Chapter 25: The Last Night Of Love

Crossroads

A heavy silence hung through the hospital air as a small group of people waited nervously outside the emergency room of the hospital. Hyomin was softly hugging Sunny who was resting her head on the brunette’s shoulder and was tapping her foot nervously as she waited for the news of her uncle’s condition. Neither of them spoke a word and the girls did not know what to say to Sunny. 

 

The doors to the emergency door slid open and a doctor stepped out holding a clipboard, “Is anyone of you here a relative of Mr. Lee Soo Man?” Sunny shakily stood up with the help of Hyomin and approached the doctor, “I’m his niece.” The doctor nodded and straightened his spectacles, “Miss Lee, I regret to inform you that your uncle collapsed earlier due to a mild seizure that affected his lungs. We have performed several tests and scans.” The doctor paused and took a slow breath before looking at Sunny with a serious expression, “I’m sorry, but your uncle has cancer and may not have much time on his clock.”

 

“H-how much time does he have?”

 

“I can’t say for sure, Miss Lee. Untreated, he probably has a few months but even if he does obtain treatment, we are unable to be sure of how long he can hold on.”

 

“Is there an option for surgery?”

 

“The cancer has spread too far for any surgery to be successful.”

 

Sunny bowed her head in guilt for all the times she had treated her uncle badly. She was not close to him anymore but she still remembered the times where her uncle took her out for ice cream trips and spoilt her with her favourite toys when she was younger. The man had told her of his hopes and dreams of her taking over his businesses one day and she had been eager to do so to please her beloved uncle. Sunny had hoped that she would be able to obtain her uncle’s forgiveness when she was successful one day but all those plans seemed to be crumbling before her.

 

A nurse rushed out of the emergency room, “Doctor, the patient is conscious and is asking to speak to his niece.” Sunny quickly looked up and moved to follow the nurse, glancing back to look at Hyomin who gestured for her to enter without her. They both looked at each other knowingly and Sunny nodded in agreement. This was not exactly the best time for her uncle to see the both of them together.

 

The sight of the once proud, strong uncle she had known lay weakly on the hospital bed. Sunny was pained at the sight of the tubes sticking out from his body and the annoying bleep of the monitor that signalled her uncle was still clinging on for dear life. She watched him from the door for a moment before she saw a small movement of his finger and heard a soft voice call out to her.

 

“S-soonkyu-“ croaked Mr. Lee.

 

Sunny quickly moved to the bedside and gently took the man’s hand in her own. Sad eyes looked into tired ones as the uncle and niece appreciated the moment where they were both not at war with each other. “S-soonkyu..” Sunny moved closer to hear the soft words and the man continued, “P-please.. I know I don’t have long, please help me Soonkyu. *cough* I want y-you to be my successor.” The blonde girl looked at the dying man who had tears in his eyes. She let out a soft sigh, “Uncle, you know why I can’t do that. Not after what you did to a friend whom I call my sister and not until you can accept me for who I am.”

 

Lee Soo Man looked at his niece, “P-please, think about it.” Sunny hung her head and remained silent until the man shut his eyes and drifted off to sleep. Making sure none of the monitors were indicating danger, Sunny gently placed the hand she had been holding back on the bed and exited the room with a heavy heart.

 

When she arrived at the waiting room, she saw Hyomin standing there waiting for her by herself. “Where are the other girls and your parents?” she asked Hyomin as they linked fingers. Hyomin informed Sunny that the nurse had asked them to wait outside since there was a large group of them and the hospital staff were worried about the amount of people that were slowly piling up due to the late night emergency ward rush. The couple walked out to join the rest of the girls and they agreed to part ways since there was nothing more they could do anyway. Hyomin and Sunny bid their friends goodnight and Hyomin moved to hug her parents afterwards since the older couple had not wanted to trouble the two so they had ordered a cab to their hotel. 

 

“Take care of your girlfriend, Sunyoung. She needs you more than ever,” her mother softly whispered into her daughter’s ear as they embraced each other. They watched their friends and family leave one by one until it was only the two of them left in the hospital lobby. Taking Sunny’s hand in hers, Hyomin lead the quiet girl to her car. 

 

 

—————

 

 

The drive was quiet as the both of them basked in the comfort of each other’s presence. Hyomin noticed her girlfriend still looked a little glum when they entered the elevator of the building unit. 

 

“Bunny?” Hyomin said timidly.

 

“Y-yes?” came the reply as Sunny snapped out of her reverie.

 

“You’ve been quiet the whole time.”

 

“I’m sorry princess. There’s too much thoughts running through my head at the moment.”

 

Hyomin shook her head softly, “Aniyo, it’s fine. I just wish there was something I could do for you.”

 

“Thank you baby, you being by my side is a lot already,” Sunny said with a smile.

 

They both fell silent again and the brunette girl bit her lip as she thought of a random crazy idea to cheer her girlfriend up.

 

When they arrived at the unit, they remained silent while Hyomin immediately went to the bathroom to get changed out of the gown she was wearing from the competition. Sunny watched Hyomin who still looked like a goddess sent from the heavens and felt bad for not giving the girl more attention after she received such a beautiful gift of song from her earlier. She took a deep breath and resolved to push her sadness aside for tonight to focus on her beloved girlfriend. She sat on the bed and waited patiently for Hyomin to be done in the bathroom, thinking of ways of charm the younger girl. But when the bathroom door opened, all the ideas went down the drain as she burst out in crazy laughter. 

 

Hyomin was wearing what looked like a scarf wrapped around her head like a turban, using a fluffy pink earmuff to cover one eye like a pirate and had used up an entire roll of toilet paper to give herself a makeshift sweater. The silly girl was waddling out of the toilet, obviously having a wedgie as she wore a thong over an overused pair of shorts that had seen better days. Poor Sunny was rolling around the bed laughing as Hyomin awkwardly adjusted her oversized spectacles that was perched haphazardly on the one-sided earmuff and waddled into the kitchen like it was the most natural thing in the world.

 

It got funnier as Hyomin tried to fix them some coffee and the poor girl had her paper sleeves unravelling into their mugs. Sunny was trying so hard to control her laughter the adorably dorky girl grumbled cutely as she lost a part of it to the kitchen drawer when trying to reach for a spoon. The short girl moved to help poor Hyomin who was now trying to stir the glasses without tearing the armpits of her makeshift sweater.

 

“Minnie baby, what on earth are you wearing and why are you wearing it?” giggled Sunny as she took over making the coffee from a whining Hyomin and stopped to gaze upon her dork of a girlfriend when she was done. Her grin grew wider when Hyomin cutely touched her index fingers together and hung her head in embarrassment.

 

“I-I just thought you’d feel b-better if I made you l-laugh,” stammered a blushing Hyomin.

 

Sunny giggled once again and moved to remove the weird head accessories blocking her girlfriend’s pretty face. She cupped the blushing cheeks and gave Hyomin a long, slow kiss on those amazing lips before pulling back to smile gratefully at the girl. “Thank you Minnie. I’m sorry for making you feel like you had to be responsible for cheering me up after what you’ve done for me tonight. But nothing is your fault and I think you’re the only girl adorable enough to come up with something like this to cheer me up.” Hyomin’s smile returned to her face and Sunny felt her own cheeks burning at the brightness of it. Her heart raced as she gazed upon it, knowing she would really never get used to seeing it and she was happy about it staying that way.

 

“Come here, let’s get you out of your fashion crisis.”

 

Sunny slowly helped her by removing the thong that was being the bane of Hyomin’s existence and was slowly unravelling the toilet paper as the brunette was awkwardly trying to step out of the overused shorts without getting in Sunny’s way. When the shorter girl made her way to Hyomin’s chest area, she gasped when she saw a lacy red bra slowly reveal itself as she pulled at the rolls of paper. A fire ignited in her eyes when the remaining bits fell to the floor, revealing the iest sight she had ever seen aside from the first night they had made love.

 

Hyomin stood blushing in her matching lingerie she had carefully chosen for tonight’s occasion and her heart felt like it was about to jump out of her chest when she saw Sunny’s fiery stare. Summoning all the courage and iness she had, she leaned provocatively against the kitchen counter and motioned for Sunny to come closer with her best come hither expression. 

 

It must have worked as she heard Sunny growl before pouncing on her with a certain hunger that Hyomin eagerly matched. Their tongues battled ferociously and arousals peaked as hands wandered all over each other’s bodies with Sunny’s clothes disappearing piece by piece until she was in the same state of undress as her girlfriend. Hyomin suddenly felt herself being lifted by Sunny’s strong arms and felt her touch the cold marble counters. She was slowly laid down across the counter as Sunny’s lips traveled to the slender neck, stopping to expertly nibble over a few of Hyomin’s weak spots that she knew would elicit moans that was music to Sunny’s ears, and was not disappointed at all when Hyomin’s throatily responded. 

 

Those devilish lips continued its way down over those slender collarbones and towards the soft mounds that Sunny worshipped. The short girl released them from their lacy bindings with deft fingers and the brunette girl felt the peaks of her mounds react to the cold air almost immediately. Hyomin’s hands immediately tangled themselves in her lover’s hair as Sunny laid kisses all over them, gasping loudly when the cheeky girl bit a hardened nub and she flicked her eyes downwards to meet Sunny’s lustful ones where the blonde girl grinned wolfishly at Hyomin’s reaction. Sunny did not break eye contact with Hyomin as she slowly continued the sensual torture to Hyomin’s taut belly where Sunny whispered huskily about how y Hyomin was and smirked inwardly when she heard another gasp as she reached the brunette’s core.

 

Using only her teeth, she slowly pulled off the tiny piece of cloth covering the hidden flower and Hyomin blushed like a when Sunny stared at her center like it was the most delicious meal she had ever seen. Hyomin tried to close her legs out of embarrassment of having being ogled, Sunny quickly moved to hold her legs apart. “W-wae..” Hyomin whined shyly and the blonde moved back upward to claim those lips before Hyomin could argue further. The taller girl was slowly caught up in the sweet kiss and opened her eyes in shock as she felt Sunny’s finger slip into her damp core. She moaned deeply into the kiss as she matched the motion of the finger moving back and forth inside her and broke the kiss to pant hard as Sunny’s magic brought her higher and higher until she squeezed her eyes shut and saw bursts of stars when she reached her peak.

 

Holding Sunny close as she caught her breath, the shorter girl scooped up her lover delicately in her arms to carry the both of them back into the bedroom. Sunny gently placed her girlfriend on the soft sheets and moved on top of her. They stared into each other eyes for a long time, each lost in their own thoughts.

 

I know I have to help my own flesh and blood out, but if it means leaving this angel, how can I? Do I have the heart to be selfish to keep her all to myself in secret? She doesn’t deserve that. She deserves someone who can love her openly and freely. Do I deserve to be loved by this angel after all the people I’ve hurt in my selfishness?

 

How am I going to break her heart before leaving? I can’t be selfish and keep her close while my friends suffer. She would never be able to love me if I did such a thing. But.. she’s my everything. How am I going to live without her?

 

The two girls watched tears pool in each other’s eyes and they cast aside all thoughts as they brought their lips to meet each other again. It was like as though an unspoken connection had formed between them and their love making was burning with a desperate desire. Their bodies and souls felt each other’s pain and somewhere at the back of their minds, they could not help but feel a grim sense of foreboding that this night of overflowing love would be their last. Tears flowed freely down their faces as they climbed to each together and the cries of ecstasy rang through the night.

 

 

—————

 

 

The next day, Hyomin quietly slipped out of the apartment while Sunny was still asleep and headed to the quiet bar she had once visited with Jessica. She knew Sunny would be visiting her uncle again today and she had wanted to be with her lover but guilt gripped her as she remembered the promise to herself that last night was the last time she would show love to her bunny. The bar was surprisingly open at the early hour and she was grateful for it being empty.

 

A glass of orange juice was placed in front of her and her fingers fiddled with the precious necklace hanging around her neck as she let her thoughts drift to Sunny. Those thoughts were interrupted when the bar door swung open and a very grumpy looking Jessica walked in. The blonde beauty plopped herself gracefully in the chair across Hyomin and said in an extremely annoyed tone, “You’d better have a damned good reason for dragging me out at this hour on a weekend.” 

 

“Mianhamnida, I-I just.. I needed someone to assure me that I’m doing the right thing by breaking Sunny’s heart.” Hyomin said sadly.

 

Jessica sighed at the pitiful sight in front of her and she rubbed her temples, “Fine. But you owe me a drink for giving me a headache at this hour.” Hyomin nodded and signalled for the waiter to take their order. “One margarita and get me.. five tequila shots,” the blonde girl asked as Hyomin curiously looked at her and thought, Who drinks this much alcohol at the start of the day? 

 

When the drinks arrived, she was even more surprised when Jessica promptly placed the shot glasses in front of Hyomin. “Don’t ask me too much, every time you say ‘no’, I want you to take a shot.” Hyomin nodded shakily, worried at what this icy blonde was up to. Jessica noticed the look and shot a look at Hyomin, “Stop worrying, it’ll help with the heartache.” Hyomin took a deep breath and waited for the first question.

