Chapter 34: Fire And Ice Make A Surprise

Crossroads

Where the hell did the two days go? Sunny thought miserably as their car into the photoshoot location somewhere in the outskirts of Seoul to what looked like an abandoned airport. Sooyoung looked concerned, “This place looks like a dump. You sure we got the right address?” Tiffany checked her email, “That’s what it says here but..”

 

Jiyeon who was previously asleep on Sooyoung’s arm, woke up and rubbed her eyes. “Wow, looks like a pretty cool location,” she said as she peered out of Sunny’s tinted limousine windows. Sooyoung turned to her girlfriend with a confused look on her face, “Cool? More like creepy.” The sharp eyed girl laughed, “Silly Beanstalk, the best photoshoots happen in the weirdest places. Remember the time I sent you pictures of our high fashion shoot in the middle of nowhere Nepal?”

 

The couple continued talking until Sunny’s driver pulled up in front of the entrance of an old airplane hanger. The four girls stepped out onto pretty white snow and they shivered as the cold winter winds hit them hard. They remained standing outside the building, debating if they should enter until a man peeked out of the doors and gestured them to enter. 

 

“Are you Miss Hwang?”

 

“Ahh, yes. We’re here for a photoshoot with Mr. Psy,” explained Tiffany and the man nodded. “Come in, my name is Woohyun and the other crew are setting up the equipment. I would not recommend that you girls remove your coat now. It’s a little chilly in there even with the heaters.” The girls looked confused and made their way in and their jaws dropped at the sight.

 

White. Bright white snow shone like diamonds served as the main source of light since the hanger was technically missing one of it’s four walls. There were a few people milling around setting up some fancy equipment near that non-existent wall. The girls saw Psy yelling at a couple of people to hurry up and Woohyun gestured them to follow him. 

 

“Sir, your clients are here.”

 

Psy turned around and smiled, which Sunny found hateful although the man did not seem to hold any contempt towards them. “Ladies! Just in time! Ah, Miss Park Jiyeon, a pleasure meeting you again. Miss Hwang, the collection you sent over is in that corner. My people have already set up a changing room for you Miss Sunny. Just get your makeup done with the team and change into the first outfit, and we can start. The rest of you ladies can wait over there, a heater has been set up next to the sofa.”

 

“Don’t worry, unnie. I’ll help you out,” Jiyeon said and nodded for her girlfriend and Tiffany to take a seat while she gently nudged a confused Sunny towards the makeup booth that was set up. “Ah, Jiyeon, it’s been awhile since I’ve seen you. Are you the model again today?” smiled the makeup artist. 

 

“Kahi-unnie! It’s been too long! Today, it’s my friend, Sunny who’s doing the shoot instead!” replied Jiyeon happily as she gestured to an awkward Sunny. Kahi nodded and proceeded to start on Sunny’s make up. Once she was done, Jiyeon quickly shoved a poor Sunny into the changing room. Sooyoung and Tiffany were chatting away on the sofa when they gasped as their friend stepped out of the changing room.

 

Jiyeon looked like a proud mother as Sunny stood, albeit an awkward expression, looking beautiful in one of Tiffany’s prized designs. “Woah Soonkyu, you’re looking good,” said Sooyoung with wide eyes and Tiffany nodded with happy tears in her eyes. “T-thanks guys,” stammered Sunny shyly.

 

Psy returned to collect Sunny and start the photoshoot. “Now Miss Lee, just stand in with your back towards the snow and strike a few poses for me. My assistant here will be taking a couple of photos as well since she needs the practice,” said Psy as he gestured to his assistant that was bundled up in a thick parka and a scarf, probably due to the cold. He was also wearing sunglasses to protect his eyes from the gusts of wind. Sunny nodded and moved into her position.

 

But after fifteen minutes into the shoot, it was apparent things were not going well. Sunny seemed to be unable to bring her rage to the surface and Psy seemed to be getting irritated about it. “Miss Sunny, I need you to bring out that anger I saw in you in order for this to work.” The red head nodded and tried her very best to get angry but she just felt awkward trying to fake it.

 

They tried another outfit for another twenty or so minutes until Psy placed his camera down in a huff. “Break!” he screamed and the rest of the crew moved to adjust the equipment as Psy continued to bark orders at the staff. 

 

Sunny sighed and slumped into the sofa. “Sorry Pany-ah, I don’t know why I just can’t seem to get into character,” she said apologetically and Tiffany patted her back. “It’s okay, Sunny. I know you’re trying really hard,” she said and flashed her eye smile. 

 

Sooyoung looked over at her girlfriend and Jiyeon nodded. Taking Sunny’s hands in hers, “Unnie, don’t worry. My first shoot was nerve wrecking as well but some of my sunbaes gave me some tips that might be helpful to you.” Sunny nodded sadly, “Sure Jiyeonnie. Let me just go get a drink.” “I’ll go with you unnie,” said Jiyeon and walked over to the refreshments table with Sunny.

