Chapter 19: Your Heart Is The Greatest Gift

Crossroads

Taeyeon paced up and down the hallway, while a weary looking Tiffany watched her. It had been almost an hour since the ambulance had brought Boram into the emergency room and Soyeon had not stopped crying since then. Sooyoung and the maknaes had gone back to the dorms to get Taeyeon and Soyeon a fresh change of clothes since the ones they were wearing currently had dried blood spattered all over them.

 

Sunny glanced worriedly at her friends who looked like they were attending a funeral and felt Hyomin’s hand squeeze hers reassuringly. They were all praying hard for the small girl fighting in the emergency room. The doctor had told them earlier that she had some sort of lung infection and they would need to operate immediately in order to ensure her life was not at risk. 

 

“It’s a good thing Jungie remembered that our university’s medical card allows Boram to get the surgery without having to pay for it herself,” Qri sighed as she rubbed Soyeon’s back. Hyoyeon nodded in agreement and looked at the lights in the  emergency room sign which had just turned off just as Sooyoung and the other girls arrived with clean clothes for their friends.

 

The girls stood as the doctor exited the doors, “We’ve managed to put Miss Jeon out of any further danger. However, we will be required to keep her for a few more days to observe her. It says here, Miss Park Soyeon, is her guardian? Please follow the nurse to sign some release forms for Miss Jeon.” Soyeon quickly followed the nurse with Qri while the rest of the girls bowed to the doctor. 

 

Sooyoung quickly handed Qri a bag for Soyeon as they moved to follow the nurse and handed Taeyeon another bag. “Why don’t you girls head to the cafeteria to get something to eat while I take Taeng to get changed?” suggested Tiffany and the other girls nodded in agreement. “Do you think she’s gonna be okay Tae-tae?” Tiffany asked her girlfriend worriedly as she leaned against the hospital washroom counter. “I don’t know Pany, but I’m sure the doctor has done his best and if he says Boram-ssi is gonna be alright, then we should trust what he says.” Taeyeon handed the soiled shirt to Tiffany who placed it back in the bag. 

 

Taking Tiffany’s hand in hers, “Besides, she has us to support her no matter what.” Tiffany nodded, “I just feel bad for Soyeon, it was heartbreaking to see her when Boram..” She gulped at the memory of seeing Boram throwing up so much blood. Taeyeon brushed her cheek, “Everything is going to be alright, baby, don’t worry about it. Soyeon and Boram are strong girls.” Tiffany smiled in response to her girlfriend’s words and walked out to join their friends in the cafeteria.

 

 

—————

 

 

“Boram-unnie, how are you feeling?” asked Hyomin when they were allowed to visit her the next day. She had come over with Sunny, Jiyeon and Sooyoung who brought some food for the pale girl and Soyeon whom had not left Boram’s side since the night before. “A little better Minnie, thank you all for looking after me,” said Boram who tried sitting up but lay back down after Soyeon gently scolded her for exerting too much energy.

 

“We brought your favourite snacks, unnie!” Jiyeon exclaimed excitedly and smiled sweetly when Boram thanked the maknae. “How long will she have to stay in the hospital for?” Sunny asked Soyeon. Adjusting the blankets, “Just a couple more days according to the doctor. Then she can go back under the condition of proper bedrest and medication.” 

 

“Don’t you two have the competition to prepare for?” asked Sooyoung, referring to the one Taeyeon and Tiffany were preparing to compete for. Soyeon shrugged, “We do Youngie, but I guess that’s just gonna have to sit aside until Boram is regains full health.” 

 

“Can’t you find a replacement?”

 

“We could, but the only representatives from Sungkyunkwan are us, and I’m not sure we would be able to train this person in time even if we could find someone to replace us.”

 

Hyomin pondered for a moment at Soyeon’s words until they were made to wait outside when a nurse came in to change Boram’s dressings. With Sunny and Sooyoung being temporarily distracted by Jiyeon’s whining for food, Hyomin turned to Soyeon quietly, “Unnie, do you think I could replace you and Boram? You see, the song I’ve been writing for my project is for Sunny but I could try my best to finish it and have you train me on the vocals part.” Soyeon looked at Hyomin with surprise, “Mwo? You’d really do that for me and Boram?” Hyomin nodded vigorously making the shorter girl smile, “Gomawo Minnie-ah, I’ll do my best to prepare you in time for it.”

 

“Prepare for what?” Sunny interjected. 

 

“Nothing bunny,” Hyomin said and kissed her girlfriend who blushed at the attention she received. The girls entered the room once the nurse was done. They stayed there for a couple more minutes before Soyeon reminded Boram that she needed to sleep and the girls bid their goodbyes to their friend. Pulling Sunny aside, Soyeon handed a small box to her friend and whispered that it was her and Boram’s present to Hyomin for her birthday party tonight.

 

As they stepped out of the hospital, Hyomin noticed Sooyoung and Jiyeon acting a little funny as they made a weird excuse up of wanting to get back to classes. “But it’s Sunday,” Hyomin trailed off before the two shikshins took off at light speed. Sunny giggled at the brunette’s dejected face, “Come on babe, I’ve got a few things planned for your birthday.” Hyomin turned to Sunny, “Oh, are we headed back to my place then?” 

 

She was surprised when her bunny laughed so hard at her question, “Byuntae! Not everything we do involves the bedroom,” and she watched in amusement as Hyomin started protest and turn pink at the same time. “I love watching you being so cute,” Sunny said with a twinkle in her eyes. She took her girlfriend’s hand in hers and headed to Hyomin’s parked car.

 

Just then, Hyomin’s phone rang and the brunette saw that it was her mum. Silently apologising to Sunny who waved at her to pick up the call, Hyomin answered her mum in a cheery voice, “Annyeong omma!”

 

“Sunyoung-ah, I’m calling to let you know that me and your appa are going on the cruise in two days.”

 

“Jjinja? Have fun on your cruise, omma. Don’t forget you promised to meet Sunny when you’re back from it.”

 

“Aigoo, of course I did not forget. But your appa and I are going to book a hotel instead of interrupting your precious alone time with your girlfriend.”

 

“Omma!” Hyomin blushed hard causing Sunny to stare at her curiously.

 

“Anyways, take care Sunyoung, we’ll see you in two weeks time. Saranghae.”

 

“Mm, saranghae omma. Tell appa I love him too.”

 

“I will, baby girl. I’ll see you soon.”

 

Sunny looked at her girlfriend curiously when Hyomin ended the call. “Why were you blushing so hard?” Hyomin shook her head, “Nothing bunny, mum was just teasing us.” Sunny’s eyes grew wide, “Omo, your parents know about us? Are they alright with our kind of relationship?” Hyomin giggled, “Of course silly, and they really want to meet the person who’s stolen their only daughter’s heart.” A worried look appeared on Sunny’s face at her words, “But, what if they don’t like me?” 

 

Hyomin gently kissed Sunny’s lips, “Don’t worry babe, they’re gonna love you. Who doesn’t love Sunny bunny?” 

 

 

—————

 

 

“Yoona! Stop pigging on all the food before they get back!”

 

Hyoyeon swatted at Yoona who jumped in time to avoid Hyoyeon’s attack and scampered out of the living room with stuffed full. “Aish, jjinja! These shikshins will be the death of me,” grumbled Hyoyeon as she flopped down on the couch to reply her text. “Ooo, is that Kai you’re texting?” Tiffany teased as she sat next to her friend, tired out from hanging up the decorations. 

 

“Nope, I got bored of him. This is someone else,” Hyoyeon responded coolly and she responded a nudge from the pink princess. “Yah, don’t go round breaking hearts Kim Hyoyeon,” scolded Tiffany and she received a nudge from Hyoyeon, “Hey, I was not the one who broke poor Luhan’s heart to get together with our closet dance queen.” Hyoyeon wiggled her eyebrows at a passing Taeyeon who looked confused.

 

“Shh! Hyo, you know Taeng still gets upset when she hears that name,” Tiffany hushed her giggling friend. “You never got around to telling me what happened between you and him anyway,” Hyoyeon asked. Tiffany proceeded to whisper that she had kissed him to get on Taeyeon’s nerves because she was feeling jealous about the way the danshin was dancing with Baekhyun. 

 

“Turns out I didn’t have to worry anyway, Beakhyun was doing that to get Luhan jealous too,” Tiffany said with a shrug. Hyoyeon’s eyes widened at the revelation, “Wait, so Luhan and Baekhyun..” She let the stunned expression remain on her face as Seohyun came rushing into the living room to shoo the two friends so that she could clean up the crumbs from the chips that Yoona had spilt earlier.

 

Eunjung walked in sighing, “Where are those two anyways? I’m starving and so is this Dino.” Jiyeon crumpled onto the couch with Eunjung and let out a long whine to announce her hunger. Tiffany checked her phone, “They should be here anytime soon. I told Sunny to text me once they were nearby.” Right on cue, Tiffany’s screen lit up and the dark haired girl yelled to her friends to get into positions. Seohyun quickly turned off the lights to the place as they heard the purr of Hyomin’s sport car pull up into the dorm’s driveway.

 

The girls listed to Sunny jingling the keys in the lock and waited as they heard the front door open. Jiyeon who had been hiding closest to the door tried listening to the sound of it closing but only heard heavy panting and a muffled squeal. Jiyeon turned to Sooyoung who was beside her and the taller girl leaned in closer to hear similar sounds. She immediately clapped her hands over and moved to stop Jiyeon who had bounded towards to door but failed miserably as Jiyeon’s screams rang through their dorm for the second time.

 

Hyomin and Sunny looked like a pair of deers caught in headlights. It did not take a genius to figure out what they had been up to, looking at the state of dishevelment of their clothes and Hyomin’s smudged lipstick. Sunny looked sheepishly at Taeyeon who had her hands on her hips and a frown, while Tiffany tried her best to hide her giggles. Eunjung was consoling a shaking Jiyeon and the other girls looked at the Sunbyung couple while shaking their heads. “W-why?” Hyomin choked out to Sunny who replied her in a small voice, “S-surprise?”

 

 

—————

 

 

“You’re still not forgiven.”

 

“Waeee..” Sunny whined and nuzzled her face into the sweet smelling brunette hair.

 

“Because you made me embarrassed in front of our friends. Why didn’t you tell me that I had a surprise party?” 

 

“But that would defeat the purpose of it being a surprise!” Sunny let out a giggle at her girlfriend’s bimbo moment. Hyomin smacked the short blonde’s hard, earning a yelp from Sunny.

 

“Then why did you kiss me like that when you knew they were waiting for us?” Hyomin’s face was blushing as she pouted hard. Sunny chuckled and back hugged the taller girl who pretended to squirm for a bit before allowing herself to settle comfortably into the hug. “Mianhe. I got carried away by you,” whispered Sunny. Kissing Hyomin’s cheek, “I think I’ll always be carried away by you.” 

 

“Yah, you’re such a sweet talker.”

 

“You don’t like it?”

 

Sunny grinned as she heard Hyomin mumble something about being taken advantage off and she squeezed her arms a little tighter around her girlfriend. “Did you enjoy your birthday today?” Sunny asked. “Hmmm.. I liked that you took me to the aquarium. That place is huge! And the amount of photos I’ve managed to take, do you think the fishes would mind if I posted their pictures on social media? I don’t think fishes have the rights to sue, but they have animal rights so it might be the same thing- YAH! Why are you laughing?”

 

The poor blonde had no more self control as she burst out laughing uncontrollably after listening to another Hyomin moment and tried her best to keep a frustrated Hyomin from wriggling out of her grasp as she fought to regain her breath. 

 

“Minnie, I love you so much. I don’t think I could ever live a day without you.”

 

Hyomin turned her red face to Sunny, who had stopped laughing, to see loving eyes looking back at her. “I love you too, Sunny bunny. Just not so much when you laugh at me like that.” Sunny chuckled lightly and kissed Hyomin gently on the lips. “You haven’t opened a couple of presents yet. Why don’t you get started on them and I’ll pour us some drinks while you’re at it?” Sunny motioned to a couple of boxes and bags on Hyomin’s dining table. Hyomin nodded and got up from Sunny’s lap.

 

“Oh, Soyeon and Boram unnie gave me this! I’m gonna go put in on my display,” Hyomin exclaimed excitedly as she held up a framed photograph for Sunny to see and noticed it was a group selfie they had taken during their getaway to the beach. Sunny smiled as she popped the bottle of rosé champagne she had bought earlier, and poured two glasses out as she watched Hyomin open the shikshins present which turned out to be a boxful of snacks.

 

“Who is this from? It doesn’t have a tag on it,” Hyomin shook a small box curiously and took the glass that Sunny handed her. “Rosé? You’re being fancy tonight,” the brunette grinned at her girlfriend as she sipped the sweet drink. Sunny shrugged and motioned for Hyomin to open the box in her hands. A small music box fell out of it and Hyomin cranked the small handle next to it to start the melodious tune of Sunny’s song to her.

 

“I had it custom made so you can remember me when I’m not around.” Sunny patted the brunette who was entranced with the music. “It’s beautiful bunny,” Hyomin choked with tears in her eyes and wrapped her arms around the shorter girl’s neck. The two stayed in each other’s arms and listened to the soft tune. 

 

“Bunny?”

 

“Hmmm..”

 

“Promise me we’ll always stay like this.”

 

Sunny turned to look at Hyomin who had a worried expression creasing her face, “Is everything alright, Minnie.” Hyomin shook her head, “Mm-mm, I’m just feeling a little clingy tonight. You’re the best present a girl could ask for.” Sunny pulled her girlfriend closer and gently sang the lyrics of her song along to the twinkling tunes as sleep slowly claimed the brunette. Sunny pulled up the covers over the both of them and gently kissed Hyomin’s forehead as the taller girl snuggled closer into her embrace. Sunny barely noticed the beep from Hyomin’s laptop, signalling that she had received an email and allowed herself to join her lover in dreamland.

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

Sorry for the scare in the previous chapter.

Looks like Boram is safe!

I was supposed to post this story yesterday but I had too much work on my plate and failed to do so.

So for that, I apologize to all my readers.

I hope you've enjoyed this chapter and have a great weekend ahead!