Chapter 14

Sequences

"This one? What about this? Or that one?" Minji turned around in front of the standing mirror, holding two dresses, which completely different one to another. One of them, was a backless long silky dress with a maroon color. And the other one, a knee-length light yellow dress with no strap. 

"Chae I'm talking to you!" she turned to Chaerin who sat on the bed crossing arms.

Chaerin scoffed, "Are you serious? In case you forget we're going to attend a wedding ceremony..."

"I know! Geez," Minji dropped the two dresses onto the floor and walked towards 'their' wardrobe, searching for another outfit.

She sighed, "Except the party dresses I usually wear to the club... None. What are you going to wear Chae?"

"I'll pick up my maid of honor dress this afternoon, at the bridal shop."

"Great. I'm going with you and I'll get my dress there."

"Okay so... who's going to clear this place then?"

"Alright alright I'll do it..." Minji lazily started to pick the clothes one by one, hanging them back inside the wardrobe. Chaerin chuckled and walked towards their living room.

"I wonder though... why Hyunseung is the best man?" Minji walked pass by Chaerin and covered her face with her white tank, "While he asked you to be the maid of honor?"

"Yah! Ige mwoya!?" Chaerin got up straight away and removed the piece of cloth. Minji passed her again to go to her bed room, "Your white tank I borrowed five months ago," she grinned cheekily.

Chaerin frowned and threw it away, "Yah. Put it back in the wardrobe."

But it ended up with Chaerin helping Minji to put all of her clothes back into its place. "Oh my god..." she walked towards living room and rested her slight aching back on the couch while Minji just laughed inside her room, "Old lady..."


***


"What was the place again?" Minji asked and gazing through the right side of the street.

"Uhm..." Chaerin took out a small piece of paper that a little bit crumpled from her pocket and read the small writing whilst kept driving cautiously, "Bom's Bridal?"

"Ooh there it is," Minji pointed at the shop located near her favorite coffee shop, "I never noticed there's a bridal shop here when buying coffees."

Chaerin parked the car in front of the bridal shop. She turned off the engine slightly chuckled.

"Hey is it famous? I mean, I never heard of Bom's Bridal before," they both got out of the car. Chaerin looked into the window and took a peek inside, and then suddenly Minji pushed the glassy main door open causing the bell to ring.

"Oops..."

"Annyeong haseyo, welcome to Bom's Bridal," a long red haired lady came out and greeted them with her eye smile, "Can I help you?"

Chaerin smiled and glared Minji who directly dashed towards the dresses.

"I want to pick up the maid of honor dress. Of bride Song Jihye..."

She snapped, "Oh come here. I've prepared it, she said you'll come today," the lady grabbed Chaerin by the hand and dragged her to a room that separated from the shop. "What's your name, young lady?"

"Lee Chaerin."

"Call me Bom okay? Now we have to do some adjustment to the dress."

Chaerin looked at where she went to, she took the white dress off of the mannequin, "I had a hard time for adjusting the size because I couldn't measure your size accurately. Mr. Lee did tell me how you are though..."

"Mr. Lee? Kikwang?"

"Yep, he just told me you're like bla bla bla centimeters tall. Here, try on this, I'll fix it later," Bom smiled and handed the dress to Chaerin. 

She walked to the dressing room to get changed. It was a white dress, fell on her knee with ruffles on the chest part and laces. She turned around and saw that it was backless. Though she liked it but the bodice was way too low cut that it slightly revealed her chest. Chaerin hesitantly walked out of the dressing room and saw Bom with an excited look on her face.

"How is it?"

Chaerin crossed her arms in front of her chest, "I... don't feel comfortable."

"Wae?"

"Because of this..."

"Excuse me Bom-sshi I want to check that dress out the- Whoa Chae!" Minji suddenly popped out of nowhere and rushed besides Chaerin, "You can not outshine the bride!"

Chaerin slightly nudged her, "Yah..."

"Chaerin-ah I think there's nothing wrong with the dress... you just can not hide it," Bom pulled her hands away and turned her to face the human sized mirror behind her. 

