Chapter 9

To Protect...or Die to Protect

An Asiana flight took off from LAX around 12 midnight. It is a private plane that has Shinhwa, BTS, and Mark on it. The plane was in the air for a while and then Eric stood up quietly and walked to the back of the plane. Everyone was sleeping, except for Andy. Andy was sitting in the back with Mark’s head in his lap. He was running his fingers through Mark’s hair. Andy looked up and smiled at Eric.

Eric whispered, “How is he?”

Andy whispered, “He’s fine. He’s still sleeping. A few times he shivered but I was able to get him warm enough.”

Eric stood up and grabbed another blanket and laid it over Mark. Eric sat back down and said, “Why aren’t you sleeping?”

Andy shrugged and said, “I don’t know.”

Eric said, “You know, if you’re going to take care of Mark, you’re going to have to get some rest. He’s going to be a handful when we get to Korea.”

Andy nodded and said, “Yeah, I know. I think that’s the reason why it’s hard for me to sleep. Everything is running through my head on what is Mark going to do when we get to Korea? How is he going to react when he sees he’s not back in California anymore?”

Eric nodded and said, “I know. That’s when we have to set him right, and teach him how it is in Korea. After all, he IS like our family. So, for now, we need to treat him as such.”

Andy nodded and ran his fingers through Mark’s hair again and said, “Yeah, you’re right. Okay, I think I’m going to get some sleep.”

Eric looked at his watch and said, “It’s going to take about five more hours till we land in Incheon.”

Andy nodded again and got comfortable as he closed his eyes and fell asleep. Eric smiled and walked back to his seat and laid back. He closed his eyes and fell asleep.

Five hours later, the captain mentioned that they will be arriving at Incheon Airport soon. Eric awoke everyone and they got ready to leave the plane. They were descending toward the airport, when they heard a noise in the back. They turned and saw Mark slowly sitting up. He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hands as Andy sat there watching him. The others looked at each other, and then back at Mark.

Mark stretched and yawned and looked around. He looked at Andy and said, “What’s going on? Where are we?”

Just then they heard the captain say, “Welcome to Incheon, South Korea. I hope you had a wonderful flight.”

Mark sat there with wide eyes as he looked out the windows and saw everything was different. He stood up and looked at Andy and said, “What are we doing in Korea?”

Andy bit his bottom lip and said, “Mark, we....”

Before Andy could answer, Eric walked over and said, “Mark, you may not remember, but we brought you here to keep you safe. Now you may not like it, or you may cause a disruption, but you WILL listen to us this time. We are not going to tolerate you getting pissed because you are not in California, is that clear?”

Mark pouted and sat back down. He didn’t say anything.

Eric sighed and walked over. He stood in front of Mark and grabbed his chin and made him look up at Eric. Eric said, “Am I clear?”

Mark sighed and said, “Yes, Eric. I understand.”

Eric nodded and said, “Good. Also while we are in Korea, you are going to learn some manners that you didn’t have in America...starting with you are to call all of us, hyung, because we are older than you.”

Mark looked at everyone and then at Eric and said, “Why do we have to say it? I didn’t hear anyone else saying it back home.”

Eric nodded and said, “Well, in America, remember they don’t have the same manners as Korea does. But, here, you are going to respect us, understand.”

Mark sighed and said, “I understand, Eric.”

Mark heard someone clearing their throat and Mark looked up to see Eric standing there. Mark said, “I understand...Eric...hyung.”

Eric reached over and ruffled Mark’s hair and said, “See that wasn’t so bad. Now, come on. We have to get you settled in our house and we need to see some people.”

Mark stood up with Andy and they walked out of the plane. They walked through the jet bridge into the terminal. Mark looked around at the many people walking out of the other plane. Shinhwa’s plane has their own terminal usage. Mark looked over at the window and stood there looking outside at the Incheon airport.

Shinhwa and BTS were ready to leave when Andy said, “Hold up.” They turned and looked to see what the holdup was. They realized that Mark is uncomfortable and sad that he’s left Jackson and his home. Andy walked over and put his hand on Mark’s right shoulder. But, Mark didn’t move.

Andy said, “Come, Mark. Let’s go.”

Mark sighed and said, “I never said goodbye to Jackson. I hope he’ll find me.” Mark looked up at Andy and said, “Do you think he’ll find where I am at?”

Andy nodded and said, “Of course he will. Jaebum and Yugyeom is there and waiting for him. Once they talk to him, they’ll bring him here to be with you. But, for now. We need to go to the house.”

Mark nodded and got up. Mark and Andy walked towards Shinhwa and BTS as they walked to the baggage claim. Mark stood back as he watched them grab their bags. Mark was looking around at the other passengers going to and from the planes. Many of them were going to the cabs. Mark started to follow a young American towards the backdoor where the taxis were waiting. He looked out the door.

Shinhwa and BTS were ready to leave but realized they’re missing someone. Andy sighed and ran over to Mark and grabbed his arm. He led him over to Shinhwa and BTS and they walked to the waiting limos. Mark got in the first limo with Shinhwa, while BTS got in the limo behind Shinhwa’s.

Mark looked out the window as he passed many people, businesses, and malls. He sighed because he knows he’ll never understand Korea. The limos go through the city of Seoul, until they take a turn and head away from the city. Mark watched the bustle of the city go, as the limo was taking them through the countryside, and soon, they stopped at a closed gate. Mark watched as a guard walked over and spoke to the limo driver in Korean. The gate opened and the limos drove towards the front of the house. The limos stopped at the front of the house, and two men walked out and opened the doors in both cars. Everyone got out of the cars. Mark stood there and looked at the house. It was huge.

Mark couldn’t believe this was actually a house. Andy walked over and saw Mark’s mouth open and said, “What do you think?”

Mark said, “It’s amazing. I never thought a house like this was real.”

Andy smirked and said, “Wait until you go into the house. You’ll get dizzy.”

Everyone walked up the steps to the front door. The butler opened the door and everyone walked in. There were maids standing off to the side and they bowed as Shinhwa, and BTS walked in. The maids stood up and their eyes immediately were drawn to Mark, who instantly became shy and hid behind Andy. Andy chuckled at the way Mark was acting.

Andy moved out of the way, which made Mark exposed to the maids. An older maid, probably the leader of the maids walked over and looked Mark up and down. She narrowed her eyes at him and grabbed his chin which made him flinch. She said, “I see that Shinhwa brought a guest. What’s your name?”

Mark stood there and didn’t know what to say. The maid was talking in Korean, and he didn’t really know how to speak it. He tried grabbing onto Andy, but he couldn’t get anyone. He finally pulled away from the maid and looked at Andy with fear in his eyes.

Andy realized the problem. He looked at the maid and said, “I’m sorry, but he doesn’t speak Korean. You’ll have to talk to him in English.”

The maids all nodded and the older maid looked at Mark and in perfect English said, “What is your name?”

Mark was amazed at how well the maid spoke English and he stumbled over his words as he said, “Um...I...I’m Mark Tuan.”

The maid nodded and said, “Mark Tuan. Doesn’t sound like a Korean name.”

Mark looked at Andy and then back at the maid and said, “I can speak Chinese and English.”

The maid cried out and raised her hands as she said, “CHINESE?!”

Instantly Mark got scared and moved back to where he hit the wall with his back. Eric walked over and stood in front of Mark and said, “Our maid came from China. She hasn’t seen or met another Chinese person. So, she might talk to you in Chinese. If she gets too obnoxious, let us know.”

Mark nodded and watched as many of the maids walked away. Only two were left. Eric said, “Take those bags up to Mark’s room.”

Mark looked at Eric and said, “My room? I’m staying here?”

Eric smirked and said, “Of course. We are not letting you go anywhere without one of us. You are stuck with us now.”

Andy walked passed Mark and said, “Until Jackson comes back of course.”

Eric nodded and said, “Of course.”

Eric lightly pushed Mark towards the stairs and said, “Go on up. Take a look at your room and unpack.”

Mark walked up the crescent shaped staircase and found the maids waiting in front of his room. The maids walked in and Mark was shocked at the room. The maids put his luggage on the bed and stood off the side.

Mark looked at them and bowed. Then he said, “Thank you.”

One of the maids looked at him and in English said, “You are very welcome.”

The maids walked over to the door and closed it, so that Mark could get used to the room. It was a bigger room than he’s ever seen before. A room fit for a King or a Prince. Scenery pictures littered the walls. The walls were a bronze color with gold filigree. The windows were very tall. He walked over and he could see the grounds around the house. He looked at the bed and he couldn’t believe it. It was a King sized bed. He sat on his and moved to the middle. The bed looked like it was ready to swallow Mark up. He looked so small in the bed.

Mark unpacked whatever clothes he had and hung them up or folded them and put them in a dresser. After that was done, he laid down on the bed and looked up at the ceiling. It was a dome shape and it appeared to have a picture of stars and angels. Soon, Mark’s eyes closed and he fell asleep.

