Put It All Aside

Normalcy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was becoming more familiar now. The walls felt more like hugs than constraints. The lights felt more like warmth than burning. The floor felt more like grass than ice.

It was the second week but something unknown was making Nari feel a little more comfortable. Her nerves usually wouldn’t have settled by now but as she stepped into her new school on the first day of the week for the second time, she felt less than usual. Not as many worries, no concerns, not nearly as many problems. I guess I can get used to some things… she thought.

She smiled slightly as she walked further in, not bothering to look at the sunbae’s surrounding her, and continuing her way to class. Then suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, she saw a pair of eyes. They were staring at her with strong intent.

She walked over, trying to maintain her smile, and he smiled slightly as well.

“Nari, I was disappointed you didn’t show up last week,” Kyungsoo began.

Nari looked down at her feet, her lips trembling and the stickiness becoming evident in her stomach.

“Zitao was eager to see you again,” he added.

Guilt washed over her like a tidal wave, knocking her out though she was still standing.

Huang Zitao, another reason to feel bad that she didn’t show up. The middle school sunbae that was probably most excited to see her again.

“I’m sorry.” She managed to make a noise.

“Why couldn’t you come?” Kyungsoo asked calmly.

Nari remained staring at the floor, now fiddling with her fingers.

“Do you not want to join?” he pressed.

Silence continued.

“Did you feel uncomfortable again?” he whispered dejectedly.

Nari took a deep breath, wiping her hands on her skirt. She lifted her head slightly, enough to see his mouth and it’s unhappy shape and to enhance her stickiness even further.

“My brother wanted to walk me home,” she replied hesitantly.

His eyebrow’s furrowed, “What?”

“That’s why I wasn’t there.”

He nodded gradually.

“Is that your way of saying you don’t want to do it?”

Her eyes lifted to look at him, an unreadable expression. Her face struggled to keep composure as her stomach churned like buttery guilt. Her nose twitched uncontrollably and quivered irrepressibly. She knew she had to answer, because she knew that wasn’t what she meant at all, but didn’t want to move. She wanted to open and tell him how eager she was to join the music club. Tell him how much she wanted to make music with him again. Tell him how much she missed him when he wasn’t there last year.

She took a deep breath, staring further into his indecipherable eyes, willing herself to speak,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter