Happy Ever After

Unplanned [completed]

Three months later, and the week was finally here. This last week was crucial for many things – they needed to finalize wedding details, get the tuxes, the dress altered, pay the deposits, speak with the priest, get the RSVPs calculated and make sure that everything – absolutely everything – was in order. Nothing was going to go wrong, and Gerald made it his mission to make it possible. They even made a down payment on a house which the furnishings would be a present from Gerald’s family. It wasn’t their details about the wedding that were to be made final, but their details about their upcoming life. They waited five years for this day, and they would make sure that this wait to their wedding and their life would be made worth it.

The morning of, Kim was in the bridal room in the church finishing doing her hair and makeup. Marissa and Darling were both in her room watching her. “You look different,” Marissa mentioned.

Kim laughed, “Maybe because I’m getting married, and I look happier,” she proposed.

“No, ‘Riss is right. You do look different.” Darling chimed in.

Kim shrugged it off, “It’s just bridal beauty. Everyone says that about brides. You no longer see my as just Gerald’s friend; and being some of the most important people in his life, you now consider me family.”

The two women agreed. It did make sense. “Okay, I’m going to go check on downstairs. Oh, and the planner said your mother is downstairs,” Darling said. “She wanted to speak to you before you walk down the aisle.”

“Oh.” She said hesitantly. Kim did see her mother about a month ago, and really just asked for Kelly’s participation in the wedding. Emma and Kelly were going to be the two flower girls. Kelly didn’t do anything wrong, and she had a part of her daughter, also Kelly was her half sister. “Sure, you can tell her to come up. I’m going to change.”

Marissa stopped Darling. “You stay, and I’ll go. I don’t want to be here for the showdown. Everyone knows I get heated in an argument.”

Darling helped Kim step into Pnina gown and tied the corset halfway until a knock opened the door. Their heads turned and saw Lilly’s hand clutch her chest. Kim turned her look back to the mirror. “Darling, do you mind?”

Darling smiled and walked out.

“You look absolutely beautiful. Just like an angel.” Lilly said staying by the door.

“You can come in.”

Lilly did so. “So are you nervous? I was nervous when I was getting married to your father. And it sort of goes away with the third or fourth wedding,” she chuckled.

“Well, I plan on going to only one of my weddings – this one.” Kim said. “Is Kelly ready?”

“Yeah, they’re introducing her to Emma. They look so cute together.” Lilly said, walking behind her and telling Kim to turn around. She took the laces behind the dress and began pulling it through the holes, finishing up what Darling started. “I’ve always dreamed of doing this to my daughters, being there on their wedding day, crying.” She laughed. “I even brought my own box of tissues.”

Kim held onto the sides of the mirror for some stability. “I dreamed about this day too. I dreamed that my mother would be here and she’s have this amazing pep talk about marriage and some advice to give me. I’ve actually stopped dreaming when you divorced Dad. You know I can’t even contact him, so I’m walking down the aisle myself.” She sighed, “I promised Gerald I’d put all the anger behind me, so that’s it. I’m done, I just needed to say that.” Lilly finished tying the back and looked at her through the mirror. “Mom, I don’t hate you. I did, but over the last couple of years, I’ve grown into someone that I can be proud of, and as much as it pains me to say it, I’m here because you left me.”

“You know, I found out I was pregnant with you about three hours before the wedding, and I was freaking out. When I told your father, he was ecstatic. We always wanted a big family, and it was about to start. That day was the happiest of my life, I thought. But it wasn’t, because I had you. The day you were born, I was scared, but good scared. And when they put you in my arms and you looked at me…” she sighed and made a gesture with her hands. “Nothing compares to what happens when your first born looks at you for the first time, and that was my best day. But when I look at you right now, honey you are so beautiful, and it’s bittersweet. You know, I’m happy to say that you did this all without me, but then I think you did this without me. Seeing you today, marrying the man you love, it’s the best success a parent has, and I want you to know that I’m so proud of you. I’ve been a horrible mother, but you achieved something that I could never achieve. You are every mother’s dream, and be proud of that. You never needed me, you think you did, but if I was there, you never would’ve met Gerald, you never fell in love, and you wouldn’t be here. You did this all by yourself.”

Kim spun around and hugged her mom. “Thank you. I think I just needed to hear that.”

Lilly dabbed her eyes with a kleenex. “First of many,” she teased. “Look, the real reason why I’m here is because I wanted to give you something.” She went into her clutch and took out a box. “Your father gave it to me the night before to the wedding so I could wear it, and I promised myself that one day it will come to you.”

Kim opened the box and gasped quietly. “It’s beautiful.” It was blue sapphire earrings with two matching hair pins.

“It could be your something old and something blue,” Lilly said, helping her put it on.

Marissa opened the door, “It’s time.”

Kim chuckled nervously. “Okay, I’m getting married.”

“Congratulations.” Lilly whispered, before making her way to the door.

“Mom!” Kim called. “I don’t have anyone walking me, giving me away. And um…I’d like it if it was you.”

Lilly walked back to hold out her hand and Kim grabbed it. “I’d be honoured.”

Pachelbel’s Canon was playing in the Church and the predecessors all found their place near the altar. Kim could feel Lilly gently pulling her toward the aisle, and then she saw Gerald standing there in his Marines uniform.

Gerald looked down the aisle and at first didn’t even recognize Kim. She was staring at him with sweetheart ball gown that accentuated all the right things. He gave her an up-and-down look twice, just taking her in. No one looked so beautiful, so breathtaking in his life, and she was all his. He smiled at her.

Kim returned the smile as she made it one-quarter, half way, three quarters down the aisle. The priest and Gerald walked to them and asked who was giving her away, and Lilly answered.

Gerald took her hand in his and brought to his lips before making it back up to the altar.

When Kim looked back at the Church, she didn’t realize how many people were there. She needed to look back at Gerald for that little comfort, which was one of the reasons they were here today.

The priest went on with the ceremony and said her favorite bible passage from Corinthians. There were obviously no objections, and so it progressed to the vows. The two of them stuck with the traditional vows, and repeated them to each other. The priest then did the exchange of rings, and final prayer and blessing, and it was their favourite part of “you may kiss the bride.”

Gerald smiled and went for it, sealing their vows and promises with the kiss of life.

The reception went smoothly. They did their grand entrance and danced their first dance together. The speeches were made as dinner was being served, and the cake was cut.

But before the partying started, Gerald stood with Kim as he held her hand and asked for everyone’s attention. All 350 guests turned to face them. “Now before we let you all loose around the estate, we just wanted to say a few words.” He passed the microphone to Kim.

“Well, we all wanted you to know how grateful we are that you were able to make it today on the most important day of our lives. Each and every one of you are so important to us, and somehow led us to where we are today.”

“And because of that,” Gerald continued, “We all wanted you here during our wedding. But also because Kim and I have some news.”

There were different reactions that overlapped and took over the two of them together. “Wait! Wait a minute!” Kim yelled in the microphone and Gerald waving his hands in the air trying to get them all to stop. “We’ve kept it a secret for the past month because we all wanted to tell you here today.”

Gerald grabbed the microphone, “We’re pregnant!” He yelled with excitement.

Cheering exploded throughout the room, the kind that could break glass. Gerald’s parents came up and grabbed Kim to hug her. “We’re not finished,” Kim said, still under Evangeline’s arm. “I’m about a month pregnant…with twins!” She laughed.

Again, screams and cheers erupted, everyone wanting to grab hold of them and wish them the best of luck. It was exactly what her mother said earlier, this day couldn’t get any better. She was married to the one person she loved more than anything, and her dream came true where their family they always wanted was happening and growing. This was the best day of both their lives.