A hero's mask!!!

You can't get rid of me even if you want to...

 

    It was the most unexpected thing! The legend of the Diamond Ace was well known among the small neighbourhoods from Jeonju, Kyu Jong’s birth town. Rumours of an unknown hero that protected the people living in the capital of the Jeollabuk-do province started to appear when Kyu Jong was a senior in highschool. It was said that the mysterious man fought to destroy the Korean mafia but his fame spread everywhere when he saved a child from being shot by a gangster that apparently was part of a terrorist organisation. Of course, none of these were ever proved as people started to make up stories about their local hero. Soon the newspapers were filled with headlines like ‘Is Superman real?’ or ‘The masked hero seen flying at midnight’. The madness triggered by the need of the people to feel safe in their own city caused them to go on the streets at night in search of the mysterious man. Eventually their hero disappeared leaving only questions behind. After a while, people got used with their normal lives again and the hero remained just a story, the story of the Diamond Ace. However what shocked Kyu Jong was the fact that the mysterious man even had a file. Apparently, the police officers had been searching for him and since a record was found there too, it was safe to say that they had even seen him.

    “That’s funny!”,Kae Yin broke the silence.

    “What do you mean?! Do you know about him?”

    “Let’s say that I’ve heard some things…”

    “But how? I thought it was just a local legend, that unless you are from the south-west too…”

    “Please! I was born and raised in Seoul!”

    “Then how could you have heard about the Diamond Ace?”

    “Isn’t it obvious? Look at seal…the one you’ve just broken…it’s the NCA’s seal…”

     Kyu Jong turned around to see a broken seal with the same drawing that was on every file from Hyun Joong’s desk.

     “What?? You have to be kidding me? The Diamond Ace was real?...and was investigated by the NCA too?”

    “As far as I know the Diamond Ace was a former detective that betrayed the agency. The NCA members are prohibit talking about him but Hyun Joong sees him as a true legend. He never admitted it but if you ask me I think he knew the man in person…some kind of teacher. I don’t know!”

    “It’s still weird that the NCA hided the records about him in an ordinary warehouse!”

    “What better place to do so?”,Kae Yin got away from the place where she was standing and went to take the video tapes from the club.

    ”You know…I’ve always wondered why was he called the Diamond Ace?”

    “It’s about the last place where he was seen…before he went missing.”

    “What about it?”

    “The NCA agents disguised themselves as cops and went to his house. Apparently a friend betrayed him and told them his address. However, it seems that the guy already knew so he left long before the agents arrived. They searched everywhere for him and at every place he had ever been seen, including the house, they found a diamond ace.”

    “Did he put them there?”

    “Who knows! Anyway, it’s getting late! Let’s go!”

    “Kae Yin…”

    “What?”

    “…do you mind if I take his file with me? I am just curious about his identity…”

    “Whatever! They are already after us, one more won’t make any difference”

    “Thanks!”

    They managed to get out of the place before the alarm got on. It was a successful mission but somehow Kae Yin felt that Kyu Jong had lied to her. There was something more behind that story than he had told her.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Author’s note:My dear friends since tomorrow is a special holiday, I wanted to give you all a special present and stop the story for a bit of Christmas magic. As you all know today is the day when God send His son on Earth to save us. Since that moment, 2000 years ago we celebrate this holiday. Christmas is the celebration of light, the time for love, forgiveness, hope and faith. Therefore I just wanted to wish you all, whether you celebrate Christmas or not, a wonderful time with all your loved ones, be it family, friends or just people you know. Remember never to let sad things get to your heart and to always give love in order to receive it, as an old song says “Look into your heart and you’ll find love” (we are made out of love and it’s our mission to spread this feeling). So my dear friends, let this magic holiday bring light into your lives and no matter how dark life can seem in some moments, just remember to smile and keep the faith and a miracle is bound to happen. Merry Christmas everyone!!! (and remember to put a wish on New Year’s Eve)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

                              Never alone!!!

    It was already 8pm and the train hadn’t arrived yet. Staying in Daegu, even for one night, was really dangerous so the only solution was to head back to Kwanju that same night. The train station was empty. Maybe it was because of the cold weather, but the only people around were two or three lonely persons waiting to get home to be with their loved ones.

    “What time is it?”,asked Kyu Jong walking back and forth trying to get warm.

    “It’s still 8 o’clock! Asking that twice a minute won’t help!”,Kae Yin told him coldly.

    “Aren’t you cold? I’m freezing!!!”

