Too Soon?

Unplanned [completed]

Michael stepped into the room, catching Gerald off guard her forehead. It also caught Michael off guard, considering less than a year ago, he knew that was the only way Kim would be able to fall asleep.

Gerald must’ve heard footsteps because he turned to meet Michael’s gaze. He stood and walked outside into the hallway. “I would’ve come sooner, but the damn cases were ridiculous, and I was the only put in charge, and I needed to wait until someone superior could address the situation.” Michael explained.

“It’s alright.”

“How is she?”

“She…when she first found out about the baby, she fell into denial,” Michael nodded understanding. “But, I think, she’s starting to accept it. And then Lilly showed up here.”

Michael sighed, “What? What the hell did she want?”

“According to Lilly, she wanted to apologize, but she managed to be the first to tell her about the stem cells.”

“Gerald?” Kim choked out.

Gerald walked in, and touched her face, “I’m right here. Michael’s here too,” he said.  “He wanted to know how you were.”

Kim opened her eyes, but couldn’t look at him. “I’d like to be left alone now.”

“Kim,” Michael walked closer, but Kim turned her body. “I’m so sorry.”

“Stop,” she said. “I said I wanted to be alone. What part of that can’t anybody understand?” She looked towards Gerald, and reminded him of what she wanted a couple of hours ago. “I just lost my baby two weeks before she was supposed to be born!” Kim yelled. “I want to be alone so I could deal with the fact that I don’t want to be here right now! That I don’t want be alive right now! She’s gone, and I’m still here!” She sobbed, “My baby is gone because my mother wanted to induce my labor so she could take the stem cells. And she had the right to do it because the father of my baby was too busy to take care of the mother of his child! So you want to know how I’m doing?” Kim clutched her chest, feeling the burden increase in her heart. “I feel like it’s all my fault because the only person my baby could count on – me – was unconscious to do any real good. I took care of her for nine months, and now she’s gone because nobody was on my side! So I want to be alone, just like I was alone for those nine months!”

Gerald sat by her, and pulled her against him, “Michael I think you need to go.” He pulled her head to his chest, but she fought against him.

“She was my daughter,” Michael sighed. “She was my daughter, too.”

Kim shook her head, “She was a child that you conceived, that didn’t mean she was your daughter. You didn’t even want her.”

“Yes, I did.”

“No, no you didn’t. You tried to hide us, tried everything to keep her away from you. You didn’t want any ties to her, you wanted to give me as much money  it needed, and then once she was born you were willing to pay as much money as it took to get rid of us!” Once again she clutched her chest.

Gerald kissed her forehead and tried to calm her down. “Michael get out now!”

“No, she was my daughter, too. I lost my daughter too.” He pleaded.

“Michael, get the hell out of here, now! I’m telling you to leave. I’m not asking you; I’m telling you to get the hell out, now!” Gerald yelled.

Kim cried in Gerald’s arms, and let him comfort her. He was the only one who she trusted, who she wanted to see. When she wanted everyone else to get out, she wanted him to stay. When she didn’t want to think about anything else, especially the baby, she wanted to think about him. They’ve gotten so close over the past nine months, that they were a family; they would be a family.

When she finally calmed down, she looked at him and his tired eyes. “You should go home. You look exhausted.”

He smiled, “Do you wanna compare appearances?”

She chuckled a little bit, “You’re right. I’m so tired.”

“Maybe because you need some sleep. It’s been a long day, and nobody would blame you if you slept for the next week.” He said, wiping her eyes dry. “And I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have let Michael in or left you alone which let you free ground for your mother. I promise, I’m not leaving your side.”

She could tell he was being genuine. “After you go home.” He shook his head, but she nodded. “Gerald, you need to take a shower and change out of those clothes. You need sleep.” Gerald looked down. “Listen, you’ve been here for three days straight, and I know you’re hurting. She was as much my daughter as she was yours. But you need to go home. I meant what I said to Michael. I need some time alone.” He was still hesitant. “I’m going to tell the doctors not to let anyone in, but you. So after you get clean,” she tried to laugh, “you could come back.”

He squinted his eyes to see if she was telling the truth. “You promise not to do anything stupid?” She nodded obediently. “You promise you’ll still be in one piece?”

Again she nodded, “Now go. The faster you leave, the longer I sleep.”

He smiled, “Fine. Then, I want you awake when I come back,” he leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

She relaxed into the bed and sighed, but caught sight that Gerald stopped in the doorway. She stared at him. “What’s stopping you?”

His face grew serious, “About you said before, about being alone?”

“I didn’t mean it. I was just angry at Lilly and Michael. You know, I always dreamed about being a mom when I was married – happily married. I always dreamed of dropping my kid off at her first day of school, and she’d come home to a home that smelled like cookies,” she laughed. Gerald took that as his cue to sit back down next to her. “I had all these plans for Christmas. We’d go caroling, and she’d be in this little cute elf outfit as we went door to door. And as got older, we’d make snowmen and snow angels.” Kim closed her eyes as she imagined it. “I even began looking into horseback riding and ballet lessons and piano recitals. And I’d never miss one of them. I just wanted to make sure that she’s have everything that I didn’t. A loving Mother, a devoted father and a happy family.”

“Is that why you were mad at Mike? Because he wasn’t going to be that father.”

She shook her head. “I didn’t want Michael to be her father. She took his hand, “I wanted you. Whenever you were with me, I never felt alone.”

He smiled and sat on the bed beside her instead of on the chair. She moved to the side to accommodate him. He fixed himself to he was comfortable with her in his arms, something he’s always wanted to do since he arrived back. “You were supposed to go home, remember?” She said.

“Shhh, sleep. I’m not going to let you sleep alone, or feel alone ever again.” He kissed the top of her head, and felt her drift off.

The next day, Kim woke up alone, but felt a lot refreshed. It was the first night that she slept the entire night through. Kim sat up and all the events of yesterday came flushing back. Her baby was gone, she was no longer pregnant and her life would never be the same.

Her thoughts were put on hold with the fresh smell of brewed coffee, and hot the hospital kind, but the Starbucks kind. She smiled a the sight of him with his wet hair and newly changed clothes. “Good morning, I came bearing coffee and donuts.” He walked in and sat next to her.

“It smells so good!” She smiled.

“I spoke with your doctors, and coffee is good on a small amount, so I gave you decaf.” He handed her a hot cup. “But I didn’t right drinking real coffee, so I got myself a decaf too.” He handed her small bag.

She smiled wider, “Blueberry muffin. You know me so well.” For the last nine months, that was the only she’d be able to stomach in the morning, and knew would make her feel a little bit better, especially considering she needed to eat to get some strength. “What time did you leave this morning?” She asked taking a small nibble.

“Around six. You were down, and so I slipped out. I took a shower at Marissa’s condo ‘cause it’s closer than our place.” She looked down sadly. “What’s wrong? Talk to me.”

“Your place. The nursery. It’s all ready, and no baby.” She sniffed, feeling a rush of sadness. “There’s no baby, and here I am having coffee and smiling.”

Gerald nodded, “I know. You’re allowed to smile, Kim. Ysabelle isn’t going to be angry at that. You’re allowed to be sad, you’re allowed to cry, you’re allowed to want to be alone, but don’t for a second think you can’t be happy. Because of all those emotions, Ysa would want that for you.”

She nodded, “When will this pain go away?” she asked holding onto her heart, her eyes stinging with tears.

He touched her cheek with her palm, “It won’t. It’ll never go away. But you’re never going to go through it alone. Never.” He promised.