Chapter 24: Only We Are Unaware Of Our Story

Crossroads

Sunny waited patiently as she watched Hyomin draw on her eyeliner with care. The short blonde was nervous, they were meeting Hyomin’s parents today and it felt like she was already meeting her in laws. She moved to smoothen out the small creases from her simple shirt that her girlfriend had stylishly paired with high waisted jeans and heels. “Don’t you think they’re a little casual to meet your parents?”

 

Hyomin placed the brush of her eyeliner back in it’s placed and spun to glance over Sunny. “Nope, I think you look pretty good babe. Besides, we’re gonna have to attend Taeyeon and Tiffany’s competition tonight. You can just throw a blazer over that and you’re good to go.” 

 

“B-but, you look so good baby. I don’t want you to be ashamed of me.” Sunny said with a pout as she looked over Hyomin who looked like a beautiful summer day in her loose blouse that was tucked into a pair of ripped shorts. Plus those long legs seemed to go on forever in those white heels and Sunny her lips at the sight of that milky white skin. The brunette girl smiled and said that she would never be ashamed of Sunny but she realized her girlfriend was ignoring her words as the blonde continued to fantasise about where those legs lead to.

 

“Yah, if you stare at me like that in front of my parents, they’d be embarrassed too.” Hyomin feigned annoyance, successfully managing to snap Sunny’s attention back to her words.

 

“Mianhe, I always get caught up in your beauty.”

 

“Sometimes, you’re mouth is such a sweet talker.”

 

“Only for you, baby.” Sunny winked at her girlfriend.

 

Hyomin turned around to hide her blush as her heart raced when every time she saw that deadly wink. As if she had read Hyomin’s mind, Sunny slipped her arms around the small waist and breathed in the scent of Hyomin’s hair. The taller girl had grown to love that action and allowed Sunny to continue hugging her as she made the final touches of her makeup. When she was done, she turned around to give Sunny a small peck on the lips, “Come on, it’s time. Let’s go meet my parents.”

 

Taking the shorter girl’s hand, they left the studio to walk to Hyomin’s car which was parked in the basement. Sunny was surprised when Hyomin handed her the keys, “You drive bunny, I want to be the girlfriend who steps out with her hot driver.” Sunny chuckled and got into the driver’s seat to start the car, letting it’s soft purr echo through the parking lot.

 

“Anything for you, my queen.”

 

 

—————

 

 

Sunny did not feel so much like the hot driver when she was seated across at a fancy restaurant across town. The nervous girl was already starting to sweat although Hyomin’s parents had not arrived. She gulped and moved her hand to take the glass of water before her, trying to steady her nerves.

 

“Are you alright, Sunny?” Hyomin asked worriedly.

 

Sunny smiled weakly at her girlfriend but before she could reply, they both turned to hear a woman’s voice, “Sunyoung-ah! Oh, my pretty baby!” The two girls stood as an elderly coupled hurried towards them. “Omma! Appa!” Hyomin moved to fall into her mother’s open arms and hugged the older woman tightly before moving to embrace her father as Sunny watched the family reunion with a smile. The trio spoke a little bit about Hyomin’s parents recovery after the cruise disaster to assure the brunette that they were back in good health.

 

“This must be Sunny, Sunyoung has told us so much about you. But you look so much prettier in real life!” Hyomin’s mother smiled and moved to hug a surprised Sunny like her own daughter. When the older woman finally let go of her, the man stretched out his hand to warmly shake Sunny’s, “That’s a firm handshake you’ve got there. I like you already.” Sunny returned the man’s bright smile. 

 

Hyomin watched her parents immediately take well to Sunny and smiled brightly, only to have a pang of guilt hit her as she remembered this was the last weekend she could make Sunny happy. She took a deep breath, trying to push the guilt she felt aside and smiled brightly at the three of them before they took their seats. The waiter quickly made his way over to their table and handed them their menus. He waited patiently for them to scan the menu and place their orders.

 

“Sunny, how do you find our daughter?” Hyomin’s mother asked with happy curiosity, after the waiter had left. Sunny smiled, “She’s definitely a keeper Mrs. Park, I’ve never met someone more kind and sweet.” Hyomin returned Sunny’s smile with a pink tinge appearing on her cheeks. The older woman smiled at the interaction between her daughter and Sunny, “I haven’t seen my Sunyoung act like this even when she claimed she was dating previously.”

 

“Omma!” Hyomin scolded her mother in embarrassment creating laughter from her parents and girlfriend.

