Chapter 8

At 2 in the morning

 

 

 

Kihyun doesn't know where he is when he wakes up what feels like hours later.

Since when is the subway moving so much…

He slowly opens his eyes, then realising that he is indeed not in the subway but on someone's back on the streets.

Hoseoks back to be exactly.

He is too tired to protest like he would normally do and just tightens his grip around Hoseoks neck, resting his chin on his shoulder.

" Hey.", Hoseok says softly when he feels the movement. " We're almost there."

"Not heavy?" Kihyun mumbles, his eyes already closing again halfway.

He feels a hand on his shoulder, Jooheons voice somewhere.

"Don't worry. Your boyfriend can carry Hyunwoo hyung as if he's a feather."

"Boyfriend…" Kihyun mutters, a content smile on his lips.

Jooheons 'Hyung, he is smiling like an idiot' already doesn't get through to him anymore when he falls asleep again.

The next thing he notices is the sound of a closing door and Minhyuks voice.

"Do I even want to know?" Minhyuk deadpans.

Hoseok bends his knees so Kihyun can easily climb off his back.

Minhyuk leans in until their noses almost touch. " It's not even 10.30 and he is out on his feet. Yah, Kihyun?", he waves his hand in front of Kihyuns face. "You okay?"

"Did you do the dishes while I was away?"

Minhyuk pats his shoulder. " There he is."

He turns to Jooheon and Hoseok. " Come in. You want something to drink? You have to. After carrying that potato sack over here."

"He's pretty light." Hoseoks disagrees as he supports Kihyun who tries to get rid of his shoes.

Minhyuk winks at him. " Even if he turns into an elephant once, you need to compliment him from now on, boyfriend.", Minhyuk gives him thumbs up. " You did well. I'm happy it finally worked out. Changkyun texted me. Said something about a teary matter."

" I was stressed out..." Kihyun mumbles, slowly getting his senses back.

Hoseok chuckles next to him, a hand on Kihyuns lower back. " Don't remind me of that."

" Hyung. I'm thirsty." Jooheon whines and all of them follow Minhyuk as he motions for them to come into the kitchen.

" It's nice." Hoseok looks around as he walks through the apartment.

" That's mostly Kihyuns works. I would have been fine with the bachelor's den style, but he couldn't live without the tablecloths and doormats."

Minhyuk grabs two sodas from the fridge, giving Jooheon and Hoseok each one. Kihyun, who takes a seat at the table gets water. Minhyuk ruffles through his hair. " I'm proud you managed to get your balls back, Kihyun. You really did it."

" It was that hard for him?" Hoseoks asks in disbelief from where he is leaning against the counter.

Minhyuk sighs dramatically. " Do you know how often I had him in my bed when once again couldn't sleep because of his love life?"

Hoseok chokes on his drink. " In your… bed?"

Minhyuk waves his words aside. " Yeah... the perks of being the best friend."

"You can't be jealous, hyung.", Jooheon interposes.  " Last night you slept in Hyungwons bed because you were so nervous."

It is Kihyuns turn to choke on his water.  " Hyungwon?"

He looks at Hoseok with big eyes, fully awake all of sudden. " Sleeping in Minhyuks bed is fine, because look at him, he's in no way a threat. But Hyungwon is more of a top model than human."

"Hey…" Minhyuk grumbles and hits the back of his head.

Hoseok pouts slightly. " I couldn't sleep though..."

" Me, too..."

"Guys… can we do that another day?"

Kihyun looks at Jooheon in indignation. " You started it!"

" Jooheon, I officially love you."

" Hyung~"

Minhyuk and Jooheon beam at each other and the discussion is over.

Hoseok found his way over to them.  He takes Kihyuns hand under the table and Kihyuns shyly intertwines their fingers. Minhyuk and Jooheon of course notice but this time keep quiet, because they know that Kihyun probably needs more time to get used to the situation. To Hoseok everything seems to be easier. He is an affectionate person that loves to touch people from the very start, so it comes natural to him to run his thumb over Kihyuns back of the hand or to start his hair when his arm lays on the backrest of Kihyuns chair.

" I assume you know by now what Kihyuns problem was?" Minhyuk asks bit later into the evening.

" Yes. He told me."

"And we eavesdropped." Jooheon adds and shuts up when Hoseok glares at him.

Minhyuk takes a sip of the tea he made himself earlier.

" I see.", he starts beaming brightly. "More people in the Kihyun protection squad."

Kihyun groans in embarrassment. " I can look after myself."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever.", Minhyuk ignores his complaints and leans closer in to Jooheon and Hoseok. " Since his kidneys aren't working perfectly he gets tired pretty easily. You already notice since you had to carry him here."

Hoseok squeezes Kihyuns hand under the table and he is thankful for the gesture.

