Stops Now!

Unplanned [completed]

Kim arrived downstairs the next morning with a new found energy. "So ever since the ultrasound yesterday, it occurred to me that we didn't even start on the nursery. So I spent the entire night writing down a list of everything we need like a crib and a changing table and a dress and I always wanted a rocking chair and books and clothes!" She looked at a distant and sad-looking Gerald. "Is something wrong? Did something happen?"

"Nothing you need to concern yourself with," he turned his back.

"Gerald, I can see it's bothering you. Talk to me," she urged.

He scratched his head, "My sister just called. My grandmother passed away last night."

She covered , "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry." Kim put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

He feigned a smile, "So what about that list? We should get started."

Despite the persistence to change the subject, she saw passed it and could see the hurt. "No, it's okay. You need to be with family. I can do this on my own, or some other time. Look, you should go to your sister and see you parents. This can't be a good time for them."

He agreed with her, but only one thing was stopping her. "Will you come with me?"

Kim was touched. She smiled, "Sure, not a problem."

Gerald took her coat, and he drove in silence to the main house. "You grew up here?" She asked, looking at the estate.

"It was my grandmother's," he led her to the foyer and his sister ran out into his arms. He grabbed her mid-stride and held her. Kim stepped back and could feel the love they had for each other.

“She’s was okay,” her voice was muffled against his shoulder. “She was awake and she was eating and she was talking,” she continued crying. “She asked me to go, she just wanted us to leave.”

Kim could see Gerald’s eyes water and really see all his walls break down. Everything she knew about him, all the strength vanished at this particular moment. He was human, he was vulnerable and he needed someone.

Gerald walked to the door, and Kim followed obediently. The house was amazing, straight out of a movie. But nothing about the house could hold her attention, it was the people inside it. A woman who looked about fifty was crying alone in what looked like a library, and a man of the same age was praying the rosary next to a statue of the Mary.

The young woman in Gerald’s arms went to meet the older woman in the library. Kim walked close to him, “I can wait in the car, if you’d like,” she said.

He grabbed her hand and she squeezed it, knowing he couldn’t say the words aloud. He pulled her into the living room and he stood by the large window. She stood beside him in silence, watching his lips quiver and his eyes continue to water, except nothing escaped.

A few minutes later, the rest of the family walked in, and Kim pushed him to go to his family, and she stayed standing. The first person he went to was his mother whose crying seized. “Are you okay, sweetie?” She asked, wiping his eyes and kissing his cheek.

He nodded as he shook his father’s hand. Kim could tell that there was a distance between them. He didn’t look at him the way he looked at his sister and his mother.  They all took a seat on the couch, and his sister walked to Gerald and sat against him. “I can still hear her voice. She was planning the big wedding, looking in at the menu,” her voice broke.

Gerald kissed her head. “I know she’d be smiling that we’re all in this room together. It’s been years since we’ve all been here together.”

“Dad?” It was the first he addressed him. It’s a good thing he still called him Dad.

The old man possessed a distant glance. Gerald got up and walked closer to the chair, kneeling in front of him. “Dad?” He repeated.

He looked at Gerald and smiled. “Do you know…out of everyone in this family, you remind me most of your grandmother. You have her strength and determination.” His father rested his hand upon Gerald’s cheek. “You have her eyes.”

At that moment, Kim could see Gerald’s heart open. “It’s a good thing you didn’t get shot to death over there. She was so happy when she heard you came back. She would be so proud of you. She adored you.”

“I’m grateful for that,” he answered.

“I bet Grandma would’ve liked to meet Kuya’s lady friend,” his sister said staring at Kim behind her.

All eyes were now on Kim and she took a step back, but found a barrier which some people called a wall. “Oh, I didn’t even see you there. This must be awkward.” His mother said.

Kim stepped forward and smiled weakly. “I’m Kim, Gerald’s friend. I am so sorry for your loss. I can see hoe much you all loved her.”

Gerald went to Kim’s side and put his hand on the small of her back. “Um…I asked Kim to accompany here.”

“Did you want any refreshments, dear?” His mother stared at her growing stomach in shock.

“It’s not Gerald’s,” she answered the silent question. Though it wasn’t heard, she sensed the relief. “I’ll just wait in the car.”

“Actually, we should get going. Mom, I’ll call you later.” He kissed everyone goodbye and shook his father’s hand, which was pulled into a hug.

The small and intimate family scene tugged on her heart strings. She gave one last awkward smile towards the family, and followed Gerald out. He opened the door for, but paused in front of him, “Are you sure you don’t want to stay? You didn’t exactly stay long…I’ll wait with you if you want,” she suggested.

He shook his head, and waited until she got in. Instead of going to the mall, he drove back home and she didn’t protest. Gerald collapsed onto the chair and closed his eyes.

Kim’s feet were getting tired and so she sat next to him. “Are you sure you’re okay?” She asked. “Can I get you something? Should I make a cup of tea? A sandwich maybe?” Gerald didn’t answer, but could hear her own stomach growling. Despite her exhausted body – she could stay active for more than a hour or two without feeling the ache – she got up and walked to the kitchen.

A few minutes later, she returned to see Gerald sitting upright. “I made you something,” she offered him the sandwich.

“Thanks,” he said taking it. “Are you okay? Are you tired?”

She shrugged, “I’m okay. You know, maybe you could go see your family tomorrow again? I know that when something’s wrong, its comforting to be with family in a time of need, you know?”

He sighed a big breath and rubbed the patch of skin underneath his lip. “My grandmother – Ysa - never told me what to do; she never even asked me to visit her.” He said. “But when I did, she was very glad to see me. And I bought her peppermint candy once.”

She chuckled silently, “I can’t picture you buying candy, let alone peppermint candy,” remembering when she first moved in, the only thin he had in his fridge was beer, orange juice and apples.

He smiled, “I stole them.” He admitted. “I was working this one job, delivery on a pier and there was this box which busted open,” he said. “There were boxes of candy. So I took one out, and repacked the crate. The next day, Darling came to me and she said that Lola was sick. So I went to visit her.” He stared into Kim’s eyes and felt a rush of comfort. She smiled, encouraging him to go on. “And we sat in her kitchen eating a lot of peppermint candy,” he smiled.

“She asked me how I was living, and I told her about my decision to join the army and she said how proud she was of me,” he continued. “She told me about her brother who died in World War II…and I remember her voice was so sad. And I realized how much she missed even though he’s been dead for years. She told me that’s how it was with love; that the heart had a long memory.” His gaze drifted away into one of them.

Kim couldn’t help but feel tears trickle down her cheek. She’s never met this woman, she’s never even heard of her until today, but the love she had for her family and the reciprocated by them was unbelievable. And she a part of it, witnessing the love first hand. She could only wish that she would love her child as much as this family did. And she couldn’t believe the words coming out of until they were out. “Since we know the baby’s a girl…what if we name her Ysabella? And Ysa for short, in memory of your grandmother?”

Gerald looked at her in awe, “You’d want that?”

She smiled, “I just feel like she’d be another Ysa Anderson. And maybe your grandmother would be like a guardian angel for her.”

“I know my grandmother would love for the baby to have her name,” she said.

The next couple of days, Kim watched him prepare for the funeral. She helped pick out a suit and on the day of, fixed his tie in the morning. “You look dashing. I’m sure grandmother thinks so too,” Kim said, resting her hand upon his cheek. “A lot of people loved your grandmother, everyone in town knew her. Even Marissa and Michael. I’ve been around town, and not one single person could say anything bad about her.” She smiled, trying to make him feel better. “You know, that’s a good way to go. She lived a life which she could be proud of. And I’ve never met her, but for the past couple of days, I think it’s an honor for me to even know about her. She left loved, cared for, and she will always be remembered by the people she loved, including you.”

“And your baby.” He put his hand on her stomach.

She nodded, “I just have to make sure I raise her right. I didn’t know Lola Ysa so…”

“I’ll be here,” he promised. They shared a moment of glances that exploded deep within each of their souls. “Are you sure you don’t want to come?”

Kim nodded, “I don’t want to intrude. I mean, I didn’t know her and I barely had a formal introduction with everyone, and Michael and Marissa are going to be there.”

“I want you there,” he blurted out. “I don’t know why I just said that.” He chuckled and looked away embarrassed.

His admission touched her. She knew it couldn’t have been easy for him to say those words, and she couldn’t refuse him. “If you could find me something to wear, I would love to go.”

Back at the estate, Gerald waited outside his sister’s room while Kim and Darling got ready. “So Gerald isn’t the father?” Darling asked, curious about the growing bump on Kim.

She shook her head, “No. It’s…um…it’s Michael’s,” she said. Her eyes went wide. “I knew I’d get that reaction. Um…Michael and I were involved, but I didn’t know he was married. He didn’t tell me that part of his life, and when I found out about the marriage, it was too late. I was already into the end of my first month.”

Darling raised her eye brows, “So, Marissa must hate you.”

Kim laughed, “I think hate is a strong word, but appropriate. She did call me a in front of an entire diner, so…”

“Wow. But where does my brother get into this?” She went behind Kim to do up the zipper.

“Um…I met Gerald a couple of months ago through a party, and he invited me over a couple of days later, and that’s where everyone found out about me. Marissa would kill me before I moved into her place, but Michael wanted to be involved and Gerald was next door with a spare bedroom and for some reason, he offered me. Well, it was more pushed me, but that’s another story.” Kim explained. “And I’ve been there ever since.”

“So you guys aren’t romantically involved?”

Kim jumped to defense. “No! No, no, no.” She said. “Not romantically involved. The closest I’ve been to him was this morning when I put on his tie and touched his cheek, but other than that, no. And I’m pregnant with his best friend’s daughter; it’d be weird. Also, I think it’s good that I’ve sworn off men for a long time.” She laughed.

“I admire you. Most women would’ve probably taken the easy way out. I don’t know what I would’ve done in that situation.”

“I’ll admit, it was a standing option for the first couple of weeks, but…I could never take a life because of my mistakes. Having her was the best decision that I’ve made in a really long time. And everyone just keeps telling me how great of a father Gerald would be, so I am willing to get his help.”

Gerald knocked on the door and took a deep breath. “The limo’s here. Darling, Mom’s waiting for you. I’m going to ride with Kim, so I’ll meet you at the Church.”

Darling nodded and gave Kim a wrap for her shoulders. “It gets cold in the Church.”

Gerald held out his hand, “Are you ready?”

She took it, “Yeah.” Kim offered him a reassuring smile.

They arrived at the Church and Gerald led her to a seat in the front, but behind the family. The service was beautiful. Gerald’s sister sand Angels, and all the children of Ysa said eulogies. Kim had to take out a couple of tissues to keep herself in check, and she would give Gerald’s hand a squeeze whenever she saw his mind drifting.

After, Kim stood next to him at the burial and was a willing participant when Gerald pulled her closer. That’s what they became to each other. They’ve become each other’s rock, each other’s person to hold on to and lean on.

As she stood there under Gerald’s arm, she took a glance over to Michael across from her. He was staring back at her with a somber expression and a hint of something she wasn’t familiar with. Of course the somber was for the death of someone he considered family, but that something else could almost pass for jealousy. And in return, he pulled a crying Marissa into an embrace. She thought she would run away into the car, but instead she felt nothing; not jealousy or anger – she was indifferent.

“How are you holding up?” Kim asked, rubbing his back with her fingers.

“Thanks,” he sniffed. “It means a lot that you were here with me.”

“Hey,” Darling came behind Kim. “Are you guys coming to the reception?”

Kim looked at Gerald and shrugged. “I’m not sure if I’m allowed…” she said.

“Of course you are. You’re here with Kuya Ge, and I’m inviting you as a friend.” Darling watched Kim scope out Michael. “Look, today is not about the four of you. It’s about celebrating my grandmother’s life. And she would’ve liked to have met you,” she winked.

Kim nodded. At the reception, she was at a table with Gerald, Michael, Marissa, Darling and her fiancé. Most of the lunch was quiet, except for the little side conversations everyone had. Kim could feel Marissa’s glare on her.

“So, have you guys thought of a name yet for the little bundle of joy,” Marissa asked.

Gerald smiled at Kim, “We’ve decided to name her Ysabelle; Ysa for short, like Lola’s.” He answered.