Four hours later, there was a soft knock on the door. The door opened and in peeked Andy. He looked around, and then looked at the bed. There Mark was sleeping soundly in the bed. Andy walked over to the foot of the bed and smiled at how innocent Mark looked while sleeping. Andy quietly walked over to the closet and opened it. He found a blanket and brought it over and gently laid it on Mark’s sleeping form. He made sure that Mark didn’t wake up. Mark needed to get some rest.

Andy walked down the stairs, and Shinhwa were in the living room. Minwoo said, “I thought you were going to get Mark?”

Andy nodded as he sat down next to Hyesung and said, “I did. Until I walked into his room and saw him sleeping soundly in the bed.”

Dongwan said, “It appears he’s gotten accustomed to Korea.”

Andy said, “He’s not. You saw him. He’s practically frightened. I don’t like seeing Mark like that.”

Dongwan said, “I know. I was just joking. I saw the way he looked when the maids were trying to talk to him. He nearly fainted.”

Eric said, “Well, we shouldn’t be mean to Mark. This is his first time coming to Korea and I don’t want his stay to be disastrous. Andy and Minwoo, as seeing you both have been taking care of Mark the most, I want you to show him around the house, the grounds, and also help him with his Korean.”

Minwoo nodded and said, “But, what if he gets mad and his shift comes out?”

Eric said, “We’ll deal with that if it happens.”

Eric stood up and said, “Well, I’m going to call some people to come over. We need to figure out how to keep the Federation at bay.”

Eric walked out of the living room and into the den. Jun Jin stood up and looked at everyone and said, “Come on. Let’s go outside and play. We haven’t done much together in a LONG time.”

The other Shinhwa members looked at each other and nodded. They ran out in the back and started to play some games. Instead of looking like members in a gang, they looked more like children. BTS heard the commotion and went outside to play along. Eric had rejoined after talking on the phone. Soon, 11 people were playing games.

Mark twitched when he heard people yelling and screaming. He opened his eyes and sat up. He yawned and stretched. He noticed a blanket covered him, which he remembered there was no blanket before. Someone must’ve come into his room. He got up and heard commotion coming from outside. He looked through the window and watched as Shinhwa and BTS were playing volleyball. He walked out of the room and down the stairs.

Mark was going to walk outside, but stopped. He thought, ‘Maybe they don’t want him to play. They have enough players, they surely don’t need another one.’ Mark sighed and started to think about Jackson. He walked through the dining room and saw a beautiful long wooden cherry table that could seat almost 20 people. He saw dishes and glassware in china cabinets. He found his way into the kitchen and he noticed there was no one in there.

He breathed in and could smell something delicious. He noticed that it was some kind of stew or soup. He looked on the kitchen table and saw a bowl of cookies. He hasn’t had any for a while, and his stomach started to grumble. He walked over and reached down to grab a cookie, when his hand was slapped hard. He yelped and took his hand back and rubbed the back of his hand as he looked over and it was the senior maid.

The senior maid had a wooden spoon in her hand and said, “You are a nice boy, Master Mark, but you shouldn’t spoil your appetite.”

Mark sighed and said, “I’m sorry. I was hungry. I haven’t eaten and my stomach is grumbling. Please?”

The senior maid shook her head and said, “No. Now, shoo. Go outside with the rest of the children.”

Mark didn’t move, so the senior maid turned Mark around and led him out of the kitchen but not without landing a smack to his backside with the spoon. It caused Mark to yelp and turn around to look at the maid.

She said, “Now let that be a lesson. No more spoiling your appetite.”

Mark sighed and walked over to the door and peeked around to watch the others playing. He watched as Shinhwa and BTS were laughing when the ball hit J-Hope in the head causing him to fall to the ground. J-Hope started to crack up laughing as well. Mark chuckled a little as he watched them. He so wished to play, but he doesn’t know if they want him as a player.

He didn’t have to wait long, when the ball bounced off Dongwan’s head and rolled over to where Mark was standing. He eyed the ball but then he saw Jimin run over and he stopped as he looked at Mark. Jimin smiled at Mark, and Mark smiled back at him.

Jimin said, “Mark, you want to play with us?”

Mark bit his bottom lip and said, “Is it okay with you? I’ve never played before.”

Jimin was shocked and said, “You’ve never played volleyball?”

Mark shook his head and said, “No. Shifters were never allowed to play or do anything for fun.”

Jimin sighed and picked up the ball. He turned and walked back to the group, and Mark sighed. He looked down at the floor and started to walk away from the door when he heard his named called. He turned around to see Jin walking towards him.

Jin walked over and grabbed Mark’s hand and said, “Come on. Let’s play. We are 11 and you make an even 12. I heard from Jimin that you’ve never played volleyball. We can show you how to play.”

Eric and Jin were picking players and soon they figured out who is going to be on what team.

