Saying Goodbye

Normalcy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun

The first time Sehun knew he was in love with Nari; it would be cliché if he said the first time they met, wouldn't it? But something about that memory – of the girl with scraped knees sitting in the dirt, too scared to ask the teachers for help – made his mind spin.

He was intrigued by her the moment she fainted on their first day of class. She was always alone and every lunch break she sat on the bench, watching as the kids played on the playground since no one wanted to be friends with the weird girl. Until one day, she got up from the bench and marched over to the playground. She stepped up to the monkey bars and reached as far up as she could until her hands grabbed the bar. Tirelessly pulling herself up, she made it across a few until her hands slipped, falling to the ground. The other kids stared at her momentarily, purely out of surprise, before forgetting it ever happened and playing again. And she just sat there. Her body crumpled on the floor with barely a whimper slipping from . Her quivering lips and helpless eyes called out to him; the shy boy too frightened to say hi to his fellow classmates. This was his chance.

Sehun scampered over to her, holding out a hand. And he could've sworn he saw an angel as her eyes shone like the bright lining of a dark cloud, staring at him with confusion. Nari took his hand hesitantly and followed him limply as he led her to the nurse’s office. She hid behind him, shaking uncontrollably as he spoke to the school nurse. They lay her on the bed, her eyes burning holes into the back of the nurse's head as she prepared the band-aids and antiseptic. Sehun was confused until Nari muttered to herself.

"I'm scared."

His eyes widened as she grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly. But, he didn't let go. She squeezed even tighter as the nurse dabbed the antiseptic on her scrapes but, he still couldn't let go. And from that moment on, he never did.

Sehun became anything he could for Nari. Bodyguard, therapist, chef, chauffeur, but most importantly, her best friend. Whenever she needed him, he was there, and if he wasn't he did everything he could to get there.

He used to think of it as brotherly instincts, a strange feeling that overcame all others. He wanted to protect her, care for her, keep her fragile heart safe. That was all. But as they grew older, he grew more selfish. He also wanted to hold her, kiss her, love her to his heart's content. However, that was only what he wanted. And he never stopped to think about what she wanted until their first week of high school.

Sehun thought they were happy the way they were. He thought he could be her safe place forever. But they were spending less time together, and she was making other friends. She had a meltdown, a thing he or her parents were only ever allowed to see but, someone else was there for her. Sehun couldn't help but feel scared as he saw her with Baekhyun, holding his hand as they walked back to the restaurant. He didn't want to admit he felt threatened. And it only got worse as she was rehearsing more and more for the arts festival. Days without seeing her face made his mind ache with worry. Insecurity built up inside him every time he'd see her walk around school with someone else until he couldn't take it anymore. He had to let her know and he had to get her answer. He couldn't wait for the right timing anymore. He probably should've waited.

In typical Nari style, she ran away as soon as he told her. She avoided him for days and he felt like he would go insane waiting for her to show up in front of him. No matter what he did, whatever trick he'd use to find her, she managed to slip away every time. It didn't matter anymore what her answer was, he just needed to see her.

Then finally, a message came. And she wanted to see him. And she did exactly what he knew she would. Well, at least now she was in his life, even if it wasn’t how he wished.

He pretended not to notice. Even before she knew it, he knew there was someone else on her mind. And when he turned back, deciding to walk her to class, and saw him, it became clear.

Sehun had lost his spot.

It became his turn to avoid her. She didn't need him anymore so, why hang around?

He'd persuaded Jongin somehow to play basketball in lunch break. Maybe exercise could take his mind off the scene that was playing on repeat in his head. They sat beside the court, heaving after a one-sided game that went to Jongin.

"Man, what's with you today? You normally wipe the floor with me,” Jongin said through heavy breaths.

Sehun shrugged.

"Something on your mind?"

He shrugged again.

"Your confession didn't go well then, I guess.”

He didn’t shrug this time.

"If you'd bothered to talk to me about these things, I could've helped you.” Jongin added. In fact, he hadn't gotten many words from Sehun since Nari's rehearsals began. It was like his mouth went on a holiday since the object of his affection wasn't around to pay attention to him. 

"It wouldn't have mattered.” Sehun sighed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter