Definite Catch

Unplanned [completed]

In the middle of the afternoon, Kim was cleaning up all the garbage on the floor of the apartment – tissue paper, shopping bags, tags, and hangers. She was so excited, that she spent the last week buying all sorts of baby clothes, which was much easier now that she knew she was having a little girl.

There was a unexpected knock at the door. She pushed the bags to the corner, next to the door and opened it. She was surprised to see Michael on the other side. “Michael, what are you doing here?”

Michael smiled and invited himself in, which also included a large package box. “Well, I was walking during my lunch break yesterday, and passed by this amazing crib and immediately thought of you.”

She nodded, “So you bought it.” He nodded. “Without calling me, or asking me?” She said.

His smile faded when he realized he wasn’t as excited as she was. “I didn’t think I needed to call you when I wanted to do a good deed.”

Kim walked over to the couch to take a sear, “You should’ve called me first, Michael.”

“A month ago, Gerald told me you didn’t even have the nursery done. So I just thought I’d help you get started. Is it because it’s white? I mean, I think white’s a good neutral color for a crib.” Michael said with a little bit of resentment in his voice.

“That was a month ago. Me and Gerald finished the nursery last week. We have everything ready for Ysabelle. That’s why you should’ve called us.” She answered him.

Michael had an expression like he couldn’t comprehend. “And why didn’t you call me?”

She scoffed, “Because you were away…with your wife. I didn’t think I wanted to disrupt your little romantic vacation because of decision to get the nursery ready.”

“I want to be involved in everything about this pregnancy. That is my daughter, so stop acting like this has anything to do with my wife.”

Kim stood up, raging hormones ready to pounce. “Really? This has everything to do with Marissa!” She exclaimed. “Why do you think I only see you once a month…on a good month! Because of Marissa. Why haven’t you been to any of the Doctor’s appointments? Because of Marissa. And what about not coming to my defense whenever your wife criticizes me? Oh, wait…because your wife’s reputation is much more important than the pregnant mistress, whose child’s life you’d like to be a part of. Let’s face it, Michael, no matter what happens, you are always going to choose your family over ours.”

“Ysabelle will be as much as my child as they are.” He shot back.

Kim scoffed, “Are you kidding? Let’s see, if our Ysa’s piano recital lands on the same day as Jake’s soccer tournament, who’d you choose?”

“Don’t make me choose…”

“Between your children?” She asked. “That’s funny, I thought she was as much your child as they are.” She quoted him. 

Michael shook his head, “Don’t do that. Don’t make me into the bad guy.”

“Right, because you’re such a Saint?” She shot him.

Gerald heard the argument from the hallway, and opened the door to see Kim exasperated and Michael looking tired. “What’s going on here? Are you okay?” Kim nodded, looking away. “Are you guys arguing about the baby?”

Michael looked at Gerald. “You’re not this baby’s father.”

Gerald closed the door, “I never claimed to be, Mike.” They hadn’t had a fight since before he came back, and now he felt one brewing. “But Kim and her baby will be living here, and therefore I have a responsibility to take care of them.”

“Or maybe, you’re just getting a little too close to my child,” he shot back.

“Look, I only want what’s best for this child.”

“You mean my daughter?” The conversation between the two of them was starting to become childish banter.

Gerald shook his head, “No one forgot that she’s your daughter.”

“Look, all I’m saying is that I want to be here for this child. I want to be a part of all the decision-making.”

Kim sighed loudly, “It was a nursery!”

Gerald looked at her, and told her to stop with his eyes. She sat back down on the couch and closed her eyes. “I understand that, Michael. But children become dependent on the adults that are with them. Decision are going to be made around the clock, you know that.”

“And she could come over and ask me.”

Kim had her hands over her head, “Mike, you’re not going to be there when she takes her first step, or says her first word, or gets sick, or needs a ride to a play date because you cannot be there.” She said, looking at him. “You have a wife and kids of your own.”

“How many times do I need to say this? Ysabelle is my daughter.”

“Yeah, but she’s not going to be a part of your family, let’s face it, Mike!” She stood back up hurting her back in the process. “She’s not going to be a priority! She’s going to be the kid you visit when you take time off from Jake and your daughter. We both know there’s a lot more to parenting than just biology, Michael.”

Michael nodded, finally understanding the standpoint of both of them. He looked over to Gerald. “So you’re just going to take my place in my child’s life.”

Gerald tilted his head to the side in disbelief. “I’m just going to be the one who’s going to be here.”

“Gerald is going to be here day in and day out with me and your baby during the time that you’re supposed to be here. And that’s the reality of it, Michael. You can fight it all you want. You can want to be a part of this baby’s life, but there’s always going to be something that’ll stop you. And at some point, you’re going to have to deal with that.”

It seemed that Kim got to him, because he ended up just walking out and slamming the door shut.

Kim stretched out her fingers and saw them shaking. “Oh, gosh,” she sighed. “He just walks in and brings a crib,” she chuckled in a sob. “And expects me to just happily welcome these gifts after weeks of no contact.” Gerald nodded, understanding the crib in the middle of the living room. “Oh God,” she groaned, sitting down.

He ran to her side with concern filling the air. “What is it? Is it time? We don’t have anything ready,” he freaked.

Kim shook her head, “No. I’m okay. It’s just those Braxton hicks contractions. Dr. Lee said they’d be starting soon.” She shook the pain off and her eyes opened wide. “I’m fine.” She laughed at the look on his face. “It’s just so frustrating. He’s the one who wanted this. He’s the one who wanted me to live with you and he’s the one who said he’d come visit. Why is he acting like an obsessed father all of a sudden? What happened to him making his choice of staying with his wife and his family? And I get why he did it, I wanted him to do that.” She rambled.

“Just calm down,” he ordered her. “This isn’t good for the baby.”

She took a deep breath. “I just don’t understand where’s this change is coming from. For the first five months, he acted like he didn’t even want this baby. He would always be in the background,” her voice broke. “He’d stand there while his wife broke me down. And now he’s buying me cribs and wants to be her Dad, wants to be involved. He can’t just do that after months of not caring.”

“It may have something to do with the funeral.” Gerald said.

“What are you talking about? Your grandmother’s funeral?”

Gerald nodded. “After you left, I was angry at Marissa. And I told her to stop tormenting you and provoking you.  I decided to follow you home, and Darling told me to take care of you. I said I was the only doing that. So Michael might just be reacting to that statement.”

Kim laughed. “You came to my defense?”

He chuckled at her reaction. “Don’t think about too much.” He got up, and walked over to the kitchen for a beer.

“Whatever, you like me,” she replied in a sing-sing voice, walking up the stairs.

A couple of hours later, Gerald found Kim in the nursery on the rocking chair, rocking back and forth, back and forth. “A penny for your thoughts?”

“I just keep thinking about Michael. The baby’s coming soon, and I was thinking of how I break it to her. Do I tell her that her father’s too busy for her? Do I tell her she doesn’t have a father? Do I tell her the truth and risk her blaming herself?” Her gaze was still locked on a distant object. “She’ll blame herself anyway. I lived a life with my mother gone. She’d just show up one day and then leave the next. Kids need both their parents. I can always try to be both mother and father in a situation, but who’s going to talk to her about boys? Who’s going to freak out about her first boyfriend? Who’s going to call her daddy’s little girl?” She smiled.

“Her father will,” he said answering her questions, trying to bring the thought of him becoming the dad. “You answered it by telling Michael that parenting is more than biology, Kim. Being a father is about who’s going to make her breakfast in the morning. And who’s going to read her a bedtime story. It’s about the one who helps her to find her shoes in the morning, and who’ll grab her when she has a nightmare. And if you let me, that’ll be me. I’ll be the one who kisses the pain away. I’ll be the one who freaks out when she gets a valentine,” he laughed. “Michael will be the one she goes to when she needs blood, or has something done in a hospital. But I’m going to be here when she comes school.” He took her hand. “We’re going to be here. It doesn’t who her biological father is, Kim. All that matters is that she has a safe home, and she has two people who love her and adore unconditionally. You’re going to be an amazing mother. There is no doubt in my mind that you could do this. Even if I wasn’t here, you could do it by yourself. And if she looks anything like you, she’ll have more people who love her.”

Kim nodded. “You will be the best father anyone can have. And if you keep talking like that…” she chuckled. “You always know the right things to say.” She looked down at her hands, and it was still in his. He was tracing little circles with his thumb, and she was thinking about how that made her feel. The way that he made her feel. She looked up, seeing that he met her gaze also, locking it with his powerful gaze. The brown in his eyes captured her own, and she feel herself drown in him.

It was Gerald who looked away first, breaking the intimate visual contact between both of them. “I think Ysa’s a little tired, from all of your stress and excitement.” He said standing up.

Kim waited until the last moment before letting go. She nodded, the exhaustion overwhelming her. “I guess I’ll call it a night. And I know what you’re going to say,” she said standing up, and touching the crib. “You’re going to tell me to take it easy and stop picking fights, though my hormones are raging and I get angry pretty easily. So save your breath, I get it. Trust me, I’ll do my best to keep my emotions in check.”

Gerald nodded. “Thank you. It would make my job a lot easier.” He couldn’t help himself but stare at her. She was even more beautiful than what he remembered. Pregnancy definitely suited her. “Good night.”

The next afternoon, Michael came back to the apartment, knocking. Kim opened it, and rolled her eyes. “Got a change table behind you?” She asked.

He chuckled. “I just came over to apologize. And as an apology, I got you something.”

She watched him hand over her a folder very carefully. She could feel that this apology was just another way to get his way. She ripped open the seam, and her eyes widened at the words. “You bought me a condo!” She yelled.

“It’s just another penthouse down on 44th. Only a ten minute drive from here. Three bedrooms, and the master’s bedroom – I assumed you’d want that one – has a walk-in closet and the door connecting to the second bedroom. The view is absolutely magnificent. You can sit out there and watch the sun set, and rise,” he described. “Obviously, it’s going to take to move, but I can book off some days and help you. And I guess Gerald would want to.”

“I can’t believe you. You bought me a penthouse in another one of your condo’s you own?” She scoffed. “Do you know how insulting that is?”

“That I want you to have your own place?” He asked.

Kim shook her head, “Five months ago, you practically begged me to move in here with Gerald, when I had my own apartment, which was seven minutes away from you, if you remember.” She reminded him. “And now you’re forcing me out of Gerald’s place because…” Her voice trailed off, realizing where this was coming from. “Oh, this is all about yesterday, and the whole father thing and being involved. You think we’re getting too close, don’t you?”

“Listen, I just think you and Gerald are a bad idea.” He admitted.

“Gerald’s been great. He’s wonderful and making me feel better about myself, and taking care of me. He loves this baby like his own.”

“Don’t you think that the situation is complicated enough without you and the baby living across the hall from me and Marissa? And now you’re reading too much into this living arrangement than Gerald intended.” He said.

She threw the papers aside. “No, Gerald just wants to help! Why is that so threatening to you?”

“Okay. I hurt you,” he said. Kim nodded in complete agreement. “Maybe, you’re looking for some security. Some pay back. I don’t know,” he said. “Maybe getting involved with Gerald…”

“Involved,” she spat out. “There is absolutely nothing going on between me and Gerald!” Except thoughts. “Besides sincere concern for this baby! Our daughter needs a full-time father, and she got one when you made me live with Gerald. And now all of a sudden you’re acting territorial.”

Michael shrugged, “I’m going to give my daughter everything she needs.”

“You can’t! You have Marissa, you have Emma, you have Jake. It’s just a matter of fact that Gerald has much more time on his hands to take care of me and Ysabelle. And he already made it clear that he wants to be in my daughter’s life. I mean, how far are you willing to go keep me and Gerald separated? He wants to be my daughter’s father, he said so last night.” She watched his face stiffen. “And now you’re making me move out of his house because it gets in the way of you and your preferences. You’re willing to do to Gerald?”

“Gerald is like a brother to me. I love him like a brother,” he said to her.

She nodded, “I’ve seen the way you love, Michael. You are devoted and protective until loving someone gets in the way, and then you stop.” She shot back. “What are you scared of? That I’ll put Gerald against you? That he’ll replace you in our daughter’s life? That I’ll try to keep you from your daughter?”

He held up his finger in anger, “First of all, no one is ever going to keep me from my daughter.”

That answered her question. She scoffed. “Do you really think I’d do that?”

“It looks like you’re on your way.” He replied.

“I’m here aren’t I? I’ve followed your rules, I’ve been taking care of this child, and I’ve admitted to myself that this baby was conceived in a time that I was in love with you, and can only pray that you loved me back.” She said. “That’s how I’m going to raise this baby. I want you to be a part of her life. I want you to be there to see all of her first moments, important moments. But I’ve come to a reality check that you won’t always be there. Michael, you have your priorities, and I have mine. Your priorities include of taking care of Emma and Jake and Marissa first. And then it’s me and Ysabelle. But I promised that my daughter will not come second in my life. I am going to be here when she wakes up in the morning, when she cries, when she yells. I’m going to be here when she’s having troubles, when she needs someone to talk to, and when she needs someone to trust and love her back. I’m going to be a mother full-time, all the time first to my daughter; to the same daughter that will come fourth on your list.”

Gerald opened the door, and was in shock when he saw the two of them in the same place they were in beforehand. “What’s going on here?”

“Michael was just saying how he wanted me to move out.” She said, lifting up the papers and handing it over to Gerald.

Gerald skimmed over it, and was overwhelmed with shock. “You bought her her own place? After making her move in with me? What are you trying to do, Michael?”

Michael shrugged, “She doesn’t want to be here anymore. She’s spent the last couple of months complaining.”

Kim laughed, “I complained for the first couple of months, but I’ve moved on.” She moved her attention over to Gerald. “Michael’s threatened because he thinks you’re going to replace him as a father, and so by buying me a new place and making me move out, he’s claiming his territory, making sure that his best friend who he loves as a brother doesn’t get in the way and become an enemy.” She turned to Michael, “I think I covered all the basics, don’t you think.”

“Kim, can you leave me and Michael for a little bit?” He asked politely.

She nodded and made her way out But before doing so, she turned to face the men before her. “Don’t kill each other, please. This baby needs at least one father.”

“What the hell are you doing?” Gerald snapped when Kim shut the door.

“What am I doing? What are you doing, telling her you want to be the father of her child? You’re lucky I’m not wringing your neck right now.” Michael said.

Gerald sighed, and took off his jacket, throwing it over the leather chair beside him. “I only told her because she was scared. Last night, she was thinking about how she was going to tell her daughter the truth. I just offered to be there for her and her baby. I told her that whenever her daughter needed anybody, I’d be there too. I offered my help, my presence and my guidance. That’s it. No one can replace you in her life, Michael. You are taking this way out of control.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. When my pregnant mistress says that my best friend wants to be a father to my child, I shouldn’t become all territorial, should I?” He said with sarcasm.

