Chapter 8

To Protect...or Die to Protect

At the Shinhwa mansion…

Later that day, Minwoo found Andy sitting out in the back under the stars. Minwoo knew how much he cared for everyone, but he was also sensitive, especially when it came to Mark. Minwoo walked over and sat down next to Andy. There was silence between them.

After a few minutes of no talking, Andy finally spoke, “I’m sorry.”

Minwoo looked at Andy and said, “What? Why are you sorry?”

Andy looked at the ground and said, “For losing my cool.”

Minwoo smiled and said, “It’s okay. Everyone does. Besides, you have become close to Mark since Jackson left. You’ve become his older brother until Jackson comes back.”

Andy sighed and looked at Minwoo as he said, “I know, but I’m just afraid of how Mark is going to react to the moving. He could become violent or run away.”

Minwoo nodded and said, “That’s why we have to be there for Mark. We need to be there if he tries to run away, or becomes violent. I know that we saw a side of Mark that we hope to NEVER see again, but remember, he IS a shifter. So, we’ll see his shift whether we like it or not.”

Andy nodded and said, “Yeah, I guess. I just wish there was another way to help Mark.”

Minwoo sighed and said, “I envy the bond Mark and Jackson have.”

Andy looked at Minwoo again and was surprised. Minwoo has never spoke out about his feelings before. Andy said, “Oh? Why?”

Minwoo looked at Andy and said, “Look at how close they are? Even though Jackson and Mark are Princes, they don’t come out as it. They prefer to keep their title silent. Mark became a slave, while Jackson becomes the Prince. But, neither of them have any jealousy or hatred to one another because of it. Jackson even went out of his way and changed Mark’s name so that he wouldn’t be noticed.”

Andy nodded and said, “I guess that’s why Shinhwa and BTS needs to stand together and protect Mark and Jackson while the Federation is looking for them.”

Minwoo nodded and said, “Exactly. And that’s why we need to do everything possible to help Mark, and if that means we have to move to do it, then so be it. At least Jaebum and Yugyeom will be here to explain to Jackson where Mark is. So, come on, let’s go back and help Mark.”

Andy nodded and both of them stood up. They walked back into the house, and Minwoo opened the door to the den. All eyes turned to the ones entering. They were surprised to see Minwoo and Andy walk in.

Andy walked in and bowed as he said, “I apologize for my behavior earlier.”

Andy stood up and looked at the floor waiting to hear something from anyone but no one said a word. Andy sighed as he noticed a pair of feet stand in front of him. He felt arms go around his shoulders and pull him towards a chest. As he looked at the others sitting he realized that the one hugging him is Hyesung. Andy wrapped his arms around Hyesung’s waist.

Hyesung said, “You don’t need to apologize. We understand your feelings.” Hyesung pulled away and looked at Andy as he said, “You are Shinhwa’s youngest and the one that took the opportunity to take care of someone else.”

Andy smiled and blushed a little from Hyesung’s comment. No one has ever said that he is the youngest in the group. Yeah, sure. He can shoot a gun, and do hand-to-hand fighting. But, his age has never stopped him. He felt his heart skip a beat as he realized that s care very deeply for Andy and want him to be happy.

Andy looked at Eric and said, “Whatever you need to do to help Mark, I’ll be there as well. I want Mark to live a normal happy life. I understand that he will try to bolt or become violent and I want to be there if and when it happens.”

Eric nodded as he stood up saying, “That’s good to hear Andy.” Eric looked at his watch and said, “Let’s take care of this now, I want us to leave as soon as possible.” Eric looked at Jun Jin and said, “Jun Jin, get the plane ready. Once we get Mark drugged, we need to get packed and out of here as soon as possible. BTS, get your stuff ready, I was us to move. We have all of our things back in Korea, so we don’t really need to take anything.”

Everyone started to do their job. Eric looked at the other Shinhwa members and said, “Well, let’s get this done. Yugyeom, you might as well come with so that you can help Dongwan in drugging Mark.”

Dongwan walked out of the den and into his laboratory and got a few syringes and vials of the drug that he’s going to use to get Mark to sleep. He walked out and motioned for Shinhwa and Yugyeom to follow. They walked up the stairs and stopped in front of Mark’s room. Dongwan knocked on the door but no one answered. He opened the door and noticed that the light was off, and they could see Mark’s figure on the bed. They realized he was sleeping.

They walked in and Eric switched the lights on. Mark groaned and sat up as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He looked over and was surprised to see Shinhwa and Yugyeom in his room.

“Hey, guys. What’s going on? Why are all of you in my room?” Mark kept looking at them and then he stood up and said, “Is Jackson here? Is he alright?”

Andy walked in front of Shinhwa and said, “Jackson isn’t here.”

Mark sighed and sat back down on the bed, then he said, “So, why are you guys here, then?”

Andy looked behind him as Eric and Minwoo nodded. Andy walked over to Mark and kneeled in front of him. He said, “Mark, there is something that you need to know. Shinhwa and BTS came up with a solution to help with trying to get the Federation off our tails.”

Mark nodded and said, “What is it?”

Andy sighed and touched Mark’s hands as he said, “We have to move.”

Mark nodded and said, “Okay. So, then let’s move. At least we can stay around the area for Jackson.”

Andy bit his bottom lip and said, “Um, that’s not what I meant when I said move. I meant we are going to move to Korea.”

Mark sat there trying to understand what he just heard. He heard Andy say that they are movie to Korea in order to keep the Federation off their back. But, if they move, then what will happen to Jackson? How will Jackson get to them?

Mark looked at Andy and said, “You mean leave Jackson behind?”

Andy shook his head and said, “No. But, we don’t even know where he is. We have to think about ourselves for right now.”

Mark nodded and said, “Okay. Then move. I’ll stay here and wait for Jackson.”

Andy sighed and said, “Actually, you have to come with us. We won’t keep you from our sight.”

Mark’s eyes widened and said, “WHAT?! You want ME to leave too?! What about Jackson? How will he be able to come find me?!”

Andy was a little surprised by the explosion, but he was also expecting this. He was feeling nervous when there was no reaction from Mark before.

Andy shook his head and said, “No, we don’t want you to leave Jackson, but if Jackson was here, he would say for us to take you somewhere where you’ll be safe. Besides we’ll let Jackson know where you are.”

Mark shook his head and said, “No. I’m not leaving. Not until I find Jackson.”

Andy said, “Mark, listen to me. We can’t do that.”

Mark pulled his hands out of Andy’s grasp and said, “I don’t care. I’m NOT leaving.”

Andy sighed and stood up. He took a few steps back as he watched Mark look at the others. Mark felt the tears in his eyes, but he tried to keep them at bay. He looked at the others and said, “You guys are trying to keep me and Jackson separated. You don’t want either of us to be happy.”

Minwoo spoke, “No. It’s not like that. We want you and Jackson to be together again, but not like this. We promised Jackson that we would protect you while he wasn’t around.”

Mark shook his head and said, “Jackson wouldn’t say that. I’m not going to abandon Jackson.”

Hyesung walked over and said, “Moving doesn’t mean that you are abandoning Jackson. It only lets Jackson know that you are still safe, and away from the Federation’s reaches.”

Mark shook his head and said, “No. I’m not leaving Jackson behind. Besides, I don’t know Korean all that well. No. I’m going to wait for Jackson here.”

Eric finally spoke and said, “Mark, we understand your concern for your brother. But, it’s our job to look after you now. Jackson promised us to watch over you until he comes back. If that means we move to another country to keep you safe, we are doing it whether you like it or not.”

Mark started to rub his head and looked at the floor as he said, “You are not going to force me to go with you. I’m not leaving.”

Eric said, “Yes, you ARE leaving and we are not going to continue with this discussion. We have to leave as soon as possible. I want you to get all your things packed and ready to leave when BTS finishes their packing.”

There was silence and Andy looked over at Mark. He noticed that Mark stopped rubbing his head and just sat there with his head hanging.

Andy bent down and lightly touched Mark’s shoulder and said, “Mark?”

Suddenly, Mark slapped Andy’s hand away and jumped up as he pulled Andy in front of him. Shinhwa gasped at Mark’s change, but also that Mark’s hand changed into a hand with claws and one of the claws was against Andy’s throat.

Mark’s eyes turned yellow and he said, “I am not leaving. You will not force me to go anywhere.”

Minwoo said, “Mark what are you doing? That’s Andy, you’re hurting.”

Then it dawned on them, they are not looking at Mark, but his shift. Mark’s become emotional, so the shift decided to take the chance to step forward.

Minwoo said, “Who are you? You aren’t Mark.”

Mark looked at Minwoo and said, “I am Mark. But, I’m letting you know that I won’t allow you to take me anywhere that I don’t want to go.”

Dongwan said, “You’re not Mark. You’re the shift. You take over Mark’s body when he becomes angry or emotional.”

Mark smirked and said, “Very good. I’m surprised that anyone knew what was going on.”

Dongwan said, “I should know as seeing I’m the one that heals.”

Mark laughed and held Andy securely in his arms as the claw stayed at Andy’s throat. Mark said, “So, if I were to rip Andy’s throat out, you’d be able to heal? I don’t think you have the resources to heal that kind of wound. Am I right?”

Dongwan sighed and said, “That’s correct. Back in Korea, I would have more resources.”

Mark narrowed his eyes at Dongwan and said, “Then Shinhwa and BTS goes to Korea and leave me here.”

Hyesung said, “I’m sorry but we can’t do that.”

Mark said, “So, I guess you really don’t care about your member.” Mark pressed the claw harder against Andy’s throat causing a small wound to open and some blood dripped down his neck. Andy whimpered.

Minwoo heard Andy whimper but also saw how scared he was and pain showed up on his face. Minwoo took a few steps forward, but Mark stepped backwards and held onto Andy. Mark wasn’t going to let Andy go without cutting his throat open. Minwoo kept up the little steps until Mark found himself with his back against the wall still holding onto Andy.

Mark growled as Minwoo got closer and he started to drag his claw across Andy’s throat little by little. More drops of blood and Andy whimpered more.

“Minwoo. Stop. Don’t come any closer.”

Minwoo stopped when he heard Andy’s frantic warning. Minwoo can’t believe that Mark is doing this.

Mark looked at Minwoo, and then looked behind him to see Dongwan and Yugyeom loading something. He was curious but also was alert. He watched as Dongwan and Yugyeom lifted something up and realized they were dart guns. Mark growled again and put more pressure on Andy’s neck.

“You hit me with a dart, I’ll kill Andy.”

Minwoo lifted his hand up quickly to signal them from not doing anything yet. They watched what is going to happen next. Andy whimpered again as he felt Mark’s hand getting tighter and the claw was digging more into Andy’s neck.

There was silence between everyone in the room. Mark stayed tense until the door bust open and in walked BTS. Jin gasped and ran towards Mark and Andy. He stopped when Andy yelled for him to stop.

Jin said, “Mark, what are you doing?”

Mark stood there and said, “They want to take me away from Jackson. I don’t want to go.”

Jin sighed and said, “Mark, be reasonable. They are only trying to keep you safe and away from the Federation. Do you really want to go back with them and become a slave for the rest of your life?”

Mark didn’t answer and just looked at Jin and said, “You are trying to get me to leave too. I’m not leaving. You can try though, but I won’t leave.”

Jin looked at the others and then at Mark and said, “Yi Eun. Don’t do this.”

Mark tensed again when Jin called him by his real name. Mark was so used to the new name, that he almost forgot about his real name. Everyone can see the change in Mark since Jin walked into the room. They hope that Jin can talk some sense into Mark.

But, it didn’t help to get Mark to loosen his hold on Andy. Jin sighed and he knew he was going to hate this, but it has to be done. Mark and Andy watched as Jin started to unbuckle his belt. Mark was tensing up even more as he watched, wondering what Jin was going to do. Jin suddenly pulled the belt from the loops and folded it. Mark’s eyes quickly showed their surprise and fear. He knows how much pain a belt can give when used on another person.

Jin tapped his folded belt against his leg and said, “Now, I’m not going to fight with you. But, you are going to listen to us. We are trying to help you, and by you trying to hurt someone who is trying to help you, isn’t getting us nowhere. We have to leave before the Federation finds you and us. They know now that you are with us. So, why not just come along and do this for us.”

Mark looked at the belt in Jin’s hand and then at Jin, but he made no attempt to break his grasp from Andy. There was silence, and then all of a sudden Jin raised the belt and brought it down hard on the floor creating a firecracker sound which made everyone jump and even Mark jumped from the noise. This was exactly the effect he wanted out of Mark.

Jin did it again and it caused Mark to jump again from the sound. He knows all too well the belt. He was beaten with it many times at the Federation. His muscles tensed as Jin kept slapping the belt on the floor. Finally, Mark’s hand jumped from Andy’s neck, just enough to allow Andy to get free, turn around and slap Mark in the face hard. Mark was shocked at what happened and Andy grabbed his neck and ran over to Minwoo. Mark ran after Andy but stopped when Jin raised the belt up again and walked toward Mark. Mark backed up against the wall.

Jin said, “Turn around so that you are facing the wall.”

Mark’s eyes went wide and he growled again, until Jin raised the belt again.

Jin said again, “Turn around and face the wall. I’m not going to tell you again.”

Suddenly, the yellow in Mark’s eyes were slowly fading and they realized that the shifter is retreating. Mark bit his bottom lip as he turned around so that he was facing the wall. He was afraid that Jin was going to use the belt on him.

Jin motioned for Dongwan to come over and he took the gun from Dongwan. Dongwan knew what Jin wanted, as Dongwan held his hand out and Yugyeom handed the syringe to Dongwan. They were prepared, just in case. They would’ve used the dart gun, but they had the syringe just in case.

Dongwan and Jin walked closer. Jin put the belt against Mark’s back which caused him to tense and whimper. Dongwan took the syringe and stuck it in Mark’s neck causing him to cry out in pain and surprise. After the liquid was put into Mark’s veins, Jin and Dongwan moved away as they watched Mark turn around and touch his neck. Tears ran down Mark’s face as he tried to lunge at them. The effects of the drug was starting to take its toll as Mark fell to his knees.

Despite himself being hurt by Mark, Andy ran over and grabbed Mark just as he collapsed to the floor. Mark laid on Andy’s lap as Andy gently ran his fingers through Mark’s hair. Slowly, Mark closed his eyes. Andy sighed.

Minwoo walked over and looked at Jin and said, “I didn’t think you had it in you to use force.”

Jin shrugged and said, “I didn’t know if this would have any effect on Mark. I figured while he was in the Federation they would’ve had to have used a belt on him. I didn’t want to hit him with it, just scare him.”

Minwoo nodded and said, “Well, it did the trick. Though, hopefully he won’t be afraid of you after this.”

Jin sighed as he put the belt back on and said, “Me too. I like Mark very much and I don’t want him to be afraid of me.”

Andy looked at the sleeping Mark and then up at Shinhwa as he said, “Will Mark be okay?”

Dongwan stooped down and said, “Mark will be fine. He will sleep for as long as we need him too. We need to get his clothes together and anything else he might need.” Then Dongwan said, “Before we do that, you need to get patched up, Andy.”

Andy shook his head and said, “I’m not leaving Mark alone. I’m fine, Dongwan.”

Suddenly Andy felt himself being pulled up by the arm and saw that it was Minwoo and Suga. Minwoo said, “Don’t be a baby, Andy. Get yourself treated and then you can come back to Mark. You’re bleeding isn’t going to stop by itself. We’ll watch over him.”

Andy sighed and nodded as he took another look at Mark and then went with Dongwan to his office so that he can take a better look at Andy’s throat.

Jin sat down next to Mark and ran his fingers through Mark’s hair and looked at the others as he said, “I feel for Mark. He’s going to a place that he’s never been before. We need to REALLY watch him and make sure nothing happens.”

Eric said, “Don’t worry. Shinhwa is pretty good at keeping an eye out for the people we are protecting. Besides, I need to give a call to some of our allies in Korea to let them know that will be arriving there soon.”

Jun Jin walks in and says, “Eric, the plane is prepped and ready whenever you are.”

Eric nodded and said, “Good. Stay in here with everyone else. I’m going to call our allies in Korea.”

Eric walked out and closed the door. He walked down the stairs to the den and sat down in his chair. He picked up the phone and dialed a number. He waited until a voice was one the other end.

“Yoboseyo.”

Eric smirked and said, “Joonhong is this you?”

An excited voice came on the other side, “Eric hyung? Is that you?”

Eric chuckled and said, “Yes, it’s me. Is your leader there?”

Then Joonhong said, “Aww, why do you want hyung? Don’t you want to talk to me? You haven’t called me in ages.”

Eric sighed and said, “Joonhong don’t whine. I’ve been busy. And I need to talk to him, so please go find him and put him on the phone.”

Joonhong sighed and said, “Okay, let me tell him you’re on the phone.”

Eric waited while Joonhong went to get his leader.

A husky voice came on the other end of the phone, “Eric hyung. A nice surprise to get a call from you.”

Eric smiled and said, “Hello, Yongguk.”

 

To be continued…

 

Author’s Note:

What did you think of this chapter?

I wanted Mark to get physical and emotional knowing that he’s going to leave America and Jackson.

The shift (or cat shift) was taking over Mark’s body because Mark was becoming emotional. The shift didn’t want anyone to hurt Mark or make him do things he doesn’t want to do.

So, Mark was abused with a belt in the Federation. It was lucky that the belt worked when Jin used it, or else Mark would’ve attacked Jin.

So, the ally to Shinhwa in Korea is B.A.P.

 

If you liked this story please…

 

                                     SUBSCRIBE…COMMENT…UPVOTE!!!