Mark Tuan

You Make Me Begin
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mark Tuan has spent almost his life in a jail. Since he remembers, his life has always been like that. He knows what he is: he is a werewolf, and probably dangerous to normal people. That’s why he has been locked on a jail, some people freeing him only to do medical analysis to him and some other things Mark doesn’t want to know what they were. When he was 19 the company who enclosed him hired him as their personal debt collector. Since he was a kid, he has been taught how to fight, and with all the years of practice he gained agility and strength. He sometimes had to use violence to collect the debt, and at first he didn’t mind; he had suffered a lot and it kind of make him happy to see others suffering. When some years passed, he felt awful by doing that. When he was 24, he asked for another job, and the head of the company agreed of giving him a simple job at the office. The company was a secret agency that was studying the werewolves’ issue. Mark was only a subject of experiments. When he realized, he wanted to give up on life. And then it happened.

He met the most wonderful person in the world, in Mark’s opinion. At first, Mark didn’t want to talk to him, but the guy was so clingy that he ended telling him everything. And the boy, instead of be afraid of him, held him in his arms while saying beautiful things to him. Since that day, they became inseparable and Mark never thought of giving up on life again. He had a very good reason to stay alive. He was now waking up happy, because at the office he would be able to see and spend time with his best and only friend. The boy was a criminologist; and he knew everything about werewolves and also about Mark. And that’s what Mark valued the most about his friend: that even knowing what he is, he wanted to be by his side. He felt loved. The boy told him one day that he also was special; he has psychic powers. Mark felt so happy that his friend trusted him so much to tell him something like that. Mark understood him too well. At that point they felt like they definitely knew everything about it each other and were so close friends.

A year later, he is on his spot waiting for his friend to come. Mark only needs his smile to feel full and warm again, and sometimes that feeling scares him, but he lets it be. He’s happy with what he has, so he doesn’t care about the butterflies on his stomach he feels when he sees the younger.

A girl approaches him and tells that his boss wants to talk with him. She guides him into the boss’ office and leaves the two alone. His boss salutes him and offers a chair to Mark. Mark sits and looks at him, worried about the news.

“I have good news for you, Mark” he says, making Mark relax a bit, but he keeps serious. Since the morning he has been having such a bad feeling about the day.

“Tell me” Mark says.

“We’ve finally found the place where the packs meet. We want you to go there and get information about it”. Mark stares at him, wondering why that is supposed to be good news. Maybe is because finally Mark would be able to meet people like him, even know what a pack truly is. He knows a bit about it, but the things he had had in his life are very different of the feeling of being a pack. He can only feel it when he is with his best friend.

Mark finally nods and the boss smiles at him, not happy but satisfied with the answer.

“Good. You’re leaving now, you need to prepare yourself for whatever happens in there and go there the sooner as possible”.

His boss stands up, pointing at him to leave the room. Mark abruptly stands up too.

“What? Now?” he asks.

“Yes, you have to go now”.

At this point his boss is practically dragging Mark out of his office and taking him to the principal door. When he passes by his spot, he sees his friend is not there yet.

“But I have to see-“

“You can see him tomorrow” his boss cuts him, “don’t get yourself into trouble. Just obtain some information and leave before you became suspect”.

Mark nods, defeated. He has to leave without telling his friend, because for him, every new technology is forbidden. His boss goodbyes at him and he gets into a car that will drop him near the place to not generate suspicion.

When they arrive there, he gets out of the car. He just walks until he finds the bar, and continues walking until its dark and people start going there. He tries to encourage himself because he has no idea how he’s going to get information in there. He finally enters in. The place smells a lot like alcohol, and Mark has to breathe heavily to catch fresh air. He searches for something that could give him a hint of how to obtain information. Then he sees it: two people fighting while other people surrounds them and cheers. When the battle is over, he sees the winner talking to other man, and he picks some money from his pocket and gives it to the winner with an angry expression.

Mark catches the hint, and looks for someone to beat. He knows he is strong and has the chance to win; however, he has never fought against one of his kind. When he sees a thin guy, he starts walking to him to challenge him, but then someone bumps into him.

“Sorry” the male with reddish brown hair says. Mark wants to reply that everything is okay, but he decides to take the chance.

“Look where you put your feet, you idiot” he says roughly. The other frowns, and then the male with striking red hair besides him approach him with an angry face.

“What the hell do you think you are?” the guy says.

“And you, who you think you are? Just a kid” Mark says, he doesn’t like to say things like that to other people, less when is nice people like these guys seem to be.

The male with striking red hair grabs Mark by his jacket collar and gives him a little push. He’s about to yell at him when the other guy takes him by the arm.

“Yugyeom, stop. I can handle this” he says, and the called Yugyeom frees Mark, still angry.

“Look,” the guy continues, “I really don’t want to get myself into trouble, but today I’m not in the mood and you have annoyed my friend, so if you came here to have a fight, you succeeded”. And without advice, he takes Mark by his arm and drags him to the fighting spot, freeing him with a little push.

Mark tosses his jacket of, showing how well built is. Like if this is going to scare him. The boy really looks strong, more now he is visibly angry. The guy just prepares himself, and Mark takes the same position. On the inside, he’s very frightened. Maybe this is the bad feeling I had this morning. Mark can’t think more because the boy gives him a punch, and Mark luckily avoids it. He tries to counterattack, but his fist is stopped by the other guy and gives Mark a punch in the face.

I can still win.

Mark wobbles a bit before recomposing himself. He kicks the guy’s leg and he falls on his knee, so Mark tries to kick him in the head, but the guy takes his leg before it reaches his head and smacks Mark on the ground. With a quick jump both boys are again standing up fronting each other.

The guy jumps to him and Mark dodges him rolling on the ground. He stands up quickly but the other throws him a punch on the chest he can’t avoid. Mark is hit hard and his chest hurts a lot. He still tries to hit the other guy but it’s too late, the boy makes him fall by kicking his leg.

I can’t win.

While Mark is still on his knees, the boy gives him a poke on the back of his head. Mark finally falls into the ground, unconscious.

 

Jaebum breathes heavily. It was a short fight, but one of the most intense he has ever had. He stares at the blonde boy lying on the ground. He has a bad feeling about him. The feeling only gets harder when the time passes and nobody comes to help the boy. He looks everywhere, anxious. If nobody helps him, he can die. He decides he has to do something; in the end, it’s in part his fault.

He sees Yugyeom approaching him. He takes Mark from the ground and carries him. Yugyeom looks at him confused, but quickly he walks before him opening the way for him. They come out and Jaebum puts Mark on the back seat, siting himself beside the blonde boy. Yugyeom sits on the driver’s seat and turns on the engine.

They are driving fast to their house. They keep silent, Jaebum trying to heal some of the bruises Mark has and stopping the blood that comes from Mark’s nose.

“Why?” Yugyeom suddenly asks. Jaebum looks at him while pressing some tissues on Mark’s nose.

“I couldn’t let him die” he answers. Yugyeom just nods, understanding. He knew before asking, he was just trying to erase the tension

Please log in to read the full chapter