Chapter 33: Secret Negotiations

Crossroads

The sunlight streamed into the office that looked the same as it did two years ago, save for a photo frame on the magnificent desk which housed a precious photo. Anyone who saw the photo would immediately guess that the occupants of the picture were madly in love. The short blonde seemed to be laughing at something while her arms were wrapped securely around a brunette that was looking at the blonde with a loving gaze as one of her hands caressed the cheek of the laughing blonde.

 

It was a photo Sunny would gaze upon every time she took a breather, just like she was doing now. She reached out and gently touched the face of the brunette before letting out a deep sigh. This morning had not been extremely kind to her as she had just finished signing off the documents for a new orphanage that her company was opening. As she was about let her thoughts slip into the memories that the photo brought, two sharp knocks sounded on the door and she looked up to see her assistant peering in.

 

“Miss Lee, Miss Jung is here to see you.”

 

“Please ask her to come in,” replied Sunny with a nod. Her assistant slipped back out and in came the icy blonde with a folder in hand. “Hey Sica,” said Sunny and received a grunt from the blonde which caused Sunny to chuckle. “Not a very happy morning for you too, I see.” Jessica sighed, “You got that right.”

 

“What’s going on? Is the workload too much?”

 

“Work? Pfft. That’s the least of my concerns, Sunny.”

 

“Then what’s got you all hot and bothered this morning?”

 

“Kyungsan kicked up a fuss this morning.”

 

“And?” Knowing her friend all too well, Sunny could tell that Jessica’s son throwing a tantrum was the least of her concerns.

 

Another sigh. “And, the wedding planner called this morning.” 

 

Sunny braced herself. HellSica mode was now active and was about to blow. And she hated the fact that she was right the moment Jessica lost it.

 

“He had the gall to tell me the photographer I chose would not do my wedding! How dare he fail to secure the photographer when I clearly told him I would not have anyone else do it! I even offered to pay him three times the usual price. And no one denies Jessica Jung! This is going to ruin all the wedding moments! I won’t have the best capturing all my precious moments with Yul and Kyungsan! This is a major disaster!”

 

Sunny didn’t know whether to laugh or symphatize. Most people would have just opted for another photographer but Jessica Jung was not most people

 

“Why can’t it be another photographer?” Sunny asked cautiously. “Because, this guy’s work is fantastic! You should see the photos he’s produced, they’re absolutely gorgeous. He could make hell look like heavenly.”

 

At that, Sunny couldn’t help but burst into laughter. She had never seen Jessica so passionate about something like photography and she thought of how Tiffany reacted yesterday. Maybe cool photos was the “in thing” now. But first, she had to control herself because her PR manager looked like she was about to murder Sunny for laughing at her.

 

Before Jessica could yell at Sunny, the phone that sat on her desk saved her life by ringing loudly. Sunny moved to answer it quickly, placing it on loudspeaker. “Miss Lee, Miss Hwang is on Line One.” “Put her on please, thank you!” responded Sunny who inwardly thanked her friend for saving her eardrums from bleeding.

 

“Sunny-ah! You’ve got to help me. I’m begging you!” Tiffany sounded panicky. Sunny looked up at Jessica who shrugged but both girls started to look concerned.

 

“What’s going on Pany? Are you alright?”

 

“It’s that photographer! He’s agreed to the job but he wants to meet me tomorrow because he’s arriving in Seoul. Taeyeon was supposed to go with me but she’s got another recording tomorrow.”

 

“So what’s the problem?”

 

“Tae-Tae won’t allow me to go alone and all the other girls are too busy to go with me. I know you’re usually really busy but pleaaaaase say you’ll go with me.”

 

“Err.. Let me just check my schedule to see if I’m available.” With that, Sunny put Tiffany on hold while she flipped through her appointment book to check her schedule. 

 

“Sunny, when are you going to start using a computer to organise your schedule?” asked Jessica who was crinkling her nose at the worn out leather organizer. “I like being old fashioned,” replied Sunny as she screened her appointments. She looked up at her friend, “Is the meeting with the factory supervisor urgent?” Jessica glanced over at the notes and bit her lip with a worried expression. 

 

“Quite.”

 

Sunny pressed a button on the phone, “Sorry Pany, I’ve got an urgent meeting tomorrow.”

 

“But but.. Please Sunny! This is my one and only chance to meet this Psy guy! It could really help my business pick up fast-“ Jessica froze at that name.

 

“Wait- What?! Your photographer is Psy?! The one with the fantastic photos?!”