" He needs to drink a lot and shouldn't gain too much weight. Also, healthy food. The most important thing is his blood pressure. A too high blood pressure will damage his kidneys more so  he needs to take his medicine on time."

"The one you took when you almost fainted?" Hoseok ask Kihyun.

"Yes. That.", Minhyuk answers for Kihyun, almost accusingly. " He likes to forget it."

" I don't…" Kihyun mutters.

" Sometimes side effects  appear, so be prepared for the possibility he feels sick or dizzy all of sudden."

Kihyun wants to disappears into thin air.

" On top of that, we can't forget about his diabetes. So, it means avoiding sugar as much as possible and taking his insulin on time. But other than that-", Minhyuk claps his hand, happily smiling. " He is s good as new. You made a good purchase, Hoseok."

" I knew that already."

Kihyuns cheeks heat up like so often these past weeks. He slightly feared that Hoseok would let go of his hand after Minhyuks list, but instead of that, it feels like he is holding it even tighter.

" Can I ask about the cause?" Hoseok asks carefully, keeping an eye on Kihyun.

" He--"

" I was stupid when I was younger.", Kihyun interupts Minhyuk. " My diabetes broke out around 10 years ago but when I was in middle school I preferred drinking and smoking over keeping an eye on my body. I didn't realize for quiet the while that my blood pressure and blood sugar where going crazy. Until it was too late."

Jooheon looks from Minhyuk to Kihyun. " And you can't cure it?"

Kihyun shakes his head. " The doctors found out too late. You can cure it in early stages.  In my stage you can try to ease the symptoms and stop the damage from getting worse."

Hoseok faces him. " They have it under control now?"

"I'm feeling fine at the moment, if that's what you want to know." Kihyun nods slowly to undermine his words. " Yes. Even the doctors say I'm doing well. So there is no need to worry as long as I keep things like

they are now."

"We go to the hospital twice every month." Minhyuk ads.

Hoseok stops running his finger over Kihyuns hand. " I will try to make time from now on to accompany you."

"You do--"

"I want to.", Hoseok interrupts him. " Of course I will go there with you and support you. I'm your boyfriend now."

Kihyun feels his stomach doing crazy things, while Minhyuk sniffs  in the corner and wipes away none existing tears. " Heaven must have sent you, Shin Hoseok."

Jooheon nods, purest admiration on his face.

"That was so cool, hyung."

Yes, it was all of that.

But most of all it was what Kihyun needed to hear.
 

 

OOO
 

 

 

It is late when Hoseok and Jooheon decide it is time to leave. Minhyuk and Jooheon disappear in Minhyuks room for a second to 'check out his manga collection' but Kihyun knows they are just doing it to give them a moment of their own.

" You need to work tomorrow?"

Hoseok nods. " You too?"

"Yes."

"Both jobs?"

"Yes. My shift in the coffee shop starts in the evening."

He looks at his feet.

He wants to do so many things, but he is still insecure and awkward and too shy to even take Hoseoks hand.

Thank god, Hoseoks level of awkwardness is different. He tilts his head, smiles and without further ado hugs him where they stand close to the door.

" My poor shy Kihyun."

Kihyun already feels addicted to this. Hoseoks smell, his warmth, his mere presence.

" Go to bed soon, okay?" Hoseoks says when he releases him, only to lean his forehead against Kihyuns, his arms loosely on Kihyuns shoulders.

" I will. You, too."

"I don't think I can sleep.", it doesn't seem to be a bad thing to him, because he smiles happily.

" I'll text you."

Kihyun is a big mush of feelings by that moment so he can only stare and nod.

" But before I go…"

Kihyun had tried to imagine kissing Hoseok before it actually happened.

Where it would happen, how, the feelings.

Before his mind shuts down a big 'Screw all of those ideas' wanders through his head and then there is nothing left but the feeling of Hoseoks soft lips and an explosion of  butterflies in his stomach.
It is only a short kiss but Kihyuns legs already almost give in under him so parting is the only option.

Hoseok hugs him once again.

" I'm really happy, Kihyun. I really am. And I hope I can make you feel the same way."  
 

 

OOO

 

One month and some days later

Kihyun looks out into the night through the coffee shop windows, a small pout on his lips. Once again Hoseok has to stay longer at work and he really doesn't like it out of the stupid reason that he really misses his boyfriend.

A whole lot.

" Kihyun. Even if you hypnotise the window he won't come here faster." Minhyuk calls over from the table where he is doing his homework between Changkyun and Hyungwon.

Kihyun glares at him as he walks back to the counter to serve a new customer.

A nice routine worked out.

Most of the times Hoseok comes over after work at times where Kihyun has to work in the coffee shop to spend some time with him and to sleep over at Kihyuns apartment when he isn't too busy. Kihyun comes over to their home on  days where he doesn't have to work until late.

