Starting Off The Year

Normalcy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Long-time no see, Nari thought as she stared up at the large, unfamiliar building. It had been a month. She wished it could be more every year. More time, less obligation. More fun, less work. Her wish never did come true though and that's why she was standing reluctantly at the entrance for yet another year to start.

"Why aren't you going in?" a voice asked from behind her.

She turned to see Sehun standing there with his hands in his pockets, looking at her as if she was an idiot. She smiled softly.

Oh Sehun, her first and only friend at school during primary. He’d been her body guard, therapist, chauffeur, chef, but most importantly best friend since their first year. He had dark, shaggy hair and eyes as brown as leather, that had become so much more striking compared to the soft goofiness of his younger years. His broad shoulders and legs as long as spiders’ held off any threats towards Nari and him, which she appreciated every day. Without Sehun, who knew who or where she’d be.

"I don't know," she sighed as she turned back to face the building.

Nari could feel him roll his eyes behind her but she didn't mind. Then, suddenly, he grabbed her arm and began pulling her into the building with him.

"I'm not letting you be late for school. That's no way to start high school."

"Who knew you could be so studious."

He scoffed. She smiled slightly as he led her further and further into the school, somehow knowing the direction to the class that she didn't even know she was in yet. They passed numerous faces she knew she'd see again in this year of schooling but one face in particular surprised her. Her eyes made contact with his and she unconsciously lifted her only free hand up to wave at him as Sehun dragged her away. He waved back and she couldn't help the smile growing on her face.

Sehun turned around as he finally stopped outside a classroom, 1-A.

"Are we in the same class again?" Nari asked hopefully.

"I'm in 1-B with Jongin," Sehun replied.

Nari's smile weakened which caused him to put his hands on her shoulders.

"You'll have Sunhi in 1-A with you. The four of us may not get to see as much of each other as we normally did in middle school, since the classes are gender streamed, but I'm sure you'll be fine."

Nari's face instantly brightened, "Thanks, Sehun. I'll see you at lunch."

She waved at him and he smiled before heading off to his class. She quickly headed into her classroom and sat down beside her other best friend. Sunhi turned her head swiftly and her eyes widened so much they might've popped out of her head if she hadn't started talking.

"Nari! I feel like I haven't seen you in years even though I only saw you yesterday!" Sunhi exclaimed, grabbing Nari into a hug.

Choi Sunhi, the first girl to ever approach her willingly in middle school. With her smile as bright as ten suns, Sunhi excitedly sat next to her on the first day when she saw Nari all by herself. Her sparkling eyes and hair that flowed like the ocean enhanced by the sun light shining behind her made Nari think she’d met an angel. A thought she still held to that day.

"It's good to see you too," she replied.

-

"Let's walk home together!" Sunhi exclaimed, grabbing Nari's hand as she finished packing up her bag.

She pulled her into the hallway in record time, hooking arms with her. As they turned into the main exit, they spotted Sehun and Jongin waiting at the gates.

"What are you guys doing here?" Sunhi asked excitedly.

Kim Jongin, her third and final best friend she’d only made because she forced Sehun into the basketball club in middle school to make other friends. Jongin had been more than willing to meet her and made her feel strangely comfortable from the first moment they met. A perfectly trimmed haircut and brown orbs that reminded her of a puppy, Jongin had successfully slotted into their tight knit group.

"It's our first day. We always walk home together on the first day of semester," Jongin explained.

Sunhi nodded in r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter