On your trail...

You can't get rid of me even if you want to...

 

  Somewhere near Daegu, headquarter

    “Hyun Joong!!! I am really worried!!!He never did this!!!”

    “Jungmin, calm down! Worrying like this won’t do any good! Maybe he went out and left the phone in the house.”

    “No!! Kyu Jong never forgets his phone! I tried to call him all morning! Something really bad must have happened!”

    “You can’t know this for sure!”,Kwanhee put a hand on Jungmin’s shoulder.

    “You don’t understand how serious this is! Hyuuun Joong!!Kae Yin doesn’t answer her phone either, right?”

   Hyun Joong put a fake smile.”Look! I’m sure they are fine but I’ll send an agent to check on them if that will calm you down!”

    “Thank you, hyung! Meanwhile I’ll try to locate his phone!”,Jungmin left the room leaving Hyun Joong and Kwanhee behind.

    “I’m sorry to tell you that but you don’t seem that convinced yourself?”

    “Something weird is going on, Kwanhee, and it’s not good…not good at all!”

  In a small neighbourhood in Kwangju

    Kyu Jong woke up really early in the morning just to realise that Kae Yin was not in her room. He remembered the day before and the fact that she hasn’t said a word since he came back. It wasn’t hard to imagine that the reason behind her anger was his reckless actions and that made the man feel really guilty. . Just when Kyu Jong was about to go out and search for her, Kae Yin opened the door.

    “Morning!”,the woman said with a weird smile and went into the kitchen caring two bags full of food and other things.

    “Where were you?!”,the man asked carefully not to make her angry. However, she seemed to be in a good mood and answered right away without turning around.

    “I went to buy breakfast! We still need to eat while we decide what to do next.”

    “We?!”,Kyu Jong wanted to whisper that to himself but the word came out louder than he expected.

    “Yes! Didn’t you said that before you send me away?”, she had an evil smile on her face obviously not expecting him to answer, ”Sit down now! I’ll bring you the food right away!”

   Kae Yin set up the table and rushed into her room.

    “Aren’t you going to eat??”,Kyu Jong shouted.

    “I’ll be back in a minute!”

   In the bedroom, the atmosphere was really weird. Kae Yin bumped her head into the wall and closed her eyes.

   The breakfast was really quiet. No one dared to say anything but the problems were far from being over.

    “Kae Yin!”,the woman looked up.

    “I have something to tell you! I know you won’t like it and it may upset you but you need to know. I have been thinking a lot about the attack and there’s something that doesn’t match. There were only two people that knew about the mansion, you and…”

    “Stop! I know what you are thinking and it’s wrong!”

    “But Kae Yin…he was the one who send us here! I don’t want to believe this either but it’s the only explanation. Nobody else knew about this place!”

    “Maybe it was the driver…or me! Maybe I tricked you because I hate you and I want to see you dead…maybe...”

    “It makes no sense”,Kyu Jong let out a little laugh, “If you wanted to kill me you wouldn’t need those guys! You could have killed me in the sleep or poison the foos! Besides I don’t see you as a yakuza boss! And the driver? Hyun Joong would never send someone with us if he had the slightest doubt. There’s no other way! He did it!”

    “I said stop it!”,Kyu Jong froze, “Hyun Joong will never try to kill us! Never!”

    “Maybe not you…but me! I mean he’s the one who mysteriously appeared to my office and recruited me into the team, he’s the one that knows all about me and my past…it’s really confusing!”

    “I don’t care! He didn’t do it!”.It was the first time Kyu Jong saw Kae Yin being so defensive and for some reason it made him angry.

    “Then how do you explain that?? How do you explain that they knew exactly our location, our rooms…everything”,the woman remained quiet.

    “It’s not him”,she whispered,” he saved my life…he can’t be a traitor too.”

   Kyu Jong’s anger disappeared hearing her soft voice as if she was about to break in tears.