"All attire designs are picked by Kikwang himself. So I just can't modify it the way you want. It perfectly fits you though," Bom gave her eye smile again.

Just then they heard the front door bell rang and Bom excused herself, "Now if you don't mind, I have another customer and need to leave you two for a while okay," and with that she disappeared to the shop leaving Minji and Chaerin alone in that room.

"Come on Chae, look at you! You're damn hot. I wonder if Kikwang planned it all though. He picked the dress that would perfectly fit on you and then asked you to be the maid of honor... oh my god he still likes you!"

"No way. You're delusional," just like the way I am, but Chaerin didn't say that last words out loud.

"Why no way? They're accidentally getting married, and because of the responsibility that he must take he left you for her, since that girl is prego with his baby," Minji rolled her eyes, "Then he by coincidence met you again, revealed everything to you, and he realized he just can't live without you and he made you stick around him by asking you to be the maid of honor because he still wants to see you..."

Chaerin mouth left hang open seeing Minji talking like that. She just couldn't believe on everything that she had said. 

Minji tapped her head, "Oh my god what did I just say? Chae I'm sorry..."

"It's okay... It's really... Okay."

Without her knowing, Chaerin's eyes began to water. Minji just watched her shaky shoulder from behind. There was this feeling for her to s her arms around Chaerin and hold her in her embrace, but she couldn't, thus she stood still, watching her lightly and silently sobbing. She knew Chaerin. She knew when the time she needed to talk or when she needed some time alone. 

"Minji?"

A voice came from behind, Minji turned around and saw Junhyung leaning on the door. He smiled.

"Junhyung what are you doing here?"

"I'm picking my attire. Bom noona said you guys are here too. Hey what happened to Chaerin?"

Minji just sighed and shrugged, "I'll leave you two."

She went to the other part of the building leaving Junhyung standing baffled. He walked towards Chaerin who stood still and he leaned on the white dresser, crossing his arms. 

"Hey."

She face palmed herself and turned her back to Junhyung, "Hey."

"Well I- Uhm... I'm not going to ask you what happened."

She didn't respond.

"You look great," he got up to approach Chaerin and reached for her shoulder, "Are you sure you're not going to outshine the bride?" he grinned.

Chaerin wiped the left over tear and slightly smiled, playfully hit him and chuckled.

"Why did you agree Chae, if you can't get over it..." he said now getting serious.

The cackle had been disappeared from her face. She looked at his figure through the reflective mirror, sensing his deep stare through it. 

"Aniyo. It wasn't like what you think. It was just... I was just a bit thinking of the non sense things that Minji said, which were probably true by the thought of my delusional self, but the real fact just had to smash all of those vacant hopes and... that kinda hurts."

"Stop anticipating..."

She sighed and nodded.

Junhyung held out his hand and reached for her cheeks, caressing it before he pulled it gently, "Smile."

She pulled the corner of , curving a smile.

"Well that's better," he replied with a big grin.


***


Today is the day. Chaerin had been staring at herself in the mirror, clenching her fist nervously, her heartbeat was unsteady. Her facade was perfect, in fact, she was gorgeous. But her look was the least she worried about. She bit her lip hard, imagining the whole scene that might happen later at the long-awaited occasion. She worried too much, if she would do such stupid mistakes like unintentionally stepping on Jihye's gown.

"Chae, Junhyung's here," Minji showed up at the door.

She just nodded and walked out of her room only to find Junhyung who was sitting in the living room wearing his best suit.

"I guess we would go with my brother?"

Junhyung turned his head to face the standing Chaerin and quickly got up and smiled, "Well, he's going with Hanbyul noona. He said sorry though, for not being able to take you and Minji there."

"Mmkay. Are we going now?"

"Yep. It's an hour of driving and we, nah, YOU have to arrive early."

"Are you serious?" Minji walked from the kitchen holding a cup of coffee still wearing her jogging suit and was drying her hair with a towel, "It's 11 AM right now, while the wedding starts at... 3 PM?"

Junhyung looked at his watch, "Actually... they expect us to show up there before 1 PM."

"Oh ," Minji rushed towards her room right away and shut its door.

"Yah Minji, you can get dressed there. We're going now okay," Junhyung chuckled, "Come on Chae."

She grabbed her bags in her room and followed Junhyung out. Minji hurriedly came out from her room, bringing two big bags with her.

"What?"

Chaerin laughed, "Nothing. Come on..."

It took them less than an hour to reach the place where the wedding held, thanks to Junhyung's driving. Chaerin's adrenaline still rushed and hadn't yet calm down when he carefully parked the car. Her grip had been tightly clutched to the seat belt until she realized that they already arrived at the place.

"Oh thanks God we're safe."

"Fun, right?" Junhyung grinned.

"What fun?" she hit him jokingly, "I was so scared."

"Well, the road was empty..."

"Okay lovebirds, where are we?" Minji popped out from the back seat and dragged her bags along with her.

"You were sleeping, weren't you? We're here, Mingkki."

She looked around, seeing the empty street with a large trees and meadow on both sides, "Used to the hectic Seoul, this place kind of creepy..."

"Why, it's nice," Chaerin walked behind Junhyung then followed by Minji. They're going to enter a white house with a large backyard that had been set up to a nice, pleasant, sumptuous wedding place with a large white tent, white gazebo, and a big violet rose bouquet.

"Oh you guys are here," Hyunseung opened the large glassy main door and greeted them. He walked pass Chaerin and Junhyung and spread his arms to hug Minji, "Minji-ah..."

She squirmed to escape but that made him hug her even tighter, "Ugh Hyunseung get off!"

Minji smacked him violently, causing Hyunseung to winced, "Okay okay... Aw, chill. Geez."

Junhyung and Chaerin watched the two, they laughed.

"Everyone's inside, Jun. Come in. And I'll help you with this," he grabbed one of Minji's bag and smiled.

Hyunseung and Minji stepped inside, leaving Chaerin and Junhyung outside still standing at the porch. Chaerin hesitated at first, her hand squished Junhyung's. Realizing it, he turned to her, "Chae?"

She smiled, "I'm okay. Let's go."

They both got in and saw several people passed by from one room to another, holding stuffs and decorations. 

"Junhyung-gun, Chaerin-ah..."

A voice greeted them from behind. They saw a girl with a cute small face and short curly hair smiling at them.

"Oh Dara unnie, annyeong haseyo," Chaerin bowed to the older woman.

"Well well we don't have much time, you follow me to dressing room Chae. Junhyung, to the backyard," she grabbed Chaerin by the arm, leading her upstair and to the end of the corridor. Dara opened the wooden door, revealing a room which decorated in all white.

"Unnie I think the corset is too tight, I can hardly bend my body," Jihye exclaimed as she examined herself through the mirror. Bom reached for the back of her wedding gown and zipped it down, "Wait I'll figure out how..."

"Chaerin unnie, you made it here," Jihye turned around right away as she made her way towards Chaerin, causing Bom to nag, "Yah Ji, I'm not done yet..."

"Uh uh, you back there. I'm going to do her make up first okay," Dara playfully pointed her finger at Jihye, while the latter pouted and dragged her feet back to Bom.

"Noona I need the red rose- Oh hey Chae, you're here," Kikwang barged in without knocking.

"Oh God..." Dara rolled her eyes and heaved a big sigh, "I haven't picked up the bridal bouquet and veil too! Kikwang, would you?"

"I can't, I'm not done with the attire."

"Well ask one of the boys."

"But they're busy with decorations down there."

Dara started to race back and forth in the room, "Then who??"

Chaerin stood up, "I'll go."

"But Chae-" Kikwang was about to stop her but got cut off by Dara, "Great you go."

"Noona!" Kikwang glared her.

"It's okay Kwang, I'll go. Unnie where is it?"

"Two blocks away from here, you'll see a tea shop, the one with yellow crysan hanging on the door. Ten minutes by walking. Just tell someone there you know me."

She nodded and walked towards the door, until Kikwang called her.

"Chae?"

Chaerin turned around, "Yeah?"

"Take care."


***


Chaerin couldn't believe that she agreed to go. She could have said no, but she didn't. Now there was she, walking down the street at the place she barely knew. She clutched tighter to her varsity jacket that she borrowed earlier from Hyunseung, whom she met in front of the house minutes ago, to cover her slight revealing dress and to cover herself from the cold breeze. She didn't even realize that the sky turned cloudy.

It had been seven minutes, but she didn't seem to find the shop that Dara meant. She saw a pastry shop, florists, but no tea shop. 

"I'm sorry, do you know the nearest tea shop ahjumma?" she asked an old lady who happened to pass by.

"You're going the wrong way, young lady. It's on the other side of the street. Just walk five minutes more."

Chaerin bowed and smiled, "Thank you."

She walked across the street and started to roam.

When she felt her feet bruising, Chaerin sat on the wooden bench and took off her heels. 

"Damn it..." she saw a red mark on her pale skin.

Chaerin took out her phone to check what time it was, "Omo, it's almost two."

She got up and decided to continue without wearing her shoes on. She didn't care, whether the people looked at her weirdly, she just couldn't bear the pain anymore. Heels weren't designed for a long walk, she knew it. She blamed herself for being dim-witted. While carrying her heels, she walked with a bare feet. 

Just then, it started to drizzle. Chaerin got panicked and fasten her pace. The first thing in her mind was to find a shelter, she couldn't let herself dripping wet, because she was still wearing the dress. Chaerin covered herself with the jacket and began to run. She continued to run, until she realized that there were no shops anymore. All that she saw was meadow and trees on both side of the street

Chaerin took shelter under the tree. She tried to make a phone call but it didn't work, her phone's dead because running out of battery. 

"Eottohke?"


***


"Aissh does it really have to rain? Now??" Jihye furiously parted the curtain and looked outside the window, "Are we going to cancel it?"

"Ji, I guess we should," Kikwang tapped her shoulder, and then hugged her trying to calm her down.

Behind them, Dara was walking back and forth, she too cursed the rain, for ruining the well-organized wedding that she had prepared for a week, "Dammit my violet rose bouquet!!!"

And at the same time Junhyung walked inside the room with water dripping from his hair, his suit was soaking wet, "Noona we have put some decorations inside."

Dara turned to him, "But not that violet rose! Oh God!!!"

"We can't put them inside, noona," he grabbed a towel and dried his hair, "Anyway, where's Chaerin?"

"Ah, she went to pick up the bridal bouquet and veil. But she hasn't came back yet and... look at what time it is!"

"Wait. She's still outside?" Kikwang turned around and walked towards Dara.

At first, the weather was chilly and cloudy, but now, rain had turned to storm and thunder started to rumble.

Jihye tugged on Kikwang's tuxedo, "Oppa I'm scared..."

"Noona how could you ask Chaerin to pick the bouquet? She barely know this place and it's heavily raining outside!" Junhyung took off his tuxedo and anger started to take over him.

Dara felt guilty inside her, "I- I didn't know it was going to rain!"

"Tsk, I'm going to find her," Junhyung stormed outside the room with a loud bang on the door.

"I'll go with him," Kikwang released himself from Jihye's grip and was about to follow Junhyung, but Jihye caught his hand, "Oppa don't. I'm scared."

"Ji... I have to find Chaerin," Kikwang assured her.

"But Junhyung is going to look for her!"

"I'm sorry Ji," with his strength he pulled away Jihye's arm and left outside. 

Jihye stared at his figure until it disappeared behind the door. Rage started to build, Jihye clenched her fist tight. She wrathfully crumpled her gown, and ripped her bridal gauntlets.

"Ji you okay?" Dara asked her worriedly.

Jihye turned to face Dara, she strained a smile, "I'm okay unnie. I just... need some rest."

"Okay... I'll leave you. Rest well Ji..." Dara smiled a little before leaving.

Jihye stood in front of the mirror. She never in her life, felt this angry and disappointed. She felt really disheartened that it hurts. So much that she felt her heart like squishing. That pain, that she thought had gone long ago, when Kikwang promised to take the responsibility for the baby, was back. Only this time it was much stronger, and more painful. Tears rolled down her rosy cheeks, wiping her make up. 

"You'll pay for this. I swear, you will pay for this..."