 

“Are you studying in the same university as Sunyoung? How did you both meet?” Mrs. Park leaned forwards excitedly. Sunny proceeded to recount the story of their meeting in the supermarket, the time she caught Hyomin in the park and their time on their holiday. Although she was careful to leave out her birthday night for obvious reasons. Hyomin sat quietly through the explanation and blushed along with Sunny when she heard the blonde skip over their first night. Her father on the other hand, had caught his daughter’s blushing and smiled in amusement as he came up with a prank for the couple.

 

“So, Miss Sunny, have you both slept with each other?” 

 

“APPA!”

 

The man looked stern when he asked the question and watched the two girls start to have panicked expressions. He hid his chuckling as he watched them fidget in their seats and Sunny took a deep breath before answering the man.

 

“Y-yes, we have sir. But I love your daughter very much and would never hurt her.” 

 

Mr. Park was struck with how determined and sincere Sunny looked. He tried keeping a straight face but burst out laughing when he saw that his daughter looked like she wanted to cry from the sudden interrogation. The three women looked stunned for a moment before Hyomin realized her father had pulled one of his crazy pranks on them. She threw a small tantrum and when the man regained his sanity, he moved to hold the hands of the two girls before him. He placed both their hands over each other and said with a smile, “I’m sorry Sunyoung and Sunny, I’ve been dying for a good laugh since the ferry accident.” 

 

He first moved to look at Sunny, “Young woman, I can see you love my daughter deeply and I’m grateful she has someone like you to love her.” Turning to his only daughter, “Sunyoung, I can see the both of you love each other very much, so appa is not angry at all.” He then turned to look at his wife who smiled and gave him a nod, he returned his gaze to both girls.

 

“We’re glad that the both of you are together and have both your omma and my blessings.”

 

Hyomin’s eyes teared at her father’s words and she moved to stand to hug both her parents. Sunny was pulled into the family hug by Mrs. Park and they all felt their hearts grow warmer that day as an unspoken bond was created among them. Sitting back down, Hyomin playfully scolded her father, “Appa, you scared me for a second there with that strict dad face.” The old man chuckled, “Sunyoung-ah, you and Sunny are grown women. We as your parents trust you to make your own decisions.” Their meal arrived then and as her father dug into his bowl of rice, he cheekily continued his words.

 

“Besides, me and your mum can finally breathe knowing that you’re not going to die a .”

 

“APPA!”

 

The table roared with laughter as Hyomin pouted hard at her chortling parents and Sunny moved to comfort her girlfriend while she wiped her tears of laughter out of her eyes.

 

 

—————

 

 

“Be careful Sunyoung-ah.”

 

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll see you all at the show. Bunny, will you please take care of my parents for me?”

 

Sunny nodded, kissing her girlfriend goodbye and the three of them watched Hyomin speed off in her car. Hyomin had told her parents and Sunny that she had volunteered to help out for extra credits at the singing competition the TaeNy couple was in, which was being held in Sungkyunkwan. The short blonde had initially been reluctant to go even though her friends were in it, for fear of bumping into her uncle that had been pressuring her recently through her parents, into working for him. But she had caved in to endless pleadings from Hyomin. “You’re taking advantage of me, you know that?” as her willpower collapsed looking at those large puppy dog eyes.

 

Sunny turned to face the older couple, “Since we have some time before the show, would you both like to do some sightseeing?” She was now feeling a lot more comfortable with Hyomin’s parents, especially since they had been so warm and kind to her throughout the lunch. Hyomin’s parents agreed and Sunny brought them around to see the Cheonggyecheon river before a bit of shopping for Hyomin’s mum in Myeongdong. “Sorry, she’s quite a bit of a heavy shopper.” Hyomin’s father sheepishly apologized as the entered the tenth store in under an hour. Sunny smiled at the older gentleman, “Not to worry Mr. Park, Minnie is exactly the same, she just does it through a laptop.” Mrs. Park who had been listening to them, “Aigoo, I still don’t understand how that daughter of mine can buy something without looking at it first.”

 

“That’s called instinct, my dear. I’m sure that side comes from me,” said the man who chuckled when his wife gave a pout very similar to her daughter’s. Sunny joined the man in his chuckling, “I can see where she gets that pout from.” The man motioned for the both of them to step out of the shop while they let Mrs. Park continue shopping. They both remained silent for awhile before he spoke in a calm voice.