    “Look! After my parents were killed, I didn’t have an easy time! Many things happened and if that tragedy wasn’t enough I also lost the most important thing in my life…Hyun Joong was the one who saved me! He found me and took me in the NCA. He never asked any question, never asked for anything in return…I’m sorry but I have to believe in his innocence. I owe him that!”

   Kyu Jong was really shocked but at least now he knew what was behind the relationship of Hyun Joong and Kae Yin.

    “I understand…than I’ll trust you too!”

    “Huh??”

    “Let’s go find out who tried to kill us! But first we need a plan…”,the man smiled.

    “Thanks…”,she mumbled.

  Back at the headquarter

   Hyun Joong ran towards the computer room breathing really hard.

    “What’s wrong, hyung??”

    “I’m sorry, Jungmin! I should have listened to you!”

    “You’re scaring me! What happened??”

    “You were right! I sent some agents to check the mansion and Kae Yin and Kyu Jong are not there.”

    “Maybe they just went out like you said!”

    “All the house was turned upside down and there were signed of forced entry. Something really bad happened in there!”

    “No…this can’t be happening! Hyung!!! What if they were kidnapped or even worse…”

    “Calm down! We have to control ourselves and think of the best way to help them. From what I understood, they found traces of a battle in the garden. Apparently, Kyu Jong and Kae Yin put quite a fight and judging from the bullets and weapons found, they won.”

    “Really?! For a second I thought my heart was going to explode…then where are they now!”

    “Don’t worry if things are the way I think, both of them must be hiding somewhere in the city.”

    “Then why haven’t they called us yet??”

    “Think of it!! I was the only one that knew their location. If someone else found out that mean we have a traitor among us. I’m sure Kyu Jong figured that out…it’s not safe to contact us. They are on their own this time!”

    “But hyuuuung!!”

    “We can’t do anything for them now but trust Kyu Jong! He’ll manage to get out safe and sound. Meanwhile, I need you to help me with something! We have to find out who the traitor is and fast.”

    “Count me in!”,Jungmin shouted

   Meanwhile in Kwangju

    “This isn’t going to take us anywhere!”, Kyu Jong broke the silence rubbing his head, “I can’t remember anything important from that night. Those guys didn’t mention anything, not a name, not a place, nothing. They just wanted to kill us. Besides they are mercenary, that means that we have no chance of ever finding them again. They were probably hired through a connection and payed with cash…there are no transaction, nothing to trace. It was a clean mission.”

    On the other hand, the woman seemed to be absorbed into her own thoughts.

    “Kae Yin, are you listening to me?!”

    “I think we’ve focused on the wrong part of the problem!”

    “What do you mean?”

    “We kept wondering who did that…how about we ask ourselves why?”

    “Why? Because they wanted us dead!”

    “Yes! But why?”, Kae Yin turned around to face a confused Kyu Jong. “Who were they after…me?...you? Think about it! The only reason we were here was because an ordinary robbery case…there is no reason for them to try to kill us unless…”

    “They thought we have something…”

    “Now I get it! The whole NCA fuss…their sudden interest in our missions…it wasn’t because Hyun Jong didn’t tell them about my arrival. They wanted us apart from the team…it was all a trap and we walked right into it.”

    “You don’t think Kwanhee was the double agent, do you?”

    “No, he’s too naïve to pull out such a plan…but that confirms the theory about a traitor among the team.”

   “Anyway, we have to find out what made them think we are a threat for them…thinking about it, all this started after the incident at the club…but nothing special did happen there, did it?”

   “We need the surveillance videos!”

   “They were probably collected by the police as evidences and since the case has been closed, most likely, they were stored in a maximum security facility.”

    “That means we have to go to a short trip!”

    “What?!!Tell me you’re not suggesting that we break in and steal them??”

    “Well is not like we have an alternative or something like that! We can’t count on Jungmin anymore. This is our only chance!”

    “Aishh, I have a bad feeling about this!”, pouted Kyu Jong.

    “You could just stay here, you know…”

    “And miss all the fun?! No, thanks!”

Kae Yin smiled a bit at his new childish partner. For the first time in a long time she was not alone…not anymore.