    Kae Yin didn’t answer him but instead used her breath to warm up her hands.

    “I’ll be right back! Just wait for me, ok?”

    “Where are you going?”,but the question came too late as Kyu Jong had already disappeared from her sight, “Now where did he go! If we lose the train because of this, I’m going to kill him!”

    It took Kyu Jong only 10 minutes to come back running.

    “Sorry I’m late!”

    “Where were you?”

    “Surprise!”,Kyu Jong gave Kae Yin a cup of coffee, “I think it’s a bit cold! It took me quite a while to find an open store. I’m really sorry!”

    “Thanks!”,the woman whispered.

    “No problem!”

    Finally the train arrived. Kae Yin went in first followed by Kyu Jong. She quickly found a place at the window and the man sat in front of her. Soon after, the silence found its way. Although it was really late, none of them seem to be able to fell asleep.

    Outside the window it was totally another world. There were small villages that were rising one after another just like small mushrooms on an empty field. Small lights seemed to be flying all over the place. However, no soul could be seen. It was cold and it was not hard to imagine that everybody was inside gathered around the fire, maybe eating, sleeping or telling stories. It was like a fairy tale taking over reality! Away from that magical world was Kae Yin. She still remembered the winters from her childhood. It was every year the same. Her father would go make them hot chocolate while her mother was cooking dinner. Meanwhile a war was taking place in the living room. Hyung Joon was younger than her but definitely much stronger so the fight for presents was already a common thing. Now, those times seemed so far away…she was alone on this world or maybe not because lately a sweet smile was standing always near her.

    “Kyu Jong?”,Kae Yin called him not looking away from the window.

    “Yes!”

    “Is there someone that you miss?!”

    “Huh? What do you mean?”

    “If there’s somewhere you would like to be right now or someone you would like to see…”

    The man smiled, ”Of course! I would like to see my mom, my little sister, Jungmin, Hyun Joong…everybody…”. He then kept quiet for a while waiting for an answer that never came. “How about you”

    “I guess there’s someone for me too…Kyu Jong, have you ever regretted something you have done or a decision you have made?”

    “What’s with all this questions?”

    “Just answer me!”

    “Yes, of course! Making mistakes is normal but that doesn’t mean we have live from regrets. Sometimes I think about how would my life be like if I would have stopped my father from going out the night he disappeared. Maybe now I would be home like everybody else, playing games with my family and singing songs…”, Kae Yin looked down. “But you know what?”

    The woman raised her head to see a smiling Kyu Jong: ”I’m really happy to be here with you!”

   Kae Yin instantly blushed and turned around to avoid letting him see that.

    “You’re so funny!”

   Kyu Jong’s replay was interrupted by a sharp noise. Suddenly the train stopped.

    “What happened? Why did we stop?”

    “I don’t know! Wait here, I’m going to find out!”

    “I’m not staying here by myself!”

   Kyu Jong laughed and they both got out of the train.

    “I’m really sorry but we won’t be going anywhere for tonight!”

    “What???”,both Kae Yin and Kyu Jong shouted.

    “The train has some problems with the engine and the mechanic is absent! We’ll just have to wait for a team to come and help us. Unfortunately they won’t be here until tomorrow.”

    “How can a train leave without a mechanic?”

    “We’re really, really sorry! He got sick and we couldn’t find anybody in time to replace him. You know it’s…”

    “Ahh…Whatever!”,Kae Yin left and Kyu Jong apologised and rushed after her.

    “What’s wrong with you?”

    “Do you mean you are ok with spending all the night in the middle of nowhere?”

    “I wasn’t referring to that! You’ve been acting weird all day long! First you disappear for three days and you don’t wanna tell me where did you go, then you want to do everything alone…also, all those weird questions. What’s wrong?”, his voice softened.

   Kae Yin ignored him and went back to her place still staring outside the window. Kyu Jong sighted and followed her. He knew that no matter what he does, it won’t change who she was, so the best way to get close was to let things evolve on their own. However, that doesn’t mean that seeing her acting so weird wasn’t worrying him. Kae Yin was usually cold and never let anything disturb her but now something wrong. She was distracted and kept watching something outside the window.

   All of a sudden, the woman got up and moved to the seat next to him. She put her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. Kyu Jong was in shock but he knew that asking will only ruin the moment. He just smiled sweetly and looked outside the window. It was snowing!

    “Merry Christmas, Kyu Jong!”,a whisper made his heart race.

    “Merry Christmas, Kae Yin!”