Chapter 16: Nothing But Trouble

Crossroads

Hyomin stirred in her sleep and drowsily moved but felt a warm arm hugging her bare waist. Slowly prying her eyes open, she woke up to see the most beautiful sight in front of her and she badly wanted to caress those delicious lips that were being basked in the soft stream sunlight peeking into the room. As Hyomin lifted her hand carefully, she felt something cold brush across her chest. Her hand changed it’s course to finger the locket that Sunny had given her and a blush crept up remembering the sweet words that Sunny had written for her.

 

The brunette felt like she was being watched and flicked her eyes upward to see Sunny staring at her with adoration riddled into those dark eyes. Before she could react, she felt the arm around her waist pull her closer for their bare bodies to meet and Hyomin received a soft morning kiss that slowly deepened as their need for each other grew. The look in Sunny’s eyes turned to hungry ones as she moved on top of her girlfriend.

 

“How did I get so lucky to be with someone like you?” Sunny whispered watching that smile she loved so much grace Hyomin’s features and the morning never seemed so perfect as their breaths raced once again.

 

 

—————

 

“Sunny!”

The short blonde jumped when Sooyoung screamed in her ear, breaking her from her delicious daydreams. “What?” she snapped irritably. Sooyoung grinned and tapped her friend’s forehead, “Yah, you look like a love stricken puppy. Quit daydreaming, didn’t you hear the news?”

“What news?’

“I heard some guys talking about a new blonde girl over at Sungkyunkwan. From what I picked up, she seems to match Jessica’s description.”

Sunny frowned at the news. “That can’t be good. Any news of Jung Sooyeon brings bad mojo. Does Yuri know yet?” Sooyoung shook her head, “I don’t think so but why don’t you ask your girlfriend if she has already spotted that ice princess.” Sunny nodded and pulled out her phone to text her girlfriend. She sat thoughtful for a moment before looking back to her tall friend, “Whatever happens, keep Yuri away from there. The last thing we need is Sica reopening Yuri’s scars.” Sooyoung grimly agreed and moved to sit down when their lecturer entered the classroom. Sunny glanced down at her phone that vibrated and replied Hyomin quickly, keeping her phone out of sight.

 

From: Hyominnie

-    Sorry bunny, I didn’t see her in any of my classes earlier. Is she back?

 

To: Hyominnie

-    Hmm. Youngie heard some rumours that she was but they may be just rumours. Keep a sharp eye out for her anyway. Baby, please be careful of her if the rumours are true alright? That girl is nothing but bad news.

 

From: Hyominnie

-    Awww, you’re so sweet when you’re worried about me, Sunny Bunny. Don’t worry, I’m sure they’re just rumours anyway.

 

 

Rumours or not, Sunny could not help but feel a sense of foreboding as she stared at the couple photo Hyomin had sent her which served as her phone’s wallpaper. To make matters worse, she would not be able to step into the university to protect her girlfriend from the likes of Jessica Jung. She sighed deeply and though she was not the religious kind, prayed hard that the rumours remained as rumours and that no harm would befall her brunette angel.

 

 

—————

 

 

Hyomin looked down at her ruined shirt and lunged at Jiyeon who scampered far away, taking advantage of her unnie’s inability to keep up wearing those heels. Eunjung calmly ignored the two girls running around her and continued painting. That was until Hyomin knocked her elbow and a spatter of black paint appeared on the portrait she had been working so hard on. The two chodings stopped their running as they watched Eunjung’s face slowly turning red and was waiting for steam to rupture from her equally red ears.

 

“I’m going to kill the both of you!”

 

The lecturer shook her head miserably as the three girls chased each other around the classroom. Some of the other students were giggling watching the chase while some others grumbled at their immaturity. A knock on the door was the lecturer’s saviour as she got up from rubbing her temples and went to answer the door.

 

A tall, beautiful girl walked in, spurning gasps of surprise and envious whispers. The lecturer rapped sharply on her desk to get the attention of the three girls who did not notice the new arrival and the girl watched Hyomin tackle Jiyeon only to be knocked over like bowling pins by Eunjung who was going too fast to stop. Shaking her head, the lecturer cleared loudly which caught their attention and Jessica smirked as looks of shock appeared on the trio’s faces.

 

“It’s that evil girl!” Jiyeon yelled impulsively while pointing at Jessica.

 

“Miss Park, please behave,” their lecturer scolded.

 

“Everyone, I’d like to introduce our new exchange student, Miss Jung Sooyeon, who has returned from her studies in Los Angeles and will be joining us for a couple of months as she will be in Seoul for sometime.”

 

Watching the smirk dissolve into a sweet smile at the lecturer’s words, Jessica turned to the classroom. “Hi everyone, you can call me Jessica or Sica for short. I’ll be joining a couple of your classes to act as a mentor for my short stay here in Seoul as I am in the final year of my degree programme.” Bowing low, she stood back up and said, “Please treat me well as I get to know all of you.” Her eyes lingered on the three girls slightly longer and Hyomin could hear the sarcasm dripping in her cold voice as she continued, “I hope we all become close friends.”

 

The girls untangled themselves as the lecturer pointed out to an empty seat next to Hyomin. Clenching her jaw, the brunette moved back to her place with her blonde doppelgänger still smirking at her. She tried to ignore Jessica’s icy aura as she concentrated on painting her artwork.

 

“You paint very well.”

 

“Thanks,” came Hyomin’s short reply.

 

“The person you’re painting looks extremely familiar.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

“Oh? Looks like Sun-“

 

Her words were drowned by a loud crash when Jiyeon appeared next to them and dropped a glass bottle she was holding. “Oops,” she shrugged and turned to challenge Jessica’s cold look with her sharp one, “I think you had better sit elsewhere, you might cut yourself.” The two girls refused to back down from their staring match until their lecturer padded over to fuss over Jessica and move her to another spot, stopping only to instruct Jiyeon to clean up the mess. 

 

Hyomin looked at Jiyeon with grateful eyes as her dongsaeng grinned toothily at her. Moving to clear the mess with the younger girl, Hyomin could feel a pair of cold eyes watching them which she tried to ignore. They spent the remainder of the class in silence and the trio hurriedly left the classroom when the bell rang. 

 

They reached the cafeteria and quickly moved to their usual table with their unnies already seated there with an additional person. Jiyeon bounded happily to the table and threw her arms around Hyoyeon. “Ouf! You’re a strong one Dino,” Hyoyeon said and patted the maknae’s back as she returned the hug. Soyeon turned to the other two hoobaes, “Did you guys hear?” Eunjung glanced at Hyomin for two seconds and turned back to Soyeon to nod. Qri sighed, “So it’s true huh?” Hyoyeon who was busy trying to keep her food from being stolen from a hungry Jiyeon,  “What’s true?” 

 

“Jessica is here.”

 

“Yeah unnie! The evil girl was bullying Hyomin-unnie earlier in class.”

 

Hyoyeon’s expression turned dark at those words. “That means she’s here for a reason. If the Sica I know is still the same, she has intentions and from past experiences, that can never be a good thing.” Hyoyeon turned to look at Hyomin, “And I think the target might be you.” The other girls started freaking out while Hyoyeon watched Hyomin remain quiet as she tried to swallow her friend’s words. “How sure can you be unnie? Maybe she’s just back to bully Yuri-unnie? I’ll kick her if she tries to bully my Hyomin-unnie.” Jiyeon declared while puffing her chest out earning her amused chuckles from the older girls. “Thank you Dino, I’m sure you’ll do a fine job,” Hyomin said to Jiyeon and watched her maknae snuggle into her like a cat.

 

Hyoyeon looked at her watch and informed them that she had another dance lecture to get to. She turned to look at Hyomin as she stood up, “I’ll let Taeng know what’s going on. She usually knows what to do.” 

 

 

—————

 

 

..Naui sarangeul deo dandanhage mandeulgo..

..naege saraganeun himeul juneun geol..

 

 

“That was perfect Tae-tae!” Tiffany squealed and clapped her hands happily. Taeyeon smiled at her girlfriend, noticing the tired lines creasing Tiffany’s face. They spent hours practicing their duet and had just finished singing the song ‘Lost In Love’ for what seemed to be the hundredth time. Taeyeon glanced at her watch and saw that it was already seven o’clock, which meant they had been working hard for the past three hours with barely any rest. 

 

“Let’s go get dinner.” Tiffany nodded, “Shall we invite Hyoyeon? She said she’ll be done around this time and there’s a new restaurant near our place that serves both your favourite haejangguk.” Taeyeon agreed and pulled out her phone to see that their friend had left her a message earlier. Tiffany noticed the look of worry crossing Taeyeon’s face as she read the message, “Is something wrong?” Taeyeon did not reply her but merely passed the phone to Tiffany.

 

As Tiffany’s eyes swept pass the words, she looked back at Taeyeon who nodded and they both quickly gathered their things and Taeyeon replied to Hyoyeon’s message to ask her to meet them at the restaurant. Holding Tiffany’s hand as they walked quickly to their destination, Taeyeon’s mind was engrossed with the weight of the message she had just read. Tiffany sensed her girlfriend’s uneasiness and squeezed the hand she was holding gently, assuring Taeyeon was not alone in this. They smiled at each other and continued walking in silence as no words needed to be spoken.

 

They arrived at the restaurant and saw that Hyoyeon had already arrived along with Seohyun and Yoona. From the looks of it, the two girls had already heard the news and Hyoyeon informed Taeyeon that Sooyoung and Sunny were on their way. Their leader nodded and they moved to get a table at the back of the restaurant where they had more privacy. After they had placed their order, the group remained silent as they waited for Sooyoung and Sunny to arrive before talking about the matter at hand. Not long afterwards, the two girls arrived with a irate looking Yuri in trail. “She found out, we couldn’t stop her,” Sooyoung mouthed to Taeyeon who was looking at the tall girl questioningly. 

 

“So, were you girls planning to tell me or did I have to find it out myself?” asked Yuri as soon as she sat down. “Calm down Yuri, we just found out as well,” Taeyeon said sternly. She turned to Hyoyeon, “Did you see her for yourself Hyo?” Hyoyeon shook her head, “Didn’t need to. She’s attending the freshman classes as a mentor. I found out enough from Jiyeon to guess that she’s already marked Hyomin as her target for whatever scheme she’s plotting this time.” Sunny stood up and slammed the table at the mention of her girlfriend’s name, “What did you say?! She’s targeting Hyomin? What has she got planned? Is Hyomin okay? Why didn’t you-“

 

“That’s enough Sunny. I doubt Hyoyeon knows what Sica is up to. That girl does not seem like the kind who would attend dance classes. So sit back down.” Sunny sat back down but still looked unhappy at the news she just heard. Taeyeon looked at her friends and took a deep breath, “Look here, Sica may be back but we don’t know what her intentions are-“

 

“To destroy more lives,” muttered Yuri who quieted under her leader’s threatening look.

 

“We don’t know what her intentions are but until we do, let’s not jump to conclusions and just keep a low head. For all we know, she could have nothing planned and we’re just making assumptions that something bad is gonna happen. Arasso?” The table mumbled in agreement and Taeyeon sighed knowing they were far from feeling any better.

 

 

—————

 

Hyomin snuggled closer against Sunny’s warm chest as she listened to the steady heartbeat and Sunny wrapped her arms around the slim girl. They were currently cuddling in Hyomin’s bed with their clothes strewn all over the floor. Sunny had asked to meet her girlfriend after dinner as she was feeling a little overprotective over the younger girl and Hyomin picked her up right when she got Sunny’s message.

 

“What’s on your mind, bunny?”

 

“You.” 

 

“Still haven’t gotten enough of me?” Hyomin said cheekily as she traced the marks her nails left on Sunny’s arm earlier.

 

Hyomin yelped with a laugh as Sunny tickled the girl who was trapped in her arms. Kissing the brunette’s forehead, “I doubt I’ll ever get enough of you.” A moment of quiet passed before Sunny spoke again. “Minnie, no matter what happens, promise me we’ll always stay like this.” Hyomin looked into Sunny’s worried eyes, “Are you still worried about Sica?” Sunny sighed, “Taeng said not to worry but that’s probably cause she doesn’t have to worry about her girlfriend being in Sungkyunkwan with Jessica Jung.” Sunny clenched her free hand into the sheets and Hyomin moved to cover the small fist in hers. “I’m sure she doesn’t mean it that way, bunny.” Hearing Hyomin’s small voice, Sunny unclenched her hand to intertwine their fingers. 

 

“I-I’m just scared, you know.”

 

“I know baby, but I have Jungie, Dino and the unnies to look out for me. So Sica is gonna have a hard time getting past them.”

 

“You don’t know Sica.”

 

“Maybe I don’t, but I know that I’ll never give up on us.”

 

Hyomin lifted herself on one arm to place a reassuring kiss on Sunny’s lips which she gladly returned and moved to brazenly squeeze Hyomin’s rear drawing an appreciative moan. “Ready for round two?” Sunny wiggled her eyebrows making her girlfriend giggle adorably who moved to kiss her again. 

 

“For you, always.”

 

 

—————

 

 

Jessica’s phone ceased it’s ringing as she stepped out of the shower. Seeing the name of the person, she quickly tapped a button on the screen to return the call. After two short rings, a cheery voice answered it.

 

“Unnie!”

 

“Hey baby sister. How’s LA?”

 

“Same old, same old. I miss you, unnie.”

 

“I miss you too, Soojung.”

 

“Yah, I told you to call me Krystal!”

 

Jessica chuckled at her sister’s furious ramblings. They were very close to each other despite being born years apart and Jessica was very protective over her younger sister. Their parents had been very loving to both girls up until they found out about Jessica and Yuri’s relationship which turned things sour between flesh and blood. 

 

“Unnie, are you there?”

 

“Sorry Krystal, I spaced out for a moment.” Jessica heard her sister huff on the other hand.

 

“I was just asking when will you return to LA.”

 

“Once I’m done here baby sis.”

 

“I still don’t understand why must you be the one to help appa to sort out his business deals. He’s never contacted us before this.”

 

“It’s just for a short while Krys, I’ll be back before you know it.” Jessica said. She hated lying to Krystal but she had a mission to do and she did not want her sister to get involved. Jessica listened to her sister talk about her day for awhile before she bid her goodnight when Krystal’s words were injected with occasional yawns. Jessica stood at her window looking out to the street below as she mulled over her discussion with the man she had struck a deal with. She was so caught up with her thoughts that she did not hear Tyler walk up behind her until she felt his arms hug her from behind. Jessica turned to smile at her boyfriend and kissed him as she led him to the bed. All the worries could wait for tomorrow.

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

Firstly, to all Jessica fans, I’m sorry I made her sound mean in this fic. ><“ 

This chapter is a little short but it’s only cause it would have been too long if I combined it with the upcoming chapter. 

Starting to get a bit of a writer’s block in my current drafts but I will do my best to get through it.

Once again, thank you for the upvotes, subs and comments.

I love reading and replying to all of your comments, by the way. :3