 

As Jiyeon started with some pointers, Sunny noticed that Psy was currently yelling at the assistant cameraman who had his back towards Sunny. Jiyeon sighed, “He’s at it again.” Sunny turned to look at her friend. “His assistant was also at the previous shoot and he kept yelling at the poor fella throughout the whole shoot,” explained Jiyeon as they both heard Psy’s yells getting louder.

 

Her eyes widened when he smack the side of his head so hard that it knocked the poor assistant to the floor. Woohyun quickly moved to the assistant’s side and as he was helping the man up, the hoodie of the assistant’s parka fell back to reveal a messy blonde bob cut. 

 

He hit a woman?! That was it. Sunny’s rage flew and she stormed over to Psy. “How dare you!” Sunny yelled and threw her fist at the shocked man, knocking him to the ground the same way he did to his assistant. Everyone stood in shock as they watched the two. But what was more surprising was when Psy quickly got up with a.. smile?

 

“Miss Lee! That’s it! That’s the perfect expression! Let’s quickly get back to the shoot-“

 

“SHOOT?! I’m not doing any shoot with you after what you’ve done! You just hit a woman and you expect me to be okay with it?!”

 

“Sunny-“ A gentle hand touched Sunny’s arm which Sunny pushed away.

 

“Tiffany! Stay out of this!”

 

“Please Sunny-“

 

“NO! I will not tolerate things like this!”

 

“M-Miss Lee?”

 

Sunny turned at the new voice and saw the assistant standing there, still bundled up in the scarf and had her sunglasses back on. “Y-yes, are you alright?” Sunny asked her with concern. The girl nodded and spoke softly, “Ne, I’m fine. Please don’t be angry at my boss. It was really my fault that I made a mistake earlier on.”

 

“That’s hardly a valid reason for this to hit you! I should take you to court-“ Sunny had turned back to Psy and was about to pummel him again when she felt a soft hand touch her arm.

 

“P-please Miss Lee, I’m okay. Really, I am. But Mr. Psy is right, your expression is perfect now. I would really l-love to take y-your photos now.”

 

Her voice is extremely cute, thought Sunny and she sighed, “Fine, I’ll continue, Miss..” She looked at the assistant who bowed as she introduced herself.

 

“Just call me Min, Miss Lee.”

 

“Alright Min, I’ll continue,” Sunny turned to glare at Psy, “but only if he apologises to you.” The shivering man quickly nodded, “I’m sorry for hitting you Min. I won’t do it again.” Sunny was satisfied when Min nodded to her boss and they moved into positions again.

 

The next hour was what you would call perfection. Sunny nailed almost every shot as the rage continued burning with every shutter click and Sunny noticed that Psy was jumping at giving Min a little more room for her to get better angles whenever Sunny shot daggers at him when she noticed that Min was having a difficult time getting a good shot.

 

Psy called for another break and Sunny went to Kahi to get a touch up. As she sat there, she watched Min hook up her camera to a laptop and was eagerly scrolling through the photos she had just taken. She has a really cute voice, thought Sunny and she watched as Woohyun approached Min. Judging from his body language, you could tell he liked the girl and was being concerned about where she had got hit earlier.

 

“That boy is soooo into her,” chuckled Kahi. She saw the confused look on Sunny’s face and continued, “He started working for Psy about six months ago and she’s been his assistant since I can remember. Woohyun has been getting closer to Min for a while now.”

 

“He seems like a nice guy.” Sunny watched Woohyun move to pat Min’s head and the girl playfully swatted his hand away. The young man smiled goofily at Min’s playful antics.

 

“Rumour has it that there’s something going between them but who knows.”

 

“She seems like a nice girl too. She actually forgave that man even though he’d hit her,” Sunny said angrily and Kahi nodded.

 

“Yeah, she’s a sweet girl but she hardly talks and keeps to herself most of the time, except with Woohyun. I heard that Psy took her under his wing because she’s got great potential. He’s even said that she might be even better than him someday.”

 

“Wow. An obnoxious man like him is willing to train someone who might be potentially better than him? Doesn’t make sense to me.”

 

“Yeap, but who knows. Maybe she’s his niece or something and he’s too ashamed to admit it.”

 

Sunny fell silent at those words as it brought back some bitter memories. She had made peace with her uncle before he passed on but she still couldn’t help but feel a little bit of a grudge for what he did to her relationship. As she allowed her thoughts to run, she noticed Min peeking at her and she smiled when the girl quickly busied herself with something else when she knew Sunny had caught her staring. It reminded her of someone.

 

Before Sunny had time to ponder more, Psy called for the shoot to start again and the magic continued. There was one point where Min almost fell over as she squatted in the most awkward position possible to get the right shot. Sunny giggled at how adorably dorky Min was being unconsciously. The girl blushed hard when she caught Sunny’s giggle and was immediately flustered. The red head wished that she could see the girl’s eyes but she still had them covered with those sunglasses. As they took their third break for the day, Sunny excused herself after speaking to her friends and snuck up behind Min. 

 

“Hi there.” 

 

The girl nearly jumped out of her skin as Sunny had suddenly appeared behind her.

 

“Oh, h-hi.” Cute, thought Sunny.

 

“Does your head still hurt?”

 

“A-ani, I’m good,” she said politely as she shook her head. Sunny chuckled at how much the girl was stammering.

 

“You know, Min. You remind me of someone I met very long ago.”

 

“R-really? How?”

 

“You stammer a lot for one. And you’re really cute when you’re nervous.”

 

“A-ahh? I’m not n-nervous.” Min blushed hard when Sunny giggled again. Sunny was about to ask her another question when much to Sunny’s annoyance, Woohyun appeared again. 

 

“Min, this fell out of your camera bag earlier. It looks kinda expensive so I thought you might wanna keep it in your pocket. Oh hey, Miss Lee,” Sunny shot a quick smile and watched Woohyun dangle a necklace in front of Min. That looks familiar, thought Sunny as Min quickly snatched it out of Woohyun’s hand and thanked him hurriedly. Sunny smirked inwardly as Woohyun looked a little dejected from the lack of attention Min was giving him and shuffled away.

 

“That’s a pretty necklace, Min,” said Sunny as the girl quickly slipped the necklace into her pocket. “Um, thanks,” she replied shyly. “Why aren’t you wearing it?” asked Sunny curiously. “Oh, umm, I didn’t wanna s-scuff it accidentally during the photoshoot so I t-took it off.” Min looked a little uncomfortable at the question and Sunny decided not to ask further as Psy called them for the final bit of the shoot.

 

The more Sunny watched Min, the more curious she got. That height and build, the way she was a little clumsy like she had two left feet, those lips that peeked sometimes from the scarf wrapped around her neck. Was it? Could it be?

 

When Psy announced happily that the shoot was over, Sunny’s curiosity got the better of her. She quickly changed out of her outfit and spotted Min loading some equipment into a large storage case. The red head caught a few snippets of the boy’s words to Min, “You had some really good shots going on there Min, let’s celebrate! I know this great place in Sinsa-“

 

“Hey Min, can I talk to you for a second?” Sunny asked the girl who jumped again when she heard Sunny’s voice. Woohyun looked a little annoyed at Sunny’s interruption but stopped his sentence short when Min nodded at Sunny. But the boy did not move and it took Sunny raising her eyebrows for him to get the message and slowly shuffle away.

 

“W-what is it, Miss Lee?” stammered the shy girl. 

 

“Please, call me Sunny.”

 

“O-okay, Sunny-ssi.” The way she says my name.

 

“Can I see the photos you took of me? I heard you’re really good.”

 

“A-ah, not r-really. I’m j-just lucky, I guess.”

 

Min handed the camera over to Sunny anyway and Sunny’s jaw dropped when she scrolled through the photo playback. They were equally amazing as Psy’s work that she had seen and maybe even better. She had made Sunny look like a goddess and Sunny wasn’t the vain type.

 

“These are amazing, Min!”

 

“T-thank you, Miss-.. Sunny-ssi.”

 

There it was again. That voice.

 

Sunny looked up at the taller girl and observed those features, making Min blush hard at the attention she was receiving. “Min, this may sound a little rude, but do you think you could remove those sunglasses?”

 

“W-wae?”

 

“Just because.”

 

Min bit her lip and quickly glanced away muttering something along the lines of having red eyes and that it was contagious. Sunny was about to give in, mostly out of embarrassment for having made such a weird request out of a complete stranger. 

 

The red head quickly muttered an apology before she heard Tiffany’s screams and some of the crew yelling at her to get out of the way and both girls turned to see one of the hanging camera props splitting from it’s wires and flying straight at her. Sunny was too shocked to move and squeezed her eyes shut as she braced for the impact and felt something colliding into her. 

 

But, there was no pain.

 

Instead, she heard a large crash and she felt her back crash into one of the clothes racks. The thick winter wear broke her fall and cushioned her back as she hit the ground and felt a warm body lying on top of her. She squinted her eyes open a little and saw blonde hair. She looked around and saw that the prop had crashed a few inches from where she was standing. Min must have pushed her out of the way. With her heart racing, Sunny finally let go of her breath that she was holding and caught a whiff of tangerines.

 

This smell, it can’t be.

 

“M-min,” stammered Sunny and shook the girl gently. She breathed a sigh of relief when she felt a movement and Min slowly lifted her head. The dark shades that were at an awkward angle, slipped and fell to the floor with a clatter. A pin drop silence ensued as Sooyoung’s jaw dropped along with Jiyeon and Tiffany muttered, “Oh. My. God.” But no one looked more shocked than Sunny at that moment.

 

“H-hyomin?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

Hyomin is back?! But how?! Why?!

And yes, I decided to introduce Woohyun into this story because he starred alongside Hyomin for the drama, The Thousandth Man. But I don’t ship the pairing. :X

I’m sorry for the delay in updates but this author is dying under work pressure.

Nonetheless, I promise this story will see its ending one way or another.

Until then, thank you to all my readers for keeping up with this story. :)