Carnival

Unplanned [completed]

The next morning, Kim had a head start in packing her things. Gerald stood in the doorway watching her. “I thought you were a joking about moving out.”

Kim laughed and emptied out another drawer. “Nope. I’ve actually been thinking about moving out for awhile now.” Gerald took a step forward and Kim just kept on smiling. “I know you asked me to stay, but there’s no baby Gerald. The whole point of staying here was to care for a child and raise her, but she’s not here. And as much as I love the way you’ve taken care of me, I can’t keep falling on you for help.”

He took her hands, “I wanted you to.”

“I know, and I wanted you to want it. But I’m okay. Does it still hurt? Hell yeah, and seeing you helped. But, I need to move on. Everyone knows that, Marissa bitterly pointed it out. And moving on also means…”

“Moving out.”

She placed her palm of the curve of his cheek. “I called a friend Melody, and she owns this place that rents out a couple of rooms. She generously gave me one, and it’s two blocks from here, so it’s not that far.” Gerald nodded. “Look, I’m not going to date someone whom I already living with.” Kim slapped his arm teasingly. “It’s already too tempting right now.”

Gerald chuckled, “I’ll be a good boy.” He promised.

“I know. But that’s not the only reason.” She heard him sigh. “Michael living across the hall won’t help our situation.” She looked at his face and answered his unsaid question. “No.”

“What?”

“I’m not in love with him.”

Gerald raised his eye brows. “How can you be so sure?”  

Kim walked to him and stood on her tip toes, placing her lips over his, and lightly brushing against them. “I’m sure. And now that I’m getting my own place…we can have private dates, without anyone barging in or calling or interruptions. It’ll just be the two of us.”

“We’re dating?”

Her smile faltered and she went back to packing her clothes. He laughed and grabbed her, “There’s a carnival downtown. I thought you’d like to go tomorrow.” He asked her.

“I don’t know if we’re dating,” she retorted.

“Kim Chiu, I’m officially asking you on our first date to a carnival tomorrow. Will you go with me?”

She smiled, liking the words coming out of his mouth. “I don’t know. I might have some other things to do.” He pushed her down so her back was flat on the bed and gave her a warning sign, knowing exactly what would bring her to her knees. She laughed and lifted her head enough so her lips touched hers. “Fine.” She surrendered. “But I’m still moving out.” He threw his head down as if he lost a battle. She laughed. “And so I need to pack.” She pushed him off.

Kim was thankful that she didn’t have too much to bring to her new temporary place, so she was all moved in by midnight. Kim refused Gerald’s help because she needed to do this alone, and she couldn’t rely on him forever, especially so early in their relationship. And not letting him see her new place would give them the step-back they needed, also the sense of mystery.

She stayed up all night trying to fix everything and preparing the new loft. And by the time Gerald knocked on her door to pick her up, she only had four hours of decent sleep.

Kim opened the door and Gerald was leaning against the door holding a bouquet of vibrant-colored daisies. She smiled and tried to hold in a yawn, but it came out anyway.

“I didn’t realize daisies made people sleepy,” he said pulling the flowers back and observing them.

She shook her head and smiled, “They’re beautiful, thank you so much. And they don’t make me sleepy, I just didn’t have a lot of sleep last night. Did you want to come in?” She moved aside to make room for him to enter.

He handed her the flowers, and she breathed in their scent, smiling. “I love daisies. They’re one of my favorite flowers,” she took out a vase from underneath the sink and filled it halfway with tap water. “And these are my first house warming gift.”

He laughed and smiled at her place. “This looks good. I’m kind of disappointed that you didn’t let me help you out?”

“And miss all this praise? Definitely not,” she walked to him and linked her arm around his, resting her check against his shoulder. “We ready?”

He nodded and threw his arm over her shoulders. “Yup.” She followed him outside and saw him get on a motorcycle.

Kim crossed her arms and laughed, “You’re kidding me, right?”

Gerald put on his helmet and held hers out, “Come on. It’s adventurous.”

She grabbed it out of his hand and put it on her head, “If I get helmet hair…” she said in a warning voice.

He smiled, “You’ll still look beautiful,” he completed the sentence, and tightened it around her chin. “See, you look adorable.”

Kim hopped on behind him and put her hands around his waist, pressing her chest against his back. “Isn’t it too cold for a festival to be outside?” She asked.

“Just wait and see.” 

He pulled the motorcycle into the indoor garage and took her helmet from her. “See, you still look perfect.” Kim rolled her eyes as Gerald took her hand and pulled her to the upper level.

Kim smiled, “Wow. You guys go all out, don’t you,” she commented on the three different Ferris wheels, four roller coasters, bumper cars, water dunking, food vendors, story-telling, face painting. It was just as big as it would’ve been outside on a spring, summer, and fall day.

He pulled her towards the shoot’n’hoop game. “I was thinking that maybe we can have a rematch.” He took out a two one-dollar bills and handed it over to the man behind the counter.

She laughed, “You really want to do that? I already won the first time.” She took the first ball and shot it in without it touching the rim. “Your turn.”

Gerald laughed, and shot it only having his eyes on her. “Consider it a challenge.”

It ended up with Gerald winning a game. “See, I’ve got game.” He smiled at the man behind the counter when he took down one of the large stuffed animal. Gerald held it out for her and she took it smiling.

“That’s only because I wanted you to win me one,” she retorted.

Gerald pulled her close and kissed the side of her head, inhaling her seductive scent.

“Kuya! Kim!” Darling yelled. Her eyebrows lifted as she saw how close and intimate they were together. “Oh, wow. So when did this start?”

Kevin grabbed his now-wife, “Honey, that’s their business and not ours,” he muttered.

“Hey,” Darling insisted. “This is my big brother and the woman who we owe our wedding to. It is my business to get these two hooked up,” she winked at the two of them.

“Actually, this is our first date and you are making it extremely uncomfortable.”

“That’s what little sisters are for,” she teased. “And oh,” she sighed. “He won you that teddy bear. Kevin won me a teddy on our first winter carnival, she remembered.

Gerald pushed Kim forward, “And if you don’t mind, I’d like to get on with our date.” Kevin held up his hand, and Gerald have him a high five smiling.

Kim looked back and Kevin who was whispering in Darling’s ear, “What was that? Some welcome-to-the-relationship-club high five?”

He pushed her toward the back wall, and laughed. “No, this is the ‘happy-to-be-in-relationship move that us, men like to show all the time,” he dipped his head, his hands on her waist and sealed his lips over hers.

She threaded her fingers through his now-grown hair. She was happy that he hadn’t cut it for awhile now. Kim arched her back, and pressed her chest against his. For a moment, they weren’t in the park, they were in their own world.

Gerald was the one who pulled back, panting. Kim had her eyes closed and was also breathing heavily. Her knees went weak, and could only be thankful that he was holding her up. “Good move,” she muttered. He laughed, and kissed her cheek.

“And let’s keep the image PG. It is supposed to be a carnival, and considering its inside, there’s not a lot of places to hide.”

Gerald looked up and sighed. Every time he wanted to get close, there seemed to be someone who would ruin the moment. Kim buried her head against his chest and laughed. “Well, it’s kind of difficult when there’s always someone around to ruin the privacy.” He shot a look of annoyance to a couple of his friends Kim was vaguely familiar with.

“Kim, right? I think we met at Darling’s wedding? The drunk girl?”

Kim flushed red and smiled, “Yeah. Sorry, I was out of it that night.” She recalled. “Your name?”

“Jake,” he stuck out his hand and shook hers. “You’re beautiful sober.”

Gerald wrapped his arm around her waist possessively. “Um, shouldn’t you be volunteering at the water dunking?”

Kim laughed, “If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to head over to the ladies’ room. Freshen up,” she said. Gerald pulled her in for a quick kiss, letting the message sink in for Jake, before she walked off.

“She’s hot,” Jake said watching her walk away. “Way prettier casual.”

Gerald hit the back of his hand against Jake’s chest. “I already have someone else for competition. I don’t need you too,” he walked over to one of the vendors and bought a soda.

“Who’s the competition?” Gerald’s gaze followed Michael chasing his kids and Marissa not far behind. “So they’re getting a divorce?” Ge shook his head. “He’s still cheating on her?”

“Not consciously. Kim called him on a couple of days ago. He didn’t deny still having feelings for her.”

“Damn,” Jake sighed. “How she doing with the whole baby thing?” Gerald’s been confiding in Jake for awhile, and been telling him all about Kim - her situation, his feelings for her. Sure, he did feel a little possessive with the way Jake looked at her, but he trusted Jake and their friendship, more than what he could say about Michael.

Gerald took a long drink, “She’s been doing okay. It was rough for the last month, but I really think she’s beginning to move on and live again. But it gets hard when something reminds her of her daughter, such as Michael and Marissa. I think that’s why she moved out; she couldn’t take the reminders in my house. And he still being in love with her isn’t helping the situation. Also, her Mom’s back in town.”

“As in the mother who forced her to induce her labour?” He nodded. “How’s she taking it?”

“I don’t think she knows.”

 

In the ladies room, Kim got out of the stall and saw the last person she wanted to see standing there. “Kim, hi honey.” Lilly said quietly.

She smiled briefly. “What are you doing here?” Kim asked with curiosity, rather than hostility.

A toilet in the background flushed, and the same little girl from the hospital emerged from behind the stall door. “Mommy, I’m done!” She walked to Lilly who lifted her up and helped her wash her hands.

“Kelly, why don’t you go on outside, Daddy’ll be waiting for you.” Lilly kissed Kelly’s cheek and ran off outside. “How are you?”

“Better, thanks. Kelly looks good. The appointment went great, I’m assuming?”

“It’s getting there,” Lilly nodded. “She asks about you; Kelly knows her sister helped her. She’s constantly asking about her big sister. I just didn’t know if you wanted to see her. But I was thinking that since we’re moving back here…”

Kim’s head jerked up. “You’re moving here? But I thought…I thought you had another life, another family.”

“When Kelly was in the hospital, I realized how much I missed in your life. Birthdays, graduations, milestones; events that mothers should be able to show their love and support. I want to start. I’m going to be here for Kelly, places that I haven’t been in your life, and I think she’d like it if her big sister shares it too,” Lilly said.

“I’d love to meet Kelly and be with her. But…” she took a deep breath. “What you did - I just can’t immediately forgive you. Mothers are supposed to love their child unconditionally and support them and love them. You’ve missed more than milestones, Mom. You’ve missed my life.” Her eyes teared up. “You can’t just move in here and have a revelation, an epiphany of all the things you should’ve done. I don’t want to be angry anymore.” Kim could sense an end to the conversation soon, so she washed, lathered and rinsed her hands before continuing. “I want to move forward, I am moving forward, but this relationship is going to need more than a bandaid. We can’t just cover it up.”

Lilly nodded, “Time. We need time, and I understand that. Take all the time you need.”

Kim walked outside and looked for Gerald who was still speaking to Jake. She smiled as they approached her. “Hey.” Gerald handed her his soda and she drank from it. “Thanks. What have you been talking about?”

“Gerald’s big birthday coming up.”  Kim smiled and Jake’s reminder. “The big 2-5 requires a big party, big booze, big names and big food. Can’t forget the food, bro,” Jake nudged him.

Gerald laughed, but saw that Kim wasn’t paying attention, only staring at her mother who magically disappeared. “You okay?”

“Yeah, just distracted.” Kim answered. “Um, listen, I plan parties for a living, so if you need help, you know who to call,” she winked at Jake.

“Yeah, definitely hot,” Jake commented.

Kim laughed, and Ge rolled his eyes. “I apologize, Jake hasn’t been taught how to treat a woman.” He knocked fists with him and pulled Kim along side with him. “See you later, man.”

“I’ll call you,” he made a phone gesture with his hands and winked at Kim who laughed. “Bye.”

Kim put her hand over his slinging over her shoulder. “So what did you want for your birthday?”

“How about we start off by telling me what’s wrong?”

She smiled, “Nothing.”

Gerald walked around to stand in front of her. “Your mom’s in town.” He stated. Kim nodded. “And word has it that she just bought a house here with her new husband and your sister.” Kim looked at him uncomfortable. “You obviously ran into her. You want to talk about it?”

“No. I don’t. My mom moved back home because she wants to…help our relationship. That’s it. It’s complicated, but I’m not letting it get to me.” Kim grabbed his hand. “I know we just got here, but I was wondering, maybe, we can head back? To my place?”

Gerald returned to her back side and wrapped his arms around her and kissed the lobe of her ear. “I thought you’d never ask.”