Chapter 13

Sequences

Chaerin replied him with a forced smile, not knowing what to say anymore. Kikwang continued to eat his food nonchalantly, as she silently watched him eating. The mere silence was broken when the two of them were about to say something. 

"You go first," she said.

"Chae, I hope you'll come over to my place soon to meet Jihye."

"Y-yeah sure. Tomorrow afternoon, is it okay?"

"Whenever you have the time. I'm glad Chaerin, thanks again."

She nodded awkwardly and took a bite of her macaron that she ordered earlier. Little did she knew, Kikwang had been stealing a glance at her too. There was always an awkward silence between them.

"So when is it?" she said, shot her head up and look at Kikwang's face.

He slightly startled of her sudden question, "Oh yeah I forgot about that. Within a week. It's kind of rush, yeah?"

She replied with a weak smile.

Kikwang straightened his seat and continued, "Jihye's exploding you know? I mean, she's getting bigger. We should get married soon, she said... her reputation is important, so yeah..."

She could no longer respond to him so she just nodded. Another silence was drifted between them. Her mind was still battling about what to say or to do until his phone rang, causing him to jump in shock a bit. Kikwang excused himself to pick up the phone, and as he disappeared from her sight, Chaerin didn't take her gaze off of Kikwang. 

Her head slumped and she shut her eyes tight. Rubbing her temple, she tried to hold back her somehow inexplicable feelings. Disappointed, slight angry, sad, broken-hearted, she didn't really know. 

Then she felt someone tapped on her shoulder, she quickly raised her head up and found Kikwang's concerned face. 

"Chae you okay?"

She fixed her hair, "Y-yeah just a little headache..."

"You sure? I need to go, Jihye is craving for dried mango right now. But, are you really okay Chaerin?"

"O-oh I'm okay. She needs you, you better go now."

Kikwang furrowed his brows.

Chaerin smiled, "I'm really okay. Bye?"

"Okay. Take care, Chaerin-ah..." he replied her smile and waved.

Chaerin watched his figure who was walking outside the café. She was still in a daze until she felt her phone vibrate.

"Yoboseyo?"

"Chae, right here..."

"Wha- who is it?"

"Look over here. Near the entrance."

Chaerin looked up and swept her gaze through the entrance door and saw Junhyung smiling widely while waving his hand. She waved back and unintentionally a smile crept on her face.

"Hey Chaerin. What a coincidence..."

Without any permission he allowed himself to take a seat across her.

"Yeah what a coincidence..." she sneered.

"I'm hungry you want to eat?"

"Nah I'm almost finished."

He shrugged, "Well, I just saw Kikwang. Did you guys...?" Junhyung asked while eyeing the other plate on their table which obviously isn't Chaerin's.

"We met here... he offered to share a table. No it clearly isn't a date. He was just... asking some things."

"Yeah... what were you two talking about?"

There was a brief pause before Chaerin finally answered, "He asked me to be her, Jihye, maid of honor. They're getting married next week."

"I knew it! But... he didn’t mention about asking you to be the maid of honor, he just said he was going to tell you about this. You said okay?"

She nodded. 

"But... why?" he asked bewilderingly.

"Well I couldn't say no okay? I was just... I don't know," she rested her head on her arm leaning on the table.

Junhyung just watched her figure, arching his brows.

"Look. Jun, I know it's stupid because I said yes to be the maid of honor on my ex's wedding. I still can't stand seeing them together but... I have to move on right? I- I guess, I should start from this, accepting their marriage."

He sighed before taking her hands, and looked into Chaerin's slight teary eyes, "You know I'll always be there for you, Chae."


***


Chaerin her favorite music and right after the beat started to play she rushed towards the center of the mirrored room, taking her pose. She moved her body to the rhythm. Pumping, krumping, waving, locking. Her blonde strands covered her face and she swayed it. Her eyes didn’t move any inches from her own figure on the mirror. She watched herself, observing the moves she made. She loved it. She loved how it felt to dance, to let her feelings out, to express her true self outwards. 

The song ended, and Chaerin stood still watching her reflection as her chest heaved up and down catching her breath. Sweats running her forehead down to her neck. And that was when she realized her phone had been ringing for God knows how long. She dashed towards her phone besides the cd player. 

“Yoboseyo?”

“Lee Chaerin finally! What are you doing? I’ve been waiting outside your door for ages!”

“Omo oppa, mianhae I’m in the dance studio I couldn’t hear you. Wait...”

Chaerin hung up the phone and raced towards the front door, not wanting to keep her oppa to wait any longer. Just then she opened the door and saw two figures standing aside. She hugged her oppa and mouthed sorry again then to the person beside him.

“MINKKI-AAAAH!”

She hugged Minji tightly causing her to slightly choke, “Y-yah Chaerin I... can’t... breathe...”

“You didn’t tell me you’re back today. Oppa you didn’t tell me!”

Dongwook just laughed and stepped inside the apartment. Minji released herself from Chaerin’s embrace and followed him, “I’m sorry? I didn’t tell you? I called you this morning and was going to ask you to pick me up at the airport but you were still asleep.”

“So you called my brother,” said Chaerin as she made her way towards the kitchen to make drinks for Dongwook who was now sitting in the living room.

“And oppa didn’t tell me!” Chaerin pouted.

“You were still sleeping, Chae,” Dongwook chuckled.

“Well yeah actually I just woke up half hour ago,” she shrugged as she carefully put down a cup of cappuccino on the table.

“Thanks, Hunchae,” he took a sip of his coffee.

Chaerin smiled, “No problem oppa. Aren’t you going to work?”

“I’ll have meeting by 10.”

“Okay.”

Minji suddenly sat between them on the couch and put down a canvas bag on the table. She poured out all the things inside, “All yours, except that bunny chain. It’s mine.”

“Omoooo Minkki-aahh I love youuuu.”

“Aye girl, you don’t have anything for this handsome man right here?” Dongwook whined.

“Aigo Dongwook oppa, of course I didn’t forget you. This one is for you,” Minji smiled cutely as she took out a small box. It was brown colored and looked expensive.

“Hul! You gave oppa the expensive one,” Chaerin pouted.

“Oh my god Chae, compared to yours this one is just as much as it costs.”

Dongwook chuckled and opened the box, “But it looks expensive. Ooh I love the smell, thanks Minji.”

The latter smiled, “That’s sandalwood. You’re welcome oppa.”

“Aigooo Chaerin ah don’t be jealous. I’ll treat you a galbi dinner next time okay,” she patted Chaerin and winked, “So what happened to you when I wasn’t around?”

“You... got my message?”

“Sure. So what is it?”

“He’s getting married.”

“Who?”

“..... Kikwang....” Chaerin said it in a very low voice that Minji could barely hear it.

“Who? Who’s getting married?”

She leaned even closer to Minji, and whispered “Lee. Ki. Kwang,” directly to her ear.

“OMO!”

“God Minji my ears are hurting. What you girls talking about?”

“I-”

Chaerin cut her off and covered Minji’s mouth, “Nothing oppa. Just one of our high school friend is getting married next week.”

Minji glared her. Chaerin smiled awkwardly to Dongwook.

“Really? One of my colleagues is getting married too next week. You know, Lee Kikwang? Oh that kid, young, handsome, success and having a wife already,” Dongwook said casually as he took another sip of his cappuccino.

“Wait what? But he’s... the one that we’re talking about...”

“Oh he’s your friend? Good. We’re going to the wedding together. Damn how small this world is.”

“Yeah. Oh oppa let me get you something to eat okay.”

“Me too,” Minji followed Chaerin to the kitchen and shot her right away with her sequence of questions.

“Okay Lee Chaerin now tell me. Everything. Details,” she pulled one of the counter chair and sat down.

“First, Dongwook oppa never knew that Kikwang and I were dating these past years. And he didn’t knew that we broke up already. And second. I met Kikwang again. You remember when I told you that he’s Junhyung’s friend? Well, it’s all connected.”

“Whoa slow down there.”

“So... he’s getting married. Because his fiancé, who is Junhyung’s ex girlfriend, is pregnant with his baby.”

Minji’s mouth left hang open as she was bewildered by the words that came out from her.

“I- I don’t understand this...”

“Well so did I. And Junhyung confessed to me...”

Minji squealed and shrieked, “EEEEEEEEK...”

“God! Shut up Minji, he could hear...”

“Oh my. Chae did you say yesss? Please you said yesssss...”

“I don’t know. I still haven’t answered him.”

“What? Wait. You kidding.”