Team Eric                                             Team Jin
Eric                                                      Jin
   Andy                                                  J-Hope
     Mark                                                Taehyung
     JunJin                                               Dongwan
    Suga                                                  Minwoo
Hyesung                                                 Jimin

Andy started to explain to Mark how to play volleyball. He showed him how to hit the ball when his hands are clasped together, and also when to hit it with your open hand. Mark nodded and listened to every word that Andy said about volleyball.

Eric said, “Let’s show him how to play.”

Eric started to game and soon the ball was going over the net over and over and over again. Mark watched the ball as his teammates were hitting it over, then the ball was hit by Jin and it came towards Mark. He brought his hand up and it caused the ball to land in their court. Team Jin jumped around and laughed, while Team Eric groaned.

Mark felt bad for causing his teammates to lose a point. Andy walked over and said, “Don’t worry about it. It’s just a game. They take it too seriously. Let’s continue.”

The came continued and it was 14 to 5 with Team Jin leading. Everyone was breathing hard and sweating, all except for Mark. He wasn’t doing much because he couldn’t get the ball over the net. He looked at his teammates and saw them sweating. He looked at Team Jin and saw Taehyung and J-Hope dancing around and then they turned their backs and wiggled their butts. Mark narrowed his eyes at them.

Jin hit the ball and soon each team was hitting the ball over the net. When it came to Mark, he jumped up just as J-Hope did and he hit the ball into their court and got Team Eric a point. Team Eric cheered for Mark and jumped around laughing and sticking their tongues out at Team Jin.

The game went on for about four hours with the score being 32 to 30 with Team Jin still in the lead. Now, Mark was sweating and breathing hard. He was really creaming Team Jin and they were starting to get nervous every time Mark got close to the net. Every time he was able to put the ball into their court. Andy walked over and stood behind Mark. He started to speak to Mark and he nodded his head. Andy walked back to his spot and Eric hit the ball into play.

Again the ball went over the net many times. Mark watched as Andy hit the ball, then Eric hit the ball, then JunJin hit the ball. And he watched as Jin, V, Dongwan and Jimin hit the ball over as well. Then J-Hope hit the ball and it went towards Mark. Mark stepped up and jumped high. He reached up and slapped the ball down and before it hit the ground, Jimin was able to keep it in play. Mark groaned and they continued to play, until the ball was hit towards Mark by Jin and again Mark jumped up and this time he slapped it down and it hit their court causing Team Eric to win with 34 points. Team Jin fell to the ground and laid there breathing heavily. Team Eric jumped around and laughed calling Mark the best volleyball player.

V looked at Jin and said, “How did he do that? He’s never played before?”

Jin shrugged and said, “Beats me. But, he really beat the snot out of us, and we’ve been playing for years.”

Team Eric was so happy, they turned around and looked at Team Jin. Eric said, “Because you lost, you have to clean the dishes.”

Team Jin groaned and fell back on the grass. Team Eric laughed and walked back into the house. Of course the senior maid was there with her spoon, and telling them to take a shower. She walked outside and said, “Come on! It’s almost dinner time! You need to shower up before you eat!”

Team Jin jumped up and ran into the house before the senior maid could use the spoon on them. Each one showered and put on clean clothes. They walked downstairs and into the dining room. They sat in the chairs and waited. Andy noticed an empty chair. He stood up and ran up the stairs. He knocked on the door, but there was no answer. He opened the door but didn’t see Mark. He heard the water running in the bathroom.

Andy knocked on the bathroom door and said, “Mark, are you alright?”

Mark was standing in the shower under the water and said, “Y...Yes I’m fine.”

Andy said, “Oh okay. Well, we are already downstairs, so when you are done come to the dining room.”

Mark nodded and said, “I...I will.”

Andy had a feeling something wasn’t right. Mark doesn’t usually stutter. He shook his head and walked out of the bedroom and down the stairs. Mark waited and finally shut the water off. He was shivering and breathing heavily. He got out of the shower and walked over to the vanity. He wiped off the mirror which was foggy, and there standing in front of the mirror was Mark with yellow eyes. He lifted his right hand and it had a paw with claws on it. Cat ears showed up on Mark’s head.

 

To be continued...

 

Author’s Note:

What did you think of this chapter?

Interesting huh? I wanted to make this chapter a little fluffy with the way the senior maid acts. She’s almost like a mother to Shinhwa and BTS.

Oh my, what is going on with Mark? After his shower, he started looking like a cat. I wonder what brought that on.

 

If you liked this chapter please:

 

 

                                      SUBSCRIBE...COMMENT...UPVOTE!!!