“When are you going to get it through your head? Kim is not your property. She is not territory for you to claim. You have kids and a wife, Michael. Do you know how much it hurts her to think that you’re playing games with your kids? Or that you go home and kiss your wife hello and goodbye? Or that you make love with your wife, the woman you love?” He interrogated. “It kills her inside, and then it kills her all over again when she realizes that her baby is not going to get that same reaction from the one who fathered her child.” He said. “I am not going to apologize for offering Kim my help. I’ve been here watching that baby grow, for taking care of both Kim and her child. For most people, I am going to be that little girl’s dad. But no one can ever replace her father, Michael. And this paper, this asking her to move out is not getting you anywhere. It’s only going to get her angry, which will only make her push you away further away, and God forbid anything happen to that little girl because you are causing her so much pain. So let me give you some advice – back off of her. Stop forcing her to believe that you’re going to be there for her child, because you’re only setting her up for disappointment.”

Kim arrived back home and found Gerald putting his jacket back on. “I’m going to assume that Michael isn’t dead, or his body would be left here.” She laughed. “Unless you’re fleeing the country to save your .”

“Ha…ha…ha. Get your jacket on, we’re going out to dinner.” He threw her a sweater, and got his keys. She obeyed and followed him.

It was a nice little restaurant he drove her too. The ones where you need a reservation, but because Gerald seemed to be an old veteran in his hometown, the waiter escorted them to a table immediately after walking in. “And why have brought me to diners all this time, when we could get the King’s special in a place like this?” She asked, reading the menu. Gerald answered her with a smile.

Their entrées were set in front of them. “Wow, I don’t think I’ve salivated like that in a really long time.” She laughed staring at all the food.

Gerald laughed, “Too much information.”

The waitress leaned down to set the wine on the table, exposing a little bit more than Kim would’ve liked. “Can I get you anything else, Mr Anderson?” Her voice was high and pitchy, like an ex-stripper. Her cleavage also screamed that prior occupation. And the fact that she had no concern for the pregnant woman with Mr. Anderson was insulting, yet understandable.

“We’re fine, thank you.” The woman nodded and walked away. Gerald looked over at Kim who had her eyebrows dancing at the top of her head. “What?”

She smiled, “What do you mean, what? That girl was trying to hit on you. Don’t tell me you didn’t realize that.”

“You’re ridiculous. She’s nice because she wants a good tip.”

“She’s nice because she wants you.” Gerald shook his head. “Oh come on! I’m pregnant and sitting with you at a very nice restaurant. I could’ve been your pregnant wife, and still she was exposing her triple-Ds right in front of your face…and mine.” Kim said. “You should get her number.” She took a bite of her salad. Gerald continued to blindly ignore her. “Gerald! You haven’t had female contact in five months that I know of…you can’t let me stand in the way of your game. You deserve someone special.”

Gerald stared at her. “Why won’t you let me worry about my love life?”

“Because you’re always putting me and the baby first.”

“Well, what about if that’s what I want?” He asked, holding out his fork for her to taste his dish.

She diligently accepted it, but didn’t let him distract her. “And what about you wanting some romance? About finding someone whose beautiful and special, someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with?”

“That’s not going to happen.” He answered.

“It might.” She said.  “I mean, you can’t close the door on love.” She watched him look away awkward. “Unless you already have? Have you stopped believing that one day you’ll fall in love?”

“Yeah.” He said flatly. “I don’t like to talk about stuff, you’ve witnessed it first-hand. So it’s just better if I’m not in a relationship right now.”

Kim smiled, “You just haven’t met the right person yet. But you will. You just haven’t opened yourself up.”

“I’m not who some people want me to be. I’m impulsive, and reckless. I’m introverted, hate having to express my feelings. I don’t like PDA, and I know that every girl wants that. So I’m not relationship material, I’m not enough.”

Kim laughed at his description of himself and how different it was from who he really was.  “Come on, Gerald.” She reached across and rested her hand on top of his. “You’re enough. You’re kind, you’re strong, great with kids. Maybe you’re not the best at talking and expressing your feelings – maybe you need a little help. But overall, you’re a definite catch.” She smiled.