Unpleasant Surprise

Unplanned [completed]

There was only one month left in the pregnancy and the doctor advised Kim to stay active and healthy. She continued on going on daily walks, and would stop at the pier to watch the afternoon sun reach its peak in the sky.

An elderly woman pushing a stroller came to seat by Kim. “Do you mind? My ancient legs aren’t as strong as they used to be.”

Kim smiled, “Not at all.” She smiled invitingly. “Boy or girl?” She mentioned towards the stroller.

“Anabelle Marie. My fourth grandchild.” The woman answered.

Gerald came across the pier and stopped when he heard Kim’s voice.

“Wow,” Kim expressed her surprise. “I’m having a girl, too, and I’m so excited.” She rubbed her stomach, enjoying the feel of something moving around in her stomach.

“Well, you better make sure that you and your husband enjoy this time as much as possible because once that little baby comes out, you won’t have time for anything else.” The lady said in a warning tone.

Kim kept her composure and smiled, “Yeah, well, I don’t think that’ll be a problem for me.”

“I take you’re not married.” Kim caught her gaze drop down to her empty finger. And that’s what got her feeling like crawling into a ball and hiding herself. “I understand that it’s the growing trend to have a baby on your own. But a child needs a father, and if you can’t provide one, than maybe you shouldn’t have a baby at all.”

In the background, Gerald didn’t like how the old woman was pestering Kim about relationships and parenthood. He ran down the steps, “There you are.” He said, sitting beside Kim as the lady got up. Gerald put his arm around her back, keeping his focus on Kim. “I’ve been looking all over for you.” He her hair. Kim stared at the lady who was staring back at them. Gerald took his free hand, and took Kim’s left hand, playing with her fingers, his long slender ones intertwining with her swollen hands. “You didn’t lose your ring, did you?”

She looked down trying to make her brain work, not knowing where he came from and how he knew she needed him. Also, trying to remember those lame excuses from soap operas she’d watch. “I…uh…I left it on the…kitchen sink.” She chuckled, “Do you forgive me?”

“Always,” he sighed, kissing the side of her head.

“My apologies, young lady. I jumped to the wrong conclusion,” The woman apologized. “Best of luck to you both.”

Gerald still did not pay attention to the woman, only looking at her. She was so beautiful, he breathed. Were her eyes always so light? And her skin – flawless was an understatement. Pregnancy definitely made her glow. His gaze drifted to her lips which curved into a smile.

“Thank you,” she said.

Gerald smiled also, drowning in her. “No problem.” He stood up and took her hands. “Let’s go for a walk.”

She laughed. “I think that’s what I’ve been doing.”

Gerald let their hands fall to their sides, only to be reunited when he intertwined their fingers. Kim’s breath caught in and looked down at the gesture. He shrugged as he continued on the path. “Just in case you fall or lose balance.”

They probably walked down the path for more than an hour when she needed to stop. “Wait a minute. Hold on.” She let go oh his hand to hold onto her stomach.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, putting his hands on her belly also. “What is that?” He looked at her surprised face. “Is that the baby’s heartbeat?” It felt like a little sound system booming in her body, and the only thing you could feel was the bass.

She chuckled, “No, it’s hiccups.” She answered.

“Hiccups? Is it uncomfortable?” He put his ear against the bulge and laughed at the sounds he heard.

Kim shook her head, “No. Of course not. I’m kind of enjoying it. It’s cool don’t you think? To have a little life inside you, a real tiny body who can move, kick, hiccup?” This time, it was her who grabbed his hand. “You know, the baby always hiccups when she wants ice cream.”

Gerald nodded, “I get it, come on. Let’s go.” He took her to the café where he knew would satisfy her craving.  “You know that the baby is only supposed to be like 7 pounds. How many pounds have you gained during this pregnancy? Just food for thought,” he said, pushing her chair back for her.

“And I can’t believe that you just called me fat,” she said, grabbing the menu from his hand. “And it’s not me who wants to be gaining all this baby weight. I wanted to stay a size five, I was happy being a size five.” She skimmed over the items. “Wow, new flavours.”

“Hey, Kim!” The owner of the café came by with a slice of cake. “My bakers were experimenting in the back, and came up with a caramel apple crumble. I’d like my favourite pregnant customer to be the first.” He even handed her a fork.

“And thank you, Manong.” She glared at Gerald. “At least someone’s thankful for my endless hunger.” She took a first bite and moaned out loud. “Manong, you have the hands of a miracle maker. This is amazing. You need to taste this,” she held out the fork to Gerald and he laughed before eating it.

