Chapter 16

Sequences

A growl of frustration escaped his mouth, his fists tightened as he reached for his long forgotten phone on the dresser, and seconds after, he put it down back. Seems like the mental battle he was having had his mind occupied all the night. He casted a glance outside the window, to the beautifully set up garden themed wedding party, and to the people who wore smiles on their faces. His gaze dropped down to his tight clasped fist.

"Is this really what you want?" he muttered a rhetorical question to himself.
 
He ran his fingers through his dark hair, again, letting his growl of frustration escaping his mouth. A sudden intrusion surprised him when his phone rang. In a split second he rushed towards the dresser and looked on the caller ID. Doojoon.
 
"Yah. Is the groom running away?" as soon as Kikwang picked the phone up Doojoon's voice struck into his hearing. 
 
"Hyung..."
 
"Something happened with you? Where are you, Kwang?" Doojoon's heard slightly anxious.
 
"Nothing. I'm in the cottage, just... feeling a bit unwell. I'll be outside soon."
 
Then Kikwang hung up the phone. 
 
He let out a deep big sigh as he leaned on the dresser. Once he stepped out he knew he wouldn't be able to go back, to meet Chaerin again. The thoughts of running away had been popping out in his mind, and it tickled him, he could have just ran and left everything but he snapped it away. He had hurt Chaerin, and he didn't want to do so to Jihye. He didn't want to break her anymore, Jihye had lost everything because of him.
 
Kikwang slowly stood up and fixed the creases on his suit. With one last glance to himself on the mirror, he got his mind made up. Maybe a phone call wouldn't hurt. He promised it would be the last.
 
His fingers running on his phone's keypad, dialing a familiar number that he remembered the most. He didn't know if she changed it already though, but he decided to give it a try.
 
Waiting for the other line to answer, his heart beat rushed.  
 
Seconds felt like years for him. When there was finally an answer, he was astounded to hear a low toned voice which he assumed belongs to a man instead of her usual voice. 
 
"Hello, who is it?" 
 
"Chaerin?" Kikwang hesitantly asked the person on the other line.
 
"She's not here. Do you have something to say to her, Kikwang?" Junhyung managed to recognize his voice.
 
"No I just...", Kikwang paused for minutes, "Never mind."
 
"By the way, sorry I couldn't come. You okay right?"
 
"Yeah. Is she... okay?" Kikwang walked towards the large window and leaned over it, glancing outside.
 
"She wasn't. Now she's fine though. Seems like she's starting to forget about all of this."
 
"Okay," he bitterly smiled, "What you guys have been up to?"
 
"I'm taking Chaerin out for a dinner."
 
The words coming from Junhyung left him taken aback, "You guys are having dinner?"
 
"Yeah. Kikwang, we're dating," though they couldn't see each other, but Kikwang sure could see Junhyung's ear to ear grin and his voice was contented with glee.
 
"I'm happy for you two," Kikwang felt his mouth betrayed him, his chest felt like it had been daggered million times as those words slipped out of him. 
 
"Kikwang I would love to have a chat with you but we gotta go. She'll be back in five. Congratulations on your wedding, bro."
 
"Thanks. You too, Jun."
 
The line ended but Kikwang stood still, deep in thoughts. A sudden knock on the door snapped him back to reality.
 
"Kikwang-ah..."
 
He quickly slid his phone inside the pocket and rushed towards the door, "Coming."
 
"Man what are you doing here? Guests are coming outside and you're missing from the party. Something's going on?" Hyunseung dragged him out and along the hallway.
 
"Nothing. Just... my head hurts a little."
 
 
***
 
 
Chaerin was busily searching through a pile of papers in front of her, sorting it by the alphabetical order, ones would put on the side of the table, ones would just simply thrown away. 
 
It had been months, almost a year, since that incident. She finally decided to take part in his brother company, even though she needed a little courage from Junhyung and Dongwook to convince herself. She needed a distraction after all. The job was something she was expert in. She was in charge of the display of the collections in their shops and marketing, or basically she was the one who responsible for promoting their products. 
 
She heaved big sigh as she put away the last paper. It was a hectic day for Chaerin, the last time she checked on the clock when she entered her office it was at 11, she didn't  even realize it had passed lunch already. She leaned back and turned her chair around, facing the transparent wall of her office. The view of skyscraper buildings, crowded streets, and the spacious orange sky gave her chills. 
 
