Small things do the trick!

You can't get rid of me even if you want to...

 

     Three weeks had passed since the incident from the club and things were still messed up. Hyun Joong asked everyone to keep following every move, Byun Hyun does, but it proved to be useless. Of course, the teams were just as usual. Sunmi was always paired with her brother and sometimes Minwo or Manse would join them too. They always took care of the morning shift while Kyu Jong, Kwanhee and Jungmin would follow Byun Hyun in the evening. At nights, the suspect’s movement was being recorded by an infrared camera placed near his property. On the other hand, after the attack on Daegu’s most famous club appeared in all big newspapers, the NCA’s leaders found out that Kae Yin returned to South Korea without them being informed. Therefore, Hyun Joong had to give lots of explanations so he spent most of his time between Daegu and Seoul presenting all kinds of reports regarding their activity. The NCA seemed to become more and more suspicious so Hyun Joong organised a secret meeting with the whole team.

     “Look guys! I’ve been thinking a lot about our current situation! As you probably already know, NCA is checking on us and it will be really hard to keep following Byun Hyun. I know it’s unexpected but we will have to suspend our mission!”

     “What!!!”,Sunmi screamed angrily, “After all we have done to catch this guy?!! We’re just gonna let him go?”

     “I know it’s frustrating but we have no other choice! Besides we are not letting him go. We will retake the mission after NCA leaves us alone.”

     “Did they find out something”,asked Kwanghee.

     “No...but they didn’t believe the story I made up to explain Kae Yin’s return and our presence at the club…not to mention the fact that Young Saeng knew all our names and used them in the statement he had to give to the police!”

     “How about if we surrender?”,Kae Yin suddenly broke the silence.

     “What do you mean? Surrender who?”

     “You said that they only know about the incident at the club, right?”

     “Yes, that’s right. And?”

     “Well there were only two of us at the club, me and Kyu Jong”, Kyu Jong flinched when he heard his name, “It makes no sense to blow up the entire mission just because of us!”

     “What do you mean?”

     “Just tell them we acted on our own! Even if they don’t believe you, there’s no way to prove it was the other way around. We received a secret information from a mysterious source about a money transaction; you prohibited us to go but we didn’t listen and went to the club anyway. It’s the classic story!”

     “But the rest of us were there too! How do I explain the fact that we arrived before the police?”

     “That’s simple! When you realised we we’re missing, you figured out that we probably went to check out the information so you came to prevent us from making a big mistake. There still remains the recording from the camera outside the club but I think Jungmin can take care of that.”

     “Do you realise what are you asking me to do?? You can be charged for disobeying a superior! That means you can lose not only your job but you can be arrested for endangering innocent people!”

     “It doesn’t matter!”, everybody froze and Hyun Joong shook his head.

     “If you don’t care about your future at least you should care about Kyu Jong’s. You can’t involve him in this too!”

     “I have no problem with that!”, Kyu Jong shyly whispered.

     “But Kyu Jong… you can’t do that…it’s your future at risk!”,Kyu Jong turned around to see Kae Yin’s eyes and smiled.

     “I’m ready to take my chance!”

     “Maybe that won’t be necessary, boss”, Kwanhee stepped in.

     “What do you mean?”

     “Just send them away!”

     “What??”

     “It will only be until things get clearer! You can send them to our training base in Busan! We all know that our superiors are looking for something big so they won’t care if everything turns out to be two overexcited agents making a fuss over catching a drug dealer. It has been seen before! Besides if you send them away to the training base, it will be considered as a way of punishing them for disobeying your order so NCA has no reason to interfere!”

     “It seems like this is the best solution! I think we’ll go along with it! Kyu Jong, Kae Yin, go pack your bags! You are going to Busan first thing in the morning!

  Next morning

     “I have to go now, Jungmin! Try not to get yourself in any problems and if something goes wrong, you have my number…just give me a call and I’ll be on my way back!”

     “It’s going to be ok, hyung! I’m going to hang around with Kwanhee and Minwo…You don’t have to worry for me! Just go and have fun…and come back in one piece!”

     “I’m not going in a vacation, Jungmin!”

     “Yeah right! You’re going to a completely isolated place where there are probably only a few people around with a beautiful girl...ok, she does have a bad personality, I’ll give you that but still…hyung, this is the chance you’ve been waiting for!”

     “Wh..what are you talking about??!!”, Kyu Jong’s face turned red and he began to stutter. Jungmin leaned towards him and whispered something but he only won a punch from Kyu Jong. Fortunately for him Hyun Joong, Manse and Kae Yin arrived at the car.

     “Well then have a safe trip and be really careful! Nobody knows about the training base but just in case…keep your eyes open!”

     “That’s enough…stop treating us like children!”, the girl turned towards Kyu Jong, ”Let’s go already! It’s getting late!”

    The boy nodded and followed the woman inside the black, sport car. […] One hour passed since they left Daegu and Kae Yin didn’t look like she was in a mood to talk. She had her eyes closed but it was obvious that she wasn’t sleeping. Kyu Jong noticed that she was bitting her lower lip, a gesture the woman did whenever she was nervous. He saw her doing the same thing when they were at the club. Finally the boy gave up looking at her when he saw a sign with Namwan.

     “Wait this is not right! Why are we going west? Weren’t we supposed to go to Busan?”

     “Why are you being so noisy?!”, the woman opened her eyes.

     “I just saw a sign with Namwan! This is not the way to Busan!”

     “We aren’t heading towards Busan. I thought that Hyun Joong had already told you that. What a bother! Apparently there was a information leak: NCA found out about a mission we did last month in Indonesia and that means there’s probably a double agent in the village.”

     “What??? A double agent?? But I thought Hyun Joong knew everybody around there very well! How can this be happening?!”

     “Hyun Joong is too naive! Maybe now it’s time for him to find out that it’s better to only trust yourself!”, Kyu Jong noticed Kae Yin’s cold voice and couldn’t stop wondering what made her think like that. Suddenly he remembered the reason they were there in the first place.

     “But that means that our mission is compromised too!! Is that why we didn’t go to Busan??”

     “No. First of all the whole double agent problem is still not certain and second nobody aside from the team knows about the mission. Hyun Joong wanted to be sure that we keep ourselves away from there for the time being so he decided to send us to Kwangju instead.”

     “Kwangju?? They have a training base in there too?”

     “As far as I know there isn’t. He told me that it’s just a property he bought some time ago. Nobody lives there except some people that come ad clean once a week but that’s all.”

     “That means that we are going to be alone?!”, the man blushed but her cold eyes suddenly became sharper.

     “Do you have a problem with that?”

     “No…”, Kyu Jong turned his eyes back to the window when Jungmin’s words came to his mind