I Have To Choose?

Normalcy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nari sat at the bottom of the stairs, her head resting on her knees. It had been five minutes since she’d walked down to the lounge room and jumped back behind the wall as soon as she saw Baekhyun sitting on the couch.

Yifan’s words kept spinning through her head; no amount of deep breathing would make it go away. She knew she had to say something. Because Yifan was right, they were hurting more than her. But, the real challenge was turning thought into action. Which was why she was pepping herself at the bottom of the stairs.

Baekhyun oppa. Baekhyun oppa, I have something-. Baekhyun oppa, I have something to say.

I’m sorry.

She stood. She walked. Their eyes met. He smiled, lips quirking playfully. Like they always did. She pressed her lips together, pulling her bag straps nervously, before opening , only to be interrupted.

“Nari! How do you keep getting prettier? Isn’t my sister the prettiest?” Chanyeol exclaimed as he waltzed into the room with Jongdae in tow.

“Sure. She’s the prettiest girl in the world.” Jongdae rolled his eyes.

“I’m being serious!”

“So am I!”

They scowled at each other menacingly as they continued to whale and argue. Nari stood, winded, heart sunken. I guess I can do it later… she thought hopelessly, if I can.

As she zoned out the argument, Baekhyun slid over to stand beside her.

He came closer, whispering in her ear. “They’re so loud, aren’t they?”

Almost jumping out of her skin, she withheld the tingling shivers down her spine as she replied. “Yeah…”

“We should get going. They’re not going to stop fighting.” He winked, grabbing her arm, leading her to the front door and out of their house.

The usual burning sensation lined the mark of his hand on her arm, making her all too aware of it as it spread through her body. She never could get used to his touch.

They had only walked a few metres before Chanyeol came running out, a nonchalant Jongdae trailing behind.

“Hey! Who said you could touch my sister? Don’t taint her pure skin!” He ran up, ripping Baekhyun’s hand away. The heat gradually flushed out of her body as he was pushed further away.

“It’s not like it’s the first time…” Baekhyun retorted.

Chanyeol’s eyes flared but before he could yell, Nari spoke up.

“Um, let’s just go, please.”

She took Chanyeol’s hand, leading the group forward. They babbled on and on, random nonsense about school, or clubs, or friends, but Nari had zoned out as they walked. She just wanted to get to school as quickly as possible.

They turned the corner, Jongdae begging that they stop in the convenience store they just passed, and Nari’s heart sunk again that day as she saw Sunhi, Jongin and Sehun walking towards them. Sunhi’s eyes widened, racing over in front of the boys, attaching herself to Nari as they stopped at the crossing lights.

“I’m so sorry! Jongin wouldn’t let us stop at the convenience store this morning…” she whispered to her.

Nari smiled weakly. “It’s okay. Since Chanyeol oppa is here, he won’t say anything. I think…”

“Alright but, just in case, I’ll stick by your side. Like gum!” She tightened her grip on Nari’s arm.

“What are you two muttering about?” Chanyeol squeezed Nari’s hand.

She turned to him frantically. “Nothing.”

Sehun and Jongin finally caught up to them. Nari’s stomach churned at the sight of Sehun’s smile. Yifan’s words echoed in her head once more but she shook them off.

“Sehun, long time no see.” Chanyeol winked. “Nice to see you too, Jongin.”

Sehun nodded obediently to all of the boys, Jongin chuckling along.

The light turned green and they finally started walking again. Nari and Sunhi led the pack, Chanyeol reluctantly letting go of his sister. She hoped to distract herself with Sunhi’s endless commentary but, their ears too easily tuned into the conversation behind them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter