Chapter 2: Coincidence Is An Illusion

Crossroads

 

 

 

 

 

The automatic doors of the supermarket slid open and a shivering Hyomin stepped into the brightly lit store. After giving a smile and nod to the cashier who greeted her, she went in search of her much needed coffee. Humming to the song that her iPod was belting out, she finally found the instant beverage aisle and proceeded to scan the rack for her usual coffee brand. 

 

“They don’t have it?” Frowning to herself, she decided to give the rack one more scan and found what she was searching for in the far right corner. By the looks of it, that was the only one left too. Breathing a sigh of relief, she quickly walked towards it. However, as she reached to the bottom shelf to pick it up, she saw not one, but two hands reach out for it.

 

She turned to the stranger, mentally preparing herself to put up a fight for her precious coffee when she saw what had to be the cutest girl staring right back at her. Dressed in an oversized pullover, she looked even shorter when there was a considerable height difference between her and Hyomin. This stranger had short blonde hair and the largest eyes she’s ever seen. Oh and those lips-

 

Those lips were moving. 

 

Hyomin snapped out of her daze, blushing furiously. She must have been staring with her jaw wide open at a complete stranger for a good ten seconds. Quickly pulling out her earphones, she stuttered, “W-what?” 

 

The stranger giggled and Hyomin felt her heart was trying to leap out of . “I was asking you if you wanted that pack of coffee.” Hyomin gulped, hearing her angel speak and was about to reply when much to her embarrassment, instead of sounding like a human being with proper speech, she squeaked. Another giggle from the stranger and Hyomin wanted to dig herself into the deepest, darkest hole on Earth, never to leave.

 

“You’re cute.” 

 

Hyomin blushed hearing the shorty’s words and started to fumble with her hands, not knowing entirely how to react. “Anyway, you can have the coffee. I’ll just get another brand.”, said the smiling short girl. Hyomin looked up, “N-no, no-oo. Y-you c-can have-e it-t.” She starting kicking herself inwardly for all the stuttering. The girl smiled at her and shook her head. “It’s okay, I’ve still got some left in my dorm. I was out for a walk with my friends when I thought of dropping by for another one to spare. So really, please take it.”

 

Knowing that the girl in front her was serious, Hyomin nodded and with a smile as weak as her knees, stammered a thank you. As she picked up the packet of coffee, she was about to turn around to ask for the beautiful stranger’s name when she heard someone yell, “SUNNY! What’s taking so long?! Me and Pany are freezing out here!”

 

Both girls turned and looked towards the person who yelled. Hyomin saw another girl equally as short as Sunny standing at the shop’s entrance, clutching herself and shivering. She was pretty with dark shoulder length hair and had a frown on her face. Sunny turned to Hyomin and flashed her a beautiful eye smile, making her heart flutter. “Sorry, I’ve got to go otherwise that danshin over there is going to die from the cold outside. See you around sometime.” Hyomin could only nod dumbly as she watched Sunny skip over to her friend. She heard Sunny apologising to the girl before disappearing into the night through the sliding doors.

 

Hyomin sighed and walked to the counter to check out with her thoughts running wild. As she walked home, she couldn’t help but wish she had more time with the short girl. She had always guessed she pitched for the girl’s team when she ended her only relationship with a boy in a harsh manner. She had merely sent him a break up text when she caught him making out with another girl in public. Despite numerous calls and texts, she remained unfazed and blocked his number. After that, she realised that she started looking at girls more, often secretly ogling their curves behind her sunglasses during the last summer break at the beach.

 

While she was busy musing about Sunny, she realised she had already reached the door to her home. After quickly keying in the password, she stepped into her home and switched on the lights to sigh at the state of her studio. “It’s as messy as my head now.” Hyomin placed the grocery bag on her kitchenette and decided to clear off a couple of haphazardly strewn boxes before she injured another toe. 

 

An hour later and she had managed to unpack two boxes of clothes along with another box filled with her precious cameras. As she placed her Canon Mark lll into her display cabinet, she stood back to admire her collection and smiled thinking of the next weekend where she planned to explore a nearby park to score new photos for her portfolio.

 

Checking the time to see that it was already half past eleven, Hyomin decided it was time to hit the sack since she had an early class the next day. Making sure that she packed the correct books according to her timetable, she changed into a pair of shorts and a long sleeved tee that served as her pyjamas. Snuggling into her brand new bedsheets, she sighed thinking about the day’s events and fell asleep smiling as a certain blonde haired girl ran through her thoughts.

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

Firstly, thank you to all those who read, subscribed and commented on this fiction.

You guys really made my day! 

I hope you’ve enjoyed this chapter, writing a nervous Hyomin has been fun. Hehe.

And for Taeny shippers, I’m sorry if there was only a slight mention of them here but I assure you that you will see a lot more of them in future chapters as the plot thickens.

I will be updating this story two to three times a week for those of you who are curious.

Once again, thank you all!