 

“Yes yes! The one and only! Why? Do you know-“ 

 

Jessica muted the phone then and stared at Sunny who started getting worried at her friend’s expression. That was icy look Jessica gave when she wanted something and you would be asking for a death sentence if you said no.

 

“Sunny, go with her.”

 

“But I thought you said-“

 

“I know what I said. I’ll go in your place to meet the supervisor instead.”

 

“Wae?”

 

“Because that’s the photographer that I wanted for my wedding photoshoot. I need you to go convince him to take the job.”

 

“Why don’t you go with Tiffany if it’s that important to you?”

 

“I can’t. I have another important meeting that morning too. That, and I might kill him if he rejects me to my face.”

 

Sunny sighed and pressed a button on the phone again. 

 

“Tiffany, looks like I’m going with you.”

 

“Oh my God, thank you so much Sunnnnny! I love you so much!” came the squealing over the phone that nearly deafened both girls. 

 

“Yah! Save the squealing for your girlfriend,” Jessica barked back irritably and the two girls laughed at the icy blonde's annoyed tone.

 

 

—————

 

 

Tiffany was jumping up and down excitedly as they stepped into a cafe that had been suggested as the meeting point. Sunny glanced around and saw that it was fairly empty save for one or two occupants. Looking down at her watch, Sunny asked Tiffany, “What time are we supposed to be meeting him again?”

 

“Two o’clock.”

 

“Then we’re a little early. Come on, let’s get a seat.” The two girls sat at a table close to the window and ordered their drinks from the waitress who attended to them. “Thank you,” said Sunny, flashing a bright smile at the waitress who blushed hard and squeaked something before running off. Tiffany watched the waitress behind the counter to whisper something to her co-worker and they both giggled while stealing glances at an oblivious Sunny.

 

“Sunny-ah, have you ever thought of dating again?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Why?”

 

Her short friend calmly placed her drink back on the table and looked up at her friend, “You know why.” Tiffany sighed, “But Sunny, you’ve searched for her all these years and even the most expensive private investigator can’t find her. Maybe she doesn’t want to be found. She did mention that she wanted to do so in order for you to focus on your company.” Sunny stayed silent for a moment before she spoke again.

 

“Would you find someone else if it was you and Tae?”

 

“I-I..”

 

“Pany, I know you mean well but it took me a year to realize that no matter what I did, I can’t forget her. This company and its success means nothing if I don’t have her.”

 

Point taken, thought Tiffany sadly. She knew that Sunny still loved Hyomin very much but it hurt her to see her friend not being able to move on. And the brunette girl had covered her tracks so well that Sunny had not been able to find her after the first seven months in Juilliard. Her friend had arrived one night, drunk and in tears, to her and Taeyeon when she found out that all records of Hyomin had been removed and the trail had gone cold. The pink princess had seen the pain in the short girl’s eyes that night as she cried like she was attending a funeral.

 

“Miss Hwang?”

 

The somber moment was broken when a short, chubby man appeared at their table. He was wearing shades just like Yoona had said and was bundle up in a thick coat. Tiffany nodded and stood to shake his hand but she was left hanging as the man ignored the extended hand and took a seat.

 

“My time is precious. What exactly is your proposal?”

 

What an arse, thought Sunny as Tiffany quickly slipped a folder out of her briefcase and handed it over to the impatient photographer. “Mr. Psy, I just opened a boutique called Girls’ Generation and was wondering if you would be willing to be our photographer. Of course, the price is not an issue and-“ Tiffany was rudely cut off by the man who lifted his hand to demand silence. Sunny gritted her teeth at the man’s attitude and her hands balled into fists as he flicked through the folder. After a few long moments, he looked up. 

 

“Typical wannabe designs. Why should I do this?”

 

Sunny was about to beat the man when Tiffany quickly placed a hand over her friend’s and threw a apologetic glance at her. Turning back to Psy, she quickly answered the question, “Well, I’m just starting out but I’ve heard from my friends, Jiyeon and Yoona that you’ve worked with them before. I was just wondering if you would do the photoshoot if they were to be the models for this shoot-” The man raised his hand again, making Sunny’s anger reach a boiling point. 

 

“So just cause I accepted a previous shoot because of your friends, you assumed I would take this job?”

 

“I thought-“

 

“You thought wrong, Miss Hwang. This photoshoot will be a waste of my time. There’s barely anything inspirational on it.”

 

“But-“ Tiffany was on the verge of tears.

 

“No buts. It’s just a bunch of clothes that anyone could come up with. In fact, it looks like it may have been copied off Vogue or-“

 

“ENOUGH!”

 

All of them jumped when Sunny slammed her cup so hard on the table that it shattered. The coffee spattered everywhere, including on the photographer that Sunny currently wanted to murder for hurting her friend.

 

“You think your work is so great?! Sure, it’s just pretty pictures, but don’t EVER insult my friend like that in front of me again, or so help me, I will do everything in my power to make sure you will never be able to lift another camera!”

 

Pin drop silence surrounded the cafe and a lady quickly stepped out, possibly in fear of Sunny’s rage. Psy looked worried even behind his sunglasses and the silence was broken by his ring tone. The man hastily moved to answer it and the person on the other end spoke for a short moment. When the call was done, he looked back at the two girls.

 

“I-I’ll do it. B-but only on one condition.”

 

“This had better not be another one of your stupid, obnoxious demands-“

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“Sunny, but what has this got to-“

 

“Sunny what?”

 

“Sunny Lee. But that’s besides the point-“

 

“Miss Sunny Lee, I want you to be the model.”

 

“-and I swear.. Wait. WHAT?”

 

If someone were to have looked into the cafe window at that moment, it would have been quite a funny sight to behold. Sunny was wearing a shocked expression while a short man cowered in fear and Tiffany was seated with hanging open.

 

“W-Why me?”

 

“Because you’re fiery. That’s exactly the inspiration I’ve been looking for in this cold winter season. Your expression earlier was perfect! The rage of a woman, melting the icy season with her burning gaze.”

 

“...”

 

“So, you’ll do it?”

 

Tiffany immediately jumped up, “Of course she will!” Psy jumped excitedly at the answer and Sunny turned her shock to her friend this time, “Pany, w-what are you doing-“

 

“Great! We will have the shoot in two days time! My assistant will send you the bill of today’s consultation and I will need you speak to her about the contract!”

 

“Of course, I will make sure everything is sorted out perfectly,” Tiffany said excitedly as she offered her hand that the man finally shook, probably out of fear of Sunny’s possible rage if he didn’t. Tiffany kept bowing as the man stood up and left hurriedly.

 

Tiffany was squealing excitedly about scoring the deal that she forgot about Sunny who was still standing with gaping. The red head slowly turned to her friend who was currently pulling out her phone to dial Taeyeon’s number. She was about to press the dial button when Sunny snatched it out of her hands and the poor pink princess squealed for Sunny to return her phone.

 

“Stephanie. Hwang. Miyoung. ARE YOU INSANE?!”

 

Tiffany quickly stuffed her ears with her fingers as Sunny ranted wildly about what just happened. “Mianhe Sunny-ah, but will you please do this for me?” Tiffany begged her friend once Sunny had sat back down, with her face red from all the yelling. 

 

“Yah, Pany. I’m no model, plus I’ll have to work with that despicable human being. And I have a company to run. How can I possibly do all that and model for your store? Come on, you can easily ask Yoong or Jiyeon to step in on that day and he wouldn’t have a choice,” said Sunny desperately.

 

“Sunny, he’s right. You’re a fiery character and it’ll really help with the winter collection.”

 

“But-“

 

The red head groaned when she saw Tiffany’s pitiful face. She could not resist her friends when they needed help and she was in control of the situation. Sunny quickly looked away but turned back when she heard Tiffany’s whimpers and saw those blasted puppy eyes and sighed heavily.

 

“Fine. I’ll do it.”

 

Tiffany squealed and wrapped her arms around Sunny for a tight hug. “Thank you, thank you, Sunny Bunny! This is why you’re my most favourite person ever!”

 

“I thought that was Taeng?”

 

“She is. But you’re second! I wub you my Sunny Bunny!”

 

“Alright, alright. That’s enough. Taeyeon might kill me if you keep professing your love for me.”

 

“I don’t care! I owe you big time!”

 

“Yeah you do. And you can start by paying for this broken cup.”

 

“That’s easy! I’ll even get the waitress’ number for you.”

 

“W-what?! No! I don’t want it.”

 

“I’m still getting it!”

 

“If you do, I’m not doing the shoot.”

 

“W-what?! Alright, I won’t. There? Happy?”

 

Sunny chuckled at her pouting friend and hugged her tightly. She really did not want to do this but seeing her friend happy made her somewhat happy. And she had not felt happy in a long time, so it was a good feeling. But she sighed inwardly at the thought of having to meet that damned Psy again. I guess it won’t be so bad if I get Soo or Yoong to go with me. At least they’ll make me laugh, thought Sunny.

 

 

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

Hey there! Sorry for the late update.

It’s 7:30 in the morning here and I haven’t slept all night.

So this update’s Author’s Note is going to contain.. nothing.

But I hope you enjoy your weekend and thank you to my readers! :)