I Wasn't Fine

Normalcy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nari closed the front door, leaning against it harshly. She took a deep breath, pressing the present hard against her gradually calming heart. When she opened her eyes, however, it raced all over again as she saw her ever-eager mother staring at her with wide eyes of curiousity.

"Mum..." Nari muttered.

"Was that a boy I just saw?" Her mother grinned from ear to ear.

She gripped the paper bag, lips sealed.

"A boy that I don't know?!" Her mother exclaimed. Nari nodded hesitantly, immediately being tackled into a hug.

"Oh my goodness! I cannot believe it."

"It's not that big of a deal, mum. He's just a sunbae in my club."

"Sunbae?!" Her mother let go of their embrace, looking into her with bright eyes, "My little girl is all grown up and dating boys. I'm so proud."

"We're not dating..."

"Not yet! I was going to ask you about your exam study when you arrived but, oh, don't even worry about maintaining your grades, honey, you date as much as you like."

Nari smiled sweetly, "Um, thanks?"

They giggled heartily. Her mother smiled before turning away, both of them only now spotting Baekhyun standing further down the hallway.

"Baekhyun! Did you hear the great news? Nari's got herself a boy!" Her mother exclaimed as she walked passed him. He smiled lightly.

Nari and Baekhyun were left awkwardly and silently alone in the hallway, simultaneously too much and not enough space spread between them for Nari’s liking. To make matters worse, their silence was soon cut by the shrill excitement of her mother announcing to everyone and their dog Nari’s exploits with a ‘boy’. She smiled uncomfortably towards Baekhyun.

"A boy?" He crossed his arms, raising an eyebrow as he lessened the gap between them.

"It was only Kyungsoo sunbae,” she explained.

His jaw noticeably tightened before he smiled, "Really?"

"He found out it was my birthday, so he took me for ice cream instead of rehearsing." Nari closed quickly, shocked at her automatic response. Why am I explaining myself to him…? She wondered. She’d gotten so used to his incessant prying and eventually telling him everything that it must’ve become default now to just say it.

Baekhyun chuckled, though you couldn’t say it was pleasant. It sent shivers down Nari’s spine.

"That's awfully nice of him,” he stated.

Nari nodded nervously. Her eyes were locked with his strange gaze, and she wanted so bad to avoid them in that moment. He peered into her with a certain intensity, like he was peeling her away layer by layer until only a measly centre was left. One that only he could decide was adequate or not.

Luckily for Nari, the peeling was short lived as Chanyeol and Jongdae walked into the hallway.

"What's going on? Why is mum so excited?" Chanyeol asked.

Nari looked at Baekhyun pleadingly, willing him to keep his mouth shut. His eyes instantly softened as he smiled weakly.

"She just got worked up when she saw Nari actually speak to me,” he explained.

Chanyeol and Jongdae both ‘ah’ in understanding. Chanyeol moved closer to Nari, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

"Happy Birthday, Nari," Jongdae stated.

"Happy Birthday, Jongdae oppa," Nari replied. They smiled at each other brightly.

"To the party!" Chanyeol exclaimed, pulling Nari into the main lobby of their parent’s restaurant.

Glancing around she saw her friends bowing and greeting her parents with cheerful smiles in one corner. In the other she could see Jongdae’s family talking with her sister animatedly. Chanyeol let go of her to join their sister, easily slotting into the conversation. She looked back at her friends to see Sehun walking towards her.

"How was rehearsal?" he started.

It would be better if I didn’t mention skipping, right…? She thought.

"Same as always." Nari smiled.

Jongin and Sunhi soon joined them.

"Happy Birthday, Nari,” they said in unison. They glared at each other in response.

"Thanks guys." Nari giggled.

"We don't get to see much of you these days since you're so busy with rehearsals. I was worried we wouldn't even get to say that to you,” Sunhi replied, ignoring Jongin’s continuous glare.

Nari’s stomach churned with guilt. "It's not like my birthday is that important anyway. You don't have to worry about it."

All of their eyes widened in shock.

"Who else is going to worry about it then? We can never let you forget how old you’re getting,” Jongin explained.

"Says the oldest one here,” Sehun muttered, smirking lightly.

Jongin scoffed, speechless, stepping away from Sehun as he clutched his heart. Sehun smiled cheekily, wrapping an arm around Jongin’s shoulders, pulling him towards Nari’s siblings.

"It must be a special day,” Sunhi stated with a knowing smile.

"Why?" Nari asked.

"Even Sehun is smiling."

There was no mistaking the evident smile on Sehun’s face, his cheekiness overflowing as he flicked Jongin’s forehead.

"I told you. He does know how," Nari sighed as she stared at him, "He just doesn’t always show it."

Turning to Sunhi with a smile, they move towards everyone to begin setting up the dinner tables.

-

Nari sat unexpectedly comfortably between her brother and Sunhi around the circle formation of the tables they had managed to create in the centre of the restaurant. Everyone was happy, no one had asked her any prying questions, adults hadn’t unnecessarily pointed her out, it was a solid evening so far. It was then that Nari’s mum and Jongdae’s mum snuck away to the kitchen, soon coming back with two cakes, sparklers burning swiftly. They placed the cakes in front of Nari and Jongdae. Everyone sung happy birthday and they blew out the candles. Nari’s eyes widened as her mother stood, glass in hand.

"I'm so proud of both of you. Jongdae and Nari. Jongdae is almost finished high school. Nari is composing for her brothers final school festival. Both of you are growing up so fast," she started, placing her free hand on her chest.

Jongdae and Nari smiled.

"If you'd asked me at the start of the year if Nari would be okay in high school, I don't think I would have said yes. But seeing her now, talking and having fun with her brother's friends like it's no problem, walking home with sunbaes like it's no big deal, my heart is at ease. You've matured so much over these past few months, Nari. So have you, Jongdae. And it makes me worry less about sending you two out into the big wide world."

Applause echoed through the room. But N

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter