Month 1

Unplanned [completed]

Gerald came home to a quiet house after working a double shift. The last time he saw Kim was six in the morning and she was still sleeping in the guest room. “Hello?!” He called out, throwing the keys on the table. “Kim!”

He heard furniture moving upstairs and heard something crash onto the floor. "Kim!?" His voice was full of worry and concern.

He opened the door to a whole different room than he remembered when buying the place. "What the hell is going on in here?"

"Oh!" She got up and straightened her tank top and shorts. "I didn't hear you come in."

"But I heard you." He answered. "What are you doing?" He couldn't help but stare at her exposed body. The shorts showed just enough leg to leave a guy craving for more, and her tank top revealed a flat tummy and the perfect amount of cleavage to leave a guy crave for more. It took him a few moments to remind himself that she was pregnant which meant completely off-limits.

She sighed and looked around, proud of her work. "What does it look like I'm doing; I'm moving in. It took me four hours to actually get my entire apartment here," she paused and pointed to her endless amount of suitcases, exposing her unbelievable collection of shoes, clothes, dresses and handbags. "And I started moving everything around three hours ago." She wiped the sweat off with the back of her hand.

"Did anyone help you?" He asked.

Kim shrugged, "Not really. I mean the guy downstairs helped bring everything up here, but then I was on my own. It wasn't that bad."

"Kim, you're pregnant. You can't just start moving heavy things around," he knocked her dresser which was three times the size of her in height and five times her weight. "It could put stress on the fetus and something could go wrong."

She rolled her eyes, "I'm fine. And I needed to keep myself busy. Plus, you and Michael are pushing me into moving in with you, so I might as well start settling in." Kim saw that he still looked annoyed. "Oh," she said, getting his attention. "You're mad because I moved everything. Well, I just didn't understand why you had the dresser behind the door and the desk against the window. Also, the bed against the wall; I'm all for more room, but I'm not eight."

Gerald shook his head, "No, it's fine. I was just thinking how you did all of this alone?"

Kim smiled, "I'm not one who likes to ask for help. If you want it done a certain, who better do it than yourself? Anyways, you caught me at a good time. I was going to get something to eat, I'm starved!" She undid her high updo, and let her hair fall like a tumble of waves.

"You didn't eat, yet?" He followed her out of the room and down the stairs. "Kim!" He scolded.

"Oh, calm down, I ate an apple an hour ago. But lunch was last on my priority list." She saw him glare at her. "The baby didn't complain," she defended, pointing to her stomach. "So, what should we order in? I'm in the mood for Chinese."

Gerald shook his head, "I want Italian."

"Oh," Kim moaned. "I could so go for lasagna and chicken fried dumplings."

He laughed, "Both it is, then."

It’s been three weeks since she officially moved in, and Kim enjoyed it here. Having company made her realize how lonely living alone was. And then she began thinking about after the baby was born. She couldn’t stay here forever with someone who didn’t want to be a father, let alone wanting her there. She’d have to go back, and raise this baby alone. “Can I ask something? Is Michael a good father?”

Gerald put another piece of chicken in his mouth. “What do you mean?”

“Well, did he go to Emma’s recitals? Does he go to Jake’s games? Is he an involved father?”

“That’s a little difficult since Jake is four.”

Kim nodded, laughing. “Right. I just can’t help but wonder what it’d be like. Is Michael going to be there for my baby? Is he going to be a good father, involved? Is Marissa going to be involved,” she laughed at the thought.

He reciprocated her actions. “Don’t forget, you have your first ultrasound tomorrow morning.”

“An ultrasound? Isn’t it a little too early to have an ultrasound?” 

“It’s been six weeks. Marissa had her first ultrasound four weeks after finding out.” He replied. “Aren’t you at least a little bit excited to see the baby?”

Kim stood up and took the take-out boxes to the kitchen. “Not exactly; I mean what will I be able to see on that screen? A tiny dot and the doctor telling me I am definitely pregnant – something I already know?”

“When Marissa saw that ‘little dot,’ her emotions overwhelmed her – and me – and started loving that little girl more that she ever thought she would,” he called out to her.

“Okay, that’s it!” She exclaimed, walking back to the living room. “Stop comparing me to her. I get it, she’s an amazing mother, and loving wife and has every right to be angry; but don’t sit there and start comparing my potential with hers. I am not Marissa. You want proof? I’m not going to have the father of my baby by my side, okay? Michael isn’t going to be there to hold my hand, or tell me how beautiful he or she may be. I’m not going to have that perfect family that every little girl dreams of having. So I am excited this journey alone? No. And I’m sorry if that is totally different than what your precious Marissa would’ve felt if she was in my shoes.”

Kim didn’t want to talk anymore. She ran up the stairs into her newly made bedroom. A nice hot bath would’ve done the trick, but a shower wouldn’t get rid of this baby.

After soaking in a bubble bath for more than an hour, she walked back down and caught Michael in the living room. Her pace slowed down at the sight of him. “Where’s Gerald?” Her tone possessed a particular bitterness to it.

“He went out for some groceries. He asked me to watch you until he came back. He should be any minute now.”