“He gave me time. He knows about me and Kikwang and everything that happened...”

“What happened? Oh you haven’t told me what happened.”

Chaerin heaved a big sigh, “Okay. So this was when new year, at the carnival, I bumped to Kikwang and the girl, Jihye....”


***


Chaerin slumped into the sofa right besides Minji who hugged her knees and repeatedly changing the tv channel. She was the first to speak up.

“Can I kick that Kikwang jerk first? Geez.”

Dongwook was already left hours ago that now they could comfortably talking about it.

“Hyunseung just texted me about coming together to the wedding. I don’t intend to come since I’m not really close to Kikwang... but he forced me to because he said he’s going to be the best man.”

Minji shrugged and rested her back. She turned to the half-sleeping Chaerin, “Are you going to his house this afternoon? Do you really have to go?”

“I have to. I’m the maid of honor, remember?” Chaerin lazily straighten herself up.

“But you could have refused it!”

“Well I couldn’t.”

Minji just sighed, “Alright. I just don’t want to see you cry and that miserable face of yours when crying. Just take care of yourself, ne? I’m going to sleeeeep because I have dance routine this evening.”

She patted Chaerin’s head while passing her and headed to her own bedroom. Chaerin sighed to herself and got up right away. She looked towards the clock and it was half past two already. She knew she had to prepare herself and it was almost the time for her to go. 


***


Chaerin sat on the passenger seat and stared outside the window, seeing that the orange stain starts to replace the blue white sky, while Kikwang just looked forward and drove in silence. He picked her up somewhere they had already planned to meet to drive her to his place.

“So... do you still live in that place?”

“No, I moved out. I live in the suburb. Jihye needs a more peaceful place and the one with fresher air,” he turned to Chaerin and smiled.

“And how long does it take to reach there?”

“Less than an hour of car-driving. You’ll like the scenery, Chae. It’s still natural, Jihye really likes it.”

Jihye likes it, Jihye needs it, Jihye wants it, blah blah blah. Chaerin felt a bit pissed whenever he talked about Jihye like that. Jealous, maybe. Chaerin knew it, but she also knew she just couldn’t. 

She recalled the memories she had a year ago, when they went through a four hours car driving to reach the white sand beach that located kilometers away from the crowded Seoul. With a green mountain and forest-like surrounding that she saw along the trip. She took a lot of pictures of him and herself. They shared a laugh together.

The scenery outside brought back her memories. It was green along the way, and the mere sunlight made it even prettier. Chaerin smiled admiring what she saw.

Realizing it Kikwang smiled, “Pretty right?”

She took the last glance before Kikwang finally turned the car inside a white house, which she later found out that house was Kikwang’s.

“So here we are.”

He turned off the machine and got outside of the car. Followed by Chaerin, he went inside the house. She admired how decent it was and how contented the furniture seemed like. 

A medium long haired girl came out from the kitchen and walked towards Kikwang. Chaerin watched them closely as she hugged him and give him a quick peck on the lips, causing Chaerin to suddenly look away.

“You’re here too early, dinner isn’t ready,” that girl s her arm around Kikwang’s waist and they walked towards the kitchen which has a large window, showing the beautiful garden at the backside of the house. They were totally forgetting another presence there, causing Chaerin to slightly annoyed. She coughed, breaking them apart.

“Oh Ji, this is Chaerin. I brought her here, so that you two can get along.”

Jihye smiled widely, she approached her and hugged her.

“Thank you so much for coming.”

She released the hug and Chaerin couldn’t help but to give her a smile as wide as hers earlier.

“I’ll leave you two okay. I need to make a call to the bridal shop,” Kikwang looked at both of them and disappeared from their sight.

Jihye took Chaerin’s hand and guided her outside to the backyard. Chaerin was really amazed by the scenery. They have a pretty large garden with a lot of flowers, white lilies, white jasmine, tiger lily, lavender...

She felt that she missed out something, “You... don’t have rose?”

“No. I don’t like rose. They’re pretty but dangerous. You know, the thorns. Come here,” Jihye guided them to take a seat.

Chaerin noticed the smile that carved on her face and it seemed like it didn’t want to disappear.

“Are you okay? The last time I saw you, you were really pale and sick.”

She nodded, “Chaerin, I’m sorry the first time we met didn’t leave the best impression. Is Junhyung okay?”

“Yeah, he’s okay.”

“I’m so sorry, Chaerin. For Kikwang and everything. I know you hate me that much, but... I couldn’t help it. It was an accident. I was so stupid...”

Her expression changed from cheerful to a sad one. Chaerin was feeling a bit guilty seeing her smile disappeared. 

“I got kicked out from my house, my father doesn’t want me to be his daughter anymore. I lost my friends and Junhyung thinks I‘m a who cheated on him. Just because I want to give this little angel right here a life...”

Tears started to form in the corner of her eyes as she touched her belly lightly and gently. Chaerin felt the urge to hug her, so she doubtly held out her hands and s it around her shaky shoulders. Chaerin saw a recognizable mark on her wrist. She didn’t want to believe it at first, she grabbed her hands and brought it closer.

“You... cut yourself?”

She weakly nodded and her tears exploded, “I was at the stage of killing myself because... I thought I couldn’t handle all the painful feelings anymore, the mental harassment that I received all that time...”

Chaerin’s heart felt pain. She was feeling guilty. She thought she was the only one who suffered the most. But she was nothing compared to what Jihye had been through.

“I’m glad when he said you accepted to be the maid of honor. My close relatives are forbidden to come by my father. He really hates me right now. Even my sister doesn’t want to pick up my call...” she managed to speak between her sobs.

“Everything’s going to be okay, Jihye," Chaerin patted her back gently.

“Thanks Chaerin. Can I... call you unnie?” she asked hesitantly.

Chaerin chuckled a little, “Yeah... of course...”

A smile crept on her face again, “Gomawo, Chaerin unnie...”

Weird. Chaerin felt weird that she didn't see Jihye as before. It wasn't her will, but she had to take it all as her responsibility and now she had lost everything in her life, her family and friends. She accused herself for being egoist and selfish. 

"Let's go inside or you'll catch a cold. The wind is too strong..." Chaerin helped her to get up and they both went in. 

"How's your baby?"

Jihye's face lighten up, "Fine. Haeum's healthy..."

"Haeum? Is it a girl?"

"I don't know. I hope so."

"Can I touch it?"

"Sure."

Chaerin gently touched her tummy and stared at it intently as if she was really talking to the baby. 

"So... you're coming to the wedding rehearsal the next two days right?"

"Yeah of course, I'll be there."

They now stood in the living room, just stared at each other in silence. Until then Jihye smiled genuinely causing Chaerin to chuckle.

"What?"

"Nothing. I'm just happy everything's turned out good in the end. Are you going now?"

"Yeah my oppa will be worried about me."

Jihye slightly pouted. Kikwang made his way down the stairs and watched the two conversing, he smiled.

"Going home already, Chae?" Kikwang approached them.

"Ne. Dongwook oppa wants to have dinner with me," she lied. She just needed a reason to not stay any longer there. Despite everything she had heard from Jihye, and now her feeling towards her wasn't the same as before, she was still feeling awkward. She needed more time to accept it.

"Ooh I was about to ask you to join us for dinner. I'll ride you home okay."

"No need to, I'll just take the bus. It's okay."

Jihye and Kikwang walked her out until the front gate. 

"You sure?"

"Sure. Bye guys, take care."

"Bye unnie..." Jihye stepped out and hugged Chaerin once more.

She waved goodbye and walked away. Her steps slowly brought her to the nearest bus stop, though her mind was somewhere else wandering. 

She took the last bus to Seoul that afternoon. Luckily she didn't miss it. Her favorite spot would always be at the corner near the window. Chaerin loved to stare outside the window just to admire how beautiful the landscape was, while thinking of something else. She rested her back on the seat. The sun was setting down.

She sighed and shut her eyes tightly. Thinking of all the things that just happened, the things Jihye said, and about everything that had happened in her life. 

Her eyes were heavy. She didn't expect that she would be that tired. The sun was almost vanished behind the horizon as she slowly drifted off to a deep slumber.

 

=======

 

I see new subscribers and readers! ^o^ Hellooo~ Sorry if this chapter seems to be boring but I have to build the relationship between Jihye and Chaerin so yeah -,- To make it easier, this is how Jihye looks like (http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo223/dinkyrhinohead/songjihye.png) since she'll appear more often in this story keke~

Comment please! :)