Chapter 13

To Protect...or Die to Protect

A door opened and in walked four people. Their steps making echoes in the little cement room. They stopped in front of a figure that was sitting on the floor chained up. Someone shone a light on the figure as another person ripped the blindfold off. The figure looked up but squinted from the bright light in their face. One of the people grabbed the figure’s hair and yanked at it so the figure looks at the people standing over it.

A voice spoke, “Where is Prince Ka Yee?”

The figure sat there but didn’t say anything. Just squinted from the light in their face.

The voice said again with more authority, “Where is Prince Ka Yee?”

When the figure didn’t answer, two of the people pulled the figure up and stood them up. The light was pulled away from the figure and you could see the dirty face of a young boy.

The person standing in front of the boy was a man and he said, “I’m not going to ask you again, where is Prince Ka Yee?”

The boy didn’t say anything. Just then one of the men standing there punched the boy in the stomach making him double over and coughing as he fell to his knees.

The man said, “You do realize that you will NOT leave here until you tell me what I want to know. You, as a shifter, should know what not saying can do to you.”

The boy looked up at the man with fear in his eyes. The man stood there and smiled as he said, “So you do know. Then I suggest you tell me what I want to know, maybe then I’ll be lenient and let you leave here.”

The boy coughed again and said, “I won’t give up Ka Yee.”

The man shook his head and tsked saying, “Too bad. You are a handsome young boy. I guess you will do better at the Federation. I thought you would do wonders outside in the big world.”

The boy said, “Don’t send me to the Federation.”

The man walked over and bent down in front of the boy and said, “Talk to me. Tell me where to find Prince Ka Yee.”

The boy bit his bottom lip and said, “I…I don’t know where he is.”

The man sighed and said, “That’s not the answer I want.” He looked at his men and said, “I want you to take a search party out and search EVERYWHERE for Prince Ka Yee. If he’s with others….kill them. But, I want Prince Ka Yee alive and unharmed.”

The boy said, “Leave Ka Yee alone.”

The man looked down and laughed as he said, “Or what? You going to shift and try to kill us? Fat chance. These chains are made to keep shifters from shifting and escaping. Sorry, kid. But, you’re stuck here until the Federation comes for you, then you will be their problem.”

The man started to walk to the door with his men and then turned around, he looked at the boy as he hung his head and said, “If I were you, I would give up my pride and tell my captor what he wants to know. You are a very good looking boy and you could go far outside in the world. But, then again, there probably isn’t much that a shifter could do anyway.”

He turned and walked out of the room and locked the door.

The boy was Mark. Mark hung his head and tears filled his eyes as he thought about Jackson and the others. He will never see his brother or the others ever again. He wanted to have a life, but he knows that he will never have that now. Mark looked around the room and saw that it was made from cement bricks. There were many holes in between the bricks and water was coming in which is making the room colder. Mark breathed out, and he saw his breath as a mist. He shivered and realized that it was a dungeon. He doesn’t know where he is, or who his captors are, but apparently, they know of the Federation, and that he’s a shifter.

Mark sighed and prayed for someone to help him, even though he knows it’s basically useless.

Back at the Shinhwa mansion…

Jackson was sleeping soundlessly, when suddenly he sat up quickly and looked around. For a minute there, he thought he heard Mark’s voice in the room. But, there was no one there. Jackson looked at the clock and it read 5:00 a.m. Jackson sighed and got up from the bed and put on a shirt, as he walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. He got a glass and filled it with water. He sat down at the kitchen table and looked outside at the yard that is engulfed in darkness. The forest seems to want to swallow him up, as he continued to look at it.

Just then his thoughts were interrupted when he heard a gasp from the doorway. He looked over to see a young boy walk in. Jackson was trying to figure out who he was, and then he remembered that he was one of the maknae’s from the gang B.A.P. Jongup.

The boy walked in and said, “Oh, I didn’t know someone else was up.”

Jackson smiled and said, “Neither did I.”

Jongup walked over to the cabinet and got a glass and then filled it with water as well, as he walked over to the table and sat across from Jackson. Jongup said, “So, what’s your story?”

Jackson said, “Hmm? What do you mean?”

Jongup said, “I wanted to know why you are up before everyone else?”

Jackson sighed as he looked at the glass and said, “I’m just thinking of my brother.”

Jongup nodded and said, “You and your brother were close?”

Jackson shrugged and said, “Not much. He was taken from me when he was a kid. I find out he’s been kidnapped by the Federation, and made a slave. I got him out, only for him to get kidnapped again, and maybe be sent back to the Federation. If that happens, I’ll never see him again.”

Jongup shook his head and said, “Don’t worry. You’ll get your brother back.”

Jackson looked at Jongup and said, “Why do you act so confident that I’ll get Mark back?”

Jongup gave Jackson a small smile and said, “Because, Yongguk hyung, had the same thing happen to him. When he created Joonhong, he was taken from Yongguk hyung and torn apart. Then Yongguk hyung put him back together, and then he was kidnapped to be used as a weapon. But, because he was programmed to be nice, he was thrown into a cell. Yongguk hyung and us were able to break him out.”

Jackson said, “What? You mean your maknae is a machine?”

Jongup nodded and said, “You didn’t know? Yeah, he’s an android.”

Jackson’s eyes went wide and said, “Wow. I wouldn’t have known that. He looks so human-like.”

Jongup nodded and said, “That’s what Yongguk hyung wanted. He wanted Joonhong to look human so that people wouldn’t want to use him to do evil.”

Jackson nodded and said, “But, being a shifter is a little different than a machine.”

Jongup cocked his head to the side and said, “How different?”

Jackson swallowed some water and looked at Jongup and said, “Your group found the android and broke him out. I’m still trying to figure out where Mark is.”

Jongup looked outside and then looked at Jackson as he said, “Have you ever tried using sibling telepathy?”

Jackson looked at Jongup and said, “What? What is that?”

Jongup said, “You’ve never heard of it? It’s kind of like twin telepathy, but the siblings have a way to do the same thing.”

Jackson was intrigued and wanted to know more about this telepathy thing. He said, “Okay, you’ve got my attention. What is this sibling telepathy?”

Jongup said, “When you find time to be alone in your room, use ALL of your energy to try and find your brother. All you have to do is meditate and think of him. If you and your brother have a close relationship, then the sibling telepathy will work.”

Jackson sighed and said, “I don’t know. I’ve never been into things like that.”

Jongup shrugged and stood up after he finished the water and said, “You’ll never know if you don’t try. Just try it and see what happens. Who knows, maybe your brother will be able to tell you where he is.”

Jackson watched Jongup walk toward the doorway and turn as he said, “Many of said that if you have a problem sleeping, it’s because someone is trying to talk to you. How do you know that your brother isn’t trying to contact you through sibling telepathy? Goodnight, Jackson hyung.”

Jongup left and Jackson was alone in the kitchen. How did Jongup know that he heard Mark’s voice? Could this sibling telepathy really work? Well, Jongup did say that if you can’t sleep, it’s due to someone calling your name, and he did hear Mark’s voice.

Jackson stood up and dumped the rest of the water into the sink, and turned the light off. He walked upstairs and into Mark’s room. He sat Indian style on Mark’s bed and rested his arms on his knees. He closed his eyes and tried to push everything out of his mind, so that he could hear Mark’s voice. He sighed and did breathing exercises. Breathe in through the nose, exhale out the mouth. Breathe in through the nose, exhale out the mouth. Breathe in through the nose, exhale out of the mouth. Finally, after a few times doing the breathing exercises he felt himself relax. He started to call Mark’s name through his mind, hoping that Mark can hear him too.

Mark was leaning against the wall with his head down. His eyes were closed and he was shivering from the cold that was creeping in through the holes in the walls. He heard people walking outside the door, but he didn’t bother looking up. What would that do for him? It would only make him more depressed because he knows that he’ll never go outside again, or see Jackson.

Mark tried to fall asleep, but his ribs hurt from being punched, and his hands were freezing and going numb from being up in the air. All the blood was draining from his arms and he has a feeling that it won’t be long before his hands start getting frostbite. Mark opened his eyes and looked at the ground as he let out a breath and mist formed in front of him. It swirled around and dissipated from the cold breeze. He kept making breaths and watching the mist circle around and fade away. Just then he heard a voice.

“Hello?”

Mark just sat there and didn’t make any move that he had heard the sound. In his mind it was either someone outside the door, or he’s losing his mind.

“Hello?” There it was again. Why doesn’t someone pick up the phone and speak?

“Hello?” Mark decided to play with the voice and said, “Hello.”

“Mark? Is that you?” Mark’s eyes went wide and he lifted his head and looked around as he said, “Jackson? Where are you?”

“You can hear me?” Jackson asked.

Mark nodded and said, “Yes. I can. Wait. Am I dreaming? If you’re not here, how am I hearing you?”

Jackson chuckled and said, “Oh man. This is awesome. Someone told me about a sibling telepathy, and I didn’t know if I would get through to you.”

Mark raised an eyebrow and said, “Sibling telepathy? There is no such thing.”

Jackson said, “Yes there is. I’ll have to introduce you to the person who told me about it. Anyway, where are you?”

Mark looked around the room and said, “I’m not sure. It’s a small room made of cement bricks, with only one door. It must be cold outside because a cold breeze is coming through the cracks.”

There was a pause and then Jackson said, “So, you can’t tell me your location?”

Mark sighed and said, “No. I’m sorry Jackson. I don’t know where I am.”

There was silence again and Jackson said, “You said you might be outside. Can you hear anything going on around you outside, like any noises?”

Mark was quiet as he closed his eyes and used his enhanced hearing ability, and he could hear someone talking, and then a car door slam. Not too far off, he heard a train whistle, and a plane flying overhead.

Mark said, “I hear people talking, and someone got into a car. I hear a train not too far away, and a plane just flew overhead that seemed pretty low.” Just then, Mark started coughing.

Jackson said, “That’s awesome. Thanks. Hey, are you alright? That cough doesn’t sound too good.”

Mark sighed and started to wheeze as he said, “Jackson, if you’re going to save me, you better do it soon. My body is freezing and I don’t know how much longer I can stay sane.”

Jackson said, “What do you mean?”

Mark sighed and said, “Please, Jackson. Come find me. Get me out of here. I don’t want to hurt anyone.”

Suddenly, someone was walking towards the door and Mark quickly said, “Jackson, someone is coming. Don’t contact me again.” The door opened and in walked some men. They walked over to Mark and stood him up. His legs have become numb from sitting on the cold floor. They unchained him and his arms fell to his sides. They were leading him out of the cold room. They walked through a doorway and into a warm hallway. They walked down a long narrow dimly lit hallway, till they came to a door. They opened it and pushed Mark inside. He fell to the floor and looked around in the dark.

Mark crawled to where the door was and tried to open it, but it was locked. He slowly stood up and felt around until he found a switch. He turned it on and the lights blinded him for a few minutes. He covered his eyes until the painful headache from the lights went away. After his eyes got accustomed to the lights, he looked around. It was a bedroom. That’s strange, he was held in the cold room for so long, and now they put him in a cozy bedroom.

The bedroom was like no other he’s ever seen. The ceiling was very tall, there were windows that was about 10 feet tall. The carpeting was a maroon color with gold filigree. There were paintings of ponds, mountains, and forests on the walls. The walls were an ivory color. The bed was a 4-poster canopy bed with sheer drapes over it. The color was maroon as well. The bed was a King and it was a decent height. The cover was maroon velvet, and there were white sheets underneath with a maroon leaf pattern on it. There were white pillows and also maroon velvet pillows as well. He walked over to the bathroom and was equally surprised. It was a huge bathroom with a shower and a walk-in closet on the other side of the bathroom.

Mark walked back into the bedroom and looked around. He couldn’t understand why they stuck him in a room instead of in the dungeon. He sat on the bed until the door opened and in walked a beautiful woman. She had brownish-red hair down to her shoulders and a long red dress that fit her curves perfectly.

The woman walked over and she bowed to Mark and said, “Yi Eun, how are you feeling?”

Yi Eun? Man how strange it was to hear his real name. He has completely forgotten his name, as seeing he’s been using Mark for the longest time.

Mark said, “Um, what’s going on? Why am I in a room?”

The woman said, “After careful consideration, the leader decided to have you put in a room instead of the freezer room.”

Mark said, “Freezer room? Is that where I’ve been since they brought me here?”

The woman nodded and said, “That is correct.”

Mark sighed and said, “So, who is the leader? Where am I?”

The woman walked towards the windows and closed the maroon velvet drapes as she said, “You are in Busan. This house is the leader Zico’s house.”

Mark cocked his head to the side and said, “Zico? Who is he?”

The woman said, “He is the leader of Block B.”

Mark sighed and looked at the woman and said, “Who are you and why are you helping me?”

The woman toward Mark and sat down in front of him and said, “My name is Jina. I am a friend of Shinhwa. I’ve also been assigned by Zico to take care of you.”

Mark’s eyes went wide and said, “Really? Are you going to try and help me escape?”

Jina shook her head and said, “No. But, I’ve given word to Shinhwa. But, they don’t know where the house is. So, the next time I leave the house, I’ll give him word of your location.”

Mark said, “Jina, there was a man that came into the freezer room and asked me about the whereabouts of Ka Yee. Who is the man?”

Jina stood up and bowed as she looked at Mark and said, “You should rest. I will be back with your lunch.”

Jina walked back to the door when she felt a hand on her arm. She turned around to see Mark and she looked at the floor. Mark said, “Please, Jina. What are you not telling me? Who is the man?”

Jina bit her bottom lip and said, “I’m sorry, Yi Eun, but I cannot tell you.”

Jina turned and walked out of the room and locked the door. Mark was confused with Jina. She is a friend, but she’s also very secretive.

Mark sighed and walked back to the bed and laid down on the velvet cover and fluffy pillows and looked up at the ceiling. It looked like a dome from a church, but it was actually an illusion. He sighed and closed his eyes, as seeing he hasn’t had much sleep since he was in the freezer room. He fell asleep instantly.

 

To be continued…

 

Author’s Note:

Sorry, it’s been a while since I last posted a chapter. Been busy with work, and helping my mom to take the Christmas decorations down.

What did you think of this chapter?

Well, now you know what has happened to Mark. It’s been a few chapters before I mentioned anything about Mark. He’s been MIA for a while. Now you know he was kidnapped and stuck in a freezer room. So, what’s the reason Zico decided to put him in a room? Hmmm…something smells fishy.

Mark didn’t want to give up Jackson. It was nice that he didn’t say anything, but he could’ve lost his life because he kept quiet.

I don’t think there is a thing called sibling telepathy. I know there is twin telepathy. I’ve heard about twins being able to finish each other’s sentences, and they can feel when each other gets hurt, but I made up the sibling telepathy.

So, now you know that Joonhong is an android. Yes, I still wanted B.A.P to be almost like aliens. Remember this IS in the future.

So, basically the man who asked Mark about Jackson wasn’t from Block B, and Jina doesn’t want to say who it was. Does it sound like the Federation?

Also, what did you think of me describing the bedroom? I LOVE to describe things and I wanted you to “see” the bedroom.

Anyway, if you like the chapter or story please:

 

                                            SUBSCRIBE…COMMENT…UPVOTE!!!