyes already closing.
" Sorry guys. I need to take a short nap."
"Okay~." Minhyuk hums, already used to Kihyuns sudden tiredness.
"On the ground?" Changkyun doesn't sound too happy about it.
" Just for a bit. Wake me up around 6. I'll make dinner then."
"Okay."
Changkyun keeps quiet for a moment, but then he puts a blanket over Kihyuns frame.
" How was the appointment by the way?"
Kihyun tugs the blanket closer around him and sighs in comfort.
" My results were great...I'm the avenger of insulin. Captain Plastic cup… the dark…"
Within seconds he falls asleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

" I do not care. You promised."

"-----ever promised anything li--"

" --cussion. It's done and you won---"

"I can't jus--"

"---- disappoin--"