Why the others decided his and Minhyuks workplace is a great meeting point still is a mystery to him. Jooheon comes over almost every day after his classes, Hyungwon and Changkyun show up in the evening and sometimes he even finds Hyunwoo at his counter, ordering chocolate cake.

Always chocolate cake.

Not that he minds. All of them already grew on him and a lot of times he finds himself eagerly waiting for their familiar faces coming into the shop.

He gives the woman the ordered coffee and waits until she took a seat somewhere in the half empty shop before he makes his way over to his friends table.

" Don't just do your homework and help me."

"Kihyun, my friend.", Minhyuk stops writing for a moment. " The world needs me to gather knowledge."

"The world needs you to bring out the trash. Your course got cancelled today. You had time all day long to do your homework."

"I was busy."

"You played Call of Duty with Jooheon. And take a saucer when you drink coffee.", Kihyun nags when he sees the coffee stain on the table. " I have to clean this afterwards."

"Yes, Mom."

He pinches Minhyuks cheek for that. Hyungwon looks up from his book, an amused smile on his face before he goes back to reading.

For a moment Kihyun takes a seat and slings an arm around Changkyuns shoulder.

"And you? What are you doing here?"

Changkyun looks at the table and plays with his thumbs.

" I… actually was wondering about… something."

Kihyun pricks up his ears. " And that is?"

Changkyuns gaze wanders over to the books in front of Minhyuk.

"Hyung. Do you think I'd be able to attend college... like Minhyuk and Jooheon?"

A huge smiles spreads on Kihyuns face.

"That would be great! Why the sudden interest?"

Changkyun shrugs, getting more awkward when he feels Minhyuks and Hyungwons curious eyes on him.

" You know… after high school I was in.. other businesses…"

"Hoseoks transporter business."

"Minhyuk!", Kihyun kicks his shin under the table and turns back to Changkyun with a smile. "Go on."

"Well... now that we stopped I was thinking about getting a better education... I don't want to have part time jobs for the rest of my life. Hoseok has this job a the marketing company... and Hyunwoo works at the dance academy. Even Hyungwon got an offer from the newspaper. I also want to have something to show off...and for that I need to get a better education."

He looks shyly at Kihyun, awaiting an answer.

The latter pulls him into a half hug.

" I'm really proud of you for thinking like that."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Hyungwon inquires, a slight pout on his lips. Minhyuk elbows him. " Kihyun is the mom. Of course he'll ask him first."

"Why am I the mom?"

Minhyuk just lifts an eyebrow and spares Kihyun an answer.

"Anyways.", Kihyun turns his attention back to Changkyun. " I think it's a great idea."

"I'm just worried about the finances. Jooheon told me about it..."

"We can figure that out later. There are scholarships."

"I don't think I'm that intelligent though…"

"Ahh!", Kihyun pats his shoulder. " You are."

" You should try." Minhyuk adds and Hyungwon also nods.

" Let's talk more about it later. There is a new customer.", Kihyun gets up. " Minhyuk can give you a few more information since he is attending college and doesn't seem to have the will to work soon."

He makes his way over to the counter.

Yes.

Kihyun feels proud thinking about Changkyuns idea. Even though deep inside he is a bit embarrassed that he never attended college. He didn't have the opportunity, not enough money to just get in, too bad marks to get money from somewhere else. But when he finds himself in the staff room to check his mobile a while later he looks around and thinks, that he might be doing just the right thing. One day one of those stores might be his and he couldn't be more happy about the thought.

" Ki-hyun-nah"

Two arms sneak around his waist and he feels a cold nose tip on the back of his neck.

" I missed you." Hoseoks whines quietly, nuzzling his face into Kihyuns neck. The latter laughs because the blondes hair tickles him.

" You can't come inside of here. It's only for staff."

"My boyfriend is the staff.", he turns Kihyun around and pecks his lips. " You need to come to work with me and live in my desk. The day is far too long when I can't have you around."

Kihyun softly punches his shoulder. " You cheesy thing."

Hoseok smirks and leans in for another, a bit longer and far too deep kiss for their current not so private position.

" Shin Hoseok!", Kihyun pants when he is able to separate their lips. " This is my workplace!"

"Makes everything a tiny bit more exciting." Hoseok seductively mutters into Kihyuns ear with his goddamn y voice and Kihyun has to send a short prayer to the heavens that he will be able to keep his pants on because, hell, while being an adorable ray of sunshine Hoseok can be competition to every stripper around.

Kihyun does the only right thing.

He take two huge steps back and draws an imaginary line. "You stay there if you can't behave."

"But…" Hoseoks face falls and his pout turns him into a small puppy in the rain.

Stay strong.

A mantra in Kihyuns head.

