Only Tonight

Unplanned [completed]

Kim spent the night and went to work the next day just like she planned, though she was distracted. She picked up phones and even picked up three new clients; she also was able to start on planning two new events. This was what she missed most about her work. She missed being able to isolate herself from her problems and only focus on what was in front of her.

She got home and the first thing she did was checking her messages - blank. Either he was planning on not going - which was unlikely - or their relationship was over and he didn’t see any reason for telling her anything.

By the time she was dressed for bed, she stared at the phone until her eyes drifted off to sleep. Nothing. If she continued like this, she knew this would be a long week.

Gerald read over all the letters about five times. He knew the terms of his duty.  The last time he served, it lasted five years, and on his contract, he was alowed to be called back again in the next seven years before his contract was finished. He didn’t know what to do. Yes, he had his duty to his country, but he also in a committed relationship with Kim. They hadn’t said the words yet, but he knew in his heart that he loved her, and walking away from her now would not only break his heart, but hers. As much as it sounded cliché, or a plot from an over-rated movie, but he was torn between and his duty. There really wasn’t a choice here, it was all about obligation. The real question was how he was about to tell Kim.

When they argued about this a week ago, he could see her heart already breaking. By not telling me, you haven’t just taken years from your life, Gerald; you’ve taken years off of mine! He recalled. It was true. He was taking years away from her. God forbid she couldn’t wait for him and she decided to end what they had – even though what they had was pretty damn good and special. Gerald closed his eyes and took a swig of his beer. He couldn’t even think about that; coming back home after walking through hell and then see her happy with someone else, and maybe even have a family she’s always wanted. He wasn’t go to go that far.

It was the weekend, and Kim had it off. She went to take a shower and was interrupted when someone rang on the door. She quickly stepped out and put on her robe, she also grabbed an extra towel and began to towel dry her hair. She opened the door and was surprised to see Marissa. “Hey,” she said. “What’s up?”

“Hey, sorry to bother you, but I remember you telling me you had the weekend off. I was actually coming over here to borrow something from you. I have a date tonight.” Marissa explained walking in and dropping her coat on the couch. “Do you mind me raiding your closet?”

Kim forced a smile and pointed her the way. “So who is this date with?”

“It’s this guy I met in a bar last night. He’s so cute, and he’s divorced. Well, this isn’t exactly a date because he’s a lawyer, and he was willing to give me some pointers on how I should approach mine. But if things go as planned, he might come over to my place.”

Kim slid the door open and walked in. “So what exactly do you want? The I’m-getting-divorced-and-desperate-in-need-to-start-over outfit? Or I’m-planning-on-seducing-you-tonight attire?” Kim asked.

Marissa feigned laughter. “I think I should do the searching instead of you. For all I know you’re going to set me up with a hideous dress because you want me to never move on and go back to Michael.” She got off the bed and began going through the racks. “So I haven’t seen you over at Ge’s place lately. Are you guys fighting?”

She sighed and went back into her adjoined bathroom, but kept the door opened enough to let the conversation keep going. “Kind of. We’re not exactly on speaking terms.”

“Oh…well maybe this is a bad idea. I mean I stay loyal to Gerald no matter what, even if it is his fault.” She said, but not intending on stopping anytime soon.

Kim walked out in a pair of sweats and zip-up hoodie. “Did you know he got called back by the marines?” She asked.

Marissa stopped and looked at Kim, “Are you kidding?” The look on Kim’s face said it all. “I guess not. When?”

“He’s been getting letters since April.”

“And you’re mad because he’s going back?” She assumed.

Kim shook her head, “No. I’m mad because he didn’t tell me. His excuse was because I was pregnant and he couldn’t leave me. But what about after? Sure, I was messed up, but he had three months to tell me. And the letters just kept coming in. How could he hide this? Especially from you, you’re his best friend!”

Marissa nodded. “You know he will go back. He doesn’t have a choice in that matter. He made a commitment and he needs to stay with it.”

“I know he’s going back. I just can’t help but feel betrayed. He deliberately chose not to tell me. What else is he hiding?”

“Ge doesn’t work that way. Yes, he lied and he kept a secret, but he wouldn’t have intentionally done to hurt you. In his mind, he probably did it to spare you.”

“I don’t want him to. I’m a grown woman, I can make my own decisions, I can control myself.”

“If you understand, what’s the big deal?”

“Because I need him. I know it sounds selfish, but I just had the worst year of my life. Okay, I fell in love and the guy ended up married. I got pregnant, and when I was finally excited and happy to have a little girl, I lost her. My mom’s back in town, and maybe she hasn’t done anything, it’s still confusing and brings back old wounds. And finally, when I find stable ground and when I smile without my heart breaking, it’s taken away by a decision he made six years ago. I need him.” She closed her eyes. “I know that he needs to do this, but he’s become that one thing in my life that stayed constant. When I doubted myself, he was there to reassure me. When you treated me like dirt, he treated like someone who deserves better. I don’t know what to do without him. I haven’t spoken to him for a week, and I find myself staring at the phone, driving myself crazy wondering what he’s doing, if he’s thinking about me, if he already made a decision, if he wants to call, or he wants to end this.”