 

“Sunny, I’m glad that Sunyoung has you in her life. But there are some things you need to know about my daughter before things get more serious.” Mr. Park watched Sunny nod her head.

 

“Sunyoung is the kind of girl who keeps things hidden. If she gets hurt, she doesn’t say it out and she tries to carry the weight of her burdens on her own. When she fell off a bicycle and hurt her knee badly when she tried riding it for the first time, she did not tell me or her mother what had happened. We only found out when my wife was doing the laundry and she saw a couple of bloodstains before we realized Sunyoung had been hurt. Even from young, she leaned towards being a little secretive especially when it came to problems.”

 

Mr. Park turned to the blonde, “Sunny, if there’s ever a problem between you and Sunyoung, promise me that you will give her time to open up to you. I’m sure she tells you more things than she’ll ever tell us, but that girl is as stubborn as her old man.” Sunny remained silent and looked at the man after a few moments.

 

“Sir, I promise you that I’ll do my best to understand your daughter completely.”

 

The man sighed in relief and smiled at those words. “Thank you Sunny. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that there will be someone to look after my baby girl if something ever happens to me and her mother.” He was surprised when Sunny took his hands like a daughter would to her father, “I love your daughter Mr. Park, and I’d go through hell and back for her. So I promise to look after her until my last breath.” Mr. Park smiled and moved to hug Sunny briefly. 

 

“Well now that it’s settled, how about we get Mrs. Park out of this damned store so we can go watch your friend’s competition?” They both shared a grin before turning to go back into the store to prevent Hyomin’s mother from buying out the entire shop.

 

 

—————

 

 

“YAH! Not again!”

 

Sooyoung chuckled at Jiyeon’s frustration from having lost yet another round of Street Fighter to the taller girl. The maknae looked absolutely adorable as she pouted and crossed her arms with a huff. “Gomawo Jiyeonnie,” Sooyoung said and patted the girl’s head but quickly moved as Jiyeon attempted to bite her hand. “How do you keep beating me? I’m usually good at video games, especially against Hyomin-unnie.” she whined. Sooyoung shrugged and said, “I guess it was cause I learnt most of it from Sunny.”

 

“Speaking of Sunny-unnie, why isn’t she home?” Jiyeon asked curiously. Most of the girls were in the dorms save for Taeyeon and Tiffany who had left earlier to get ready for the competition, and Sunny. Sooyoung thought for a moment, “I think she mentioned something about meeting Hyomin’s parents today before the show. She must be out with them now.” When she glanced at the clock, “Speaking of show, I think we should go get ready. The rest will want to leave soon to get there in time.” Sooyoung stood up and stretched out her hand to Jiyeon to help off from the floor.

 

Just as Jiyeon stood, she slipped a little and Sooyoung quickly reacted to it, resulting in them hugging each other. They stood for awhile staring at each other while their hearts raced before their moment was broken by Seohyun’s shocked voice, “Omo!” The both turned to Seohyun and blushed hard before pushing away from each other comically with Jiyeon mumbling about it being an accident. The other maknae giggled at their actions but cleared quickly, “Time to get ready, we’re about to leave soon. Jiyeon-ssi, you can use my room to change.” Jiyeon nodded and hurried past Seohyun while Sooyoung remained standing there, rubbing her neck sheepishly.

 

“Unnie, it’s alright. I know you like Jiyeon-ssi but you really have to get moving otherwise Yuri-unnie is going to kill us for being late.”

 

Sooyoung snapped her head up, surprised at the maknae’s words, “Y-you know? B-but how-“ She stopped when she saw the knowing smile on Seohyun’s face. “You two are very obvious like the other unnies.” Sooyoung returned the maknae’s smile, “You know Seobaby, although you’re our maknae, you never fail to surprise me with how matured you are.” Seohyun shrugged, “Someone’s got to keep all of you in check.”

 

“Hey!”

 

Seohyun giggled and quickly ran into her room to get ready with Jiyeon, leaving a grinning Sooyoung in the living room. The taller girl looked at the clock again and realized she did not want to bear the brunt of Yuri’s anger, making her way to her own room to prepare for the show.

 

 

—————

 

 

The grounds of the university was decorated with bright lights all the way to its large auditorium. The twinkling lights reminded Sunny of the time they had attended IU’s concert a few months ago and a smile broke out on her face as she recalled the scuffle between the two group’s shikshins. At that time, she had been occupied with locking eyes with big, beautiful brown ones belonging to the prettiest face she ever saw. 

 

“Are your friends on their way?”