" Can I hug you when I promise to behave?"

"Will you though?" Kihyun asks doubtfully and Hoseok nods frantically.

"Of course!"

"Like last time when Minhyuk walked in?"

" You were wearing your white shirt though... that white shirt. And Minhyuk could have knocked.", Hoseok reaches out for him. " You're too cruel!"

Kihyun chuckles lightly and walks back into his boyfriends arms and kisses him.

" How was your day?" he asks while he runs his fingers through a really content looking Hoseoks hair.

" My boss wasn't a complete these days. Yours?"

Hoseoks hands gently wander over his back. It kind of became a habit to him and Kihyun isn't too sure if he even notices but he tends to rest his hands around Kihyuns kidney area. Maybe it is coincidence, maybe he is doing it on purpose but to Kihyun, it makes him only the more perfect.

He leans in and softly kisses Hoseok.

"What was that for?"

"Just because."

"Kihyun! Come out! There are customers!" Minhyuk yells in from outside and destroys their moments together.

" We'll get to talk at home." Kihyun apologizes.

He kisses Hoseoks cheek once more and leaves for the counter.
 

 

OOO
 

Kihyun once again looks through the papers he spread on the ground in front of him.

As he already mentioned, like five times only to Changkyun last week, his boss is a good for nothing and Kihyun is actually doing everything he should be doing, even the employees  pay off.

Someone mutters behind his back and he has to bite his cheeks not to burst out into loud laughter.

" Is something the matter, Hoseok?" he asks, acting as if his boyfriend hadn't bothered him the past 20 minutes to finally come to bed because in his opinion it is too cold without Kihyun and too late already and he even brought up the monster under the bed only Kihyun can fight off.

Kihyun still  hasn't moved from his spot.

"Yah!", Hoseok groans and a pillow lands next to Kihyun. " I want to sleep!"

" Feel free to."

"Together!"

"I need to finish this first…"

" You already did!"

The rustling of a blanket and the noise of Hoseok bare feet on the ground. Kihyun can not even say anything before Hoseok already lifts him up from the ground and carries him the few metres over to the bed where he gently lays him down, a satisfied smile on his face.

" A lot better."

Kihyun glares at him but stops pretty soon because well- toned Hoseok looks too adorable in his too big white goodie with the too long sleeves.

" Move over."

Kihyun does as he was told and Hoseok happily joins him under the blanket.

Kihyun shrieks when his cold feet touch his. " Jesus, you're an ice block."

"I told you."

Hoseok kisses him and lays back on the pillow, facing Kihyun and holding his hands in his own.

" Hoseok?"

"Hm?"

"Did Changkyun ever tell you that he is thinking about going to college?"

Hoseok shakes his head. " Never. He does?"

"Yes. He asked me about my opinion earlier."

Hoseok slightly chuckles and flicks his finger against Kihyun nose tip. " He really is fixated on you."

" Of course he is. I make him delicious soup when he is sick while all of you try to feed the poor boy pizza."

Kihyun crawls a bit more under the blanket, his shoulder got cold.

" So… what do you think about his idea?"

"Doesn't sound too bad. I will talk to him after work tomorrow."

"Do that."

They move closer to each other, Hoseok having on arm loosely around Kihyuns waist.

" When is your next doctor appointment?"

"Next week on Tuesday."

" I'll make sure to be there."

Kihyun thinks that it would be nice to have him around,  but his sense of duty kicks in.

" Don't. You would have to stay away from work."

Hoseok pokes the tip of his nose. " You're not getting rid of me."

" I can--"

" This time, let me come with you.", Hoseok slings his arms around Kihyun and pulls him closer. " I want to learn about everything there is to know."

Kihyun nuzzles his face into Hoseoks neck. " Why did I deserve you again?"

Hoseok only chuckles quietly and they soon fall asleep.

 

 

OOO

 

 

 


Kihyun isn't too fond of cold weather and when he walks through the cold streets, deeply buried in his thick scarf he prays that soon spring will come over.

He checks the time on his mobile.

He will arrive almost perfectly at the subway station where he will meet Hoseok.

He is torn.

On the one side, he is happy that Hoseok was able to get off work a bit earlier only to accompany him to his appointment at the hospital. On the other hand he feels slightly guilty because his boyfriend worked longer into the night the day before.

" Don't mention it." Hoseok had said, his usual bright smile on his face.

Kihyun decided to be okay with it.

He speeds up when the subway station is in view, still always missing Hoseok as soon as he can't talk to the other.

There, on the other side of the street he can see his blonde hair.

Kihyun waits at the traffic light until the red light turns green, not being able to hide his grin. In all of his excitement Kihyun doesn't notice a figure slowly coming closer to him from behind, until that someone slings an arm around his shoulders and pulls him closer.