“Aw, that’s so nice. She would’ve loved that,” Darling gushed.

“You’ve never met her,” Marissa reminded everyone. “You’re going to name your daughter after a complete stranger; someone you’ve never even heard of until a couple of days ago?” She scoffed.

“’Riss,” Michael whispered in a warning tone. “Don’t start.”

She ignored her husband, “I saw you at the burial, stealing towards my husband. Getting under Gerald’s arm, crying, after Michael pulled me against him. Wow, how pathetic, you’re settling for the best friend because you can’t get the real thing.”

Kim was in no position to argue. Everything that was being said was false, but she wasn’t about to start a fight at someone’s funeral. She sat there and stayed quiet. “What? No snappy come back? Why won’t you tell everyone in this room whose your baby’s daddy. I’m sure that’ll make Lola Ysa proud of her namesake; her name being given to bastard child.”

Kim closed her eyes and took deep breaths, just like the doctors been showing her. Except it wasn’t working. Her breaths were coming out in short gasps, and she could begin to feel it. She leaned forward, holding onto her stomach. Gerald’s hand on her back, rubbing it gently. “Kim?” He said, his voice quiet and concerned.

“Oh, please. Pregnancy pains,” she assumed in a harsh manner.  “Get the sympathy vote, right? Because when the truth comes out everyone would be on my side?” Marissa kept on going.

“Shut up Marissa!” Darling said. Everyone in the room went silent.

“Kim?” Gerald’s voice demanding an answer.

Kim shook her head and took a deep breath before letting it all go. “I’m fine.” Her voice broke. Bastard child was all she hear. “I’m going to go home,” she said. “Thank you for inviting me, Darling. The service was amazing, and I’m sorry for your loss.” She stood up, and walked out with her head down.

Darling glared at Marissa, “Great. You made another event that had nothing to do with you, all about you. You know, Kim already told me the truth. How your husband was the one who got her pregnant. She didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Excuse me?” Marissa said appalled.

“You heard me. Maybe you should’ve told Michael to keep his pants on since he had a family at home. Or you should’ve given him what he wanted so he didn’t have to go look somewhere else. And it’s not Kim whose looking for sympathy votes, it’s you. You’re the pathetic one,” Darling followed Gerald outside the hall.

They found Kim sitting down on the steps with her head against the wall. Her eyes were closed once again, and it looked like she was counting. Darling was the first to bend down towards her. “I’m so sorry. Marissa’s a . She had no right to say those things to you.”

Gerald took a seat beside her, and put an arm around her shoulders. “Let’s just go home.” He suggested.

“She’s right. I’m naming a bastard child after a woman whose loved by so many people,” she muttered. Her hands covered her face as she wept.

Gerald pulled her against him, and kissed the top of her head, “Come on, let’s just go home.”

She shook her head and looked up. “No. You need to stay here with your family. I’ll call a cab, its fine. I’m going to be fine. I promise,” she smiled weakly. “Go,” she pushed him up.

After watching Kim get into the cab, he walked back inside the hall. At the table, he stared hard at Marissa.

“Did she go home?” Michael asked.

“Let me get one thing straight – your y attitude towards Kim stops now. I don’t care that you’re angry. I don’t care if your husband impregnated her; I don’t even care if you’re upset by the situation. Kim is pregnant and Kim is staying. She has no one – she has no friends, she has no family here. The one thing she does have is me. I’m the one there when she wakes up, and I’m the one there when she cries herself to sleep at night.” Marissa’s gaze lowered ashamed. “I’m the one who sees her put herself through hell. You’re angry that she’s pregnant. How about thinking about how she feels? She’s the one who has to go through this alone. She’s the strongest person that I know, and she’s the bigger person for walking out today. She wanted to leave, but I asked her to stay. She is here because I asked her. So this little drama, this little revenge plot you have for her – to put everyone against her – stops now. Do you understand me?” Marissa didn’t answer. “Do you understand me?!” He banged his fist on the table, causing everyone to jump and stare.

“Yes,” Marissa answered quietly.

He kissed Darling’s forehead, “I’m going to go.”

She nodded, “Take care of Kim.” She said.

“I’m the only one actually taking responsibility to do that,” he answered, staring at Michael.