Marissa took her cell phone out. Gerald was speed dial #1 on her phone. He picked up on the first ring. “Hey. Can you do me a favor and come to Kim’s place. You guys really need to talk.” Kim turned to look at her and glared. “Don’t drive yourself crazy. I like you, and as much as it kills me to say this, but you’re the only one who’s made Gerald smile like he does. Don’t let something like this break you.”

“Five years, ‘Riss.”

“Five years is a blink of an eye compared to a lifetime. Who knows, you might have seven days left or seven years to seven lifetimes together. Don’t ruin what you have, trust me, Kim. When you have something this good, you hold on to it as long as you can, because you lose it, you can never get it back.”

Five minutes after Marissa left, the knock she was expecting. She opened the door and walked away leaving it open. “Usually you’d just walk in.” She said aloud, and went back into her kitchen opening her fridge and drinking from bottled water.

“I didn’t know…” his voice trailed off. “Where’s Marissa?”

“She just left. You haven’t called,” she mentioned. “I’ve waited, and you haven’t called.”

“Kim…I don’t want to hurt you.”

“Well that’s great. But we’re not exactly in a situation where no one’s going to get hurt. Gerald…what are we going to do? Did you not tell me because you assumed this would be over? Or did you plan on just leaving without talking about this?” She asked. “You not telling me hurts more than the fact you need to leave. That it’s bad because you leaving breaks my heart.”

He walked to her and pulled her to him. “I don’t want you to go.” She admitted.

“And I don’t want to leave you.” He whispered against her hair.

“So back to the original question what are we going to do?” Her teary eyes met his.

He pushed her hair back and kissed her. “Take it one day at a time.”

“Ge, you could die over there,” her voice broke. “Our last night together could be our only night together…I know you have to go. I just, I don’t want you to. I don’t want to lose you.”

“Hey.” His fingers pushed her chin up so she looked up at him. “You are not going to lose me. Do you hear me, never.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Come here,” he pulled her against him once more and sighed. “This isn’t over. Us, we’re not finished yet. This isn’t finished yet. We still have a lot more to do together. And I promise we will.”

The evening swooped in with its darkness enveloping them. They put on a fire in the living room as their only night. Gerald sat behind her and supported her weight, with his legs cornering her in. His head rested against the side of her head, and Kim pulled his arms around her with their fingers intertwined. “When do you leave?”

“In a month,” he answered. “I called the Colonel and it was decided.” Kim’s shoulders slumped down against him. He took his hands and began rubbing her back. “It’s going to be okay. I survived before, I can do it again.”

“Yeah, well, you didn’t have a girl waiting for you back home. There was no pressure  pressed ppressed her lips on hisback then.”

“No pressure? What do you call Marissa writing me every day ordering me to stay alive or else she’ll bring me back and then kill me all over,” he chuckled. “Or Darling telling me all those spots where the letters were smudged were her tears, and trust me, baby, the entire letter was smudged. And then the phone calls, everyone fighting for the phone just to speak to me. I’m adding one more to the list.”

“I better be first – first you call, first you write, first one to read.” She said.

Gerald laughed, “How about settling in to second.” Kim lurched forward. “Ma gets mad if she doesn’t get the first phone call.” He pulled her back and kissed the side of her head. “But you’ll be the first one on my mind.” He promised.

She laughed, “Nice save. Anyways, I’m sorry I freaked out.” She sighed. He nodded, and she felt his breath against her skin.

Gerald leaned down and carefully nipped at her shoulder. One week without this, he was already going insane. How could he survive five years. If the enemy didn’t kill him, missing her would. “I missed you,” he sighed.

She turned around and cradled his face with her hands. She pressed her lips against his and could feel his smile against her. She sighed and he used it as a sign of her saying she missed him too. He hooked his arm underneath her calf and lifted her up in his arms. She held onto his shoulder and quietly giggled.

The next few weeks flew by really quickly and they made sure they spent every waking moment together. She stayed over at place for the month, and even brought a luggage of everything she needed, especially for the weekend she had planned.

At work Kim researched some cottages around the city, and came across the most perfect one. They only had one weekend left until he needed to leave, and put everything off until then.

Gerald got home, and grabbed his overnight bag from the closet. Because they had everything planned on what they were going to do, they were able to fit everything into one bag, which meant not a lot needed to be worn.

“Kim, you ready? We need to leave…” he looked at his watch and sighed. “Like right now” He called out.

She ran down the stairs and laughed, “I’m ready, I’m ready!” She kissed him in greeting and was the one out the door first.

The weather was getting much better; yes it was still cold, but the sun was staying out longer and the ground was clear of any snow. She stood by the bike, and Gerald put the bag underneath the seat in storage. He handed her the helmet and then got on the bike.

