Please Stay

Unplanned [completed]

The doctors walked away from the curtain, and took off their masks. Gerald didn't know what he would do if something happened to her or her baby. For the millionth time, he covered his mouth, trying his hardest not to scream. "What's happening?"

Dr. Lee sighed. "I'm sorry. Threre was too much blood and the oxygen supply to the baby was severely compromised. We did everything we could, but the baby was too far along, and she didn't make it."

He could feel his heart slow down to a speed in which he though it would stop. Marissa put a hand on his arm. "And what about Kim? What was this doing to Kim?" His voice broke.

"She's strong and young. She's stable now, and I have no doubts she'll come out of this," She replied. "If you'd like, you can go inside but only for a little bit. They're going to have to take them out into a separate rooms."

Gerald looked to Marissa for permission. She nodded, tears slowly making their way down. Kim might've not been her favourite person, but this was something she would never wish for upon anyone. Gerald went through the doors and immediately saw Kim's unknowing, fragile body. She had an oxygen mask, and her heart beat was stable, but not for long. Once she found out, she knew that her strong, beautiful heart would no longer be.

The baby was in a cubicle. She didn't look dead, she looked peaceful, almost like she was sleeping. Even his eyes were fooling him, thinking he saw her tiny chest breathe in oxygen. His eyes were beginning to blur and he could feel himself hyperventilating. Ysabelle. She was holding Ysabelle Anderson, a name they decided on together. He took that little child into his arms and held her close to his body. He brought her head against his lips, something he knew Kim would want to do, but would never get the chance.

The nurses held out their hands and removed the child from his arms. Gerald walked out, feeling a piece of his heart left behind. Marissa walked up to him and hugged him tight. "I'm so sorry."

"Let me go! That's my child in there!" They could hear Michael's voice reverberating in the halls. "Kim?! Kim!" He called out.

When he came into view, Gerald stopped him from entering. "I want to see my daughter!" He pleaded.

Gerald grabbed hold of his collar and looked him in the eyes with his tired ones. "Mike, don't go in there." He said. "Don't!" Shaking his head was making it even more difficult. "Don't." He whispered.

Marissa took over holding Michael as he wept. Despite the fact that Michael may be the biological of Kim's baby, his pain didn't compare to Gerald's. He watched her grow everyday for nine months, read to her, even sang to her. Gerald felt her move, felt her kick.

He watched the doctors bring Kim outside of the OR and into a private room. "Where are they taking her? Can I see her?"�

"I think she'd like that. Follow me." Gerald did just that into a room on the fourth floor. The steady beeping of the machine was the only thing that reminded him this was really happening. With one hand, he was holding her hand tightly in his own, and the other was her hair back on her head. "I'm so sorry," he whispered, not knowing what else to say. "Kim, I'm so sorry. I don't know if you know, or if you somehow felt her sprirt leave," his voice wavered. "Or maybe dreamed she was born. You can't die, Kim. You have to live because she'd want that. She'd want her mother..." He put his forehead on her hand.

The beeping of the machine began to quicken, and then evolved into a flat line. His head flew up and eyes opened into fear. "Kim?! Don't do this, Kim! Kim come on! Kim come back to me!" He shot up from his chair and ran outside, "I NEED HELP! She's coding! Please, help her!"

A crew of doctors ran inside the room, minutes after they left. "What happened?! What happened!?" Michael yelled.

"I don't know. Her blood pressure went through the roof," he answered. He looked the length of the hall, and saw Lilly walking towards them. "Get the her the hell away from Kim! Get her out of here!" He yelled.

"Gerald, I..." She started.

He shot forward, but Michael stopped him. "You're the reason she's in there, you're the reason your daughter almost died!" He too a deep breath and pushed Michael off of him. "How could you have done that?! How could you have possibly been fighting with your daugher while she's pregnant like you didn't care!"

"You don't think I care about her? I wanted what was best. I have another daughter in here who needed her big sister's help and you heard her, she agreed on donating her stem cells!" Lilly defended.

"All I heard was you yelling at her! And now she lost her baby. You killed your grandchild!"

The doctor walked out and pushed Gerald back. "Okay, that's enough! You two, if you want to turn this into a bar fight, I suggest you take it outside because this is a hospital. And if you don't care, than maybe you should think about Kim. She can't wake up hearing this, she needs everyone here to be strong. Now one of you, one of you needs to leave if you're going to fight."

