Promises

Unplanned [completed]

Gerald was the one who woke up first this time. He got out of bed and went to sit by the window to watch the sun rise. The last sunrise he was going to watch with Kim by his side, or in his bed. He wasn’t much of a melancholy guy, and it took a lot for him to make him cry, but watching her sleep facing him took away all the smiles he had stored.

Gerald picked up his jeans off the armrest and went into his back pocket. He took the box out, and held it in his hand. He was 25 years old, and he never thought he’d make this major decision so soon, but everything he felt at this moment, everything he knew he felt was right.

He walked over and sat on the edge of the bed. The sun framed her face perfectly, her complexion looked like satin underneath the rays. He caressed the side of her face, and kissed her cheek. “Wake up, honey,” he whispered.

Kim squeezed her eyes shut before letting them open. “Too early,” she groaned, squirming around and then turning her face to face the opposite side.

He laughed and leaned forward, his lips against her ear. “Come on, wake up babe.” As a bribe to help her, he put the velvet box on the pillow he just vacated.

Kim opened her eyes, and the box was at face level. She gasped quietly and took it in her hand. She turned back around and glanced from him to the box and back again. “What is this?”

“A promise.”

“For what? I thought the compass was the promise you’d come back.”

Gerald took the box from her hand and sighed. “I was thinking about making another promise. Our future together. Kim, I have loved you since the moment you wanted to name her after my grandmother. You opened your heart to me, and you wanted me to become the father of your baby. Ever since, all I wanted was to have that family with you. And I know this is really sudden, especially under the circumstances, but I wanted you to know that I will come home. And when I do, I want us to start building on that family.” He opened it, and the diamond shone in its brilliance.

This time, Kim gasped aloud.

“I want you to marry me.” He took the ring and placed on her finger.

She felt Gerald’s fingertips wipe away her tears, and that’s when she realized. She didn’t want anybody else’s fingers touch her face, she didn’t want anybody else’s lips pressing against hers, and she didn’t want to make love with anyone else but Gerald. Kim lurched forward and latched her lips onto his, cradling his face in her hands.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” he murmured against her.

She chuckled, and began working on his boxers he put on an hour before. Kim wrapped her legs around his waist and didn’t removed her lips from his. Gerald grabbed hold of her thighs and stood up, throwing her on the bed, but him not far behind.

Four hours later, Kim went downstairs and started making some lunch. Gerald followed her, only wearing his jeans low on his bare waist. He breathed in the scent of toast and sat at one the chairs of the dining table.

“So, there wasn’t much in the fridge and we didn’t go grocery shopping, so I made some BLTs.” She put a plate in front of him and went to sit in front of him. “Not much for energy.” She joked.

“I won’t need a lot if you do all the work,” he teased right back.

Kim took her sit and paused just to stare at the ring. “We’re engaged.” She said. “Like, really engaged?”

“Unless you don’t want to be.” He replied. “I don’t want you to feel like you need to just because I’m leaving. If you don’t want to wait…five years is a long time.”

Kim shook her head. “Someone wise said that five years is nothing compared to the rest of our lives. I mean, you’ll be 30, I’ll be 29. It’s a good age to get married.”

“And who told you that?”

“Marissa,” she answered.

He snorted and choked on his piece of bread. “Wow, that doesn’t sound like her. Wise and such,” he laughed. “So you’re going to hang out with her while I’m gone?”

“Who knows you better than your best friend? I bet she’ll have a lot of embarrassing stories to tell me about you in high school and Darling especially. You won’t be able to stop them,” she laughed.

“Oh no…” he groaned. “Look, I need you to do something for me.” Kim nodded. “I know you’re going to be having hard time at first, but I want you to look after them - Marissa and Darling. Especially Marissa and her divorce. I’m not going to be here, and Marissa is faulty to irrational thought. And Darling will probably be busy making babies, so I’m not too worried about her.”

Kim stood up and walked to him, making space for her on his lap. “I guess helping Marissa will help me keep my mind off of losing you for a little bit.”