Her mind recalled everything that happened months ago. She never heard any from him, nor from Jihye. She wondered how was their life after all the drama that happened. 
 
Chaerin shook those thoughts away, this wasn't the right time to think about that after all. She stood up, picking up the papers she had sorted and walked outside her office to reach Dongwook’s room which was just two floors above her. She pressed the button and waited for the elevator to open. 
 
“Chaerin?”
 
She turned to see who the owner of the familiar voice was. Her facial expression changed as she saw a red haired girl walked her way.
 
“Bom unnie...? How are you?”
 
“Fine. What are you doing here, Chaerin-ah?”
 
“Well uh, this company actually belongs to my step brother.”
 
“Really? That’s such a coincidence. I just came back from meeting my friend who works here. You know Heeyun?" Bom smiled turning her eyes to slit.
 
“Ah... I see. Yeah, we're in the same division.”
 
“By the way Chae, I didn’t see you at the wedding, where were you?”
 
And at the right time, the elevator opened.
 
“Uhm mianhaeyo unnie, I’m really busy and I have to pass these papers now. Maybe we could have a tea together some other time?”
 
“Sure Chaerin, see you later?”
 
She replied with a heartwarming smile and stepped inside the elevator, ending their short encounter with wave of goodbye before the door closed. Chaerin felt glad that she didn’t have to bring that topic up again. 
 
She hesitantly knocked, and went in right after she heard Dongwook answered from inside. 
 
"Chaerin, you're here."
 
She smiled gently and seated herself beside him who was reading a thick book about something she couldn't figure out since it was written with an unknown language to her. 
 
"So what brings you here?" he said looking up from his book.
 
"This. I‘ve sorted all the applicants and these are the ones who made it and close enough to the requirements that we set up."
 
“Close enough? So there’s none of them who fulfils?”
 
“Yeah,” she shrugged.
 
“Then send all the applicants a refusal letter.”
 
“I don’t need an assistant anyway,” she throw the papers on the table.
 
He laughed and ruffled her hair, “It’s Friday Chae, don’t overwork yourself. Go out and mingle, I haven’t seen you with any guy for years.” he sniggered. 
 
"I'm sorry? Are you forgetting you're the reason all of them were backing off?" Chaerin scoffed and crossed her arms.
 
Dongwook laughed even louder. 
 
"But actually... I got something to tell you."
 
"Shoot."
 
Chaerin paused for a couple of seconds, "I'm dating someone."
 
Her brother narrowed his brows and looked inside her eyes, attempting to read into her mind, "Is it Junhyung?"
 
Chaerin's mouth widen in shock, "How do you know?"
 
"Readable," he chuckled in the most annoying way to her.
 
"You know all this time?"
 
He replied with an eager nod, "We should totally go for a dinner together sometime."
 
 
***
 
 
The cold breeze grazed her pale skin, Chaerin pulled her coat to cover herself and clutched to it tighter. It was middle of December and she had to fight with the freezing air while standing outside his apartment, waiting. She looked at her watch in every 5 minutes, and glanced over the lobby through the glassy wall the apartment has to check whether he had came down or not. 
 
"Did I take so long?" an arm s on her shoulder. Chaerin stumbled a bit and steadied herself right away. She looked up to see Junhyung grinning and smiling to the point where his eyes turned to slit. 
 
"I've been standing here centuries ago," she sneered, taking a box out of her bag and handing it to him, "Here, happy birthday."
 
"Thanks. A new scarf!"
 
"It's hand made," Chaerin proudly said. 
 
"Ah I'll definitely treasure this. Can I have a kiss too?"
 
She hit him slightly on the arm. "I'm joking, Chae. Let's go," he chuckled and playfully pulled her closer, causing her to snuggle into his embrace. 
 
Along the way they had been arguing on which restaurant they would eat at, but in the end Junhyung picked the kimchi jjigae restaurant. She could always barely win the argument if it's with Junhyung. 
 
"I still want sushi more," Chaerin pouted as she spooned the kimchi stew into . 
 
"But it's the best kimchi restaurant in town."
 
She rolled her eyes. Watching Junhyung digging in his food causing her to chuckle, she found it amusing that he ate like he never eaten one before. He would once look up to see her who was actually keeping her eyes on him. 
 
They spent the rest of the night by talking each other about how was their week and catching up things, Junhyung would constantly and made a lame joke but Chaerin always ended up cracking. 
 
He walked her home  after taking the bus from the restaurant. Junhyung could have brought his car with them, but he assumed that this would make him have more quality time alone with  Chaerin. He loved the way she snuggled into him, and everytime the cold breeze swept through her skin she tighten her grip even more.
 
"I'll call you tomorrow," Chaerin freed her hands from him and put it inside her side pocket.
 
"Okay."
 
She waited for him to walk away but he just stood there.
 
"Go, what are you waiting for?"
 
"Eh? I'm waiting for you to go inside. Go in!"
 
She smiled, and for the last time that night she leaned in to give him a peck on the cheek. 
 
Chaerin turned away and entered the glassy main door, going straight for the elevator. She stretched herself inside, that was such a long night with Junhyung. The last time she could recall walking that far was months ago. When the elevator stopped she got out and walked towards her door. 
 
Something caught her attention as she was searching inside her bag for the apartment key, a somewhat brown colored paper stuck out from under her door. She bent down and found a brown envelope. No address, no sender's name. She wondered whom that letter belong to? 
 
Assuming it was for her since she found it under her door, Chaerin peeked inside the envelope which wasn't sealed. Before she could know, a bunch of photos, polaroid photos, fell out and in no matter of time all scattered in the hallway. She picked one of them, bringing it closer to examine what the photo was all about. A wave of shock struck her. It was a familiar figure she saw on the frame. That afternoon, the same clothes, here. It was her. 
 
"What the hell is this all about?"
 
She picked another photo, it was her when waiting outside Junhyung's apartment. And another one, showing a picture of her giving Junhyung a birthday present. Another photo when she and Junhyung were eating at the kimchi restaurant, and when they were on the bus stop, when they were on the way walking towards her apartment, and the last photo when she kissed Junhyung for the last time in front of her apartment building. 
 
She looked around only to find an empty hallway. No sign of people's presence. 
 
"This is crazy."
 
She quickly gathered all the photos and brought them inside. The door shut with a loud thump as she was kicking it with her foot, unaware of her balance causing her to stumble a bit. She walked towards the kitchen, reaching for the dustbin to throw those stalker photos away after crumpling all of them.
 
She was so frightened that she forgot to take off her heels. Chaerin could feel her feet were aching from the long walk she had. She brought a cup of hot coffee with her to the living room. Turning on the tv, all the lights, everything that could distract her from all those stalkering pictures. She was trembled in fear, what if that person was still there, in the same building as her? Or worse, what if that person had bad intentions on her? 
 
If she knew Chaerin would've asked for Junhyung to stay over that night. She made a call to him, anxiously waiting for Junhyung to pick up his phone. No answer. She called again, but still no answer.
 
"Dammit Junhyung where the heck are you?"
 
He probably hadn't reached home yet. She took a sip to calm her down, and texted him instead. After awhile she decided to make a call again. Fists clenched tight, Chaerin sunk into the couch hugging her knees waiting for Junhyung to answer.
 
A sudden crack noise coming from the balcony surprised her. She dropped off the phone and turned at the direction where the door connecting to the balcony was opened. The cold night wind brushed against her skin causing her to shiver. Chaerin got up and reached for the door, eyes roaming outside to find anything suspicious. She was scared and quickly closed the door shut.
 
The moment she secured the lock, she heard another noises coming from Minji's room. 
 
"Mingkki-ah?" her voice was shaking because of fear, she grabbed the flower vase for her guard though her hands were quivering. 
 
Before she knew the electricity went dead. Chaerin lost her track and stumbled forward. The vase slipped on her hand and fell hard on the floor, crashed to pieces. The only lights were coming from her balcony and the emergency lamp, and those weren't even enough to help her find a way to reach for her phone. She cursed under her breath while she struggled her way, avoiding the glass to not leave a cut on her skin.
 
Chaerin stopped moving when she heard steps coming closer. Her heart was racing she could hear the beat in the dark silent room. She retreated back and hid behind the table. It was hard for her to keep calm. Chaerin clasped both her hands, breathing in and out the air so slowly afraid to make any sound. She waited, and stayed like that for minutes. The lights suddenly flickered and startled her, causing her to practically jumped from her position. She turned around and eyes widen before everything turned to black.
 