Gerald walked back into the hospital room abandoning the situation. The monitors were now back on track, and Kim no longer had the oxygen mask, but two tubes in her nose. She had IVs put into her arms. He couldn't get over at how pale she was. Her face was completely drained of blood and her hand was so cold when he touched it. With two hands, he covered her hands as if he could warm them with his touch. He took a seat and kissed her hand. "Kim?" His crack voice started.

There was no response or movement. “I don’t know if you can hear me, or if you felt what just happened. You almost slipped away from me. I don’t know what it’s like to slip away and then come back, but maybe you just feel like you’re in an never ending hallway trying to get to the other side. Maybe you get a choice. Like you get to choose if you want to leave or if you want to stay. And I know that when you find out, you’ll probably want to choose to leave, but I’m asking you, Kim. I need you to stay because I need you here. I need you to be stay here with me.”

He stayed in there all night, just watching her chest slowly move up and down. He kept replaying the last couple of days in his head. If he was back home, he’d be reading both of them a story, Beauty and the Beast seemed to be her favourite; she’d always feel multiply kicks during the dancing scene in the end.

Two weeks. That’s it. Two weeks, and she would’ve been out. She would’ve been there next to them, being in their arms; crying, laughing. Two weeks and they would’ve been a family.

“Gerald?” Her voice was week and quiet, but it shook him. “Ge?”

He jumped to the seat beside her and saw her eyes flutter open. “I’m here. I’m right here, Kim.” He took her hand.

“Ge, what happened?” Her voice was groggy.

“Just take it easy, Kim. You’re in the hospital,” he whispered.

Her attention was taken at a crying baby in the hall. She smiled, “Is that her? Is that Ysa?” She asked.

Gerald looked down. He didn’t think about how hard it’d be to actually tell her. But it needed to be him. He needed to be the one to tell her. “That’s not Ysabelle, Kim.”

She looked confused, “How did you know? You didn’t even turn around.” The lack of eye contact was enough. “Gerald, I want to see Ysabelle.” The monitor beside her grew faster. “Ge, what happened? Please, I want to see her! Gerald, I want to see my baby!”

“She’s gone, Kim,” it barely came out as a whisper.

Kim shook her head, “No. No! No!!” She screamed, sitting up. “No! I’m going to see my baby!”

He put his arms around her, and felt her try to punch her way out. “Let me go! I want to see my baby!”

“Kim, she was still born,” he said, trying to hold her down, trying to calm her before she was forced down.

“No, Gerald! Please, I want to see my baby! I just want to hold her,” she pleaded. “I just want to see her. Please, Gerald, let me see my daughter.” Kim finally was relaxed onto the bed, knowing this was battle she wasn’t going to win.

Gerald looked at her with pain-stricken eyes. “Kim, you had a condition and the doctors did everything they could.”

She sat up again, “I’m going to find her. You’re lying for Michael, aren’t you?”

“Please!” Gerald yelled, grabbing her hands, “Please, don’t do this.”

“You’re lying for Michael, aren’t you? You never wanted to help me, did you?” She pushed his off, but he grabbed her again. “You were waiting until my baby was born so you could her to Michael. Don’t let them take away my baby! Gerald, please! I thought you cared about me.” She pleaded.

“I do, Kim. I do care about, and I loved this baby. And it kills me to say this, but she’s gone. She’s gone.”

“Gerald, if you ever cared about, if you were ever my friend, please, let me see my baby!” She could feel herself already get tired, her body aching.

Gerald shook his head, “Kim! Please, they’re going to come in here. You need to calm down!”

“I want to see my baby!” She yelled over and over again.

Just like he predicted, the doctors came into the room, “Sir, you need to step out.” They took out a syringe.

“I’m not leaving her. I’m staying.” He said, squeezing her hand and the back of it with her finger. “Kim, please, calm down, sweetie.” He pleaded.

“I want to see my baby. I want…to see my baby…..I want…to…see…my…” she faded into unconsciousness and Gerald buried his face in her hands sobbing, hating to see her in this much pain, and knowing he couldn’t do anything to save her, after she chose to stay with him.