Gerald placed his lips on her shoulder. Kim bent her head down so hers was touching his. “I’m going to miss your shoulder.” He said, moving his mouth up to her neck and her lips. “I’m going to miss you.”

The sun was going down and it was approaching the time where Gerald needed to start heading back home to pick up his luggage and then to the naval base.

“I feel like I’m forgetting something. We cleaned the bedroom, washed the dishes, turned off the stove.” Kim said walking down the stairs.

Gerald just finishing getting off the phone with his officer and turned off the phone. “You’re not missing anything. Everything’s done.”

Kim nodded, and wanted to prolong this as long as possible. “Maybe we could take a nice walk first, a way to say goodbye.” She suggested. “It’s a clear evening.”

“Kim. You know we can’t.” He sighed. “It’s time for us to go.” He pulled her to him, kissing the top of her head.

Gerald reached down and got her coat. “Are you ready?”

“No,” she said. “But I don’t want you to be late.”

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.

Kim looked at him, “Why do you feel like you have to apologize?”  She spun around so he could put her jacket on for her.

“Because I’ll be leaving you alone.”

Kim relaxed against him, resting her head against his chest. “I won’t be alone, Ge. I’ll be writing you and thinking about you all the time.”

“I am never going to forget this. I promise, I’ll make up for this.”

She smiled, “Okay. I’ll take you up on that.” She grabbed his collar of the coat and reached for his lips, tasting him. They headed outside onto the bike, and she held him differently. Pressing her body against his into an embrace. He was leaving soon, and she wanted to memorize everything about him.

It’s what she’s been doing the entire night, memorizing every contour of his face, every ridge of his body. And by holding his tight against her, maybe she’s remember the imprint of his body on hers.

It was past ten when they arrived to the naval base. There were numerous marines on dock and a couple climbing onto the ship. Gerald gave his bag to one of the stewards, and put his attention back on Kim. “I love you. Remember that.”

“I wanted to give you something.” She went into her purse and took out her yellow scarf. “To keep you warm” she chuckled. “And I sprayed it with my perfume. And I even put a bottle in your luggage to help you remember.”

“That won’t help with the guys,” he said taking the scarf and putting it around his neck.

“And a letter. I wrote it a week ago, and just kept adding onto it. Just don’t read it until you’re settled in.” Kim smiled behind the tears.

Gerald kissed her hard. “You better start planning that wedding, because the moment I come back, I want to marry you. And I want to get started on that family,” he hugged her, immersing himself in the smell of her scent.

“I love you,” she said when the last call for them to get on the boat was said over the PA system. “And I want you to know that I’m waiting for you. So be careful and don’t die on me. Because I need you.”

“I’m coming back to you,” he said taking the pendant on her necklace. “Remember. And I’ll call you when I can and expect letters, okay?”

“Gerald, come on,” the Colonel said.

He nodded, and kissed Kim. “I’m coming back to you. I love you.”

“I love you,” she replied, holding his hand until his touch left hers.  And it wasn’t until that moment that she felt another level of loneliness, a level that’ll last five years.

Gerald got on the ship and settled into his room. He roomed with three other people, the people he met the last time he served. The night was getting late, and Gerald could feel exhaustion take over. He lied on his bunk and took the scarf with him, breathing in Kim. It smelled just like her, delicious and irresistible and perfection.

He then reached into his pocket and took the envelope Kim just gave him. He opened it and two small photos fell out. It was one of them on their first Christmas together, Kim smiling to the camera, and Gerald kissing her cheek. And the other was one of only Kim. He turned it around and there was an outline of her lipstick, The only lips you’re allowed to touch, she wrote underneath. Gerald laughed out loud and then put it against his.

One of his roommates looked at the photo, and smiled. “Girlfriend? She’s hot,” he said.

Gerald smiled, “No. Fiancee. I promised her I’d marry her, and I fully intend to.”

SHORT CHAPTER, BUT SWEET. JUST A HEADS UP, AND GOOD NEWS - THE NEXT FIVE YEARS WILL ONLY BE ONE CHAPTER...LIKE HALF OF ONE. SO STAY TUNED AND ENJOY. :P