Chapter 21: Family And Broken Hearts

Crossroads

“HYOMIN!”

 

Eunjung came running up to her friend and shoved her phone into the surprised girl’s face. “It says they found survivors from the cruise and are searching for family members to identify them.” Hyomin quickly scanned the article and looked for her phone in her bag after she spotted the hotline number to call. Eunjung watched her friend dial the number and spoke briefly with the person in charge. 

 

“They said that there are quite a number with the surname Park, but the rescue centre took my name and they will check if anyone has a daughter by my name.” Hyomin said excitedly when she hung up. “That’s great news Minnie, your parents might be among them. Did they mention when they would let you know?” Hyomin nodded, “They’ll get back to me by the end of the day.”

 

Jiyeon appeared next to her unnies, “Come on unnies, class is about to start!” Hyomin and Eunjung nodded and followed the maknae into their class to take their seats. Jessica who was filing her nails, turned to look at the brunette who was in a lighter mood than the day before, “You’re looking better.” Hyomin turned to Jessica and nodded, “Yeah, there’s news that they’ve rescued a couple of survivors and my parents may be among them.” The blonde girl went back to filing her nails without a word.

 

The two remained silent as the lecturer assigned them to continue their paired work. Jessica had not bothered Hyomin about the song she was writing ever since the mention of Yuri but something was different between them. The usually ice cold aura that Jessica gave out had subsided a little.

 

“Do your parents know about your relationship?”

 

Hyomin looked at Jessica surprised. It was the first time she’s heard Jessica speak without any resentment in her voice, “Y-yeah, they do.”

 

“And they’re accepting of the both of you?”

 

“Of course, parents love their children unconditionally. Appa told me that they would love me not matter what choices I make in life.”

 

“Hmm.. Must be nice having parents like that.”

 

Hyomin placed the pen she was holding back on the table. “What are your parents like, Jessica-ssi?” Jessica paused her filing and Hyomin noticed sadness had crept into those usually cold eyes. 

 

 

—————

Flashback

—————

 

 

“Jessica! Is this true?”

 

Her mother had thrown the photos at her face. Jessica could only watch the pictures of her and Yuri fall to the floor miserably as she kept her head bowed. Receiving no response from her daughter, the older woman reached out and threw a hard slap across the blonde girl’s face that sent the girl flying to the floor next to the strewn photographs.

 

“I thought I raised you better than this Jung Sooyeon. Do you know this will ruin our family’s name if people find out?” The older woman’s screams rang sharply.

 

Jessica held her bruised cheek and stood up to answer defiantly to her mother, “I don’t care about that. I love Yuri and she loves me.” The poor girl was sent flying again when her mother’s palm came in contact with her face again. “How dare you! What will people think of us as your parents? I should-“

 

“Omma! Stop it!”

 

Krystal ran in front of her sister and threw her arms around the older girl. She looked to their father who was seated on the couch in front of them, his face hidden from sight, “Appa! Omma! Please stop hurting unnie. Can’t you just leave her and Yuri-unnie alone?” Their mother’s face darkened at her daughter’s pleading.

 

“Is Soojung like this too? Have you corrupted her with your impure desires as well?” She raised her hand to hit the older girl once more, ignoring the screams from Krystal, when the man suddenly stood up. 

 

“Stop.”

 

He turned to look at his oldest child who looked up at him, wiping the blood from the cut on her lip. “Sooyeon, you will accept the offer tomorrow and you will take Soojung with you away from that disgusting partner of yours or so help me, I will send the both of you to a correctional facility.” His words sounded final and Jessica Jung knew that she had to make a decision she would forever regret.

 

 

—————

 

 

“There’s nothing to say about them.”

 

The blonde girl had turned her gaze to look out the window so that Hyomin could not see the small tear that had gathered in a corner of her eye. Hyomin wanted to ask Jessica more questions but she could feel that it just was not the right time to do so and went back to her work. 

 

Twenty minutes later, the bell rang and Hyomin got up to leave with Eunjung and Jiyeon. Jessica took her time and noticed that her desk mate had left behind a small note that said; You cannot control who you love. “Tch, what an annoying girl,” Jessica crumpled the note but looked around quickly to make sure that no one saw the small smile that had crept up on her lips.

 

She had barely walked out the university gates when her phone rang and she sighed when she saw the number on it. “Tell the president I’ll be there shortly,” she said and ended the call. Turning herself around, she walked back and headed towards the administration building.

 

“You called for me?” Jessica asked coolly when she stepped into the spacious office. The man was standing next to the window with a glass of whiskey in his hands and turned to face the blonde girl. “Miss Jung, it seems like the easy way did not work. We will carry out the next plan and I need you to be ready for it.” Before Jessica could respond, she watched the man suddenly erupt into a coughing fit. She noticed a stain of red on the man’s handkerchief when he had pulled it away from his mouth after the coughs had slowed.

 

“I may not have much time left on my hands,” Mr. Lee said grimly as he turned to look at Jessica once more. The blonde nodded, “I am ready to carry out my part. When will you be delivering the news to her?” 

 

“Soon.”

 

 

—————

 

 

The girls had invited their friends from Sungkyunkwan over for dinner as they waited for the news of Hyomin’s parents to reach them. The girls had cooked up a storm and the were piles of food on the table. Seohyun had suggested to put on a comedy movie and the girls were now lumped into the spacious living room laughing at one of the actor’s antics. 

 

Through all this, Sunny noticed that Hyomin was being fidgety and distracted but she understood why. It was already past six but she had not received a response from the rescue centre. She moved her hand to take her girlfriend’s and smiled at the brunette, “Just wait a little bit more. I’m sure they’ll call.” Hyomin returned the smile and nodded.

 

“Come back here with my chicken wing, Stick Legs!”

 

They watched Sooyoung wrestle a laughing Jiyeon to the floor as she sharp eyed girl stretched her hand holding onto a piece of fried chicken as far as she could. Sooyoung let out a defeated whine when Jiyeon stuffed the piece into just as she was about to reach it. Soyeon shook her head at the two girls when Sooyoung attempted to retrieve the snack using , “If I didn’t know you any better Soo, I would have thought you wanted to kiss the Dino.” The girls broke out in laughter as Sooyoung and Jiyeon turned a bright shade of pink before jumping apart.

 

“Yah, the two shikshins are shy!” Hyoyeon teased and laughed when Sooyoung turned to growl at the dancing queen. Sunny looked at Hyomin who was smiling and moved to tuck a stray dark stand of hair behind her girlfriend’s ear, “A penny for your thoughts?” Hyomin moved to allow Sunny to wrap one arm around her shoulders, “I’ve always been alone as an only child and wished I had siblings, but being here with you and the rest, makes me feel like I’ve finally got the big family that I always wished for.” Tiffany who had been listening to Hyomin’s words, smiled and placed a hand on her friend’s knee, “We’ll always be your family.”

 

 

..neombeonain neombeonain neombeonain..

..nareul tteonaji marayo..

 

 

Hyomin’s loud ringtone cut through the atmosphere and she quickly tapped the screen answer it when she saw the number of the rescue centre flash on the screen. Taeyeon moved to shush the group as Hyomin spoke.

 

“Yeboseyo?”

 

“Annyeong, Miss Park Sunyoung? I’m calling from the rescue centre and we’ve located an elderly couple who might be your parents. Shall I transfer the call-“

 

Hyomin heard some scuffling in the background and a large exclamation of relief followed the tears in her eyes when she heard a familiar voice.

 

“Sunyoung-ah! Omo, my beautiful baby, omma and appa are so sorry. We must have put you through so much worry.”

 

The girls watched Hyomin shake her head as if her mother could see her, “A-aniyo, how are you and appa? Are you both alright? Did you get hurt-“

 

“We’re fine Sunyoung, your appa and I managed to get into one of the lifeboats before the ship capsized. It took awhile for the to find us because we had lost the flares in our boat when we got hit by a big wave, but eventually your appa and one of the other men came up with an idea of making a flag out of the plastic sheets we had which got spotted by one of the rescue helicopters.”

 

Sunny smiled as she faintly heard Hyomin’s mother tell her daughter that she could not use the phone for long as there were other families who needed to contact their loved ones. The smile grew wider as she heard the lady agree to visit Hyomin right after they were sorted out and feeling better. She gently the brunette’s back as Hyomin said her goodbyes to her mother.

 

The girls erupted in a cheer the minute the phone call ended and Hyomin was pulled into a group hug by all the girls who had come to love each as sisters. “Let’s get the party started then!” Hyoyeon exclaimed loudly when they pulled out of the hug. Taeyeon nodded and motioned for the rest to follow her to raise their glasses, “To the safe return of Hyomin’s parents and to our new family of sisters!” They all laughed as Tiffany tackled the shorter girl to whine that they weren’t sisters and poor Taeyeon had to be saved by Seohyun who explained what the kid leader meant to a pouting Tiffany.

 

Hours later, there were bodies strewn all over the living room with light snoring coming from a few mouths. Yuri slowly woke up and rubbed her eyes to look at her friends around her. She slowly moved to get up from the armchair she was sitting on and gently tiptoed around Taeyeon and Tiffany who had ended up falling asleep on the floor as they were cuddling earlier. She placed a light blanket over Hyoyeon, Qri and Eunjung who had occupied the couch, and was about to sneak out to the back porch when she heard some voices coming from it.

 

She peeked out to see two tall figures seated on the steps that she and Sunny had shared a few months ago. “I still don’t understand how Yuri-unnie can really love such an evil girl.” Jiyeon’s voice sounded frustrated and the frustration grew when Sooyoung teased the sharp eyed girl, “You sound jealous, Stick Legs.” 

 

SMACK.

 

“That girl has a strong arm,” thought Yuri as she saw Sooyoung hold her arm in pain from Jiyeon’s hit. “Aniyo! It’s just that Sica girl seems so evil and she’s always bullying Hyomin-unnie. Yuri-unnie is very kind so I wonder what she saw in Jessica.” I wonder myself sometimes, Yuri thought sadly to herself. Hearing Sooyoung’s reply however, surprised her.

 

“Yuri is the kind of person that sees the best in someone rather than the bad. Jessica was not always like this, she used to be a little like Tiffany, loud but kind hearted. I guess she wanted bigger things and chose her future over Yul but something tells me that there’s more to it. It’s not like Sica to just walk away from something she believes in.” Jiyeon and Yuri both stared at the tall girl who was looking up at the stars. 

 

“Sometimes, you’re really nice like Yuri-unnie too, beanstalk,” Jiyeon said in amazement. Sooyoung turned to the younger girl in surprise, “Omo? Does that mean you like me too, Stick Legs?’’ Yuri turned away from the scene of Jiyeon trying to hit Sooyoung to death and headed back to her room with a smile.

 

She was only slightly startled when she saw Yoona snoring lightly in her room but remembered that Hyomin was probably curled up with Sunny in her room. Yuri flopped onto her bed and looked to the skies outside. She would be lying if she said she did not miss Jessica. The feisty blonde had been her ray of sunshine even with her famous icy aura and Sooyoung’s words rang in the back of her mind.

 

It’s not like Sica to just walk away from something she believes in.

 

Was there truly something more to it? Yuri thought to herself. She never dwelled on those thoughts previously because it was too painful for her to bear but now, she could not help but wonder if there was more to the Jessica Jung Sooyeon than met the eye.

 

 

..Geuraeyo nan neol saranghae eonjena mideo..

..Kkumdo yeoljeongdo da jugo shipeo..

 

 

Yuri panicked and nearly fell off the bed as she fumbled in her pockets to answer her phone. She quickly looked over at Yoona and released the breath that she had been holding when the girl lay unmoving. Pressing the mute button, she sneaked out of the room and looked at her phone to see an unregistered number.

 

“Hello?” she said softly.

 

A frown creased her face when there was no answer and she repeated herself. As she was about to end the call, the door to Sunny’s creaked open and she saw a small figure sneaking out quietly towards Yuri’s direction. “Sunny?” The figure jumped, “Yuri-ah, you scared me.” Sunny walked towards her friend and continued, “What are you doing still up at this hour?” Yuri raised her eyebrows at Sunny, “What are you doing sneaking out of your room at this hour?”

 

Yuri grinned as she looked at Sunny’s disheveled hair, knowing that the couple must have gotten busy earlier on but the danshin pretended not to notice her friend’s teasing stare. “I’m thirsty, so I’m just going to get some water.” Sunny playfully elbowed Yuri when she heard the tanned girl’s snarky reply, “I’m sure.” Yuri pretended to keel over in pain and Sunny caught a glimpse of the lighted screen in her hand. “Are you on a call?”

 

Yuri remembered that she had not hung up and placed the phone back in her ear to hear silence. She shrugged, “Must be a wrong number. No one’s speaking on the other end.” Sunny copied Yuri’s shrug as she watched her friend end the call. 

 

“Where’s Yoongie?”

 

“In my room.”

 

“Why is she there?”

 

“Sunny, I think she’s smart enough not to go back to a room that you two lovebirds are in. You already freaked Jiyeon out on Hyomin’s birthday, do you want to take Yoona’s innocence too?”

 

“Yah!”

 

 

—————

 

 

She missed that voice. 

 

She had longed to hear it unlaced with hate and contempt. Just a few tiny moments of hearing Yuri’s voice had sent Jessica’s heart racing. The blonde girl sighed and looked at her bedmate who was sleeping soundly. Slowly, she snuck out of the bed and left the room. 

 

Jessica moved quietly down the dark hallway with ease and opened the door to reveal a room that had been turned into a storage area. Although she and Tyler had moved in for a few weeks already, there were still quite a number of unpacked boxes left in the room and the blonde girl moved to one she had marked with a small pink sticker. She opened it and rummaged through some things before pulling out a small jewelry box.

 

A small tear escaped the ice princess when she slid a photograph of her and Yuri out of it. She had stared at the photo for many lonely nights in Los Angeles, her heart breaking every time she recalled the look on the tanned girl’s face when she had said those words.

 

I’m sorry Yuri, but I’m not in love with you. It was all an act to get to your cousin.

 

Her silent tears continued when she looked back into the jewelry box and saw a the small silver ring that Yuri had gifted her to mark their first anniversary as a couple. She gently placed the ring onto her finger and curled her fingers into fist on her lap as she let a few tears spill onto the ring. After a few minutes, she wiped the tears from her face and placed those precious items back in it’s home. She took a deep breath and tried to will herself to believe her mind’s words, you don’t love her anymore.

 

Stupid Jessica, you have not stopped loving her at all, said her heart.

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

I’m sorry for the scare from the previous chapter but it was essential to the story.

And a little bit more depth about Sica’s past. Any guesses as to what happened?

YulSic! Finally reached a perfect time to write about them. I honestly prefer the YulSic pairing than TaengSic or YoonYul, don’t ask me why cause I don’t know. Heh.

Have a great weekend ahead! :)