Surprise

Unplanned [completed]

Gerald parked in front of a community center. He ran around to open Kim’s door. “Are you going to drop me off and leave me here until I get over my tantrum?” She asked teasingly.

He grinned at her and took her hand, pulling her inside. “I think it’ll help.” He whispered. He opened the second sets of door and Kim’s eyes widened at the sight. There were a bunch of little kids running around her. “And you thought I’d like this when I’ve been deprived of one?” Her tone was a little lighter, no longer depressed.

“Darling!” He called out, letting go of Kim’s hand and hugging his sister.

“Hey Kuya!” She smiled. “Kim! What are you guys doing here?” She welcomed Kim with a hug.

Kim shrugged and looked at Gerald.

“We are here to volunteer our services,” he said raising his eyebrows.

“Okay,” Darling prolonged the last syllable. “Well, more the merrier. Look, it’s really easy. We try to establish a sense of inclusiveness here at Safe Haven.” She explained. “And your timing is perfect. There’s a meeting upstairs, so if you can hold down the fort here, I’ll be right back.” Darling ran up the stairs with a couple of other adults following.

Gerald looked down at Kim and smiled. “Okay, inclusive,” he repeated Darling’s description.

She nodded and sighed. “And you’re sure I can do this?”

“I saw the way you looked at the little girl with the fruits and I saw you looking at your sister. You can do so much more, but for now…baby steps. And this is a good start.” He pointed to a little boy in the corner looking around and looking scared. “I think I found your first customer. I’ll go looking around for more…victims of children society.” He gave her a quick peck before leaving.

Kim began walking to the lonely boy. She took a seat on the chair beside the boy. “Hey there,” she leaned in and saw the child looking over at the boys playing basketball. The boy stayed quiet. “You know, I love basketball also.” She said. “My step-dad would bring me to the park after school and play with me. He was my favorite step-dad.” Kim remembered.

“How many have you had?” The boy asked.

“Well, my mom just got married again, so that makes him daddy number 5,” she answered. “I’m Kim,” she stuck out her hand.

His little hands touched Kim’s. “I’m Jason,” he replied.

“How old are you, Jason?”

“Eight. How old are you?”

Kim laughed sincerely. “Too old for you to know,” she said. “Why don’t you go and ask those boys to let you play?’

Jason shook his head. “They never let anyone play. They’re fourth graders.”

She covered his hand and rubbed it lightly. “I bet you’re better than them.”

Jason shrugged, “I know some stuff my uncle showed me.”

Kim looked behind her and saw Gerald walk towards her with a little girl, probably five or six. She was on her thumb and Gerald was holding onto her free hand. He pointed to Kim and mouthed something to the child and she smiled.

“Morgan, this is Kim. Isn’t she pretty?” Gerald said, winking at Kim.

She smiled, “Hi sweetie,” Kim framed her face with the palm of her hand. “We were just saying that we wanted to start our own basketball game.” Kim said looking at Gerald.

Gerald’s eyes lit up. Now this was his forte. “Really? So two on two?” He asked. “Me and Morgan vs. you and…”

“Jason,” Jason said smiling widely. He jumped off his chair and ran to the rack to grab a basketball.

Morgan followed Jason, and he let her dribble a couple of times until Kim and Gerald could catch up. “Now I know I’m supposed to let a girl win, especially one that I like a lot, but basketball can get pretty heated, especially when I’m on the opposite team.”

Jason passed the ball to Gerald and Kim snatched it from his hands. “Then game on,” she winked and smiled mischievously. She shot the ball, and it swooshed in. “You’re not the only one with game,” she assured him.

Jason and Kim were a good team, catch the ball here, throw the ball there; ball through the leg, lay ups all over. But Gerald’s team was just as good. He took most of the shots, but his little teammate made it easy to steal the ball away and Gerald would lift her up to shoot some hoops. Within ten minutes, all rules of basketball were broken. Kim would jump on Gerald’s back and Jason would have an opening to either steal the ball or shoot and get it in. Gerald would lift Kim off the floor and tickle her until she dropped the ball. Once Morgan stole it, he’d run and carry Morgan to shoot the ball into the hoop.

It might not have been fair, but it sure was fun; side-splitting laughs escaped everyones mouth. The score was 14-13, one more shot and they would declare the winner (first to 15 wins, they’ve decided). Morgan had the ball first, and Kim wouldn’t even think about stealing the ball from a five year old, so she was glad when she threw, not passed, threw the ball to Gerald who caught on a low bounce. Kim ran in front of him and stretched out her hands to keep him from passing.

Gerald did one of those sneaky moves where he pretended to throw one way and then really go the other way, but Kim didn’t fall for it. She went the opposite way which Gerald pretended to shoot and was able to grab the ball. She passed it to Jason who was wide open and he spun around - one of the moves he probably learned from his uncle - and did a lay up.

Kim shot her arms up in the air and the room cheered. Apparently their game turned from private to a crowd watcher. Kim ran to Jason and gave him a high five. The smile on that kid’s face could almost make others forget he was that lonely boy hanging out in the corner just half an hour before.

The boys who were playing on the other court across the room ran to Jason and oohed and ahhed at his cool moves for an eight-year-old. Even little girls ran to Morgan and invited her to play dollhouse. Kim and Gerald were left in the centre of the court and she turned to look at him. “I guess you weren’t as skilled as you thought you were,” she said poking him against his damp shirt. “And it feels like you tried really really hard.” She rubbed her fingers against each other, making a disgusted face.

He laughed and removed his shirt, leaving himself only in a black tank top. He wiped his neck dry and than wrapped it around his neck. “Hey, I wouldn’t be sweating so much if some girl didn’t keep jumping on my back.” He teased.

“Well, you kept stealing my ball!” She defended. “And what happened to ‘I can get pretty heated when I’m on the opposite team,’” she paraphrased.

“Basketball can get pretty heated,” he said, reaching for her neck and pulling into a searing kiss.

Kim obliged by wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him back. Gerald’s hands slid down her sides and rested on her hips, pulling her in close. He tilted his head and led on her lower lip as she allowed him in.

“Eh-hmm!” A woman cleared . “You know, there are rooms upstairs to keep from scarring the children.”

“Tito Gerald!”

Gerald pulled back and saw Marissa staring at them with a disgusted look. “Jake, why don’t you go inside the car. I’ll be there in a second.” Jake walked towards the door leaving the grown ups alone. “Wow, you want to be a father to her baby and then you go ahead and start having with her in the middle of a children’s centre.”

Gerald scratched his face. “We weren’t doing anything, ‘Riss.”

“So sticking your tongue down is nothing. My gosh, I thought you’d have some class. And you…your baby just passed away and you’re already jumping in bed with someone!”

Kim took a step forward. “You know, not that it’s any of your business but Gerald and I aren’t having ,” she whispered the last word knowing exactly where they were. “And yeah, I did lose my daughter. That pain is there with me everyday, and it’s not going anywhere.” She was now right in front of Marissa. “I’m not going to apologize for wanting to move on. Gerald knows what I’ve been through, and he’s helping me through it. How are you helping Michael?” She shot at her.

Marissa glowered at Kim and turned around.

“You didn’t have to do that. We didn’t do anything wrong.” Gerald said.

Kim sighed and smiled at Gerald. “It’s okay. It felt good telling her off, no offense.”

“None taken,” he pushed her hair behind her ear. “So, how did my idea help you?”

Her smile widened. “Good. Really good; I had a lot of fun.” His arm wound around her shoulders and she relaxed in his embrace. “You were great with the kids today.”

“Not as good as you. That smile you put on his face couldn’t compare.” He led her outside. “I told you it’d come naturally.” She was walking towards the car, but he pulled her to the opposite direction. “I was thinking we could walk. It’s a beautiful day, and I love walking in the snow.” She followed him, and heard him groan. “Marissa is going to tell Michael.”

Kim looked up at him.  “So, we kissed. And what’s Michael going to do? He’s married with two kids. He’s back to his normal life.” She chuckled to herself at the thought. “But I wouldn’t mind seeing two guys fight over me.”

They walked inside the apartment and went up the elevator. “I highly doubt it’ll come to it.”

But when they opened the door, Gerald’s doubts came to life. “Michael,” he breathed closing the door behind him.

“I want to speak to Kim alone.”

Kim nodded, and he went upstairs. “Marissa didn’t wait long, I can see. Did she over exaggerate what happened? Say we were rolling around on the floor in front of all those kids?”    

“Kim…”

“Listen, Mike. I’m not n the mood to fight. My day started out pretty bad. I woke up happy…” At the top of the stairs Gerald smiled. “And then I got to the hospital for my one month check up, and you know what happened. It felt like the entire world was against me. Everyone with kids, even the one who took mine.” She took a deep breath and smiled. “And then I saw Gerald, and he picked me up, he held up and he’s still holding me up because he’s been there. I’m not going to apologize for kissing him, I’m not even going to discuss my love life with you because you lost that right when I found out you were married.” She brushed passed him and opened the refrigerator to grab water.

“You may not want to talk about it, but I am. Gerald? At a community centre where people can see.”

She laughed, “I won’t let this ruin my mood, so I’ll tag along. Would you rather me kiss him here and risk you walking in. Wait, you wouldn’t because you never check up on me. The woman who just lost your baby, you don’t care about.”

“I care,” he spat. “I don’t appreciate you assuming I don’t.”

“You want to get into this now?” She asked. “The loss of our baby?” She threw the bottle on the couch and nodded, bringing out the big guns. “Fine, let’s talk about it. You were ashamed of her.” Michael shook his head. “No? You disagree? How many doctor appointments have you been to? Hmm? How about ultrasounds? Baby shopping?”

“I got the crib,” he reminded.

She laughed, “Right, the crib. The one thing that reminded you of me, when you shouldn’t be reminded about the mother of your child!”

Michael sighed, “Okay, you‘re going to need another excuse other than being ashamed and embarrassed, Kim.”

“Fine, you want another excuse? You’re still in love with me.” She declared. 

Gerald’s eyes widened. That theory had never crossed his mind before. But it all made sense, and then Kim explained everything.

“Why would it pain you to come see one appointment? You know I thought it was because Marissa, because she didn’t allow you to come. But then I thought about it, and all the times that we were together. You always told me how much you loved having a family, how many kids you wanted, the type of family you wanted, the family you wanted with me. And then Gerald was there by my side and you felt threatened. Isn’t that why bought the crib?” Michael remained quiet. “You bought the crib because you wanted to be a part of Ysabelle’s life, because you wanted to be the one she called Dad. Reality set in for Mike, you wanted my family. And then she died,” Kim swallowed the lump in , and Gerald was there. He became the person you were to me. He became my rock. You couldn’t stand it, so you kept your distance. Maybe somewhere along the line, if you didn’t see it, it wasn’t real.”

Michael shook his head rapidly, “You have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“I do, Michael, because that was me. That was me when I first found out about Marissa, that was me when I found out I was pregnant. You forced me to move on, and I did.”

“Gerald,” he spat. “My best friend. How could you do this to me?”

Kim tilted her head. “That’s just it, Mike. I didn’t do it to you. I did it for me. He makes me happy.”

“I made you happy.” Michael said.

“You’re married. The men I kiss after you have nothing to do with my broken heart that you caused. Don’t make this a bigger deal than it is. We like each other, Michael.” She walked towards Michael with sympathy, knowing what he went through. “You’re married,” she repeated. “Just go back to your wife.” Kim pulled him into a hug, something that showed she wasn’t mad anymore.

Michael held her in his arms, missing her and the way she made him feel. When she tried to pull away, he held on. “Kim,” he whispered.

Kim tired to pull away, “Mike, stop.” She warned. “Michael let go,” she desperately tried to push him off of her.

“Please,” Michael begged, and then pressed his lips to hers.

Kim used her strength to push him off of her and slap him. “Get out.” She said.

Gerald heard the slap from the top of the stairs and ran downstairs. “Get out,” Gerald opened the door for him.

Michael laughed and put his hands on his hips. “Or what?”

“Do you really want Marissa to find out about this?” He threatened.

“Marissa is your best friend, you wouldn’t hurt her.”

“Right, because that’s you’re job.”

Kim sighed feeling something coming. “Michael, it was just a kiss, now leave.”

“Michael now.”

He continued to laugh, “Are you guys having ?”

“No!” Kim yelled. “We’ve just kissed. It was after Darling’s wedding, and we kissed.” She admitted.

“Are you dating?”

“For goodness’ sakes,” Gerald said. “Just get out of my house, Mike.”

He pointed at Gerald, “We’re supposed to be friends. How could you do this to me?”

“Right, because I like Kim because you dumped her. Has it ever occurred to you that I began liking her when she moved in? That I kept it quiet because she was pregnant with your baby? Well, she has no ties to you anymore, Mike. She’s free to see anyone she wants. You on the other hand kiss Kim when you’re still married?”

“You kissed her again?” Marissa said standing outside the door.

Kim pushed past Michael and walked in between the . “Okay, that’s it. You guys need to leave.”

“Gerald,” Marissa said. “He kissed her?”

Gerald shrugged and looked at Michael. “Ask your husband.”

“You sleep with my husband, get pregnant, hook up with my best friend and then kiss my husband again.” Marissa blamed Kim.

“Excuse me? Okay everybody listen up! This is happening way too fast. I lost my baby a month ago, and as for the whole affair, you know I had no idea that you existed. And I broke it off the second I found out. It was Michael who pushed me to live with Gerald. And yes, I’ve been attracted to him. He’s been there, for the thousandth time, Gerald’s been there. He’s been with me for nine months, okay, it’s only natural that we feel this way. And as for this kiss, Michael kissed me and I stopped it. I even slapped him!” She explained. Kim turned to Gerald. “I can’t do this. This is too weird. Tomorrow morning, I’m looking for a new place. Obviously there’s people against us, so there’s just no point.”

“Thank God,” Marissa sighed. “And don’t bother coming home,” she said to Michael, who followed her out.

Gerald shut the door and took a deep breath. “That was interesting.”

“First day in a relationship,” she chuckled. “About what happened with Michael…”

He shook his head, and pulled her into a hug. “You slapped him. Good sign.”

“I wouldn’t do that to you. Even if what we have between us is just a few kisses.”

He dipped his head and sealed his lips over hers. “It’s not just kisses,” he assured her. “And for the moving out part,” his voice went up an octave for hesitation.

Kim smiled, “Don’t worry, buddy, I’ll still come and visit,” she smiled.

He laughed, “I was counting on it.” He kissed her once again, reminding her that he was the reason for her smile, and that he cared about her more than she’d ever know.