Kim jumped onto the bike and started putting on the helmet. Gerald started the engine and turned his head. She was still putting on the helmet, adjusting the strap. “You ready?”

“Um…yeah?” She said. He laughed at her inconsistency. “Yeah,” she said wrapping her arms around him and resting her chin on his shoulder.

They drove in the night and he halted to a stop when they came to a small cottage. She got off the bike first and put her helmet hanging on the handle. “Is this it?” He asked her.

She walked and opened the door. “It looks like the one from the website.” She walked in first with him holding her around her waist. “It’s pretty.” She said, admiring the glorious colours of all the flowers inside. “I hope we don’t have to take care of them all weekend. It puts a damper on the mood.” Kim spun around and wrapped her arms around his neck. “Listen,” she said, trailing light kisses on his lips. “Tonight is about nothing but us. Okay? No interruptions, no nothing, it is just about us and the time we have together. I don’t want to think about anything but right now.” She told him.

Gerald nuzzled the side of her neck. “Mmhmmm…” his lips vibrated against her neck, and she giggled from the sensation.

They relaxed on the couch together for the time being, after the two hour ride to the cottage. She had her head on his lap, and he played with her hair, touching the silhouette of her face with one hand, while the other one rested on her flat abdomen. “Listen, I want to thank you for arranging this weekend and for understanding, for not forcing me to choose.”

“There was never a choice. And as much as I understand…it doesn’t mean I don’t hate it. And I would never make you choose. It’s who you are.”

“I hate leaving you, too,” he bent down and kissed her. “So maybe this will make you remember something.” He pushed her up, and ran to his bag.

Kim sat up and wiped her eyes.

“We’ve known each other for over a year now. And all those months that I watched you, you’ve grown into this amazing person that I admire. And being with you has made me happier than I have ever been in a really long time. When I was there all those years ago, I would try to think of a memory that would keep me sane until I’d get that next letter or that next phone call, but I don’t need to scrounge up an old memory, because I’ll know that something great and amazing is back home waiting for me.” He said, holding out a velvet black box. “And I want you to know something, that I’ll come back.” He held it out to her and she opened the box.

“It’s beautiful,” she said. “Is that a compass?”

“Yeah. It’s to show that I’m going to find my way back to you.” He smiled, “Not that I’m lost, but I’m leaving, and I’m sorry and this is my promise that I’ll come back to you…because I love you.”

Kim lurched forward and latched onto him, holding him tight, not every wanting to let go. “I love you,” she replied. Kim smiled. “I’ve been wanting to say it for the longest time, but I didn’t know when or where. I guess this is perfect.”

“I didn’t want to go without you knowing.” He said.

She looked down at the necklace and smiled. “Do you mind putting it on me?”

In seconds, he had it around her neck safe and secure over her heart. “I’m going to miss you so much,” he whispered, and sealed her lips with his own. She grabbed onto his shirt, and low groan left his lips.

“Wait…” she said, pushing them apart. “You said you wanted to give me something to remember you by.” She moved her hair behind her shoulders so the necklace showed off. “And I think it’s only fair for me to do the same.” She stood up, and pushed his shoulders back so he sat down.

“Whoa, what are you doing?” He chuckled.

“I want to give you something to remember me.” Kim slowly and reverently lifted her shirt over her head and was left in a black lace bra, accentuating her s. Her eyes never left his, but the thought that this was the last time she’d ever make love to the man she loved was too overwhelming. She stopped and closed her eyes.

With that one move, he could see her heart breaking and all he wanted to do was to protect her. He tilted his head to the side in understanding and stood up. “Hey,” he whispered. “It’s okay. It’s going to be okay.” He promised her. Gerald held out his arms. Kim grabbed hold of his shirt and pulled him to her, burying her face in his chest. He cradled her body and head in his touch, feeling this moment tug on his heart strings also, inevitably feeling his eyes water too. Gerald wiped her eyes dry and looked at her, kissing her again. “Come on,” he whispered, grabbing her hands and leading her up the stairs to the nearest bedroom. If they only had tonight, tonight was what he was going to give her. He was going to show her how much he loved her, and she was going to do the same. Nothing mattered but right now, not the past, not the future, just the present.

SAD/HAPPY CHAPTER, DEPENDING ON THE WAY YOU THINK OF IT. THE STORY IS COMING TO AN END SOON. ONLY A COUPLE MORE CHAPTERS LEFT AND THEN THAT’S IT FOR THEIR UNPLANNED JOURNEY TOGETHER. DON’T WORRY, MORE KILIG COMING IN THE FUTURE, AND IT’LL END HAPPY, I PROMISE YOU. I HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT SO FAR, AS MUCH AS I ENJOYED WRITING IT. PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS, ‘CAUSE I LOVE READING THEM, AND I’LL UPDATE SOON, I PROMISE! THANKS GUYS! :D