Chapter 35: The Reason We Broke Up

Crossroads

—————

Flashback

—————

 

 

“Sunny-ah, you’re burning!”

 

Hyomin had a worried look as she placed a cool hand on Sunny’s forehead. The shorter girl shook her head, “Aniyo, it’s just a little fever and I’ll get better in a couple of days. Stop worrying about me, Minnie.” 

 

“How can I not worry about you? You’re having a fever and you’re still up playing video games!”

 

“I’ve just got one more mission to complete.”

 

“That’s what you said an hour ago.”

 

“Yah, it’ll be done soon.”

 

“You’re only going to get worse if you keep staying up this late.”

 

“Look Minnie, just one more mission won’t kill me, so stop harping about it.” Sunny instantly regretted her words the moment she said it. 

 

“Fine. Do what ever you want.”

 

Hyomin stood up angrily and marched over to the balcony and closed the sliding doors with a bang. Great work pissing your girlfriend off Soonkyu, thought Sunny to herself. Sighing, she paused the game and stood up as well to walk over to her girlfriend.

 

As she placed her hand on the sliding door handle, she was stunned as she gazed upon Hyomin’s beauty in the moonlight. Even when tears ran down her face, she looked every bit like a goddess with the soft light caressing her facial features gently and the brunette seemed to glow with radiance. 

 

However, the brunette turned her face away from Sunny when she heard the sound of the doors sliding open. Hyomin felt slim arms slip around her and silently enjoyed the security of the comforting back hug. 

 

“Mianhe, my love. I didn’t mean it that way.”

 

When Hyomin didn’t respond, Sunny tiptoed to kiss Hyomin’s slender neck and it didn’t take long for the girl to squirm in response as Hyomin bit her tongue to stop her moans, trying to display annoyance instead. Sunny chuckled at the struggling girl and slowly turned her girlfriend around to face her.

 

“Minnie, I’m sorry for saying those things. I know that you’re concerned about me,” Sunny said softly as she moved to cup Hyomin’s cheek with one hand. Hyomin let out a small sigh of content as she felt the warm hand on her cold cheeks.

 

“Sunny, don’t say things like that. I can’t imagine living without you,” Hyomin breathed out as another silent tear ran down her cheeks. Sunny was surprised. She thought this was about her not listening to her girlfriend’s advice but she didn’t know this was about Hyomin being scared of losing her.

 

“Hyomin,” Sunny started and moved her other hand to cup both cheeks, “I’m sorry, and I promise that I’ll always be by your side.”

 

“You can’t promise me that you won’t die one day.”

 

“Minnie baby, death is inevitable. But I can promise you this. I, Lee Soonkyu, will do everything in my power to keep myself alive for as long as you, Park Sunyoung, breathe.”

 

Hyomin let out a small sob and allowed her forehead to rest on the shorter girl’s one. Sunny softly cooed reassuring words as she slid her arms around her girlfriend’s waist and patted her back gently until Hyomin finally stopped crying. 

 

“I l-love you, Sunny-ah. 

 

“I love you too, my angel.”

 

“P-please don’t leave me.”

 

“Never.”

 

 

—————

 

 

The awkward silence grew as the face that haunted Sunny’s dreams and thoughts for the past two years was staring right back at her. Hyomin look thinner, more tired but her beauty still stunned Sunny. She looked like every bit the angel she had met in the park once upon a time. 

 

“H-hyomin..” she stammered once more, tears forming in her eyes.

 

“H-hey Sunny,” Hyomin responded awkwardly, trying to tear her eyes away from the tearful ones, but failing to do so.

 

Strong arms pulled Hyomin back down and Sunny cried her heart out as she held the taller girl in her arms. “D-do y-you know how m-much I’ve m-missed y-you?!” Sunny cried out as Hyomin remained unmoving for a while but after a few moments, Hyomin caved into her emotions and allowed her own tears to fall while she wrapped  her arms around Sunny as well.

 

Tiffany and the other girls watched them with smiles on their faces as the two girls allowed their hearts to reconnect over so many years. Even Jiyeon was starting to cry at the beautiful moment but she was so overcome with emotion that she let out a wail.

 

“UNNIE!”

 

Hyomin felt her body being knocked off Sunny as Jiyeon threw herself onto the surprised girl. Sooyoung helped Sunny up as the crying maknae held a death grip around her long lost friend. Hyomin chuckled as she patted Jiyeon’s head and coaxed the young girl to stop crying.

 

“Yah, Dino, you just interrupted Sunny and Hyomin’s moment,” laughed Sooyoung as she smiled watching the two girls and looked down at Sunny who’s tearful face still wore a shell shocked look from seeing her lover. 

 

“It’s cause I’ve missed my unnie,” Jiyeon hugged Hyomin possessively, fearing that she would disappear at any moment. “Jiyeonnie, I’m here and I’ve missed you too,” said Hyomin gently with a smile at the younger girl. After a few moments, both girls stood and Jiyeon looked around at the older girls, “Can we all go somewhere to catch up, I want to spend more time with my unnie.” 

 

Tiffany picked up the vibes between Sunny and Hyomin. She quickly jumped in, “I think we should let Sunny and Hyomin catch up. We can always go out with Hyomin on of these days, right?” she said looking at Hyomin who nodded. “Of course! I’m only flying off in two weeks. We can always catch up before that,” she suggested as Jiyeon whined at not being able to spend time with her unnie. 

 

Sunny’s heart dropped when she heard Hyomin’s words. Two weeks? Is she returning back to New York? The thought saddened her. The other girls agreed to the suggestion, with Jiyeon being a little disappointed that she couldn’t spend time with her friend but she understood nonetheless.

 

“Just ask your driver to drop us off at Tiffany’s store, Sunny. My car is parked there anyway,” said Sooyoung. Sunny nodded and looked over at Hyomin, who nodded in agreement but remembered something, “Erm. I kinda have to stay back to finish up the rest of the clean up before I can go.” 

 

Sunny looked back to her friends worriedly, not wanting to let Hyomin out of her sight for fear of losing her again if she were to follow them back but Tiffany had already thought of a sneaky plan. 

 

“Hyomin, do you mind sending Sunny home later?”

 

The blonde girl gaped a little at the suggestion but gently shook her head as she peeked at Sunny, all the while blushing hard. “No problem, Pany.” Tiffany flashed her eye smile and gestured to the other girls to follow her. That left Sunny alone with Hyomin. 

 

“So urm-“ started Sunny with a blush as well but was annoyingly interrupted when Woohyun appeared next to them again.

 

“Min! Are you alright? I’m sorry, the equipment must have been set up in too much of a hurry,” he said, which earned a glare from Sunny, both from endangering her precious ex-girlfriend and also because he was ruining another moment between them. Hyomin, however, just flashed a bright smile, “It’s alright Woohyun. No one was harmed.” Woohyun was about to say something when Sunny cleared , a clear indication that she wanted some peace and quiet with Hyomin. 

 

The man looked a little annoyed and turned back to Hyomin, “Well, if there’s nothing else, I’ll be leaving.” Sunny inwardly fist pumped when the tall blonde nodded with another smile, “Thank you Woohyun, and please drive back safely.” Woohyun shuffled away, once again looking slightly dejected and jealous but did not argue with her.

 

It was then that Psy walked over to the two girls and bowed slightly to them, “Miss Park, Miss Lee, if there’s nothing left, I’ll be leaving with the crew as well.” Hyomin nodded, “Thank you for your hard work today, oppa. Please drive safely as well.” “Will do boss, see you tomorrow for the photo editing session,” he bowed once more to them and Hyomin nodded, smiling at the man. Sunny followed suit but was extremely confused.

 

Boss?

 

Hyomin turned to Sunny as the shorter girl realized she had thought aloud. “Erm y-yeah. I hired Mr. Park about over a year ago when I started this company.” Sensing that there was some explaining to be done, Hyomin placed a hand over Sunny’s, which made the red head’s heartbeat increase rapidly, and led her over to sit on the now vacated sofa. 

 

“It’s a long story.”