 

Sunny broke her daydreaming at the sound of Mrs. Park’s question and flicked her phone screen on to check the time, “They should be here soon, Yuri texted me that they left about half an hour ago.” The older couple nodded and Hyomin’s father turned to Sunny, “They are all from the same university as you?” Sunny nodded and the man continued, “Why don’t you girls study in the same university as Sunyoung?” Both the older persons noticed the sad and guilty look on Sunny’s face when they asked the question. 

 

“I-I had a misunderstanding with the president and it caused our offer letters to be retracted.”

 

Mr. Park patted her gently on the back and smiled warmly, “Sunny, sometimes the things that happen are beyond our control and as long as we don’t intend to hurt them on purpose, we should always learn to forgive ourselves and others.” Sunny glanced at the wise man and gratefully accepted his kind words. She spotted Yuri and the rest from the corner of her eyes and waved at them with a wide smile. The girls joined the trio and after pleasantries were exchanged, they moved to enter the auditorium.

 

“You didn’t tell me that we were meeting your future in-laws,” whispered Hyoyeon jokingly to Sunny. The short girl nudged the giggling dancing queen in the ribs. The auditorium amazed all of them with its grandeur. Large chandeliers hung from it’s ceiling which was filled was amazing paintings and the walls were draped with elegant velvet curtains. They settled into the plush seats and chatted excitedly as they waited for the show to start. The girls caught sight of their friends from Sungkyunkwan sitting in one of the upper boxes that was reserved for the university students. Sooyoung had been somewhat disappointed when Jiyeon had to join them since she was a university student too but the sharp eyed girl had promised to hang out with Sooyoung after the show was over. Sunny saw a few stage hands run around the stage and she craned her neck hoping to catch a glimpse of Hyomin whom she had been missing already.

 

When she saw a familiar older gentleman enter, she quickly dropped to sink further into her seat and pretended to be extremely interested in tying her shoelace. Once she was sure her uncle had walked past their aisle, she peeked and saw him take his seat in the frontal VIP section right behind the judges of the competition who had arrived with the man. She sighed in relief when she realized that it was impossible for the man to spot her due to his poor eyesight. But she noticed he was constantly coughing and had a look of pain on his face every time he did so. She couldn’t help but feel a pang of guilt for not being caring of him, knowing he had no one to took care of him unlike her parents who had each other.

 

She barely had time to linger on the guilt as she spotted a slim figure waving to her meekly from the corner of the stage. Sunny smiled brightly and waved back at her girlfriend who quickly disappeared when she turned to follow the stage director who was calling out to her. After a few moments, the placed looked filled and the lights dimmed down to the first performance. The first few acts were pretty good but the girls were anticipating the TaeNy couple. 

 

Pretty soon, their patience was granted as Taeyeon and Tiffany stepped on stage. They looked beautiful to their friends and when they started singing, nearly everyone in the auditorium was touched by the love in their voice. Towards the last few lines, the girls noticed Taeyeon was nervously moving closer to Tiffany. When they sang the final lines, Taeyeon and Tiffany took a bow as the audience cheered and the judges gave them their scores. However, everyone was taken by surprise as Taeyeon moved to kiss Tiffany in front of everyone and gasps of surprises could be heard all around. Some people starting wolf whistling and cheering, while others were shaking their heads with disgusted looks, the president himself included. The stage master quickly indicated for the curtains to be dropped before a riot started.

 

Taeyeon looked into Tiffany’s eyes as they pulled away from each other when the curtains closed and smiled, “Now my princess, no more nagging me that we’re not affectionate enough in public. I just gave nearly half the audience a heart attack.” Tiffany giggled and gave her a shot of her famous smile. “Yes, my Tae-tae. Thank you for that. Saranghae, Kim Taeyeon.” Tiffany moved to nuzzle her nose with Taeyeon who simply replied, “Saranghae, Hwang Miyoung.” 

 

They stood and held each other for a moment before the stage master spoiled the moment and shoo-ed them off for the next act. Both girls were shocked when they saw who it was.

 

 

—————

 

 

“Hey Sunny, it says here that it’s supposed to be Soyeon and Boram performing after this. Didn’t they forfeit their place because of Boram’s health?” Sooyoung whispered to Sunny as she scanned the list of competitors that they had gotten when they entered earlier. 

 

“Yeap, they’re both up there in the box with the rest. I heard Hyomin mention that they managed to find a replacement, but I think it’s probably someone we don’t know,” Sunny replied Sooyoung quietly. The taller girl nodded and they both turned to face the stage as the emcee stepped on it after the curtains had dropped.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, our next competitor on our list has withdrawn due to medical issues, but there is another representative who has replaced them. A first year student singing a self-written song titled Only We Are Unaware Of Our Story, please give it up for Park Sunyooooooung!”

 

Sunny, the girls and Hyomin’s parents all wore equally shocked faces as the curtains rose and there stood a beautiful brunette girl who was smiling nervously as her eyes scanned the crowds for a certain blonde haired girl. Her smile grew more uncertain as she met Sunny’s shocked eyes in the distance but she quickly steadied herself by taking a deep breath when the band started playing.

 

 

..Nun tteugi jeone geudae eolgureul..

..Achim bit soge geuryeobogon hae..

..Geureoke kkaeeonan naui harudo..

..Dangsin insaro meonjeo sijakhae..

 

 

Hyomin’s sweet voice rang through the auditorium as the crowd fell silent in awe of the newcomer’s voice. Soyeon was proudly smiling as she watched all her efforts in training the girl pay off and Yuri was smiling as well, glad that her words of advice for songwriting were not lost when she had spoken to her about it. Sunny on the other hand, was entranced. This was the first time she heard Hyomin’s beautiful singing and she was wondering how she had lived without it all this time.

 

 

..(Stay With Me) Igeon uriui iyagi..

..(Stay With Me)  Geudael wihan nae noraeya..

 

 

The girl’s voice was still a little shaky and she looked up for those familiar eyes again but instead of looking at shocked ones, she saw the most loving gaze coming from her girlfriend and Hyomin drew the strength she needed before she took on the chorus that touched Sunny’s heart.

 

 

..Oechigo sipeo dangsinege..

..Nan geudae saenggakppunira..

..Ontong geudae saenggakppunira..

..Uriui yaegin eotteoke doelkka..

..Uri dulman moreun chae..

..Meonjeo sesang wie allyeojijiman..

 

 

At that moment, both girls felt like everyone around them had disappeared and it was just the two of them in that auditorium. Hyomin’s voice had wrapped itself around Sunny’s heart and sang the love of the brunette’s heart for it. Sunny allowed her heart to take over and before she knew it, she had stood up. Hyomin’s eyes followed her girlfriend curiously as the short girl moved in a trance-like state towards the stage, pulling a rose out of a bouquet of flowers next to the stage.

 

 

..Ireoke geudael wonhaneun geol..

..I sungan naneun jinsimin geol..

..Igeon geudael wihan naui noraeya..

 

 

This is my song for you. That was all Sunny heard as she made her way up the stage as Hyomin was ending her song. All eyes were on the two girls as Sunny made her way to stand next to the love of her life and dropped to one knee while presenting the rose to her. Oblivious to the pin drop silence that was now surrounding them, Sunny spoke in a voice as clear as day.

 

“Park Sunyoung, I love you and I will stay with you forever.”

 

Hyomin allowed a tear of happiness to fall from her eyes as she reached out a shaky had to take the rose and Sunny took the opportunity to stand and pull her girlfriend into her arms for their lips to meet sweetly.

 

Sounds of clapping, cheering and outrage rang through the crowd that was a blur to the two girls. Until they both heard a booming voice speak into the microphone. 

 

“LEE SOONKYU, HOW DARE YOU.”

 

The two girls broke their kiss and looked at the raging president who was pointing his finger at Sunny that was shaking with anger. He moved to point at Hyomin and screeched, “AND YOU, I TOLD YOU TO-“

 

The man stopped speaking mid sentence and his breath caught in his throat. Mr.Lee clutched his chest as everyone watched in horror at the man who was turning purple, fell to the floor and appeared to be in the midst of a seizure. As much as Sunny disliked the man, she quickly jumped off the stage and ran to her uncle’s side to hold his hand as the man’s eyes silently pleaded for help. 

 

“SOMEONE, HELP!” was all Hyomin heard Sunny scream before everything became a blur.

 

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

Hey everyone! 

Firstly, I apologize for yet another dramatic end to a chapter. But it’s all for a good reason, I assure you.

And as a Hyomin crazy fan, I had to include a part of her singing one of my favourite tracks on her album. Do check it out on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQqGBk2YRfE

I’m totally in love with her in this video and I have a nagging feeling it’s directed for Sunny in real life but that’s my Sunbyung craziness talking. XD

I hope you’ve enjoyed this chapter!