 

“You love Sunny, don’t you?”

 

Nod.

 

“Would you be able to stand seeing her in pain?”

 

“No.” Jessica gestured for the first shot to be taken and Hyomin obeyed.

 

“Staying with her will end up hurting your friends, right?”

 

Nod.

 

“Do you think she can live happily if you hurt them?”

 

“No.” Second shot downed.

 

“You know that she has to take over her uncle’s business but she can’t because of you?”

 

Nod.

 

“So do you think she’s in a happy place now?”

 

“No.” Third glass.

 

“And after knowing all this, do you think it’ll be better to fight what is fated to happen?”

 

“N-no.” Tears were coming out of Hyomin’s eyes as she took her fourth shot. Jessica watched the girl closely and felt bad for her but she knew this had to happen.

 

“Last question, if you love her, do you think you’re doing the right thing by staying with her?”

 

“No..” Hyomin could barely choke out the final answer as she downed the last shot, letting the alcohol take over her senses to dull the searing pain in her heart and let out stifled sobs. 

 

Jessica watched Hyomin bury her face into her hands and sob hard. Usually, she would not tolerate such acts but her sisterly instinct kicked in when Hyomin looked so helpless that it reminded her of the time Krystal had cried like this so many years ago. Jessica patiently waited for the sobs to slowly turn into sniffles and handed the girl a couple of tissues. Hyomin wiped the tears and snot from her face before looking up at Jessica with red eyes.

 

“Did it hurt this bad when you and Yuri..” her voice trailed off as those icy eyes met hers. They held the same pain and sadness that Hyomin’s did. Jessica slowly nodded and in a shaky voice, “Yes, but it was for the best. Otherwise, Krystal-“ Hyomin cocked her head in curiosity at the mention of the name she had never heard before. Before Jessica could explain, she clutched her hand over and looked sick. Hyomin rushed to help the blonde girl into the bathroom and held the long hair back as she watched Jessica throw up.

 

“Are you alright, Jessica? You look extremely pale.”

 

“I-I’m fine. Just give me a minute.”

 

“Let’s get you to a doctor.”

 

“N-no. It’s fine-“

 

But Hyomin wasn’t taking no for an answer. When Jessica stopped her heaving, she quickly helped her back to their table to gather their things. Throwing a couple of bills on the bar, Hyomin gently guided Jessica to her car and drove to the nearest clinic from where they were. They arrived within minutes and thankfully, there was no patients at the moment. Hyomin quickly explained what had happened to the receptionist and an elderly woman came to Jessica to the doctor’s office. The brunette girl watched Jessica slowly shuffle into the doctor’s office and looked around to head to some seats prepared in the waiting area. Hyomin pulled her phone out of her bag and sighed deeply when she saw a number of messages Sunny had left her.

 

 

From: Sunny Bunny

-    Morning Minnie! I saw your note, didn’t know you had a last minute project. Sorry for tiring you out last night.

 

From: Sunny Bunny

-    Are you still working on your assignment? I was thinking of making us breakfast.

 

From: Sunny Bunny

-    I guess you’re busy. I’m at the hospital now, just got into the elevator. Will I be seeing you for dinner? Call me!

 

 

She held her phone and stared at the messages, unable to decide if she should reply her or not. As she was about to type something, Jessica’s questions invaded her mind. If you love her, do you think you’re doing the right thing by staying with her? Hyomin sighed, I love her so much. You need to do this Sunyoung. For her sake, for Jiyeon and the girls. She exited the messages and locked her phone, and it felt like she had locked her heart at the same time. 

 

After some time, Jessica emerged from the room and walked towards Hyomin with her eyes cast downwards. The taller girl stood up and made her way to Jessica, “Is everything alright, Sica? What did the doctor say?” Jessica kept quiet and Hyomin gave her some time to compose herself as the blonde girl looked like she was still deciding whether she should share what she had just heard with Hyomin. What does it matter anyway, she’s got more worries than me at this point, thought the older girl.

 

“I’m pregnant.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

Hey everyone! 

I’m still wondering if I should mark this chapter as (M) although I tried to tone down the possible scene. Makes me wonder if I should write a one-shot story. Hehe.

And yes, with Jessica.. I shall not say further. 

Hope you guys are looking forward to the next chapter!