Chapter 1: A Fresh Start

Crossroads

 

 

“OUCH!”

 

Tears formed at the corner of her eyes as she looked down at her throbbing toe and glared at the corner of the suitcase that had victimised her poor foot. Sighing, she picked up her favourite sweater that was deviously camouflaging that evil suitcase and added it to a growing pile of clothes on her bed.

 

Trying to ignore the dull pain in her toe, she picked up her cup of coffee off her study desk and walked out to the tiny balcony of her studio apartment. A gust of cold evening air greeted her as she slid her balcony door open and she took a deep breath of the smell of Seoul. Hyomin brushed a strand of hair that had come loose from her bun, taking a sip of her coffee and gazed upon the setting sun. 

 

It was her first night alone in the big city. Her parents had just left to head back to Busan after dropping her off at her new home. She missed her mum after recalling her antics this afternoon when they visited Sungkyunkwan University.

 

 

—————

Flashback

—————

 

“Wow Sunyoung-ah! This university is HUGE! How are you going to find your classes?”

 

“Yah! Omma, that’s why God was kind enough to give us two legs you know.” Hyomin smiled as she watched her mother with amusement. Her mum had the expression of a child who just walked into the biggest candy factory of her life. Her dad chuckled watching his wife do an imitation of a goldfish. He turned to Hyomin, “Sunyoung, don’t mind your mum. She’s just never seen such a huge campus before.” Bringing it down to a whisper, her dad said with a smile, “Be careful, she might just want to stay her with you because you’re attending her dream university.” Hyomin turned to her dad and giggled. “I know Appa. I’m glad that you and Omma have been supportive of me even though I know you both wanted me to attend law school.”

 

Her dad smiled as he recalled his discussion with his only daughter just a few months ago. He was b with pride as he collected the morning mail that had been filled with offer letters from universities she had applied to after receiving her results for her CSAT (College Scholastic Ability Test) examinations. The postman had even congratulated Mr. Park on his daughter’s achievement which made him puff his chest out. That same evening, as the family of three sat down to discuss her choices, Hyomin had suddenly looked at her parents with tears in her eyes and told them she had already accepted an offer from Sungkyunkwan University to pursue arts. Her parents carried stunned expressions as Hyomin broke down in front of them, knowing she had crushed their dreams of seeing their only daughter succeeding as a lawyer. It was her dad who first snapped out of his reverie to stand up and hug his shaking daughter.

 

“We will always be proud of you and your choices, no matter what Sunyoung.”

 

—————

 

 

Hyomin leaned against the balcony railing, gulping the last of her coffee before turning back to her studio. As she finished drying the last plate from the early dinner with her parents, she remembered that she needed to get more instant coffee as her ditziness lead her to forget her bag of groceries she had left in her father’s backseat.

 

“I even packed three packs of it too.” Grumbling to herself as she changed out of her shorts into a comfy pair of sweatpants.

 

Mentally smacking herself for her forgetfulness, she grabbed her wallet and pulled on her favourite zip up. Deciding that she needed a breather anyway after a heavy dinner, Hyomin locked her studio door behind her and strapped on her earphones as she made her way to the mini supermarket down the street.

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading the first chapter of Crossroads.

Since this is my first time writing a fanfic, I hope to receive a lot of constructive criticism to improve my writing skills.

I apologise if the first chapter seemed a little short and lacked Sunbyung goodness.

However, I promise the next chapter there will be quite a bit of it.

Thank you once again!