The owner smiled. “The new bakers came from Hawaii and said it was a huge hit. I guess bonuses are in order. Enjoy the cake.”

“Speaking of Hawaii. I was thinking of taking a trip. You know, being all cooped up in here in this tiny city for nine months, I thought that as a reward Ysabelle and I would take a trip somewhere. And maybe you’d like to come with us.” She said.

Gerald had the ‘thinking face’ on which would usually lead to the ‘but…’ phase. “Kim, you know that babies have to be a certain age before they can go on planes…”

“Okay,” she said. “So I’ll ask Dr. Meadows, along with my other list of questions I need to ask. But tell me you’ll come. Ysabelle needs someone there with her, a male figure. And I need someone there to have fun with.” Gerald used his contemplative face again. “Don’t tell you need to work. Come on, say you’ll come with us.”

All he could do was to say yes. How could he possibly say no to a beautiful woman begging him to travel with her? “Okay, I’ll go.”

“Do you promise?”

“Yeah, I promise.”

“So now that we’re on the subject of actually traveling. Where’s the best place you’ve ever been?”

“I don’t know, I’ve never really thought about it,” Gerald rested his cheek against his palm.

Kim shrugged, “Well think about it now. You’ve been all over…maybe not on good circumstances, but speaking beauty-wise.”

“I’ll say that the best place I’ve traveled is not the best place I’ve been.”

Kim raised her eyebrows and leaned back, awaiting a long explanation following. “I gotta listen to this. That sounds almost spiritual.”

“When Emma was just a baby, I used to just stand with Emma looking outside her window and talk to her until she fell asleep.” He started his debriefing.

“And what would you talk about?”

He smiled in reminiscence. “Just stuff. Travelling, books, stories, princesses. It never mattered, because all she wanted was to hear my voice and feel me holding her. And after awhile, she’d just all asleep, and I’d just listen her breathe; watch her chest rise and all. See her eyes flutter, knowing she’d be dreaming, knowing she felt safe. Now that’s the best place I’ve been.”

Kim looked deep into his eyes. “When you think about it, in a couple of weeks you’ll be holding her,” she smiled, resting her hands on the child inside of her. “Talking to her. That should be a sight, talking for a change.”

“Well babies have a different personalities. Maybe she wants to hear your horrible singing.” He teased.

“Hey! I am not a horrible singer! Well – I could be better,” she laughed. “But she’ll want to hear me sing. Gerald, I want her to have everything – lullabies, soccer practices, ballet recitals, piano recitals, horse-back riding – I want her to have everything I didn’t. And from this moment, it’s going to be the goal, purpose of my life: bringing up a happy child.”

“Mine too,” he said taking her fork and finishing up her cake.

When they arrived back to the penthouse, Kim laughed all the way up to the elevator. “You know, I’ve never expected myself to be this excited about having her. And not just having her here, but the birth in itself. I don’t know,” she was out of breath, and glowed.

“Maybe it’s all the hormones.” She laughed and nodded. “Or the birthing classes.”

“Okay, but you have to promise to actually be there and not push it into your sister’s hands. Okay, that is a lame brother move,” she poked him. “You need to be there and hold my hand and watch me scream…” she laughed. “Unless you’re scared. I mean, there’s nothing to be scared of, I’m doing all the work.”

Gerald opened the door and laughed along side with her. When they turned a strange woman was inside sitting on the couch with Gerald’s bodyguard from downstairs with her. “Can I help you?”

“Mom,” Kim breathed.

“Ms. Mendoza said she was Kim’s mother, so I decided to wait with her until you came back.” Ken said, nodding when Gerald gave the sign for him to leave.

“Mendoza,” Kim repeated. “What’s husband number five’s name this time?”

Lilly looked at her blankly. “Kim, honey, I need you.”

Gerald took his cue to leave. “I’ll be right upstairs.”

Kim nodded, and turned her attention to her mother. “I’m doing fine, Mom. Thanks for asking.” She put her hands on her stomach, “And your granddaughter’s due in two weeks, if you were interested.” She answered the invisible questions.

“I heard about your pregnancy, congratulations.” Kim scoffed. “And that is what I’m here to talk to you about.”

“So after four years of not calling, not writing, you decide to come and ask me for a favor concerning my baby that you heard from the streets because I wasn’t the one who told you.”  She said.

Lilly took a deep breath. “You have a little sister, Kim. She’s three and beautiful and so much fun,” her eyes blurred with moisture. “And sick. And I need your help.”

“What’s wrong?” Kim said.

“She has a blood disorder and no one is a match. Not me, your step-father, and since you’re O and she’s AB, it’s not looking good. But I went to the hospital, and they let me see the charts, your baby’s a match, sweetheart.”

