Made It All Melt Away

Normalcy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Choose… choose… choose…

That single word didn’t stop running through Nari’s head for the past three days. Not when she stepped out of the house, not when she was supposed to be listening to Sunhi rant about the maths midterm, not when she was editing her compositions. That word, along with three faces. Like a song on repeat. Some might say she was going crazy.

The only thing she could be sure of was her deep desire that things would go back to how they used to be…

Nari’s lunch times were still spent with Sunhi. Though she’d decided to talk to all of them, every time she saw any of the boys, her heart shrivelled back up and words fell flat. She actually tried to come to the lunch hall on that Monday but, seeing them all in one place, with that one word banging in her head, she quickly grabbed Sunhi’s hand and dragged them out of the room.

The next few days went much like the past few weeks. Nari’s avoiding skills were unrivalled. It was a struggle to make it through rehearsals with Kyungsoo’s eyes on her every other second but, she did it somehow. Much like today.

Nari had managed to slip out just before the end of Kyungsoo’s song, and made her way through the halls. No awkward goodbyes today. And it was going great until she reached the front gate and saw the person she should’ve expected. What a day to forget…

"Ready to go, Nari?" Baekhyun waltzed up to her with a smile.

She smiled queasily. Choose… she thought as they began to walk out of the school. Their silence didn’t last long and she wasn’t looking forward to all the questions he was sure to have for her.

"How have you been?" he started, fiddling with his fingers.

Nari pressed her lips together tight, shrugging slightly.

"You’ve been thinking a lot, haven’t you?"

That’s all I do anymore… she thought.

"Do you know what you want?"

She shook her head gradually, grasping at her backpack straps. Choose…

"I won't pressure you anymore then. I know you've been avoiding me. You’ve been avoiding everyone and it’s clear why. You're too gentle to be able to say it to my face. It's okay if you don't like me." Baekhyun sighed.

Her feet stopped. "That's not the reason." It’s not the reason…

His eyes widened, turning to her hesitantly. "What's wrong then?"

Nari finally looked into his eyes and, boy, was that a mistake. Every emotion she could think of came rushing into her brain, her cheeks flushing a deep red. She shook her head over and over because maybe if she did it hard enough, those words would fall out.

"What's wrong, Nari?" Baekhyun ask

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter