Pain and Sorrow

Unplanned [completed]

Kim could feel something wrong immediately as the yelling went back and forth. She bent down and grabbed hold of her stomach. “Ah! There something wrong with my baby,” she groaned in pain.

Gerald immediately rushed in. “Kim?! What’s wrong?!” He was behind her in seconds and supported her weight. He also put his hand over her stomach as if he could shield away any more pain towards Kim and her baby. “Kim, hold on!”

“Ge, there’s something wrong with the baby!” Her stomach was clenching, as if she could already feel something coming. “Ah!” She yelled.

He slipped a hand underneath and carried her outside the chapel. “I need help! Please! I need help, fast!” He yelled.

A crew of doctors rushed to her aid. Gerald carefully laid her vulnerable body onto the bed, but kept his hand on hers. “What’s wrong with her?! What’s happening to the baby?” The desperation in his voice was completely evident. He had never felt so fearful in his life. He needed the two of them to be okay. In the nine months they’ve spent together, she’s become so much a part of him as anyone else. She needed to be okay.

The doctor stopped him short of the doors, “You can’t come in here. I’ll tell you everything once I know.”

Lilly walked into the hallway and her face was petrified. The moment Gerald saw her, he felt like he was going to punch through a wall. “What did you to her?! She is in there because of you!”

“I was trying….I didn’t know….I was…” she couldn’t complete the sentence.

Gerald shook her, “I swear, if she doesn’t make it out!”

Marissa ran in and pulled him off the woman, “Ge, Stop! You need to stop! What happened? Where’s Kim?”

He could feel the tears well up in his eyes. The adrenaline stopped rushing through his veins, and his knees felt weak. Kim was in the OR, and her life was on the line. The woman he was in love with was at stake. “She’s…she’s…” he covered his face and put his back against the wall. “Marissa…”

Marissa understood. She wrapped her arms around him. “She’s going to be okay.” Marissa turned to face Lilly. “I think you should go.”

“That’s my daughter…” her voice trailed off.

“Where was that concern when you were trying to induce her labour! When you were yelling at her!” Gerald yelled.

Marissa squeezed his hand. “Lilly, you need to go right now. It doesn’t matter who you are. You have no right being here.” They watched Lilly walk away. She could feel Gerald’s hand shaking miserably. “Ge, what happened?”

He wiped his face. “They were yelling, and she fell…” his voice broke. “I ran in and she said there was something wrong.” He covered his face and sobbed. “She has to make it.

Michael showed up distraught ad confused. “Kim’s in the OR? What happened?”

They filled him in, but soon after was called out on another case.

Jason stayed by the door. “You don’t have to stay, ‘Riss. I know how she’s not your favourite person.”

Marissa stood up and walked to him. “When I first heard about Kim, I wanted to wring her neck. I thought she wanted to take my family away.”

“Kim would never do that.”  He defended her. “All she wanted…was to go away. If it wasn’t for me, she probably wouldn’t be here. I asked her to stay.” He chuckled a little bit. “I even remember her not knowing what a sippy cup was. She was so lost, completely inadequate, but wasn’t afraid to say it. And then she brought home the ultrasound photo, and was completely taken aback. Her face just lit up.” The tears returned. “She fell in love.”

“And so did you. I have to admit. I’m kind of mad that she made you feel that way, and I didn’t. Gerald, you love her and you love this baby, and that’s what’s going to get you through this.” Marissa comforted.

He couldn’t stay still anymore. “What’s taking so long!? Shouldn’t they be done by now? It’s been an hour.”

“You know what, they’re being careful, and precise.”

And that moment, the curtain was pulled. “Why’d they pull the curtain? His face was against the door. “What’s going on in there!” But he already knew. One of them didn’t make it.