“My baby isn’t even born yet. And you want her to give blood?”

“No, honey. I’ve done my research, they take your stem cells, and then transfer it, and scientifically it helps.” Lilly explained.

Kim knew about stem cells. “You want me to induce me my labour.” Kim answered. “She’ll be born in two weeks, and I’ll be glad to give them to your daughter.”

“Kimmy,” she hasn’t called her that sine she was eight. “Kelly doesn’t have two weeks. She’ll be lucky if she even has one. Your daughter is our last resort. She’s just a child who deserves to live. I know that I’ve messed up with you and your father, but this is my chance to correct all my mistakes. I’ve changed, honey. Please.”

“What are the chances that something might go wrong with my baby,” Kim’s voice broke, thinking about it.

Lilly looked down, “10 percent.”

She gasped. “10 percent? I can’t…I can’t even think about…Mom…that’s so high.”

“Baby, you have a 90 percent chance of survival, okay my child won’t have 10 percent if she doesn’t get this chance. Just come with me to this hospital, okay, we can talk about it with the doctors and you can make a decision based on you meeting with your little sister.” Lilly offered.

A couple minutes, Gerald was in the car with Kim in the passenger seat and her hands shaking. “I can’t believe I’m doing this. I’ve spent years ignoring my mother and her me. And all of a sudden, I have a little sister who needs the help of her unborn niece, my child.”

Gerald grabbed her hand. “You’ll make the right decision. You’re only thinking like a mother, Kim. You’re thinking about your child.”

“10%? Gerald, I have spent the last nine months planning for Ysabelle. Going to doctors appointment when I hate hospitals, taking criticism for her and lies and betrayals. I’ve spent nights crying myself to sleep. I can’t lose all of that to 10%. If she’ll just hold on for two weeks, just two weeks, I’ll hand my stem cells myself.” Kim’s breath was ragged, trying to keep up with her mind.

He squeezed her hand, “Then I think you’ve made your choice.”

Once they arrived back at the hospital, Kim met with one of the physicians, and learned everything she’s needed to know about what she needed to do. And with herr decision in mind, she met her mother in the chapel praying.

Lilly saw Kim walking towards her and smiled, but it faded when Kim shook her head. “I’m sorry. I spoke to Dr. Meadows and Dr. Lee and Dr. Karpov but I can’t.”

“Kim…I’m begging you,” she got on her knees in front of Kim. “Mother to mother, help my baby.”

Kim’s eyes flooded with tears, “I’m sorry, Mom. But I can’t. I can’t risk anything happening to Ysabelle.”

“I know you’re scared. Any mother would be, but I’m asking you to think about if you’d induce and all the things that would happen. You’d save a life. Birthdays together, Kim. Okay, christenings for you, and wedding for both our kids and graduations.”

“Mom,” Kim insisted, pulling her up and shaking her head. “10% chance. You wouldn’t take it, you know you wouldn’t. I can’t either. I’m sorry, I’m sorry. “

“Kim, you’re baby is 38 weeks, she’s fine, she’s healthy and strong. You can do this. My baby is in that room hooked on to machines, she can’t breathe. She can’t even open her eyes, Kim. You need to do this for your little sister. They do this all the time without any complications.”

“Mom, I am a mother with a daughter at risk. I won’t take it, ever.” She concluded.

Lilly grabbed her hand and pulled her to the door. “I want you to see her.”

“Mom, please don’t.” She begged.

“I want you to look at my daughter. I want you to see that her chest is barely moving. I want you to see that she’s dying; that you could save her, but you won’t.”

“Don’t say that, please, don’t.” She closed her eyes, praying she was back at home.

Lilly grabbed her and shook her eyes open. “You’re letting her die. You’re going to let heart stop beating. And your going to stand there and not do anything. Where’s your compassion?! Where’s your humanity?! How the hell are you going to be able to live with yourself after knowing that you could’ve saved her precious life – your beautiful sister’s life! I want you to look at her. I may not be able to make you induce labour, but I can by God make you see the price of your selfishness because it’s easy to ignore death when it’s not staring you in the face; when it’s in some corridor down the hall. When it’s someone else’s daughter – your sister. I want you to look at my daughter! Come watch your little sister die!” Lilly yelled, pulling Kim along.

Kim tried to get out, but she couldn’t. Her body was getting weak, and the only thing she knew would stop this pain was to give in. “Okay!!!” She screamed. “I will induce my labour for you! Ahhh!!!!!!” She leaned forward while the pain stabbed her in the abdomen and her heart. “My baby!”