 
***
 
 
 
It was still way too early for him, his eyes were heavy and begging to shut but he didn't have a choice but to fight the urge to sleep, despite the non stop seducing that his pillow had been giving him. The weather wouldn't even compromise with him, it was freezing cold he felt like just snuggling under the warm fluffy blanket. 
 
Lazily dragging his feet, Junhyung walked with the amount of energy he could gain, with the thoughts of a cup of hot coffee would help. He took a sip from the cup in his hand whilst nodding here and there responding to his co-workers greeting. Some of them expressed how they didn't expect to see him in the office this early. 
 
He sat himself comfortably, sighing deeply as he eyed down piles of papers on his desk that had been waiting to be done. Jieun came in after the first knock bringing him another document on her hands. 
 
"What's that?"
 
"Proposal, from Han's group."
 
Junhyung let out a low groan, "Put it down there."
 
"Would you like something to eat or drink sir? Since you came so unusually early I assume you haven't had anything."
 
"Thanks, but another cup of mochaccino will do."
 
"Sure. If you need anything else I'll be right there outside sir."
 
He nodded to her before she disappeared, and propped his head down on the desk, "God give me a minute to..."
 
Jieun suddenly appeared on the door again after knocking once, "Uhm sir, I would like to remind you those papers need to be signed and done by lunch."
 
He grumbled and got up straight, "Fine. Thanks Jieun, you may go now."
 
Junhyung started to look through the papers and put aside everything. He had procrastinated too much and this needed to be finished now. 
 
It was almost lunch time already when he finished, and he gladly put down the last paper before leaning against his chair. 
 
"Yong Junhyung no more procrastination for you."
 
The telephone on his desk rang at the right time, "Yes Jieun?"
 
"Sir, Jang Hyunseung is here."
 
"Let him in."
 
"Sir?"
 
"What again Jieun?"
 
"Have you done those papers yet?"
 
"Yes Jieun pick them up after lunch, I'm hanging up now."
 
Junhyung admitted that she could be irritating sometimes, and today she was getting on his nerves. The door opened for Hyunseung to step inside, he directly sat himself across Junhyung. 
 
"You look miserable."
 
"Thanks," Junhyung replied with a glare.
 
"Ouu don't mess with Dragon Junhyung when he's hungry. Let's eat. My treat."
 
Junhyung felt his stomach sticking to his bone. He just remembered he didn't take anything except the coffee this morning. 
 
"You're so unusually kind. What are you up to?"
 
Hyunseung laughed, "Hey hey you're so suspicious. By the way, did you throw away your phone again or what? You got another creepy stalker? I've been calling you since last night but you didn't answer," he shrugged.
 
Phone? Then it hit him. Junhyung hadn't touched his phone since he left his place to go dine with Chaerin. It must be still in his coat pocket. He reached for it and took it out, eyes widen at the number of missed calls on the screen.
 
"27 missed calls, 5 messages..."
 
"You're quiet popular aren't you? I haven't gotten any messages nor calls since yesterday. Minji's constantly ignoring me."
 
Junhyung laughed at his friend's pitiful sight, "Try harder man."
 
His laugh faded when he saw Chaerin's number on his list, a total of ten missed calls from her. He knew she wouldn't insist to call if it wasn't for something important, or something happened.
 
Hyunseung noticed the change on his face, "What's wrong?"
 
Junhyung right away pressed the dial button to call Chaerin. No answer. He tried again, still no answer. "Dammit."
 
"Hey man what is it?"
 
"Seung gimme your phone."
 
"For what?"
 
Before he could get the answer Junhyung snatched his phone away from his hold, "I need to call Minji."
 
Hyunseung was about to protest but Junhyung shut him up with his fist threatening to kiss his face.
 
"Hyunseung?" Minji's voice was shaky and he could sense something's wrong.
 
"Minji, this is Junhyung."
 
"Oh thanks God that you called. Junhyung someone broke into our apartment and... and Chaerin's nowhere to be seen."
 
 
 
=============
 
 
 
First of all I'd like to say sorry for taking too long to update ;~; I had so much to deal in life and a lot of things happened. But I'm determined to finish this fic, so no matter how long it takes I'll finish this story. Even if some of you got bored already I will still continue this ;u; It's coming to an end anyway. So thank you so much for you lovely readers who drop by to read and leave such nice comments that encourage me to keep writing and hello to new subscribers! I didn't think I'll reach that number, that's pretty much for me you know ;u; I'd gladly accept any of your comments guys \o/ See you at the next chapter! xoxo