 

 

—————

Flashback

—————

 

 

Summer break had just begun and students everywhere rejoiced with the long holidays. A young woman had just exited Juilliard’s administration building, clutching a folder in her hands and let out a deep sigh. It broke Hyomin’s heart to drop out of her studies but she no longer felt the burning passion to continue. The school counsellor had tried talking the girl out of leaving, but to no avail, as Hyomin’s heart was set on a brand new course.

 

The brunette girl had spoken to her parents about this and as usual, they offered their support with open arms. Mr. and Mrs. Park had already set up a small company as a subsidiary to their own and allowed Hyomin to run the show for her photography work. 

 

“Why Psy, dear? Why don’t you want to use your full name instead?” her mother had asked her.

 

“Because I don’t want Sun-, her, to be distracted by me. I want her to think I’ve disappeared so she can move on and fall in love again. Plus, Sunny’s uncle just passed away not long ago, I’m sure she’s up to her neck in work, I don’t want to be the reason that she’s buried by it.”

 

The elderly looked at Hyomin with sad eyes. Their daughter was still very much in love with the girl she had left behind in Korea but she was set on the idea of never being found again. 

 

“Also, umma, can I ask you for another favour?”

 

“Anything, my dear.”

 

“Can you hire someone to pose as Psy? I will be doing the main work but I need people to think that the show is being run by someone else so no one will find out.”

 

Her parents had agreed to the idea although Mrs. Park still felt a little sad that the two girls were holding back from loving each other. But the deal was done and Hyomin had picked out this man called Park Jae Sang who had impressed her with his acting skill of being an overbearing, pompous boss. No one would ever guess that the assistant’s work was the magic behind the photos.

 

And the plan worked to perfection. Everyone thought Psy was a genius at his photography but no one wanted to hang around him long enough to be friends because of his ego. Hyomin was able to do what she loved without being detected by Sunny. 

 

There was once that she had found out that there was a winter shoot happening and she noticed that the list of models included Jiyeon and Yoona and immediately asked the man to accept the job but realized that her friends could recognise her in an instant. That’s when she decided to get a total makeover by chopping off her brunette locks in exchange for short, platinum blonde hair. Something that reminded her a little of Sunny.

 

Speaking of Sunny, she had always kept little tabs on the woman. The news of Mr. Lee’s death had her worried about Sunny for a good few weeks but then she caught more news from home that Sunny was quite the businesswoman and a fine one at that. Hyomin could not have been more proud when she heard of the uncovering of the hospital’s account discrepancy and how Sunny had handled the matter with brilliance.

 

But that was all that she could do. Watch from afar. Unable to hug and congratulate her little bunny, unable to take care of her when news got to her that Sunny had been admitted to the hospital once from being overworked. It killed her everyday and  she had to remind herself daily that it was for the best.

 

And she hated that feeling because she was still madly in love with Lee Soonkyu.

 

 

—————

 

 

“So, did you know I was going to be the model for this shoot?” 

 

Sunny was curious. Hyomin had been so careful to make sure she covered all her tracks but here she was, sitting in front of her at one of the most unexpected events in her life. She was utterly surprised when Hyomin nodded. “B-but I thought you were trying to avoid me at all costs?” The blonde girl rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly and in the tiniest voice, “I-I guess I couldn’t r-resist seeing you one more time.” 

 

Hyomin’s shy eyes met Sunny’s, “Actually, I was in the cafe that you met ‘Psy’ with Tiffany. I was two tables away from you because it’s my routine to scope out clients to see if I would like working with them and I thought that it was going to be another regular client but you walked in. I had initially told him to reject the job offer but when you stood up for Pany and broke that mug, I left the cafe and phoned ‘Psy’ and told him to take the job but only if he could convince you to be the model.”

 

“Why?”

 

“B-because when I saw the fire in your eyes, it felt like I was falling in love with you all over again.”

 

Both girls were now blushing hard but neither one of them could tear their eyes away from each other. Sunny was feeling extremely overwhelmed and there was a whole nest of butterflies in her stomach, after hearing Hyomin’s confession.

 

“Can I ask you something?” 

 

“N-ne?” came Hyomin’s shaky response.

 

“Two years ago, you told me you fell out of love and that you wanted to move on in your career. Was it true?” 

 

Of course Sunny knew this wasn’t true. She had heard everything from Jessica and from the other girls. But the last words that were exchanged between them had been painful and she wanted to, no, needed to hear it from Hyomin herself. Their gazes locked as the blonde girl took a deep breath.

 

“No.”

 

Tears welled in Sunny’s eyes and Hyomin was hypnotised by the red head’s beauty at that moment. With eyes locked to each other, their bodies drew closer to each other as if by magnetic force. When their lips made contact, Sunny let a teardrop fall and soon after, a tear from Hyomin’s eye joined the drop on Sunny’s lap. The warmth of each other’s lips were too much to bear and they both lost themselves in two years of heart ache and longing.

 

The two girls only allowed their kiss to break when they started running out of oxygen and even then, they merely stopped to gasp for air before crashing back into each other as if trying to make up for all the lost time. Tongues battled and hearts raced as Hyomin’s body turned to jelly and slowly slipped back onto the couch, bringing Sunny with her. 

 

Time seemed to stand still for the two girls as they kissed each other hungrily. It was when Hyomin’s phone rang loudly, only did the two girls break apart, startled by the loud noise. Hyomin shakily reached to slip her phone out from her pocket but the device clattered to the floor and Sunny, who was on top of her, quickly reached down to pick up the phone. 

 

The shorter girl growled a little when she saw Woohyun’s name on the screen and handed the phone to Hyomin who looked confused at Sunny’s sudden growl. She answered the phone, sounding a little out of breath, “Yeboseyo?” Since there was only the two of them in the empty hanger, Sunny could clearly make out what Woohyun was saying.

 

“Hey Min, you sound breathless, is everything okay?

 

“I-I’m okay. Why are you still up?”

 

“I just wanted to check if you’re home already.”

 

“Ani, I’m still at the shoot location.”

 

“Wae?! It’s already late, are you sure you’re alright?”

 

“Yes, don’t worry, I’m still here with Miss Lee.”

 

“Miss Lee? Why is she still there with you? Is she giving you a hard time?”

 

“No no, everything is alright here, Woohyun.”

 

“Do you want me to come over and drive you home?”

 

“It’s fine, Sunny will be with me.”

 

“I can be there in about fifteen minutes-“ Sunny impatiently snatched the phone from Hyomin.

 

“YAH! Hyomin is fine, I will take care of her. So stop pestering her. Bye.”

 

With that, Sunny impatiently ended the call and heard a tiny giggle next to her. She turned to Hyomin who was wearing a small smile. 

 

“Wae?” Another giggle.

 

“Sunny-ah, you sound jealous.”

 

“No, I am not.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“W-why would I be jealous?”

 

“Because I’ve never seen you lose your temper over a phone call.”

 

“Yah. That doesn’t mean I’m jealous. I could be-“

 

 

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGGGG!! 

 

 

Sunny looked down at the phone she held and growled louder than the first time. Pressing down hard on the screen to answer the call, Sunny yelled loudly into the receiver, “WHAT.” Woohyun did not appreciate Sunny’s anger and barked back, “Pass the phone to Min. I want to speak to her, not you.”

 

“She’s busy. With me. Call her some other time!” With that, she hung up the phone again. Hyomin giggled again and before Sunny could open , the phone interrupted them for the third time. As Sunny was about to press the answer button, she felt Hyomin’s fingers slip the phone out of her hand. Sunny’s heart fell a little but instead of answering the call, the blonde girl surprised her by turning the phone off. 

 

Looking cheekily at Sunny, “You were saying something about not being jealous?” Hyomin grinned when Sunny squirmed a little. “Fine!” admitted the shorter girl, “I’m jealous! You can’t blame me for that right?” Hyomin shook her head and giggled once more. God, help me. I’m still madly in love with her, thought Sunny. Suddenly a worrisome thought struck her.

 

“Minnie, are you d-dating Woohyun?”

 

A round of uncomfortable silence ensued and Sunny’s felt tightening as Hyomin looked at her with a serious expression, “And what if I was?” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

Uh oh. Is Sunny too late? Has Hyomin fallen in love with someone else?

What will happen to the Sunbyung pair?

Hey guys! Here’s another update and the next one will be quite soon as I hope to finish this fic before Christmas because I’m planning for a Christmas one-shot. :)