Losing Side...?

Normalcy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunhi rose from her desk as she spotted Nari trying to slip out of the classroom.

"Nari where are you going?"

Nari turned to her with an awkward smile. "I have rehearsal, remember...?"

"That's weird cause I bumped into Kyungsoo sunbae at the gate this morning and he said he got you out of lunch rehearsals..."

Nari’s stomach churned like butter as Sunhi eyed her. Thanks Kyungsoo sunbae… she thought hopelessly.

“I guess that’s true.”

"Let's go then." Sunhi grabbed her hand and dragged her down the hallway.

"Wait! I just – I can't be in the lunch hall right now."

Nari took Sunhi’s arm, pleading with her frantic eyes. She’d tried so hard to avoid everyone up until this point and now Sunhi was going to ruin it like it was nothing. What was the point in ghosting Sehun’s messages if she was just going to appear in front of him like it was nothing? That was most definitely not her style. As she thought about the horrid scene that would await her in the lunch hall, she had to push back shivers.

"Okay, okay, why don't you find a spot for us by the football fields then? I'll buy lunch as discretely as possible and meet you there." Sunhi let go of her hand with a reassuring smile.

Nari nodded slowly as she watched Sunhi walk away. She scampered off to the football fields, taking deep breaths. Who knows what would’ve happened with both Sehun, Baekhyun and Chanyeol in one room with her? Her frantic heart could rest for another day. As she made a mental note to be extra nice to Sunhi, she sat down underneath the stands along the football field.

Ten minutes passed with Nari fiddling aimlessly with her skirt hem and she could finally see Sunhi running over to her with a bag of goodies. She’d brought kimbap, chips, chocolate and banana milk. They dug in silently, Nari not daring to start the conversation. Though she knew it was about time to explain herself, at least to Sunhi, everyone knew she wasn’t the type to make the first move.

Suddenly, a buzz came from Sunhi’s pocket and she slipped out her phone. She smiled awkwardly. "I just got a text from Jongin. He's asking where I am."

Nari fiddled with the straw of her milk.

"Is something wrong? You don't have to tell me if you're uncomfortable. I just want to help."

"I'm kind of trying not to see someone..."

"Is it Jongin?"

"No." Nari chuckled.

"Then who?"

She pulled out the straw, stabbing it in and out of the lid. "Sehun and..."

"And...?"

"Baekhyun."

Sunhi nodded like she understood but of course kept prying. "Did they do something wrong?"

"No... it's more like I did something wrong." Nari smiled queasily.

"What happened?"

"Well, last week, after rehearsals, I met Sehun. And he – he told me ... that he liked me. And I sort of ran away."

Sunhi sighed, chuckling speechlessly. "I'm not even surprised."

"I know... I'm terrible, aren't I?" Nari frowned, her stomach churning just remembering the guilt she felt as she ran away that day.

"I mean I was expecting that. We all know how much you love to avoid any form of conflict."

She took a bite of her kimbap. Then some chocolate. Then ate a few chips. Then sipped her milk. Nari sat expectantly, waiting for more words but Sunhi kept eating. Wasn’t she surprised at all that their best friend confessed to her?

"You aren't surprised about Sehun?" Nari finally spoke up.

Sunhi plastered a knowing smirk. "Jongin and I have been waiting years for this to happen. It was all a matter of time." Her smirk swiftly wiped away as she came to realisation. "But what does this have to do with Baekhyun oppa?"

"Well, that was the day he walks me home after club activities. So, I was stuck with him for the rest of the afternoon." Here it comes… she thought.

"So ...?"

"He kept asking me what was wrong so – so I kind of ended up telling him what happened."

"Ah, so you're embarrassed?" Sunhi smiled sympathetically, patting Nari on the back.

"There's more story actually..." Her hands grew stiff as she struggled to jab the milk lid more.

Sunhi’s eyes widened. "More?!"

"Before we got home, he took me to a park by my house. And he kind of, sort of confessed to me too..."

Nari shut her eyes, simultaneously glad she’d managed to say it and regretting ever opening . Tears crowded at the edge of her eyes and she was reliving the moment all over again. Her body shook like a phone on vibrate. Pressing her lips together, she opened her eyes to her a frozen Sunhi.

"Say something please..." Nari begged.

"Gosh, your life really is a rollercoaster, isn't it?" She chuckled awkwardly. "He must've felt pretty threatened if he confessed on the same day." She took another bite of her chocolate nonchalantly.

Nari frowned, her nerves gradually releasing as the words processed in her head. "What do you mean?"

"I guess he should since you and Sehun have been best friends for ten years. He must know almost everything about you. Whereas Baekhyun may have known you for the same amount of time but he's only just getting close to you. He knows he's on the losing side."

"Losing side...?" Now she was confused…

"What? Are you not in love with Sehun? Have I been shipping the wrong couple?!" Sunhi almost dropped her chocolate as she exclaimed.

"No! I mean – I don't know! Emotions are hard." Nari flailed frantically, wishing she had an answer to give her.

Sunhi just smiled, patting her on the back once more. "It's okay, Nari. You've got time to figure it out. I'll help you avoid them but eventually you're going to have to give them an answer. For now, I'll tell Jongin to make up a good excuse. You know he's good at those." She winked.

And Nari could live to see another day. "Thanks, Sunhi. You're really so amazing."

"Don't tell me you're in love with me now?" Sunhi smirked.

Nari let out a giggle as Sunhi nudged her suggestively. She finally munched on her kimbap, her heart easing for the first time in a while. She must’ve saved a country in her past life to get such a wonderful friend like Sunhi.

In no time, the food was demolished. They stood to walk back to class but, when they checked their watches, they decided to waste the remaining ten minutes going in circles around the football field. They weren’t about to risk bumping into anyone after masterfully avoiding them.

The grass was moist from the autumn weather and left a nice shine on the shoes as they walked. Dead leaves floated down from the large tree by the bleachers, making a barrier of orange, brown and red.

In the silence, wand

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter