Jeon Shura

You Make Me Begin
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jeon Shura hates being controlled, especially by people she utterly dislikes.

That’s one of the reasons why she didn’t want to join a pack, because she doesn’t like receiving orders and people commanding her and telling her what she can do and what not.

However, she never felt like that in Namjoon’s pack. Under Namjoon’s leadership she was really happy, she felt as if she had found a new place she could call home. She never felt as if Namjoon was a though leader; he seemed more like a friend than a leader itself. The pack felt more like a family than just a place for homeless people like her. She has friends there and she also found a missing member of her family: the little brother she always wanted to have.

But now everything has been ruined thanks to Jeonghan and his pack. Shura can’t forgive the other for everything he has done to her friends. First Jaebum and Yugyeom and then Youngjae too. And now the entire pack is ruined, her friends are in pain and her leader is dead.

Or isn’t he?

Shura wants to believe Bonnie when she said Namjoon was alive. Who can know better than his own mate if he’s alive or not? But the fact that Namjoon’s heart is motionless is a big conflict.

Shura goes out from her house to run for a while through the forest. She needs that little bit of freedom more than ever. It’s still early in the morning so probably nobody would mind if she escapes for a while.

She rolls her eyes at her own stupidity as she sees a group of Sewon’s fellows blocking her way towards the forest.

“Hey pretty” one of the guys says, “where are you going alone so early in the morning?”

“I’m going for a run” she answers bitterly, “or is it also forbidden now?”

“No, it isn’t” the same guy answers, “but you can’t go alone”.

Shura glares at him. Of course it couldn’t have been that easy.

“I can take care of myself, thank you” she says firmly.

“We know” another one of the boys says, taking a step closer to her, “but who knows what could you be actually doing out there? I’m afraid you can’t go there alone”.

Shura is about to jump on the guy and bite him when a strong hand pulls her away from the boy.

“She’s with me” Yugyeom says, pulling Shura behind him and shielding her from the other boys with his body.

Shura sees the first boy glaring at Yugyeom with Yugyeom glaring back at him, both guys engaged in a glaring contest.

“And why would you think we are going to allow both of you to go out there?” the boy asks.

“Your beloved leader gave me permission to keep my position” Yugyeom answers calmly, “so I’m pretty much allowed to go there. Besides you have men all around so we wouldn’t be able to run away from the pack even if we wanted to”.

“He’s right” the second guy says. “Let them go. They can’t escape anyways”.

Yugyeom takes Shura’s hand in his and leads them pass the boys, bumping his shoulder against the other boy before going away. Shura glares at all of them before turning to the front to follow Yugyeom.

“Thanks” Shura says when they have walked a few meters away from them.

“It’s nothing” Yugyeom answers, “It’s the least I could do since I’m still able to patrol the forest”.

They both walk hand in hand for a while until they decide to stop and sit on a low branch.

“This situation ” Shura mutters then, bouncing her feet in the air.

Yugyeom looks at her and nods, agreeing completely.

“I still can’t believe all of this is happening” Yugyeom mutters while looking at the sky. Shura turns to look at him, noticing that the other wants to say more. “First, I find out that my dad is still alive but it’s convinced that Jeonghan is a savior and doesn’t want to leave his side not even for his own son”.

Shura bites her lip. She knows it’s not her fault that Yugyeom’s father refused to go with his son, but she can’t help but feel a bit sad that she got to be reunited with her actual family and Yugyeom couldn’t.

“Then when everything was going so well for all of us Jinyoung and Youngjae got kidnapped” Yugyeom continues. “And I couldn’t help Jaebum. He has always been so attentive to me, so caring… I really wanted something good for him, and I thought he could be finally happy with Youngjae. But that went wrong too. Jinyoung was still missing when Youngjae went missing again. And it was freaking Jeonghan who took him”.

Shura nods slightly. She’s also mad all that happened to her friends. Everything was good until Jeonghan had to come in the picture.

“And just when we’re reunited again Mark and Jinyoung argue, Youngjae is forced to forget Jaebum and now Namjoon is dead” Yugyeom finishes.

Silence falls upon them. Yugyeom is still looking at the sky but his eyes shine with anger and his fists are clenched. Shura stares at him, feeling ashamed that she can’t do anything to help Yugyeom, a person she has learnt to love and that she’s sure she can no longer live within.

“And the worst part is that we can’t do anything to solve it” Yugyeom mutters after.

Shura’s head rises violently as she hears Yugyeom’s defeated tone. They have to keep fighting. There’s always a way, they just have to find it. But it’s difficult to keep fighting when there’s no hope.

“Maybe that’s the problem” Shura suddenly says, startling Yugyeom a bit. “We think we can’t do anything, so we just sit here and look what’s happening in front of us. I always thought that words were enough for people to understand each other, but they are no longer working. We have to do something. As little as it can be, it will count for something”.

Shura climbs off the branch as she finishes. Yugyeom looks confused at her.

“Where are you going?” he asks when he sees her walking away.

“To do something” she answers before disappearing through the woods.

 

The sound of the door being opened and then closed alerts Bonnie of the presence of another person at the nursery. She stands up from the desk and approaches Shura, who has stopped to stand beside Namjoon’s body lying on a stretcher.

“You said he’s still alive” Shura says before Bonnie can ask what is she doing there, “so how do we get him back?”

Bonnie can’t help but smile as finally one of her friends believes her.

“I don’t know” Bonnie answers. “I’ve cleaned his wounds, but neither of them could have provoked his death. I also did blood tests, and I’ve found something strange in them but I can’t decipher what it is”.

Shura nods, scanning with her eyes Namjoon’s body. She understands that Namjoon was poisoned with an unknown substance that has caused his heart to stop beating.

“If only Jinyoung was here maybe he could find out what that thing is” Bonnie continues, “but now we don’t have a way to communicate with him”.

“Maybe I can sneak out and find him” Shura suggests.

“That’s pretty dangerous, Shura. Sewon has put a decent amount of his fellows controlling the territory”.

“Then I’ll go to him and I’ll beg to him or something”.

Bonnie is about to refuse again when they hear a third voice irrupting in their conversation.

“That won’t be necessary”.

Both girls turn to look at the owner of the voice, even though they have recognized him perfectly.

“Jinyoung!” Shura shouts as she rushes to hug the other.

“What are you doing here?” Bonnie asks him.

“Well, I felt something off with the pack” Jinyoung answers accepting Shura’s embrace. “So I came to check what was wrong, but as soon as I put a feet here an unfamiliar man popped out from nowhere and told me that now this territory is Kim Sewon’s property. I didn’t believe him so I asked to meet Namjoon and he informed me he’s dead. Then I asked him to show me his dead body and he told me to come here. He also not very kindly told me that if I come inside the pack I can’t go out again”.

Jinyoung takes a few steps closer towards Namjoon’s body, staring at it from head to toes.

“Is he really dead?” Jinyoung asks Bonnie.

“I’m sure he isn’t” the girl says, “I can feel him. He’s still alive, but we don’t know how to wake him up. I’ve found a strange substance in his blood but I can’t decipher what it is”.

“Maybe I can scan him” Jinyoung says, “I’ve been discovering new sides of my powers so it may work”.

Bonnie nods and then she and Shura leave space for Jinyoung to do it. Jinyoung puts his hands on Namjoon’s chest and closes his eyes, focusing on Namjoon’s body.

The rooms falls silent for a while until Jinyoung’s eyes pop open suddenly and he retrieves his hands from their previous position.

“I’ve also felt something weird in his body” Jinyoung says, “but it somehow feels familiar. I don’t know what it could be though”.

“If you’re able to do this, could you also be able to reanimate his heart?” Shura asks.

“That is a whole new level” Jinyoung answers. “I don’t know if I could be able to do it”.

“I think that’s a pretty good idea in fact” Bonnie says. “If we could make his heart beat again maybe he would wake up”.

“But I’ve never done that before” Jinyoung argues.

“Then it’s the time to try it” Shura says.

“I can’t. What if I only worsen it and Namjoon actually dies? Bonnie would die too”.

The three of them duck their heads, thinking of a solution for the problem at hand.

“Then try it on me” Shura says then, staring deep into Jinyoung’s eyes.

“Shura, don’t” he says. “If anything goes bad you could end dead”.

“As much as I want Namjoon back I can’t allow you to do it” Bonnie argues, “and he wouldn’t want that too”.

“But what other option do we actually have?” Shura asks determinate. “We can’t test it directly on Namjoon. We need a subject, and I’m volunteering for it”.

“We’ll find another way” Jinyoung mutters.

“There isn’t another way” Shura argues. “If we don’t do this we won’t know if it works. And we need Namjoon back. He’s my leader and I don’t want anyone else in his position. Namjoon has done so much for me and my friends and I own him so much for it. So please let me do this for him”.

Bonnie and Jinyoung look at each other, wondering what to say to make Shura leave the idea.

“But what about Youngjae?” Jinyoung asks. “Do you think he’ll agree with this? And Jungkook? What will happen to them if you die?”

“And Yugyeom” Bonnie adds. “You aren’t mated but your bond is strong already. If anything happens to you he will suffer”.

“How can you know that?” Shura asks a bit bothered.

“He was the one who cut your face back then, wasn’t he?” Bonnie asks. “It didn’t heal after a while. If your bond wasn’t strong it would have disappeared sooner”.

“I have something to say about that too” Jinyoung says. “I saw that cut the day we met and I used my powers to cure it”.

“See?” Bonnie continues. “If Jinyoung wouldn’t have healed it maybe you could still have it”.

“But he isn’t going to die if I do, is he?” Shura asks then, shutting the other two. “I’m the only option left”.

“I’m not going to do it” Jinyoung refuses again.

“Listen, Jinyoung” Shura says seriously, “I wouldn’t have volunteered to do it if I wasn’t sure you’re able to do it. I trust you and your powers. I’m sure you can do it”.

“Still it’s a huge deal and I won’t risk your life. Seriously, think about the others. Do you think they would allow you to do that? Not even Namjoon would allow it”.

“It’s because I’m thinking of them that I want to do this. The pack needs Namjoon. If I can do something to help him then I’m going to do it. Do you really believe I’m not thinking about the others? Of course I am. I think about my brother, about Youngjae, Jaebum, Mark… and also Yugyeom. Tell me Jinyoung, isn’t Mark the reason you’re back?”

Jinyoung flinches and scratches the back of his neck.

“Well, yes” he says. “But it’s different”.

“Why is it different?” Shura continues. “You came back because you want to help Mark. I’m doing this because I want to help my friends too. You understand that, right Jinyoung?” Jinyoung doesn’t say anything as he has run out of arguments. “So please let me do this”.

Jinyoung stares back and forth between Bonnie and Shura. Bonnie also doesn’t know what to say to make Shura drop the idea. They don’t have another option but allow her to do it.

“Okay, I’ll do it” Jinyoung says after a sigh. “But I need Youngjae with me. When we are together we are more powerful. With Bonnie’s and Youngjae’s power would be enough to succeed. But I would only agree to this if Youngjae also agrees. If Youngjae refuses then I won’t do it”.

“It’s fine with me” Shura says with a smile. “I’ll go get him”.

 

Youngjae closes his laptop as soon as he hears the door being opened. He was watching his video again, wondering about the entire Jaebum issue and still asking himself why he almost kissed Jaebum yesterday.

Shura greets him with a smile and he smiles back.

“Are you busy?” she asks while taking a seat beside him.

“No, I’m not” Youngjae answers.

“Well, I have something to ask you but before I have to tell you something”.

Youngjae tilts cutely his head, waiting for his best friend to start speaking.

“We lied about Jaebum” she says.

“I know, he confessed everything yesterday”.

“No, Youngjae. What I mean is that we lied to you about your relationship with Jaebum. You two weren’t just friends. There was more going between both of you”.

“What you’re telling me” Youngjae says, sighing because finally someone is being sincere with him, “is that Jaebum and I were together?”

“You weren’t together exactly but you both were in love with each other” Shura answers, “well, Jaebum still is. I’m sorry we lied to you. Jaebum asked us to do it because he didn’t want to pressure you to like him again or something. He wanted you to make your own decisions. But you deserve to know the truth. And the truth is that you loved him deeply. I know he did badly to you and he hurt you, but he loves you the most, Youngjae. He would do anything for you. I know everything about you two and I can assure you that I wouldn’t want anyone else with you but Jaebum. He treasures you deeply”.

Youngjae ducks his head and bites his lip, thinking about how Shura’s words are the same his other self wrote at the video.

“Youngjae” Shura says, making him stare at her again. “I won’t force you to love him again. But please, give him another chance. It doesn’t have to be right now. Maybe after a time you will remember your feelings for him. Or maybe you won’t, and then I will accept it. But Jaebum is a nice guy. He won’t hurt you again”.

“Shura” Youngjae says, “this isn’t something easy for me. So much is happening right now and I keep having these… hallucinations. Or maybe they aren’t hallucinations at all but my memories coming back to me. But my he

Please log in to read the full chapter