“And how does your wife feel about that? Or should I wait until I’m in a diner and she can make another scene?”

Michael nodded, “Gerald told me about that. I’m sorry; it was wrong for her to do that.”

She came back into view with her second apple of the day. “Can I ask you something? Was it all just a game to you? Being with me? Were you ever going to tell me the truth? That whatever it is we shared was all fake?”

“Kim, do we really have to go through this now?”

“Well when would you prefer it? Before or after I have your baby? You know, it to be the one who everybody blames for this. I’m sure you get the victim speech, and I’m the scapegoat. I mean, hello – you’re the one with the !” She said.

He laughed, “This is just your hormones talking. Look, I’m still the guy who had an affair.”

“And I’m the one who tried to steal you away from your family. Not to mention, your wife calling me a every chance she gets.” Kim took a deep breath. “Listen, I just want to know where we stand with all of this. Are we going to pleasant to each other or are we going to try our best to avoid the past and everything that happened?”

“I think…we need to focus on having a beautiful baby, and we’ll go from there.” He answered.

Gerald opened the door and could feel the tension in the room. “What’s going on here?”

Kim smiled, “Nothing. Michael was just telling me how nothing matters except his illegitimate child.”

The next morning came quickly for Kim, and the soreness of her muscles were heightened when she stretched her limbs. Her neck was stiff, her thighs were tender, and she felt like she gained five pounds with her aggravated stomach. She walked over to the bathroom and bumped into a half- Gerald. “Oh Gosh!” She exclaimed holding up her hands and shielding her eyes. “I thought you were still sleeping!”

He pulled her hands down and smiled. “I realize your hormones are out of wack, but I’m sure you’ve seen shirtless men before.” He walked away into his bedroom laughing.

She replaced him into the bathroom, and still couldn’t believe how organized and modern everything was. One thing she knew for sure, Gerald Anderson had one of the best apartments, and she could get used to living here.

Gerald was already waiting for her down the stairs with a bowl of oatmeal and a large cup of OJ. “What the hell is this?”

“Oatmeal. It’s very healthy.” He replied.

“Yeah, because it takes like . I’m not eating that.” She shot back, getting another apple from his fridge. He stared at her. “It’s the only thing that doesn’t make me feel sick. I mean, look at that; that’s enough to make anyone puke – pregnant or not.”

He smiled at her. “You know, it says that oatmeal is supposed to help with the morning sickness.” He took a large bite from the spoon. “I’m fine after eating it. Now you take a bite.” He held the spoon to .

As childish as it may have seen, she kept closed and shook her head side to side as he chased her with the spoon. Finally, she gave up and took the spoon from his hand, not letting him be the one to feed her. She squinted in disgust. “Okay, I ate it! Let’s go, before it all comes back out!” He grabbed her jacket and followed her outside.

Kim hated hospitals. She hated the smells, she hated the endless white hallways, she hated the atmosphere, and disliked the fact that this would one of her regular stops for the next nine months. They walked together to the main desk. “Hi, I’m Kim Chiu. I have an appointment with Dr. Lee.”

The nurse checked the system and smiled. “Hello, Mrs. Chiu. Yes, Dr. Lee is actually ready for you. She down the hall to the right.” 

Kim smiled and began walking in the direction she was told. She felt Gerald following her and stopped him short of the appropriate door. “You’re not coming in here.”

“Excuse me? Just get inside.” He gently pushed her in, and Dr. Lee was already waiting for them. “Mr. Anderson. Long time no see.”

Kim glanced at both the doctor and Gerald. “Hi Dr. Lee, I’m Kim.

“Oh, hello. Well, first I want to say Congratulations. First on being a mother, of course, and second for scoring Gerald as the father. He’s always been here for Marissa in each of her pregnancy, and has always been involved and interested. I can’t imagine what it’d be like now that he’s the father.”

“No, um…Gerald isn’t the father. Like Marissa,” she glared at him, “He’s here for moral support.”

Dr. Lee nodded apprehensively. “So shall we get started, then?”

The procedure took about then minutes, and the rest was a waiting period for her blood tests. “Well, Kim, everything looks good, the baby looks good. It says here that you recently fell from a flight of stairs? Have you felt any effects since that time and now?” She shook her head. “Good, good. How about any morning sickness?”

“For the past couple of weeks it started. But nothing I can’t handle,” she said.

“And how about your diet? Have you been monitoring the foods you eat – fruits and vegetables, vitamin C-enriched food, milk and dairy products?”

She nodded obediently. “You can thank the patrol officer over here,” she pointed at Gerald behind her.

Dr. Lee smiled. “And you understand the things you should not be taking – no alcohol whatsoever, caffeine, and pills that you might be taking should be approved by me.” Again, Kim smiled and nodded. “Well, excellent, then. Now, you’re scheduled for another appointment in the next six weeks where you’ll be reaching the end of your first trimester and that’s when any signs of the baby will begin to show, and there’ll be more to see in the ultrasounds.”

“Exciting,” she feigned.

“I’ll see you then,” Dr. Lee escorted them out.

They got home, and Kim went straight to the couch, putting her feet on the coffee table and sighed. “This feels so good.”

“Did you want some lunch? I can make you a sandwich.” He offered.

“You do know that men who can cook are extremely y, right? And you go and offer to make me a sandwich? Not even close.”

“Ha…ha…ha,” he pronounced, rather than said. “I didn’t know that I needed to make myself appear y to you.”

She smiled, “It couldn’t hurt. I am abstaining from during this pregnancy. Why can’t I have a little show once in awhile? Keep myself updated on dating.”

“Wasn’t this morning more than a show?” He winked.

A few minutes later he returned with a cup of steeped tea and a sandwich on a plate. “Here,” he placed the sandwich on the table and gave her the tea. “It’s gourmet, y enough for ya?”

“It’ll do.” She smelled his coffee and moaned at the familiar scent. “Can I – Can I just smell your coffee? I haven’t drank coffee in two months, and I miss it like crazy.”

“It probably wouldn’t hurt,” he moved it closer, but she pulled away.

“On the other hand, don’t tempt me to go against the doctor.” She took a sip of her boiling tea and was shocked, “Where did you get peppermint tea?”

Gerald shrugged, “I don’t know. It’s old; Nina bought it.”

The name sounded familiar. She remembered him talking about her a couple of weeks back. “The ex-girlfriend, Nina? As in another one of Michael’s ex-girlfriends from when he was separated from Marissa?”

“That’s the one. She causing them problems which ultimately led to his custody hearing and so I offered my apartment because she was homeless, and that was that.” He felt uncomfortable. “I wanted it to stop before Emma got hurt and her parents hurt her by divorcing.”

The situation sounded familiar. “Is that what you’re doing now?”

“I guess so.” He never really thought about it that way.

“So you’re willing to take responsibility of a child that doesn’t even belong to you to keep Michael and his wife together.”

Being Michael’s best friend and there throughout all their lives, he felt like a second father to Emma and Jake; as if he needed to try his hardest to protect them from danger and pain just as Michael did. They were his kids too. “Emma and Jake need their parents.”

Kim nodded, “And what about my baby, Gerald?”

He thought about it ever since she moved in, just never outwardly said it. “Your baby’s going to need a father too. Michael obviously has other priorities, so…that’s where I step in. I know it’s not the perfect solution,” she agreed with him there. “But I also it can work if we both work together on this.”

“Let’s start with the basics here,” she walked in front of him. “You don’t like me.”

Gerald shrugged, “Eh, you’re not so bad.”

“Well, I don’t like you. I mean, I don’t dislike you, but it just annoys me that you never say what you want and you do everything for everyone else. I mean you do want something, Gerald, don’t you? Fast cars? A bachelor pad, lots of girls and money?”

He sighed and said what she needed to hear. “I want to be your child’s father.” But she wasn’t buying it.

“That is exactly my point. You don’t want that. You want to prevent Emma and Jake’s parents from splitting up.”

“Is that so wrong?”

“It’s a genuine thing to do.”

He looked at her with a serious spark in his eyes. “I happen to know that your baby is going to need me. I mean, how much about kids do you know?”

“Nothing.”

“Kim, I didn’t either, until Emma was born. That’s why Marissa hired a nanny until I got handle on things – changing her diaper, giving her baths; how to reassure her when she was crying, how to get her to sleep, and how to love her. Because I didn’t know until then that kids take all the love you got.”

She smiled, “And you don’t think I can raise my child; you don’t think I can do any of that?”

“You know Kim, I have no doubt that with time you’ll become a great mother. But I’m just trying to tell you that I can provide for your baby. I mean, you sold your apartment, and I’m giving you mine. I can make sure you’re safe and comfortable. And I will do everything I can to make you both happy.”

“It’s the last part that I’m worried, Gerald. I have no doubt in my mind that you’ll be an amazing father one day. And maybe we’re compatible in a weird and opposite’s kind of way. But I will always feel guilty if you take on the role as daddy to my baby. I m stopping your life, and God knows how mad I am about my life being stopped.”

He sighed and took a seat at his desk. “Okay, now you need to calm down and relax and stop thinking about anyone else. Right now, you’re priority is to take care of yourself and your baby. We’ll start worrying about my life later on.” He smiled. “Now back to basics – how’s your room? Is it comfortable enough for you?”

“Yeah,” she answered honestly. “I love it, thank you.”

“Good. Well, that room opens up to a den. I was thinking maybe it can be the nursery.” She nodded. “Money – I’m assuming you already have a bank account and a credit cards. I’ll open some more for you if you need it. Also, cash is always locked in this drawer. I’ll give you a key to it tomorrow.”

“Well, great. At least we’re on the same page here. I needed a dad for my baby and you offered. So thank you.”

“I need to go to work, so I’ll be home later tonight. Can you promise me something?”

“Sure, why not.” She sighed.

“Can you promise me you’ll eat three entire meals and some fruits and vegetables.”

She smiled, “I already had that disgusting oatmeal and now I’ll move on to my y sandwich; so I’d say I have one meal left.”

He chuckled, “And now furniture moving, got that?”

“Done and done.”