Dream

Unplanned [completed]

Kim woke up the next morning feeling happier than happy. She woke up in Gerald’s arms, his lips against her bare shoulder and feeling his body pressed against hers. They held each other the entire night, as if letting go just for one second meant the end. His arms were wrapped around her body, and their legs were intertwined together. She could feel his chest move expand and contract with every breath; feeling his breath on her skin just made her relive last night, and her smile widened impossibly. She didn’t want to move, she didn’t want to ruin anything about this morning. She wanted to stay here forever with the man she knew she loved more than anything.

Another fifteen minutes, and then the bliss changed into something else entirely. Gerald shifted and pulled her unbelievably closer. He yawned and exhaled hard. She giggled at the sudden hot air, and turned around so she was facing him. “Good morning,” she whispered.

He smiled and fluttered his eyes open so he could see her. “Good morning. How’d you sleep?”

She laughed, “You mean the useless hour we had when we could’ve been doing something else?” She pressed her lips against his throat.

He groaned, “One hour of sleep is not enough time to regain my strength,” he said, lying flat on his back.

“You’d think men would be able to go at it like animals,” she teased, hovering over him. “So how was your birthday?” She rested her head on her elbow.

“It didn’t feel like my birthday until after ten. But those last couple hours exceeded all my expectations for all my birthdays put together,” he sighed and looked deep into her eyes. “You’re beautiful.”

“Thank you for the infinitieth time for telling me,” she smiled.

He chuckled, “You are, you know that? I mean, we had no sleep last night, tore this bedroom apart,” he smiled at their clothes - or lack there of - all over the floor, and the bed comforter. “And you still look like an angel.”

“Well, you’re biased.”

“Tell me something about you.” He said. “Tell me something that no one else knows.”

Kim her lips and took a moment to think about it. “I want another baby.”

He moved her so she was off of him and onto the bed. He moved to his side, and now he was hovering over her, watching her. “I want a baby,” she repeated. “Yesterday, I saw Emma and Jake and all the other kids who came and…I’m happy. You made me happy again,” she smiled. “I thought I couldn’t be happy and now I spent the entire night making love to you. But there’s this ache in my heart. I know I can’t get Ysabelle back, but I can have one; another one. I really want another baby, more than I ever thought I would.”

Gerald sighed and looked down at her. “You want a baby.” She nodded. “And as soon as the doctors say its okay, you’re going to have a baby. I promise,” he lowered his head, sealing the promise with a kiss.

Gerald headed back to work for his afternoon shift; Kim on the other hand had a burst of energy to do something. She knocked on the door across the hall and dug her nails into her skin, not knowing what she was doing and hoping Marissa wasn’t home at the same time.

No luck. Marissa was holding Jake on one hip and Emma was throwing her toys to the wall screaming and crying. Marissa stared at Kim with a confused look, “What are you doing here?” She turned her back, “Emma, please stop! Stop crying now!” She yelled.

“Offering help?”

“I’m fine,” Marissa whipped her head back around, “Emma, Mommy said stop now! Or else no dessert for one whole week! Emma!” She continued to yell at the hysterical child. “Can you…” she held Jake who was staring around clueless.

Kim took him into her arms and smiled, “Hi little guy.” Jake returned the smile, and rested his head on her shoulder.

Marissa walked to Emma and grabbed her hand dragging her upstairs to her bedroom, she assumed. “You are going to stay in your room until you’re ready to come out and no dessert for one week, do you understand?”

She returned back downstairs and saw Kim still in doorway. “You could come inside. You’re holding my kid, it’s the least I could do.” Marissa went about the house picking up Emma’s toys and throwing them into a basket underneath the coffee table.

Kim hadn’t been in here, and just noticed the sophistication of the room. It was larger than Gerald’s apartment, but Gerald’s house appeared more ‘homey.’ The furniture all had clean lines and were all black with the same mahogany and white accents. Paintings from famous artists hung all over the wall, and the fireplace was in the centre of the room, across of the family setting -couches and television. It was an opened space with the dining room and kitchen attached with no boundaries, except for the kitchen island and the dining room. Despite the grandeur of everything, she liked simplicity. “Nice place,” she said walking in, and Jake squirming to get out of her grip. Kim set him down where he ran to his little play house in the corner with the rest of the toys.

“Thanks. It’s not exactly the best right now considering…well, as you can see Emma’s taking it well,” she said sarcastically.

“Have you told them?” Kim asked, sitting on the sofa beside Marissa.

“About their father? Emma is intuitive about that. She hears us fighting all the time and assumed we were having problems. She just doesn’t understand why Daddy isn’t home yet; he usually is home the morning after.” Marissa explained.

Kim sighed, “I actually came over because I thought you’d want some company. And because I don’t start work until next month, so I’m bored and Darling left last night to her honeymoon after Gerald’s party.”

“Looks like everyone’s happy but me. Anyways, as you can see, I’m busy trying to keep busy. So…”

“I can keep you company, if you’d like.” She suggested.

Since there was no snappy come back or anything, she decided it was okay. They spent most of the time in the kitchen where Marissa was making lunch. “I’m the first in my family who even thought about getting a divorce. My parents are old fashioned, which means they think every problem could be fixed by a pot of dinner and a rug to sweep everything under.”

“If it means anything, I agree with you. I’m actually surprised you haven’t done it earlier.” Kim admitted.

“And leave him for you?” She scoffed.

Kim laughed, “I wouldn’t have taken him. I’m huge on trust, and honesty. Mike lied, and he did the worst thing possible. Did I love him? Yeah, I did; but I could never live with myself if I was the reason why you broke up. Am I?” She asked.

Marissa shook her head, “No. I mean, you’re partly because, but Mike and I had problems way before you came along. He hated not getting his way, and I’m stubborn. Put that together, and you’re bound to get problems. We’d argue about everything, right down to what time we should eat dinner.” She sighed, and put the dishes in the sink. “Listen, I realize I’ve been in a total to you since you’ve come, and I’m sorry.”

“Well, it’s not like I made it easy for you.” She said. “But the apology does help see you in a better light.” She laughed.

“But that other hickey on your collarbone isn’t helping mine.” Marissa pointed the knife at her. Kim self-consciously covered her neck. “There’s no point, I’ve already seen it. Actually, that’s what I’ve been looking at since you got to my door. I’m assuming you gave him some birthday last night.”

Kim took a seat at the dining table, “Can we not talk about it? I know you still despise me - or at least half of me. You probably don’t want to know about my life.”

“Hey, at least you’re getting some. I’ve talked to Gerald’s other girlfriends, and they say he’s good. Like amazing good, like heavens open and sing good.” Kim laughed at that description. “Is he?”

“Well, I haven’t seen any clouds separating, or angels singing,” Kim answered. “So you and Gerald have never…done the deed? I mean, you’ve been friends for a really long time.”

Marissa poured two glasses of wine, and sat on the chair next to Kim. “Never. The closest I’ve been with Gerald was a kiss on Christmas Eve 1998, it was under a mistletoe, so it was forced. He looks like he’d be good. You really like him.” She observed. “I know I’ve called you a lying tramp and I’ve said you’re madly in love with my soon-to-be ex, but you looks at Gerald differently. Almost reverently.”

She smiled, “I’m crazy about him. I mean, if someone told me I’d feel this way a year ago, I wouldn’t believe him. And a part of the spontaneity is what makes it so much more enjoyable. You know, like back then we’ve already built this sort of foundation, yet we were able to hide things. And now, we’re just starting to get to know each other again. And last night…” She paused, not knowing if she should continue.

“Kim, you’re the closest thing to a friend right now, so keep going.” Marissa assured her.

“Last night was amazing,” she outlined the rim of the glass with her finger. “We didn’t sleep…at all. You know, we made love,” she smiled at the silent memory of his hands and lips all over her. “Over and over again; and then we talked and drank more champagne, and then made love again.”

“Over again?” she chuckled.

Kim nodded. “I know love. I’ve been in love before, but this…it’s more. I have been through hell this past year, but being with him…it doesn’t make it okay, but it makes it bearable again. Like he’s given me a clean slate. It’s more.”

“How so?”

“Ever since I was a child, I had this dream. I’m in a garden with twinkle lights and flowers blooming, all sorts of flowers. I’m in this beautiful gown dancing to music with the man of my dreams. All those years I’ve been dreaming, I could never see the face of this mystery man. And I was okay with it because it was a dream.” Kim closed her and smiled. “But last night, it was real. I could smell the roses in the garden, hear the music coming from the ballroom inside; feel the moonlight on my skin. Last night, I saw the mystery man’s face. I saw Gerald, and I could feel his hands on the small of my back leading through the dance. I could feel his hand in mine, and the stubble on his cheek. Last night, it was the first time I’ve seen his face, and then I woke up in his arms. It’s gotta mean something, right?” Kim asked.

“I think you’re in love. And not that story book love, but that crazy, head over heels, hold that boom box over your head, die for each other love. You’re in love with him. So are you going to tell him? Just so you know, Gerald isn’t a feeling it type of guy. He doesn’t wear his heart on his sleeve.”

Kim smiled, “I don’t think you tell someone you love them because you expect something. I think you tell them because you have something to give. And I have so much.”

“You’re really making it hard to keep hating you,” Marissa drank her wine. “I know Gerald, and I know how he loves. He’s loved me since high school. But if what he feels for you is a fraction of how you feel for him, you’re going to be okay.”

“Then how can I go wrong?”